ADVERTISEMENT

The BYU volleyball story...

The only thing I'll say on the matter is that the entire Duke team should have heard it, especially if it happened more than once. Yet nobody from her own team corroborated her claim, and are in fact notably silent. Why is that?
I have concerns about her claims as well, and I can assure you that I am far from a Mormon/Christian enabler. I just find it hard to believe that someone (or a group of people) could be continually shouting vile, racist comments like the N-word in a crowded event without any intervention or without any video or corroborating accounts from attendees.

I've mentioned before that during our game vs. BYU last season, there was a female WSU fan walking up and down the visiting BYU sections with a nasty Polygamy sign, shouting at them. During her 2nd pass by our section, me and several other WSU fans started yelling at her to (basically) STFU and sit down. Soon there were dozens of us getting after her, which alerted security to come and confiscate her sign. I can't believe that we are alone in this and that the BYU fans and others in attendance would just sit back and allow this to occur repeatedly.

I'm having a hard time picturing the N-word being yelled during an indoor Volleyball match over and over and over again without anyone taking action or recording the situation. If it's proven to be true, then I hope that fan is sent to prison and that BYU is sued for not taking immediate action. Conversely, if no evidence of that happening is produced, then the incident should also be investigated from a Jussie Smollett perspective and the Duke player who made the accusation should be thoroughly vetted.

Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG
Sure you did. That's why Spokane elected a black mayor 41 years ago with a 24 point victory margin. That happens in completely racist towns.

Did you force mommy and daddy to resign their Spokane Club membership?
My mommy and daddy didn’t have a Spokane Club membership.

Lol: so Jim Chase’s election to a figurehead position cleansed Spokane of all racism. And where did I say everybody in Spokane is racist? More recently, if you recall, the US elected a black president and look at how that galvanized the rightwing racists. People and the world in general are more complex than you appear to grasp.

Last edited:

Lol: so Jim Chase’s election to a figurehead position cleansed Spokane of all racism. More recently, if you recall, the US elected a black president and look at how that galvanized the rightwing racists. People and the world in general are more complex than you appear to grasp.

Right-wing racists? All 30 of them...

I have concerns about her claims as well, and I can assure you that I am far from a Mormon/Christian enabler. I just find it hard to believe that someone (or a group of people) could be continually shouting vile, racist comments like the N-word in a crowded event without any intervention or without any video or corroborating accounts from attendees.

I've mentioned before that during our game vs. BYU last season, there was a female WSU fan walking up and down the visiting BYU sections with a nasty Polygamy sign, shouting at them. During her 2nd pass by our section, me and several other WSU fans started yelling at her to (basically) STFU and sit down. Soon there were dozens of us getting after her, which alerted security to come and confiscate her sign. I can't believe that we are alone in this and that the BYU fans and others in attendance would just sit back and allow this to occur repeatedly.

I'm having a hard time picturing the N-word being yelled during an indoor Volleyball match over and over and over again without anyone taking action or recording the situation. If it's proven to be true, then I hope that fan is sent to prison and that BYU is sued for not taking immediate action. Conversely, if no evidence of that happening is produced, then the incident should also be investigated from a Jussie Smollett perspective and the Duke player who made the accusation should be thoroughly vetted.

Sent to prison for yelling the n word? Whoa!

As despicable as using that word would be, I'd prefer social shunning.

Let's not get crazy. We still have the first amendment...despite what a particular ideology would like to do to that.

Reactions: Alpine Cougar

Lol: so Jim Chase’s election to a figurehead position cleansed Spokane of all racism. And where did I say everybody in Spokane is racist? More recently, if you recall, the US elected a black president and look at how that galvanized the rightwing racists. People and the world in general are more complex than you appear to grasp.

Sent to prison for yelling the n word? Whoa!

As despicable as using that word would be, I'd prefer social shunning.

Let's not get crazy. We still have the first amendment...despite what a particular ideology would like to do to that.
I don't agree in this case, or in other cases where you're deliberately shouting hate words; particularly in crowded events like this. If a fan is guilty of this, you send a hard message by tossing them in jail for a week. Same is true for protesters who turn into rioters. As soon as you start assaulting people and destroying property, you get maced, thrown to the ground, and dragged to jail.

I don't agree in this case, or in other cases where you're deliberately shouting hate words; particularly in crowded events like this. If a fan is guilty of this, you send a hard message by tossing them in jail for a week. Same is true for protesters who turn into rioters. As soon as you start assaulting people and destroying property, you get maced, thrown to the ground, and dragged to jail.
Nah, he's right.

We have certain liberties and freedoms that cannot be violated, and free speech is one of them. The can go yell vile things from their home after they get banned from basically everywhere. Or maybe the old adage "talk shit, get hit" comes into play and a good pop in the soup cooler solves the whole issue.

I’m listening to a book right now in which the (female) author makes a reasonable linguistic/etymological argument that women should prefer the c-word over the V.

Apparently in its historical (Latin) usage, “vagina” was simply a sheath or scabbard. She argues that this means women are accepting their anatomy being labeled as secondary to men, specifically as a receptacle or storage bin for his “sword.” She referenced other slang terms like “cocksheath” as similar. By contrast, the c-word refers directly to female anatomy on its own terms and always has, without making it accessory to a male unit. Her theory was that it should be “more empowering.”

I shared this theory with my wife. She was unconvinced.
I tried that one on my wife to see how receptive she was … I didn’t sleep very well cause the floor in the garage was cold

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
The only thing I'll say on the matter is that the entire Duke team should have heard it, especially if it happened more than once. Yet nobody from her own team corroborated her claim, and are in fact notably silent. Why is that?
Bleed …. Your assumption is not totally accurate . My daughter played both varsity soccer and basketball since the moment she stepped into her high school. The only time she didn’t play is when she tore her acl her junior year in the 5th game of the year for soccer . She did it on the field smithson and Schoenbergger (sic) played on. I tell you this as she could hear my voice in gbe stands …. Not one teammate thought I yelled anything. The fact no one else heard it doesn’t surprise me .

What do you think the kids motivation is for making this story up ? Is she a political activist ? Someone who likes drama? Has she ever accused anyone else of this behavior?

On the other hand I have seen numerous frats for example go mum when they were being investigated . I have seen numerous people ignore what was going on . People just don’t like to get involved .

So maybe she heard something and it wasn’t what she thought she heard . But maybe just another case of a player creating drama and playing “the card” .

They all live in your upper middle class all-Caucasian neighborhood no doubt. Lol.

By the way, still waiting to hear which country you believe is less racist than the US...
Explain how you would go about quantifying that. Good luck.

You should ask all of your imaginary black and brown friends and neighbors if they think the US is very racist.

Historical reasons? I’m talking about what happened to me in my life. Italians were marginalized as much or more as Hispanics are today.

I don’t need you to lecture me on how my being called a spaghetti tosser fits into the hierarchy of racism. America is the least racist Nation in the world, but people make stupid comments. That’s never going to change.
Ummm… as someone related to a “spaghetti tosser” I would imagine she has a very different opinion that you do in the hierarchy of it all. She was straight from Pisa…she married a US military man. He brought her over to the US from Italy and the family settled down and she became a US citizen . Her husband fought in WWII and also Korea, willing to die for our country . Willing to guess who had the right to vote first ?

Shoukd we talk about the other benefits that all Americans seemed to have except one group that fought in the military ? BA loans, education ?

When your relatives we sent off to war, were they sent to the back of the bus ? Maybe I am wrong but I don’t remember seeing water fountains saying whites only, Italians only and Blacks only …

And I could be totally off my rocker , maybe Italians didn’t get their car benefits. Maybe they couldn’t vote until 1964.

There was a running back from wsu of the last whose son carry’s the same last name. He is good friends with my youngest . His mom is white . You know what his mom said to me …. My son is a straight A student, very respectful to everyone … but I fear every time he gets in a car that he could be pulled over .

Again, I apologize if it seemed as if I was lecturing you , but as you have pointed out people have different experiences . Yeah I guess if it did happen she should just let it go and know like you that she will make it .

Right-wing racists? All 30 of them...
Dude, I have gone back and read 100+ of your posts. And came to the educated conclusion (I say that because I can't believe a POS like you actually graduated from my alma mater) that you are a complete pile of s#1+. Worthy of running over like a skunk. Or preferably a coon. Raccoon that is. Less smelly than you. Dips#!+.

Nothing in ANY of your crap posts adds anything intelligent to a WSU sports fan site.

So howsabout you just go away? $5 sez no one will miss you.

Dude, I have gone back and read 100+ of your posts. And came to the educated conclusion (I say that because I can't believe a POS like you actually graduated from my alma mater) that you are a complete pile of s#1+. Worthy of running over like a skunk. Or preferably a coon. Raccoon that is. Less smelly than you. Dips#!+.

Nothing in ANY of your crap posts adds anything intelligent to a WSU sports fan site.

So howsabout you just go away? $5 sez no one will miss you.

triggered-angry.gif

You should ask all of your imaginary black and brown friends and neighbors if they think the US is very racist.

I did and they don't.

Interesting how 2M immigrants from Sub-Saharan Africa have voluntarily come to the US in the past few decades.

Must be because we are a racist country.

Last edited:

I have many black, brown, and Asian friends and coworkers, and while we agree that racism persists, they all concur that the USA is the least racist and most diverse nation in the world.

Where would someone of color or LGBTQ receive a better shake than here? Asia, Africa, India, the Middle East, South America?

Have you traveled abroad?

I have many black, brown, and Asian friends and coworkers, and while we agree that racism persists, they all concur that the USA is the least racist and most diverse nation in the world.

Where would someone of color or LGBTQ receive a better shake than here? Asia, Africa, India, the Middle East, South America?

Is that the metric we should use. Interesting .

Is that the metric we should use. Interesting .
The best metric is that it doesn’t matter if you’re black or brown skinned. You can become President of the United States, own your own business, attend any of our colleges and universities, and achieve all of your goals. In less than 300 years of existence, the USA has emerged as the most culturally, racially, ethnically, and sexually progressive Nation in the history of civilization.

Now, black culture in America and the challenges that persist in that regard. That’s a tough solve.

Diversity in America is only a function of where you live in America.

But to that point where I live is 25% Mexican and the ones I have actually broached that subject with have said to the effect that America is quite racist but the economic opportunity is too good to pass up. Trump’s election and presidency greatly increased these beliefs. I also have a Japanese neighbor whose orchardist family had to start over after WWII and he will tell you how poorly some people treat him - resentment towards his family and fellow Japanese that began with WWII and has carried on for 75+ years.

Have I travelled abroad? Do you have reading comprehension deficiencies or short-term memory issues?

What’s the point of comments like this in the midst of a fairly civil social discussion? All it does is provoke personal attacks.
Well then I apologize - I already stated this earlier and you replied to it so I assumed this time around that you were screwing with me.

I’m also probably too used to responding to the poopflinging madness of Spain and how did this happen.

You specifically called out North Idaho, the Spokane Valley, Spokane and the Spokane Club with regards to racism

So if mommy and daddy did not make you frequent an allegedly bastion of racism, is it safe to assume you made the choice to be there of your own free will?

You specifically called out North Idaho, the Spokane Valley, Spokane and the Spokane Club with regards to racism

So if mommy and daddy did not make you frequent an allegedly bastion of racism, is it safe to assume you made the choice to be there of your own free will?
You’re making assumptions. Dumb ones at that. Clearly you’re triggered. Or butthurt over something. Guess again, Radio.

Last edited:
Diversity in America is only a function of where you live in America.

But to that point where I live is 25% Mexican and the ones I have actually broached that subject with have said to the effect that America is quite racist but the economic opportunity is too good to pass up. Trump’s election and presidency greatly increased these beliefs. I also have a Japanese neighbor whose orchardist family had to start over after WWII and he will tell you how poorly some people treat him - resentment towards his family and fellow Japanese that began with WWII and has carried on for 75+ years.

Have I travelled abroad? Do you have reading comprehension deficiencies or short-term memory issues?

That's brilliant Willie. Trump increased beliefs of racism by minorities and at the same time increased his percentage of black and brown voters from 2016 to 2020.

There are plenty of countries with good economic prospects besides the United States...so yet another fail on your part.

Do I have to remind you that uber "progressive" FDR had 120000 Japanese-Americans stripped of their rights and sent them to interment camps? You likely didn't know that, so I'll give you a break.

You’re making assumptions. Dumb ones at that. Clearly you’re triggered. Or butthurt over something. Guess again, Radio.

How do you account for your choice of specifically citing Spokane, Spokane Valley, North Idaho and the Spokane Club as racist? Those are your words not mine. That’s not a assumption. That was your post.

"Clearly you’ve never been to North Idaho or the Spokane Valley. Hell, I’ll toss in the city of Spokane too for good measure. And it’s not just the dumb yokels either - some of the most racist sh*t I’ve ever witnessed took place at The Spokane Club ( granted it was 40 some years ago)."

How do you live with the guilt of lining the Spokane Club’s pocket with money now that we’ve established mommy and daddy didn’t foot the bill?

Last edited:
How do you account for your choice of specifically citing Spokane, Spokane Valley, North Idaho and the Spokane Club as racist? Those are your words not mine. That’s not a assumption. That was your post.

"Clearly you’ve never been to North Idaho or the Spokane Valley. Hell, I’ll toss in the city of Spokane too for good measure. And it’s not just the dumb yokels either - some of the most racist sh*t I’ve ever witnessed took place at The Spokane Club ( granted it was 40 some years ago)."

How do you live with the guilt of lining the Spokane Club’s pocket with money now that we’ve established mommy and daddy didn’t foot the bill?
You’re trying way too hard. I know what I know because Spokane is where I spent 20+ years of my life and have gone back several times a year. Eastern Washington and north Idaho were my backyards. Did I say I was a member of the Spokane Club? Did I? Did you know members can have guests? Did you have friends when you were a kid? Did you go places with them?

You’re trying way too hard. I know what I know because Spokane is where I spent 20+ years of my life and have gone back several times a year. Eastern Washington and north Idaho were my backyards. Did I say I was a member of the Spokane Club? Did I? Did you know members can have guests? Did you have friends when you were a kid? Did you go places with them?
You said you witnessed racist actions there. Did you go there with your ( presumably racist) friends? Trying to verify the facts around the matter.

Your inflammatory statements need to be verified in order for the proper penance to be taken out on the participants. Do you not want the correct righteous credit for your painting almost half a million people as racist? That's got to be a big time score.

Please provide the facts. I live here. I'm literally on the shores of a lake in North Idaho right this second. I'm trying to get to that higher state of virtue that apparently 40 years of reflection has provided you.

You said you witnessed racist actions there. Did you go there with your ( presumably racist) friends? Trying to verify the facts around the matter.

Your inflammatory statements need to be verified in order for the proper penance to be taken out on the participants. Do you not want the correct righteous credit for your painting almost half a million people as racist? That's got to be a big time score.

Please provide the facts. I live here. I'm literally on the shores of a lake in North Idaho right this second. I'm trying to get to that higher state of virtue that apparently 40 years of reflection has provided you.
You are emotionally hijacked. And clearly you are functionally illiterate; I most certainly did not call 500,000 people racist.

You are emotionally hijacked. And clearly you are functionally illiterate; I most certainly did not call 500,000 people racist.

You made an intentional effort to vilify an entire region. So if it wasn't 500,000 people - go ahead and quantify how many are racists. It must be a huge percentage if you go out of your way to use the racist moniker so casually.

You've also failed to provide any details of this alleged act 40 years ago.

Just who has been emotionally hijacked is the real question as opposed to presenting facts.

Do your friends/family who live in the inland northwest know you think so poorly of their (alleged) racist community?

You made an intentional effort to vilify an entire region. So if it wasn't 500,000 people - go ahead and quantify how many are racists. It must be a huge percentage if you go out of your way to use the racist moniker so casually.

You've also failed to provide any details of this alleged act 40 years ago.

Just who has been emotionally hijacked is the real question as opposed to presenting facts.

Do your friends/family who live in the inland northwest know you think so poorly of their (alleged) racist community?
Don't you know by now? He doesn't have to. Retarded Libs like him just need to yell racist or White Supremacist and the burden of proof has been absolved!! If he's feeling super retarded, he just accuses anyone who doesn't fall in line with his radical ideology of just spewing far right wing talking points garnered from the likes of that fascist Tucker Carlson. So, WillyDuhDumbDumb is totally excused from ever having to provide any factual statistics or any sort of real world data that would back up his claims. Isn't that awesome?!

Well then I apologize - I already stated this earlier and you replied to it so I assumed this time around that you were screwing with me.

I’m also probably too used to responding to the poopflinging madness of Spain and how did this happen.
You were clearly dropped on your head repeatedly by a parent who would've aborted you after you were born.

Sounds like a fun thread to which to add.

Something that often gets lost in the conversations about racism is the manner in which it is expressed, felt, etc. While I'd go so far as to say that the US is one of the least racist nations overall, like any report card there are areas that get an "A" and areas that get a "C" or worse. A mother's concern about her black son getting pulled over and (potentially worse) while driving is an example where we would not get an "A". Probably not even a "C" in some parts of the country, and we are not that far removed from routine "D" and "F" grades in some places. Any of you who have black friends (or whose kids have black friends) know the DWB (driving while black) issues and the speech that is drilled into every black kid by their elders when they get their driver's license.

Having said that, another category could be profiling. While we don't rate an "A" there in a lot of cases, we are far ahead of most places that I have been. I could give examples if you like.

Overt racism...chanting the N word being an example...is different from institutional racism (redlining mortgages, for example). We've got a long way to go, but we've made a lot of uneven progress in this area.

Ultimately what most (not all, but my anecdotal guess is over 80%) people here in SoCal seem to agree upon, regardless of which side of the political spectrum they reside, is that the key is to attempt to provide equal opportunity. That is hard to do when the schools are not equal in different areas. It is also hard to do when both parents have to work and at least one ends up with evening working hours, which is more common in some areas than others. Those same sorts of job options/conditions also act to limit parent involvement in the school system. None of that is surprising, or a great revelation, but it does hamper the "opportunity" side of the equation. We've made progress in that area...after school day care (including study halls), breakfast and lunch, ESL classes, etc. We've even had school districts move back to providing school bus service (which had about vanished here 15 years ago). It is clear that there is not a "one size fits all" answer, and sometimes it feels like 2 steps forward and 1 or 2 steps back, but people of good will continue to try for positive momentum.

I can't let this all go without commenting on the racism experienced by Central Americans as they cross Mexico, attempting to get to the US. While some tell me that this does not count as racism because the ethnicities are in some cases similar, I don't know what else to call it. I am surprised that we have not been able to fix the temporary work visa situation; it seems to have become the new 3rd rail of US politics, in place of social security. Why the Bracero program was dropped and nothing took its place is beyond my understanding. Whether you agree that we need & want immigrants or not, it is clear that as long as a system permits illegal immigrants, it increases the chances that they will be taken advantage of by almost every link in the chain that pulled them here.

OK, more red meat for the mildly unhinged to use. Still, a major issue, and people of good will ought to be able to continue to make positive progress.

The best metric is that it doesn’t matter if you’re black or brown skinned. You can become President of the United States, own your own business, attend any of our colleges and universities, and achieve all of your goals. In less than 300 years of existence, the USA has emerged as the most culturally, racially, ethnically, and sexually progressive Nation in the history of civilization.

Now, black culture in America and the challenges that persist in that regard. That’s a tough solve.
Well you can even be Kenyon and become a president. Not sure an Italian would ever have been questioned whether or not they are a US citizen, especially by someone who would become President after Obama.

To be honest your metric doesn't hold water. That is our aspiration, be better that Pakistan, Russia and other repressive countries?
Yes, you are correct, the US is the least racist country and most accepting country in the world. Other countries aren't working off the document our Fathers of our country drew up.

Am I looking for perfection? Nope, I am looking for a path moving that way. And having people like the Oath Keepers, Proud Boys etc sucking on the tit of the ex president isn't the path.

Sounds like a fun thread to which to add.

Something that often gets lost in the conversations about racism is the manner in which it is expressed, felt, etc. While I'd go so far as to say that the US is one of the least racist nations overall, like any report card there are areas that get an "A" and areas that get a "C" or worse. A mother's concern about her black son getting pulled over and (potentially worse) while driving is an example where we would not get an "A". Probably not even a "C" in some parts of the country, and we are not that far removed from routine "D" and "F" grades in some places. Any of you who have black friends (or whose kids have black friends) know the DWB (driving while black) issues and the speech that is drilled into every black kid by their elders when they get their driver's license.

Having said that, another category could be profiling. While we don't rate an "A" there in a lot of cases, we are far ahead of most places that I have been. I could give examples if you like.

Overt racism...chanting the N word being an example...is different from institutional racism (redlining mortgages, for example). We've got a long way to go, but we've made a lot of uneven progress in this area.

Ultimately what most (not all, but my anecdotal guess is over 80%) people here in SoCal seem to agree upon, regardless of which side of the political spectrum they reside, is that the key is to attempt to provide equal opportunity. That is hard to do when the schools are not equal in different areas. It is also hard to do when both parents have to work and at least one ends up with evening working hours, which is more common in some areas than others. Those same sorts of job options/conditions also act to limit parent involvement in the school system. None of that is surprising, or a great revelation, but it does hamper the "opportunity" side of the equation. We've made progress in that area...after school day care (including study halls), breakfast and lunch, ESL classes, etc. We've even had school districts move back to providing school bus service (which had about vanished here 15 years ago). It is clear that there is not a "one size fits all" answer, and sometimes it feels like 2 steps forward and 1 or 2 steps back, but people of good will continue to try for positive momentum.

I can't let this all go without commenting on the racism experienced by Central Americans as they cross Mexico, attempting to get to the US. While some tell me that this does not count as racism because the ethnicities are in some cases similar, I don't know what else to call it. I am surprised that we have not been able to fix the temporary work visa situation; it seems to have become the new 3rd rail of US politics, in place of social security. Why the Bracero program was dropped and nothing took its place is beyond my understanding. Whether you agree that we need & want immigrants or not, it is clear that as long as a system permits illegal immigrants, it increases the chances that they will be taken advantage of by almost every link in the chain that pulled them here.

OK, more red meat for the mildly unhinged to use. Still, a major issue, and people of good will ought to be able to continue to make positive progress.
Everything you say is true, according to you and probably tens of millions like you.

Unfortunately, the people given a pulpit in this nation will tell you only that either a) racism is so pervasive in this country that it is a veritable existential threat to all but white cis-gendered males or b) illegal immigration is so pervasive in this country that it is an existential threat to everyone, depending on which team you've decided to root for.

Of course you've the weak minded, several posters among them, who simply gobble this manure up as its being spoonfed to them, I'm guessing because there is a high level of confirmation-bias going on, which is why those with a pulpit continue to spew it. And so the cycle continues...

Well you can even be Kenyon and become a president. Not sure an Italian would ever have been questioned whether or not they are a US citizen, especially by someone who would become President after Obama.

To be honest your metric doesn't hold water. That is our aspiration, be better that Pakistan, Russia and other repressive countries?
Yes, you are correct, the US is the least racist country and most accepting country in the world. Other countries aren't working off the document our Fathers of our country drew up.

Am I looking for perfection? Nope, I am looking for a path moving that way. And having people like the Oath Keepers, Proud Boys etc sucking on the tit of the ex president isn't the path.
Having people who are conservative/ right/ etc lumped in with the Proud Boys and Oath keepers because they voted for the same person isn't the path either. In fact, that is how you radicalize people, which makes you wonder if that's why its being done in the first place.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT