ADVERTISEMENT

Story: Pac-12 Discussing 9 am PT Kickoffs With TV Partner

ScottHood

Nov 8, 2007
Some people seem to think there could be 1 or 2 this year.

Story: https://sports.yahoo.com/pac-12-exploring-ideas-of-9-am-pt-kickoffs-210351065.html

2d4fb650-ae56-11e9-9fc7-8a7bb13ca59c

Auuugh! I realize that we have sold our souls to the TV devil but this is ridiculous. I just cannot fathom tailgaters getting up at the crack of dawn to fry some eggs and bacon then sit down with a cup of coffee prior to wandering over to Martin. Just doesn't seem right. That said, it will probably happen. I hope that Limo Larry gets us a good deal. Not holding my breath for that.

Anyway, who do you think will end up with these 9am starts? USC, UCLA, Oregon, uw? Not my prediction. It'll be us or the Beavs or some other downtrodden scruffy little bastards that don't deserve any better. If this comes to fruition- and it sounds like it will- Chun and Schulz need to lean hard on the Limo man to assure that we are treated fairly and the big dogs participate as well in this farce.

Last edited:
Auuugh! I realize that we have sold our souls to the TV devil but this is ridiculous. I just cannot fathom tailgaters getting up at the crack of dawn to fry some eggs and bacon then sit down with a cup of coffee prior to wandering over to Martin. Just doesn't seem right. That said, it will probably happen. I hope that Limo Larry gets us a good deal. Not holding my breath for that.

Anyway, who do you think will end up with these 9am starts? USC, UCLA, Oregon, uw? Not my prediction. It'll be us or the Beavs or some other downtrodden scruffy little bastards that don't deserve any better. If this comes to fruition- and it sounds like it will- Chun and Schulz need to lean hard on the Limo man to assure that we are treated fairly and the big dogs participate as well in this farce.

Best guess will be games like OSU @ WSU and Arizona v. CU that won't draw eyeballs on a national level. The games that would have gone into the early afternoon slot on the Pac-12 Networks.

While I'm not a big fan of games starting that early in the morning, I would rather see the Pac-12 bite the bullet and feature one early game per week than two late games. If we want our conference to be relevant nationally, we need to have more games where the action is happening when people are awake. When a Pac-12 game kicks off at 7:30 pm PT, there is a very limited audience watching the completion of that game at 11 pm PT (2 am ET). I'm lucky enough that Coug games normally get done before 1:30 am in the Central time zone, but nobody that I know around here watches it that late.

A 9 am kickoff would suck for games in Pullman because of our remote location, but for most of the conference, it wouldn't be a huge deal.

Best guess will be games like OSU @ WSU and Arizona v. CU that won't draw eyeballs on a national level. The games that would have gone into the early afternoon slot on the Pac-12 Networks.

That makes no sense either if the whole point is to get national eyeballs on a game. No one on the east coast is going to ignore an exciting SEC, ACC or Big 10 showdown to watch a crap Pac-12 match up.

Reactions: earldacoug
Granted, Bo Schembechler was at Michigan, but his saying was something to the effect of "we're kicking off at 12:30, hope you can be there."

If no one on the East Coast cares about PAC 12 football, why is the conference breaking their backs to cater to fans 3,000 miles away!!!

Tell the networks if they want 9:30 kick offs on the East Coast to call New Mexico State!

I am not holding my breath on this one the AD and prez are trying too hard to be relevant but really do not have a clue

I am not holding my breath on this one the AD and prez are trying too hard to be relevant but really do not have a clue

Why do you think Chun and Schulz have any say whatsoever in TV times?

Some people seem to think there could be 1 or 2 this year.

Story: https://sports.yahoo.com/pac-12-exploring-ideas-of-9-am-pt-kickoffs-210351065.html

2d4fb650-ae56-11e9-9fc7-8a7bb13ca59c

This is a perfect idea for Utah and Colorado and the Az schools after Daylight Savings is over since they’re all Mountain Time and the newbies to the conference.

Why do you think Chun and Schulz have any say whatsoever in TV times?
I doubt that they do but if this proposal for early games is accepted, they can at least demand that the other conference schools spend their time in the barrel too. My fear is that if this comes into play that WSU will be scheduled for one every year or every other year. I cannot see USC, Oregon or the uw agreeing to take their turn. They are too important for such things.

That makes no sense either if the whole point is to get national eyeballs on a game. No one on the east coast is going to ignore an exciting SEC, ACC or Big 10 showdown to watch a crap Pac-12 match up.

The only time Pac-12 games are going to be featured are Thursday or Friday nights, and in the Saturday 5:00 time slot if there are no better SEC or Big-10 games.

Another example of the P12 chasing unicorns. Do they think that putting games on at Noon EST, people on the East Coast are going to tune into Arizona State vs. Oregon State or WSU vs. Cal?

Another example of the P12 chasing unicorns. Do they think that putting games on at Noon EST, people on the East Coast are going to tune into Arizona State vs. Oregon State or WSU vs. Cal?

I'm not sure that it's really about how many eyes are on the games as much as the idea that the results matter as they happen, rather than games being something that is read about the next day. Right now, the Pac-12 often has a couple games that are getting done after midnight on the east coast. So, when ESPN is talking about the games that happened around the country during a day, we aren't part of that conversation.

As one who tries to make every game as a same-day up & back trip, I’m not a fan of this idea. Forcing travelers to be on the road by 7 AM will be no better for attendance (maybe worse) than forcing them to be on it at 1 AM.

I also don’t believe it will lead to any significant increase in viewership during the game. But it will be more visible than the 7 PM starts, since highlights of the early games will be available in prime time nationwide.

Problem is see is that the PAC-12 under loser Larry will no doubt mishandle it. It’ll be bottom tier and small market games early, with our lowest graded officiating crews. If we really want to capitalize on visibility, the better teams and larger market teams really should be featured.

Simple fact is that ACC/SEC country don’t really care about the PAC-12. But they care even less about WSU/OSU/Cal than they do about USC/UO/UCLA.

9AM starts also seem like a good alternative for early season games in Tempe and Tucson.

I doubt that they do but if this proposal for early games is accepted, they can at least demand that the other conference schools spend their time in the barrel too. My fear is that if this comes into play that WSU will be scheduled for one every year or every other year. I cannot see USC, Oregon or the uw agreeing to take their turn. They are too important for such things.
Somewhere I read that Chip Kelly and WhatsHisName from Cal have already expressed interest in volunteering for a game like this, and WhatsHisName said he liked the idea for a road game because it would be easier to get his guys back home at a reasonable hour. Interesting point.

I don't have a strong opinion about this, maybe because I assume it would be distributed fairly, so maybe I'm just naive. Could screw up attendance, but I think enough people on the East Coast would want to watch some of the P12 games, and it would help make the conference more relevant. Loved the "scruffy little bastard" description. Hope that doesn't ever apply to the whole conference.

As one who tries to make every game as a same-day up & back trip, I’m not a fan of this idea. Forcing travelers to be on the road by 7 AM will be no better for attendance (maybe worse) than forcing them to be on it at 1 AM.

I also don’t believe it will lead to any significant increase in viewership during the game. But it will be more visible than the 7 PM starts, since highlights of the early games will be available in prime time nationwide.

Problem is see is that the PAC-12 under loser Larry will no doubt mishandle it. It’ll be bottom tier and small market games early, with our lowest graded officiating crews. If we really want to capitalize on visibility, the better teams and larger market teams really should be featured.

Simple fact is that ACC/SEC country don’t really care about the PAC-12. But they care even less about WSU/OSU/Cal than they do about USC/UO/UCLA.

9AM starts also seem like a good alternative for early season games in Tempe and Tucson.

Why the PAC 12 is trying to gain viewers on the East Coast when they haven't won over their own backyard is mind numbing to me. Who gives 2 shitts about being on TV in South Carolina???? No one from South Carolina cares about the PAC 12. Why is the conference being sold this bill of goods by the networks??? Probably because the leadership is dumb enough and desperate enough to listen. No ACC schools cares whether they're on TV in Pendleton, OR.

Building your brand starts with your region. Not 3,000 miles away. Until stadiums are packed in the PAC 12, there is plenty of work to be done here before there.

Simply amazing how bad Larry Scott is at his job.

Agree with all above.
I'm on the East Coast a lot, and college fans there don't know and don't care about the PAC12.
Football is in general very regional. There are very few "national teams", but is really seems like West Coast fans are much more knowledgeable about other football conferences then visa versa.

Why the PAC 12 is trying to gain viewers on the East Coast when they haven't won over their own backyard is mind numbing to me. Who gives 2 shitts about being on TV in South Carolina???? No one from South Carolina cares about the PAC 12. Why is the conference being sold this bill of goods by the networks??? Probably because the leadership is dumb enough and desperate enough to listen. No ACC schools cares whether they're on TV in Pendleton, OR.

Building your brand starts with your region. Not 3,000 miles away. Until stadiums are packed in the PAC 12, there is plenty of work to be done here before there.

Simply amazing how bad Larry Scott is at his job.
This is Larry doubling down on a bad bet. PAC-12 network revenues aren’t what he said they’d be, in large part because DirectTV won’t sign on. So...let’s expand the audience so that DirectTV wants to sign on. To do that, let’s play earlier and create more games the east coast can watch.

Never mind the fact that they won’t watch anyway. We’re not going to look that far down the road.

This is Larry doubling down on a bad bet. PAC-12 network revenues aren’t what he said they’d be, in large part because DirectTV won’t sign on. So...let’s expand the audience so that DirectTV wants to sign on. To do that, let’s play earlier and create more games the east coast can watch.

Never mind the fact that they won’t watch anyway. We’re not going to look that far down the road.

He can't dodge the two biggest issues. #1 the product. #2 winning your region.

From top to bottom the product needs to get better on the field. Every schools needs to get butts in the seats and eyes on the tvs. The PAC 12 as a whole does not know how to take care of people and put on a show like the SEC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT