ADVERTISEMENT

The BYU volleyball story...

ttowncoug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 9, 2001
Am I the only one that thinks BYU (students/faculty) would cover this up as much as humanly possible if this was true?

I honestly don't know what to make of this other than the girl making the allegations sounded pretty damn credible to me. She said something to her coaches during the game. I think she heard what she heard and to offer up no other explanation (misheard, etc.) only to say the volleyball player is lying or inferring that.

Am I the only one that thinks BYU (students/faculty) would cover this up as much as humanly possible if this was true?

I honestly don't know what to make of this other than the girl making the allegations sounded pretty damn credible to me. She said something to her coaches during the game. I think she heard what she heard and to offer up no other explanation (misheard, etc.) only to say the volleyball player is lying or inferring that.

What a travesty. BYU was Jesse Smollett-ed. There was zero corroboration on this supposed racist act. This is highly unlikely that another person wouldn't speak up and back up the accusation.

We see these things happen so frequently that I never believe the initial reports. Most are false. It is truly despicable behavior. It smears innocent people, businesses, and institutions. See links below of just a portion of examples.

We live in the least racist country in the world. These allegations are so damaging to society and those who perpetuate them should be punished harshly.

Of course, the cowardly BYU administration was tripping over itself to apologize and accept the accusation as truth from the beginning. They deserve contempt too.

Dawn Staley used some bizarre logic to cancel their basketball game at BYU later this year. Talk about special snowflakes. Very cynical and really weird.

Links to some past false racial accusations...

What a travesty. BYU was Jesse Smollett-ed. There was zero corroboration on this supposed racist act. This is highly unlikely that another person wouldn't speak up and back up the accusation.

We see these things happen so frequently that I never believe the initial reports. Most are false. It is truly despicable behavior. It smears innocent people, businesses, and institutions. See links below of just a portion of examples.

We live in the least racist country in the world. These allegations are so damaging to society and those who perpetuate them should be punished harshly.

Of course, the cowardly BYU administration was tripping over itself to apologize and accept the accusation as truth from the beginning. They deserve contempt too.

Dawn Staley used some bizarre logic to cancel their basketball game at BYU later this year. Talk about special snowflakes. Very cynical and really weird.

Links to some past false racial accusations...

Playing the white victim card - you just may be the biggest woke pu**y ever.

Strange story. If it didn’t happen I would bet the Duke player thought she heard something as opposed to making it up.

It's election season..so it is not surprising we get stupid leftist fairy tales pumped up by our corrupt lying corporate lapdog media to promote the bizarre idea that racism is rampant in the US.
FbWkwVyWQAQNfN3-1.jpg

Screen-Shot-2022-08-29-at-11.09.55-AM.png

Strange story. If it didn’t happen I would bet the Duke player thought she heard something as opposed to making it up.
There was video of at least 1 Duke player on the bench looking back up into the stands while Richardson was serving. Doesn't mean she heard anything at all or that it was objectionable, but the looks suggested it was something. Players deal with all kinds of ****. It seems like it would take a lot to even register.

Athletes are human but for a D1 athlete to make something up in the middle of a match doesn't pass the smell test IMO. I have wondered if someone might have been used a play on the word. Someone shouting "RICHARD-son" rhymes with ***** and in a big crowd could get lost other than to the target. The other thing, the Utah Valley student came up to Richardson after the match and said he confused her with a BYU player. That makes no sense. Most of BYU's roster is blond, and no players of color.

It sounds like they put in the effort, particularly with the video review. Probably should have farmed it out for independent review though.

I got called whitey, cracker, and white bread by black players every time I ran hoop in Bohler. I survived.
Funny, but how exactly does that equate? I had a friend who called me "Opie" and trust me I did not look like little Ronny Howard. Ask your wife or a female friend if she's ok being called the c-word. Maybe she can explain how your struggle doesn't quite equate.

Funny, but how exactly does that equate? I had a friend who called me "Opie" and trust me I did not look like little Ronny Howard. Ask your wife or a female friend if she's ok being called the c-word. Maybe she can explain how your struggle doesn't quite equate.
I’m listening to a book right now in which the (female) author makes a reasonable linguistic/etymological argument that women should prefer the c-word over the V.

Apparently in its historical (Latin) usage, “vagina” was simply a sheath or scabbard. She argues that this means women are accepting their anatomy being labeled as secondary to men, specifically as a receptacle or storage bin for his “sword.” She referenced other slang terms like “cocksheath” as similar. By contrast, the c-word refers directly to female anatomy on its own terms and always has, without making it accessory to a male unit. Her theory was that it should be “more empowering.”

I shared this theory with my wife. She was unconvinced.

I’m listening to a book right now in which the (female) author makes a reasonable linguistic/etymological argument that women should prefer the c-word over the V.

Apparently in its historical (Latin) usage, “vagina” was simply a sheath or scabbard. She argues that this means women are accepting their anatomy being labeled as secondary to men, specifically as a receptacle or storage bin for his “sword.” She referenced other slang terms like “cocksheath” as similar. By contrast, the c-word refers directly to female anatomy on its own terms and always has, without making it accessory to a male unit. Her theory was that it should be “more empowering.”

I shared this theory with my wife. She was unconvinced.
I was going to ask how that explanation has worked out for you. I don't see it flying with most. Use that word in the US around American women lands in a specific way. It has weight that "whitey" and "cracker" doesn't possess. I think most people understand that even if it bothers them for whatever reason.

Call someone a racist and they typically flip out. That's definitely thrown around far too often IMO, but it triggers a much bigger response than "white bread" ever will.

I’m also Italian American with a vowel heavy last name. I was called every slang in the book growing up. Guido, WOP, spaghetti tosser.

People say dumb things. All people, from all races.

Reactions: acgcoug
I’m not saying it did or didn’t happen, but kind of a funny discussion for a place where people resort to name calling when their fee-fees are hurt.

I’m also Italian American with a vowel heavy last name. I was called every slang in the book growing up. Guido, WOP, spaghetti tosser.

People say dumb things. All people, from all races.
Sorry patrol not even close for historical reasons alone .

And I am sure if someone did call her that she will survive as well . Not sure what her motivation would be to claim she heard something , and as Save said maybe someone was telling something similar but not the word . Or maybe a bunch of frat kids went and they don’t want to rat out the person who did it . Has this player ever accused another crowd of doing likewise ?

Last edited:
The C word is a no no only in the USA. In all other English speaking countries its just simply vulgar and used freely as the B word here. The N word is used freely in the black community, often a term of affection, but is fighting words if spoken by anyone else. So context for any progorative is important, their are no absolutes.

Context --

Mormons saying the N word, due to their blacks' bear the mark of Cain/spiritually inferior/can't be member of the "priesthood" history, probably heightened the context in this case and the sensitivity. BYU fans have a long history of being accused of throwing the N word around in sporting events. Fair or not. Do I trust BYU's investigation -- hell no. With religions, protecting your faith always outweighs truth. Churches lie to protect themselves first and foremost, until they can't deny anymore. Likewise, absent corroboration, I can't trust her word for it either.

That said, let's not kid ourselves, if as a religion you teach. for more than 100 years, that non-whites are spiritually inferior, the same as the Aryan nations, you aren't going to be able to turn off the rampant racism it engenders simply because your prophet wakes up one morning, 40 years ago, and says "oops! nevermind." Human's have a natural tendency towards bigotry to begin with, throw in religious dogma fully supporting it, and you have an extra toxic brew which will persist for generations.

Because this occurred in a community that religiously has a history of being the farthest thing from the Quakers, outside of the White Nationalist movement, I'm giving the girl the benefit of the doubt.

BYU has many minority students, black, Asian and a load of Poly’s that I imagine have very little tolerance for racial epithets. Implying they have somehow normalized that behavior is stretch. Political correctness didnt leapfrog BYU because it’s full of LDS.

Reactions: acgcoug
Sorry patrol not even close for historical reasons alone .

And I am sure if someone did call her that she will survive as well . Not sure what her motivation would be to claim she heard something , and as Save said maybe someone was telling something similar but not the word . Or maybe a bunch of frat kids went and they don’t want to eat out the person who did it . Has this player ever accused another crowd of doing likewise ?
Historical reasons? I’m talking about what happened to me in my life. Italians were marginalized as much or more as Hispanics are today.

I don’t need you to lecture me on how my being called a spaghetti tosser fits into the hierarchy of racism. America is the least racist Nation in the world, but people make stupid comments. That’s never going to change.

The C word is a no no only in the USA. In all other English speaking countries its just simply vulgar and used freely as the B word here. The N word is used freely in the black community, often a term of affection, but is fighting words if spoken by anyone else. So context for any progorative is important, their are no absolutes.

Context --

Mormons saying the N word, due to their blacks' bear the mark of Cain/spiritually inferior/can't be member of the "priesthood" history, probably heightened the context in this case and the sensitivity. BYU fans have a long history of being accused of throwing the N word around in sporting events. Fair or not. Do I trust BYU's investigation -- hell no. With religions, protecting your faith always outweighs truth. Churches lie to protect themselves first and foremost, until they can't deny anymore. Likewise, absent corroboration, I can't trust her word for it either.

That said, let's not kid ourselves, if as a religion you teach. for more than 100 years, that non-whites are spiritually inferior, the same as the Aryan nations, you aren't going to be able to turn off the rampant racism it engenders simply because your prophet wakes up one morning, 40 years ago, and says "oops! nevermind." Human's have a natural tendency towards bigotry to begin with, throw in religious dogma fully supporting it, and you have an extra toxic brew which will persist for generations.

Because this occurred in a community that religiously has a history of being the farthest thing from the Quakers, outside of the White Nationalist movement, I'm giving the girl the benefit of the doubt.
There are lots of extreme fundamentalists within the Mormon religion, including white nationalists/supremacists.
I’m giving that girl the benefit of a doubt too.

Last edited:
Historical reasons? I’m talking about what happened to me in my life. Italians were marginalized as much or more as Hispanics are today.

I don’t need you to lecture me on how my being called a spaghetti tosser fits into the hierarchy of racism. America is the least racist Nation in the world, but people make stupid comments. That’s never going to change.
Did anti-Italian sentiment help a presidential candidate get elected? Were Italians continually vilified by a standing US president and were they referred to as “invaders” and blamed for this country’s drug problems by republicans and rightwing media? Did they get harassed by ICE?

BYU has many minority students, black, Asian and a load of Poly’s that I imagine have very little tolerance for racial epithets. Implying they have somehow normalized that behavior is stretch. Political correctness didnt leapfrog BYU because it’s full of LDS.
1.9% Asian, 0.4% black. 0.7% Pacific Islander. That’s nothing.

7.3% are Hispanic but that’s a complicated thing as it’s a very broad brush - I know a few “Hispanics” that identify as white and some Hispanics don’t get along with blacks.

Equating not calling someone the N-word or similar with political correctness is really troubling. Not throwing racial slurs around is basic human decency, not political correctness. "Political correctness" is a prerogative used to refer an extreme or unreasonable efforts to avoid excluding or offending any one -- terms like Latinx, LGBTQI+ and "handi-able" come to mind.

That said, yep there is a ton of diversity at BYU -- 1.85%, asian, 0.67% islander, 0.39% black, it is friggin multi-cultural U!

Reactions: Cougini5591
“America is the least racist Nation in the world”
Clearly you’ve never been to North Idaho or the Spokane Valley. Hell, I’ll toss in the city of Spokane too for good measure. And it’s not just the dumb yokels either - some of the most racist sh*t I’ve ever witnessed took place at The Spokane Club ( granted it was 40 some years ago).

And as a 23-year resident of Oregon I can say that this state has a nasty history of racism and it’s alive and doing well here.

Last edited:
Clearly you’ve never been to North Idaho or the Spokane Valley. Hell, I’ll toss in the city of Spokane too for good measure. And it’s not just the dumb yokels either - some of the most racist sh*t I’ve ever witnessed took place at The Spokane Club ( granted it was 40 some years ago).

And as a 23-year resident of Oregon I can say that this state has a nasty history of racism and it’s alive and doing well here.
I’ve traveled around world extensively in my career. The USA is far and away the most culturally, racially, spiritually, and sexually diverse Nation in the world.

I’ve traveled around world extensively in my career. The USA is far and away the most culturally, racially, spiritually, and sexually diverse Nation in the world.
I’ve travelled extensively too and wife has family overseas that we’ve visited multiple times but it’s all meaningless because it’s anecdotal. Travel doesn’t give you the true lay of the land unless you truly live somewhere.

I’ve travelled extensively too and wife has family overseas that we’ve visited multiple times but it’s all meaningless because it’s anecdotal. Travel doesn’t give you the true lay of the land unless you truly live somewhere.
You’re right, but it’s formed my opinion, and nobody; particularly anyone on this board is going to change it.

Not to mention fascists regurgitating Tucker Carlson rants about white victimhood.

I don't watch corporate media, including Carlson, so I wouldn't know.

Remember the summer-long leftist funded riots of 2020? Federal buildings attacked, police buildings torched, numerous businesses destroyed, dozens killed, etc.

By that wasn't an "insurrection." Nah.

There was video of at least 1 Duke player on the bench looking back up into the stands while Richardson was serving. Doesn't mean she heard anything at all or that it was objectionable, but the looks suggested it was something. Players deal with all kinds of ****. It seems like it would take a lot to even register.

Athletes are human but for a D1 athlete to make something up in the middle of a match doesn't pass the smell test IMO. I have wondered if someone might have been used a play on the word. Someone shouting "RICHARD-son" rhymes with ***** and in a big crowd could get lost other than to the target. The other thing, the Utah Valley student came up to Richardson after the match and said he confused her with a BYU player. That makes no sense. Most of BYU's roster is blond, and no players of color.

I didn't notice...but I don't pay attention to skin color. It is all about character.

If she heard it, others would have too. That’s a lot of people to collaborate in coverup. BYU is an easy target. Looking forward to ESPN and CNN’s correction and apology, which will never come.
The only thing I'll say on the matter is that the entire Duke team should have heard it, especially if it happened more than once. Yet nobody from her own team corroborated her claim, and are in fact notably silent. Why is that?

I don't watch corporate media, including Carlson, so I wouldn't know.

Remember the summer-long leftist funded riots of 2020? Federal buildings attacked, police buildings torched, numerous businesses destroyed, dozens killed, etc.

By that wasn't an "insurrection." Nah.
It’s interesting how some folks condemn some extremist radicals and not others because of which team they’re on. They’re all a danger to our society but to vastly differing degrees. Your weak false equivalency argument is a joke.
And while you may not watch rightwing corporate media most of your ideas are the same nonsense filtered through the secondary sources that fill your head.

Sure you did. That's why Spokane elected a black mayor 41 years ago with a 24 point victory margin. That happens in completely racist towns.

Did you force mommy and daddy to resign their Spokane Club membership?

It’s interesting how some folks condemn some extremist radicals and not others because of which team they’re on. They’re all a danger to our society but to vastly differing degrees. Your weak false equivalency argument is a joke.
And while you may not watch rightwing corporate media most of your ideas are the same nonsense filtered through the secondary sources that fill your head.

It isn't equivalent. But not in the way you think.

Basically, the attack on government -local and federal - in summer 2020 was essentially completely downplayed or "forgotten" by corrupt lying lapdog corporate media. You won't even acknowledge that. You are part of the problem.

As for Jan 6 "insurrection." The first unarmed insurrection in world history.

If anyone broke the law, they should be prosecuted. They should not, however, be held in solitary confinement for months as political prisoners. That is what China and other totalitarian governments do. That is what we do now.

Reactions: Observer11

I stand by my statement. But please do put forth the country that you think is less racist? I'm all ears.

Notice these types of statements about how racist we are come from folks living in areas that are dominated by Caucasians? No doubt you are upper middle class and need to virtue signal regularly...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT