ADVERTISEMENT

The BYU volleyball story...

Edit: (Sorry quote failed, was responding to Flats second paragraph)

This. I wore the BLM mask in direct response to a thin blue line flag being flown at my workplace. Nothing wrong with supporting police in general, however that flag is a direct response to police violence against blacks, and is used by groups who seem to be ok with Floyd being killed, or the variety of other lives lost to no purpose. What I found out is that it will get you written up and have your job threatened, while the flag is deemed ok (even though lawsuits have already been won due to an organization flying that flag). I also learned I am fully capable of putting in my notice with no job lined up because I will not knowingly participate in that environment. Best decision I ever made.

I don't doubt that BLM has its issues but the truth is that people hated BLM the first moment the phrase was used. Also, I've been around long enough to know that 90% of the opinions about BLM are based on hate of the idea rather than any actual corruption in the organization. They undoubtedly have their issues and I'm sure because people are involved, someone is doing something bad, but that doesn't mean that the whole organization or purpose is bad. I'm frequently told that we shouldn't categorize all cops as bad, cowardly or corrupt just because some of them are bad, cowardly or corrupt.

When the kneejerk reaction to "Black Lives Matter" was for white people to start yelling, "All Lives Matter!" or "Blue Lives Matter!".....you know that you aren't dealing with a rational response but instead a purely emotional one.

FWIW.....you did prove MRI's point...so there is that. Based on your perceptions, you would instantly judge a person based on that mask. To be fair, when I see someone wearing a "Trump 2024" mask, I automatically think negative things about them too. We all discriminate and judge in our own ways.
Flat, you're talking out of your kiester.

When people see BLM, whether correct or not, and it's associated with generalized anarchy, the destruction of private and government property, then yeah people are going to have a negative perception of it.

Regardless of that, BLM is a sham organization that seeks only to enrich the founders/leaders.

I think this statement in and of itself is exactly proof of what I am saying.
Proof of what exactly? Look, your views on BLM and the African-American community are your own, as are mine.

Unlike 99% of the people in this thread, I didn't grow up in Northern Idaho, Eastern WA, rural Oregon, or the Midwest. My family is from Lawrence, MA and my formative years were spent in in the Philadelphia suburbs. Racism and culturalism in that part of America is completely different than what it is in the Pacific NW. The black, Hispanic, Asian, Italian, Irish, etc. communities butt heads with one another, and have for decades. Say or wear BLM in my hometown of Lawrence (77% Latino), and you're more likely to get a black eye than a simple eyeroll.

My point here is that so often we read message board or Twitter comments and become unglued when someone dares to have a contrary opinion. We don't take the time, nor do we care to understand how their opinion may have been shaped. I know for me, my opinion of black culture in America is likely much more harsh than someone from Seattle. Black lives matter as much as every life matters. Equality of opportunity for all of humanity is the goal, but organizations like BLM aren't activists, they're capitalists. They have zero interest in making substantive change within the black community.

Proof of what exactly? Look, your views on BLM and the African-American community are your own, as are mine.

Unlike 99% of the people in this thread, I didn't grow up in Northern Idaho, Eastern WA, rural Oregon, or the Midwest. My family is from Lawrence, MA and my formative years were spent in in the Philadelphia suburbs. Racism and culturalism in that part of America is completely different than what it is in the Pacific NW. The black, Hispanic, Asian, Italian, Irish, etc. communities butt heads with one another, and have for decades. Say or wear BLM in my hometown of Lawrence (77% Latino), and you're more likely to get a black eye than a simple eyeroll.

My point here is that so often we read message board or Twitter comments and become unglued when someone dares to have a contrary opinion. We don't take the time, nor do we care to understand how their opinion may have been shaped. I know for me, my opinion of black culture in America is likely much more harsh than someone from Seattle. Black lives matter as much as every life matters. Equality of opportunity for all of humanity is the goal, but organizations like BLM aren't activists, they're capitalists. They have zero interest in making substantive change within the black community.
While you may be right for a lot of people, its not the difference of opinion, its the parroting of political talking points that, for the most part, are founded in deceit. That's both sides, idgaf which team you're on, when you say stupid shit that makes it obvious you've done little to no critical thinking on the matter, or any research into the matter, then yeah it irks me.

Usually not enough to argue on the internet about it, but apparently I've been too content with my life so I've decided to add the aggravation of joining this asinine thread.

Reactions: WindyCityCoug
Edit: (Sorry quote failed, was responding to Flats second paragraph)

This. I wore the BLM mask in direct response to a thin blue line flag being flown at my workplace. Nothing wrong with supporting police in general, however that flag is a direct response to police violence against blacks, and is used by groups who seem to be ok with Floyd being killed, or the variety of other lives lost to no purpose. What I found out is that it will get you written up and have your job threatened, while the flag is deemed ok (even though lawsuits have already been won due to an organization flying that flag). I also learned I am fully capable of putting in my notice with no job lined up because I will not knowingly participate in that environment. Best decision I ever made.
Maybe it isn't ONLY the mask but the wearer of the mask? So you wore the mask in direct response to a co-worker office décor because you disagreed with it message. You were looking to produce a negative response by wearing the mask (I wore the BLM mask in direct response to a thin blue line flag being flown at my workplace.) not to support BLM. Looks like a good example of why people get negative feedback after wearing a BLM swag, very similar to those that wear MAGA crap. Yup feel proud you took a stand and made a difference, just not the difference that helps those your state to support.

Patrol, I may not agree with where you land on certain things. However, FWIW I do appreciate your consistent tone from what I have seen when you post your viewpoint on difficult and often polarizing topics.

Anyway, cheers!

Patrol, I may not agree with where you land on certain things. However, FWIW I do appreciate your consistent tone from what I have seen when you post your viewpoint on difficult and often polarizing topics.

Anyway, cheers!
Thanks man, I appreciate that. Despite how I sometimes come across, I'm solidly centered on most of the issues we debate on here. The social divide has taken a toll on my mental health, and I long for the day that the moderates reclaim their voice as it relates to governorship.

Patrol, i may disagree with you but fully appreciate your position and how life has formed your opinions. You are right, we are a young nation. Where you may think that is a reason for growing pains, and that maybe we should be ok where we are, I take the following thought process.

Here is something I take serious, hold it close to me...."We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare"....it doesn't say woke left, or doesn't say ultra maga right, it says "We the people". And i take what the forefathers had setout, to form a more perfect union.

Where you may see we have come a long way, and "How did that happen to me" compares us to every other nation in the country, I must ask... why? How do we fix a problem if we don't even know it exists. Take the duke volleyball player. As some have suggested, it was a political stunt. Other evidence points out she told a teammate, they had security look into it. Maybe it wasn't politically motivated. Maybe it did happen. Maybe she misheard what the guy was yelling. Maybe the dude has Tourette's and screams out things he doesn't mean to say. But the easy fallback for some, it is the actor in Chicago all over again.

I have personally seen racism. I still see it today. Overt, on purpose, not sure , it is hard to see into someone's heart, But doesn't mean we shouldnt try to fix it. How comfortable do you think 99% of the people on this board would be going into your old neighborhood in Philly?

I get your feelings on BLM. But tell me how they get their voices heard? Tell me how they protest to facilitate change. The truth is there is zero they could do that wouldn't objectionable. Why? because In part those who object dont believe racism exists in their mind or their world.

Here are several things I have seen in Seattle. A family of 5 goes on the Victoria Clipper. Four are immediate relatives. Mom from Italy and three of her kids. One child pasty white. The others had color to their skin. Could be from many places. The fifth person in the group was an aunt, their father's sister. She is part black, along with native american and irish. The aunt was late 50's. One person got pulled over and searched as they went on the clipper, care to guess which one?

Patrol you are right. You can do anything in this country, but reminds me of Chris Rock telling about the difference between being white and black in America. He said in his exclusive neighborhood in Jersey there are three black families. Chris Rock, Eddie Murphy and Beyonce. Then goes on to say his next door neighbor is a dentist. Not the greatest dentist, just a dentist.

I know you have two sons, they have to becoming drivers age pretty soon. Do you need to talk to them about being pulled over by the police, do you worry if they get pulled over by the police?

I would venture to say many of the parents of the football players we follow live that concern every time their child gets behind the wheel.

Food for thought..

And I hope JDL doesn't find magic in one game and it is against the Cougs...he looked great in first series against MSU and then fell apart.

Last edited:
This thread reminds me how limited we are in our understanding of race relations in our own back yard. Willie may tick people off, but he is not at all wrong in stating our own area has plenty of racist activity. Hayden, the attempted bombing of the MLK parade in Spokane? Hell if you really want to have a good time wear a BLM mask (you don’t need to join, just wear one in public) and watch the reactions from people you thought you knew. Honestly the younger people were, the more overall tolerant they were, but eye opening none the less. Folks thinking it is not around because they don’t witness it are only fooling themselves. It may be a minority of people but they exist in all geographic areas of our country, some areas more than others. Oddly wearing a BLM mask in Pullman was mostly ok, in Colfax you were looked at like you were going to start a riot. People are weird.

I have contempt for BLM because they are a deeply corrupt organization extorting money from cowardly corporations...and don't give a damn about racism. They are a big scam.

Patrol, i may disagree with you but fully appreciate your position and how life has formed your opinions. You are right, we are a young nation. Where you may think that is a reason for growing pains, and that maybe we should be ok where we are, I take the following thought process.

Here is something I take serious, hold it close to me...."We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare"....it doesn't say woke left, or doesn't say ultra maga right, it says "We the people". And i take what the forefathers had setout, to form a more perfect union.

Where you may see we have come a long way, and "How did that happen to me" compares us to every other nation in the country, I must ask... why? How do we fix a problem if we don't even know it exists. Take the duke volleyball player. As some have suggested, it was a political stunt. Other evidence points out she told a teammate, they had security look into it. Maybe it wasn't politically motivated. Maybe it did happen. Maybe she misheard what the guy was yelling. Maybe the dude has Tourette's and screams out things he doesn't mean to say. But the easy fallback for some, it is the actor in Chicago all over again.

I have personally seen racism. I still see it today. Overt, on purpose, it is hard to see into someone's heart, But doesn't mean we should try to fix it. How comfortable do you think 99% of the people on this board would be going into your old neighborhood in Philly?

I get your feelings on BLM. But tell me how they get their voices heard? Tell me how they protest to facilitate change. The truth is there is zero they could do that wouldn't objectionable. Why? because In part those who object dont believe racism exists in their mind or their world.

Here are several things I have seen in Seattle. A family of 5 goes on the Victoria Clipper. Four are immediate relatives. Mom from Italy and three of her kids. One child pasty white. The others had color to their skin. Could be from many places. The fifth person in the group was an aunt, their father's sister. She is part black, along with native american and irish. The aunt was late 50's. One person got pulled over and searched as they went on the clipper, care to guess which one?

Patrol you are right. You can do anything in this country, but reminds me of Chris Rock telling about the difference between being white and black in America. He said in his exclusive neighborhood in Jersey there are three black families. Chris Rock, Eddie Murphy and Beyonce. Then goes on to say his next door neighbor is a dentist. Not the greatest dentist, just a dentist.

I know you have two sons, they have to becoming drivers age pretty soon. Do you need to talk to them about being pulled over by the police, do you worry if they get pulled over by the police?

I would venture to say many of the parents of the football players we follow live that concern every time their child gets behind the wheel.

Food for thought....and I hope JDL doesn't find magic in one game and it is against the Cougs...he looked great in first series against MSU and then fell apart.

Important note...when it states "...to form a more perfect union..." this has nothing to do with moral perfection as a country, despite what many believe. This is a critical point.

Important note...when it states "...to form a more perfect union..." this has nothing to do with moral perfection as a country, despite what many believe. This is a critical point.
It isn’t a critical point . No one is asking for perfection. My mom was very conservative … she didn’t see stuff like this as right wing or left wing… she saw it as human decency…as do I.

You come across as … we let them out if their chains and we let them vote … what more do you want .

And no I don’t want to compare us to other countries . I will compare us to what we are capable of doing

Reactions: spongeandshoot
It's not the job of Hollywood or big business or government to make people think beyond their cozy little world and the boxes we put people in. That's arrogant. Only God had that right via religious text and teaching.

The arrogant woke left is far worse than the Moral Majority, that they despised, in their heyday. It isn't even close. Kind of ironic.
The philosophy expressed in your first paragraph is completely nuts. It is the "job" on everyone to make people "think" outside their cozy little boxes, from parents, brothers, sisters, friends, and me responding to your frightening post.

The only people who espouse this "one truth" crap are totalitarians and religious nut jobs. George Orwell, Orson Wells, Dali, and on and on, have and had just much right and duty to make people think outside their cozy little boxes as the cabal of largely backward "stone age" authors who wrote and produced very similar works of art and fiction known as the Bible, Koran, Bhagavad Gita etc.

You and your "God" probably disagree, granted, but this is a deity that the Bible, assuming it isn't fiction and is divinely inspired, admits committed mass murder on a global scale, killing millions of men, women and children, including hardly wicked newborns, in the great flood, among many other crimes against humanity. As a result, I now sure he and his teachings are any better than the crap Hollywood, big business and government spew out. Don't get me started on what the Bible admits he did to Job, his most saintly, loyal and devout follower. If true, it was unwarranted cruelty to an extreme that would make even a complete rotter like Stalin blush.

I do agree with your second paragraph, but would put the "woke left" on even footing with the fundamentalist right. Personally, I don't want to be forced fed, "I have a friend (imaginary) in Jesus" nonsense, anymore than being shamed because I eat meat, drive a gas power car and point to the long history of misguided environmental alarmism. (We have a major plastic problem today because environmentalist, with the aid of Big Petroleum, made us stop using paper because it would be better for the environment. )

It isn’t a critical point . No one is asking for perfection. My mom was very conservative … she didn’t see stuff like this as right wing or left wing… she saw it as human decency…as do I.

You come across as … we let them out if their chains and we let them vote … what more do you want .

And no I don’t want to compare us to other countries . I will compare us to what we are capable of doing

No...your ideology let them out of their chains after a civil war. The same ideology that interred 120000 Japanese-Americans during WW2.

We have created the least racist country on earth. You want to flush out every "racist" and punish them for the rest of their lives. That is a sick religion.

You can see the issue, right? Your story is as credible as the Duke player's? Because people can, and do, just randomly say shit for... idk, attention?

Also, I know the narrative and language have changed, but don't get it twisted: witnessing someone be a mouth-breathing bigot is not the same as witnessing or being subjected to "racism" as most of us understand it. Which in itself is an issue, because "racism" has become a catch-all to describe any perceived injustice where any POC is involved. That is not to say any of that doesn't exist - it does - but constantly referring to everything as "racism" dilutes the message and makes it harder to convince non-POC that there is a real problem.
No, I don’t see an issue because there isn’t one. But you’re certainly trying hard and flailing to manufacture one. I did not call anyone out specifically nor did I identify who or what happened. Was it a patron? Was it the establishment? My only point was that socioeconomic status is not a barrier.

No...your ideology let them out of their chains after a civil war. The same ideology that interred 120000 Japanese-Americans during WW2.

We have created the least racist country on earth. You want to flush out every "racist" and punish them for the rest of their lives. That is a sick religion.
My “ideology”? Hmmm. I do have hillbillies from Wva as relatives that I am sure got their labor for free. . So I am in the same boat as most who have had ancestors who have a little blood on their hands.

Religion- punishing racists for the rest of their lives ? Not sure what you mean . If I see racist behavior are you saying I should just shake my head and say “well we are the least racist country in the world” .

And as a person (you) who comes across with some heavy religious slants, I will say the following … the racists you feel bad for will be punished , just not by the people of this earth .

Not sure being a racist is good Christian behavior ….

Last edited:
If I see racist behavior are you saying I should just shake my head and say “well we are the least racist country in the world” .
Well he and a few other posters here are saying just that.

In my experience the people who believe the narrative about the US being the least racist country generally fall into 2 buckets, a) they live in a place that is mostly white and don’t see much or interact much with minorities in any meaningful ways, or b) they live in a city with lots of diversity and believe they are part of some utopian multicultural experience but again don’t actually interact with minorities in anything but a superficial way.

We just had a president that used race baiting to mobilize a particularly nasty segment of rightwing America and normalized this behavior to charge and enhance his base while many Americans shrugged it off and looked the other way or worse they started bitching constantly about Obama’s birth certificate and ranting about illegal immigrants and the wall. This is how people get radicalized AND NOT because they got called out for sticking their heads in the sands while holding hands with white nationalists like the proud boys ( what a complete load of shit that assertion is).

Last edited:
I'm certainly not going to sit here and defend "how" in pretty much any of his beliefs and positions...and to say we are the least racist country is nearly impossible to measure objectively. However, for the sake of this bar room discussion, if the uSA isn't the least racist, then who would be? We may not be all that great in many areas, but who would be considered better? And who is more culturally diverse than the uSA.

I can't help but always think of this when I see the parade of nations during the Olympics. What other country out there has a representation of athletes like we do? No one. Taihtsat

I'm certainly not going to sit here and defend "how" in pretty much any of his beliefs and positions...and to say we are the least racist country is nearly impossible to measure objectively. However, for the sake of this bar room discussion, if the uSA isn't the least racist, then who would be? We may not be all that great in many areas, but who would be considered better? And who is more culturally diverse than the uSA.

I can't help but always think of this when I see the parade of nations during the Olympics. What other country out there has a representation of athletes like we do? No one. Taihtsat
And yet some on the right are exploiting that diversity to divide us - look at what Ron Desantis pulled in Martha’s Vineyard: race baiting and owning the libtards - proven winners with rightwing lunatics.

Well said. The US is the mongrel melting pot of the world. And we kick ass at that. So we (finally) agree on something - other countries need to catch up to us. And we're 200 meters ahead of the rest of the field despite what the glass half empty nay sayers want to spout.

In the words of Eric Stratton, I'm not going to let you sit there and badmouth the United States of America. Or Spokane. Or N. Idaho or even the Spokane Club.

Gentlemen.

Well said. The US is the mongrel melting pot of the world. And we kick ass at that. So we (finally) agree on something - other countries need to catch up to us. And we're 200 meters ahead of the rest of the field despite what the glass half empty nay sayers want to spout.

In the words of Eric Stratton, I'm not going to let you sit there and badmouth the United States of America. Or Spokane. Or N. Idaho or even the Spokane Club.

Gentlemen.
Sorry sir, but your post is missing some critically required content:

• Haha
Reactions: SaveFerris

This is all quite subjective, but since you tee'd it up, at least one academic efforts to quantify racism, least to most, is as follows:

CountryRanking 2022 Population
Netherlands117,564,014
Canada238,454,327
New Zealand35,185,288
Sweden410,549,347
Denmark55,882,261
Finland65,540,745
Switzerland78,740,472
Norway85,434,319
Belgium911,655,930
Austria108,939,617
France1164,626,628
Ireland125,023,109
Australia1326,177,413
Portugal1410,270,865
Greece1510,384,971
United Kingdom1667,508,936
Germany1783,369,843
Brazil18215,313,498
Italy1959,037,474
Spain2047,558,630

This is all quite subjective, but since you tee'd it up, at least one academic efforts to quantify racism, least to most, is as follows:

CountryRanking2022 Population
Netherlands117,564,014
Canada238,454,327
New Zealand35,185,288
Sweden410,549,347
Denmark55,882,261
Finland65,540,745
Switzerland78,740,472
Norway85,434,319
Belgium911,655,930
Austria108,939,617
France1164,626,628
Ireland125,023,109
Australia1326,177,413
Portugal1410,270,865
Greece1510,384,971
United Kingdom1667,508,936
Germany1783,369,843
Brazil18215,313,498
Italy1959,037,474
Spain2047,558,630
But based on what metrics? Link to the original study? What is the definition of race and how many were considered and were the countries controlled for variables so it becomes and apples to apples situation. So many factors to weigh. Not a single one of those countries is as ethnically or culturally diverse as we are.

Even we just just limit it to the uS vs the Netherlands and JUST compare African Americans - exactly what is being measured (job advancement, electability, representation in media, education outcomes, incarceration, access to healthcare etc.) I'm sure we do pale in several of those areas...but in proportion to the whole representation of the population (it's about 11% AA here) then what does it show. It's possible I suppose. I'm just skeptical it's an actual fair comparison. Taihtsat

But based on what metrics? Link to the original study? What is the definition of race and how many were considered and were the countries controlled for variables so it becomes and apples to apples situation. So many factors to weigh. Not a single one of those countries is as ethnically or culturally diverse as we are.

Even we just just limit it to the uS vs the Netherlands and JUST compare African Americans - exactly what is being measured (job advancement, electability, representation in media, education outcomes, incarceration, access to healthcare etc.) I'm sure we do pale in several of those areas...but in proportion to the whole representation of the population (it's about 11% AA here) then what does it show. It's possible I suppose. I'm just skeptical it's an actual fair comparison. Taihtsat

There's not a chance in hell the United States is more racist than China. See also the Uyghurs.

And Ukraine essentially tied with the US? There's an active battalion of actual Neo-Nazis in the Ukraine army.

Belarus? Nah. Not buying it.

Ya think maybe Russian disinformation?

There's not a chance in hell the United States is more racist than China. See also the Uyghurs.

And Ukraine essentially tied with the US? There's an active battalion of actual Neo-Nazis in the Ukraine army.

cnn-stelter-reliable-sources.jpg

• Haha

You’re calling the Ukraine racist? Accounting for north Idaho’s history with Nazis would you say that The Ukraine is more or less racist than north Idaho? And how do you decide?

You’re calling the Ukraine racist? Accounting for north Idaho’s history with Nazis would you say that The Ukraine is more or less racist than north Idaho? And how do you decide?

Idaho doesn’t have a regiment in its National Guard affiliated and originated from/named after members of the Azov Movement.

Next question.

Are people overly picking on the USA, yes absolutely. But we we tend to make it easy for them too. How many other countries have had a large racist get-togethers as recently as Charlottesville (completely) and January 6 (substantially, if not mostly --if the participant "fear of replacement" survey outcomes are accurate)?

Plantwide, I think we fare well on racism, but I don't think we fare well against our contemporaries, i.e. Western Democracies. In virtually all of them it is a crime to ferment or espouse racial hatred. Here, it is it protected speech! Whether it is right or wrong, it is proof of their lack of tolerance, as societies. for the neo-nazi mind set. They are willing to curtail freedom of speech over it, we aren't.

Idaho doesn’t have a regiment in its National Guard affiliated and originated from/named after members of the Azov Movement.

Next question.
But some Ukrainian military claim that when the Azov went from a street militia to a guard unit that got cleaned up and they shed that element.

Besides that let’s assume the whole unit is Nazis - that’s at most 2500 Nazis out of 40+ million people which equates to 0.006% of their population and you’re condemning Ukraine as more racist based upon that? How do you figure.

Last edited:
Am I the only one that thinks BYU (students/faculty) would cover this up as much as humanly possible if this was true?

I honestly don't know what to make of this other than the girl making the allegations sounded pretty damn credible to me. She said something to her coaches during the game. I think she heard what she heard and to offer up no other explanation (misheard, etc.) only to say the volleyball player is lying or inferring that.

College educated Black student athletes dont fly across the country, to vast majority all white areas, to make up allegations of racial abuse. She came forward because it kept happening.

I have no doubt that BYU facility, students and community would white wash this act like nothing happened. A fan was banned before the "investigation". And then the person was unbanned after the white washing.

Historically, Mormons have killed black people, outlawed black membership and was highly resistant to recognize MLK day, until the Superbowl was taken away. They are who they are.

What a travesty. BYU was Jesse Smollett-ed. There was zero corroboration on this supposed racist act. This is highly unlikely that another person wouldn't speak up and back up the accusation.

We see these things happen so frequently that I never believe the initial reports. Most are false. It is truly despicable behavior. It smears innocent people, businesses, and institutions. See links below of just a portion of examples.

We live in the least racist country in the world. These allegations are so damaging to society and those who perpetuate them should be punished harshly.

Of course, the cowardly BYU administration was tripping over itself to apologize and accept the accusation as truth from the beginning. They deserve contempt too.

Dawn Staley used some bizarre logic to cancel their basketball game at BYU later this year. Talk about special snowflakes. Very cynical and really weird.

Links to some past false racial accusations...

BYU will continue to get cancelled until they are transparent and willing to show the world they ****ed this up. You can scream false stuff all you like. You simply discredit yourself with your completely biased opinion, uncapable of acknowledging the polarized nation that sits right in front of you. You're just a racist and a racist sympathizer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT