ADVERTISEMENT

team is pathetic

longtimecoug

Hall Of Fame
Dec 22, 2002
no efense inside, giving up way too many layins, turnovers etc... won't win many more games, if any. losing Izundu? really hurts inside

I thought Clifford could have made an impact but didn't see him much. Izundu was becoming a bit of a liability. Teams learned he would overcommit to block shots and he also would allow easy putbacks. He has no offensive game as well.

Que finallly showed up and had a good offensive game. This is not a good team at all at the moment.

Really poor defensive effort tonight. Utah has struggled....had not scored more than 59 points in 5 games. But WSU has the ability to restore offensive confidence in teams. Just read that WSU has given up 90 points or more in three of the last four games. I had not seen the Cougars play much this year but caught the game on TV tonight, was amazed at the layup drill and the easy looks from 3 pt range. Either this team doesn't have the talent to play defense or they just aren't giving the effort. Either way, it's not pretty right now.

Glad Cougar

I thought Bone's team were a terrible defensive team. Just what does EK & his players work on in practice?

I remember some poster tell us that King was a good defender. He's one of the worst defensive players I've seen in years. Franks should be getting ALL of Clifford's and Boese's minutes from here on out. He will improve.

If you took Hawkinson off this roster I'd doubt they would win 1 Pac-12 game.

I thought Bone's team were a terrible defensive team. Just what does EK & his players work on in practice?

I remember some poster tell us that King was a good defender. He's one of the worst defensive players I've seen in years. Franks should be getting ALL of Clifford's and Boese's minutes from here on out. He will improve.

If you took Hawkinson off this roster I'd doubt they would win 1 Pac-12 game.

This team may not win another game the rest of the way. Whatever gains were made v. UCLA have vanished.

Agree with all the comments. And frankly I am sick and tired of Ernie Kent putting this on his players being soft. He gives them little chance. If you are playing Connor then you have to play zone as he is just too slow. When he is given a chance he is a good offensive player. He put a foul on Utah's center right away.

There are so many lousy defenders on this team, I wouldn't know where to start. The schemes are lousy. Slow us down with a simple zone press and this offense which is the worst scheme I have seen in years is worthless.

Not convinced that anything will change anytime soon. Kent has a fat contract and his assistants are all old buddies. 2017 is shaping up to be a devastating recruiting year. No commits and not very many offers out. According to Verbal Commits 7 spots and only 7 open offers.

As more of the previous coach's players leave, I see little coming in to replace them. Sorry to say its another 3-4 years of bottom dwelling. All of this is on Bill Moos he could have taken a chance and gotten a better Coach with some fresh ideas. These stale ideas went with Kent when he was dumped at Oregon.

Soft schedule (294th) led to soft team now ranked below UCSB, Oakland, Cal Poly. Hit the road like Dick Bennett did and teach these JC's what it takes. No, sit at home and loose to Idaho....sheesh.

I have no answers. All starts and ends with recruiting and with getting these players and coaches to answer the bell.

team is nor good but I don't think soft schedule had much to do with it

With no Izundu to spell Clifford, we're seeing a drop off there. I've notice teams increasingly attacking the paint with Izundu's absence. Of course, opposing players are blowing by the perimeter defenders in doing so, and that exposes either a lack of effort on defense or a lack of athleticism. Another factor is that, while Kent has upgraded the talent at WSU, other Pac-12 teams have recruited much better than the Cougars have. We'll have to wait for the post season to see how Pac-12 teams do before we can make such a conclusion, although UCLA's wins over top teams and other Pac-12 teams' successes OOC suggest the conference is tough.
Again, that's hardly an excuse for a poor defense and a glaring lack of a half-court offense. I just shake my head: "What in hell are they running?" whenever I watch this team, and I'm sure many of you do the same.
I want to say this is only Kent's second year, that, as it required four years for Leach to get past the Wulffian disaster, it may take as long for Kent to do the same to restore a footing following the erosion of the program under Bone. Patience - of which some here had plenty during the Bone debacle - is a virtue, but the state of men's BB right now is testing that.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT