ADVERTISEMENT

the wulff era returns

Yeah, but they make up for their mistakes and poor coaching with a huge lack of talent.

Then play to win. No excuses on the QB. It’s a we have coaches over their skis redux. How much collective d-1 experience on staff

Playing pretty poorly . Can’t even hand off without fumbling. I did not expect to win this game, but I expected to compete and be competitive. Neither is happening. Very disappointing.

Not a fan of this offense and never liked the RnS. However I will say it does a good job of running the clock and containing these blow-outs.

Chill out, this isn’t Wulff 2.0, a couple of key mistakes against a team that has more talent, simply snow balled. Game was over after the first quarter, but this team didn’t quit and out scored USC over the final 3 quarters. Young team new staff, shut down for 2 weeks in the middle of the Season, a game like this was going to happen in this strange year. The question is will they bounce bad against Cal next week.

Reactions: 79COUG
This team feels kinda Doba'esque to me. Like maybe '05/'06 Doba.

The Wulff hyperbole is silly.
If '05/'06 Doba that means Rolo gets fired after winning the Apple Cup in couple years and Jim Walden is back in the saddle on the search committee.

If Joe Biden is president then (and Tony LaRussa still with the Chicago White Sox as manager), they'll probably go with somebody with that level of experience (but more youthful than Biden).
That could include Jackie Sherrill (younger than Biden) and Mike Price or Dennis Erickson (both younger than Biden and LaRussa).

Probably would need to have a woman Assistant Head Coach to balance this out and load share - (would a transitioning Paul Wulff count?). Maybe Beth Mowins moves over from the broadcast booth like Bob Brenly and Aaron Boone did.

Fun fact, the only season since 2002 that we’ve not lost at least one game by 25+ points was 2018. Not sure why I tortured myself like that, but just worth mentioning it’s rare that a steaming pile of shit avoids us in any given season. Not saying it’s “acceptable” but also doesn’t mean we are back in Wulffian times.

Fun fact, the only season since 2002 that we’ve not lost at least one game by 25+ points was 2018. Not sure why I tortured myself like that, but just worth mentioning it’s rare that a steaming pile of shit avoids us in any given season. Not saying it’s “acceptable” but also doesn’t mean we are back in Wulffian times.
That's an interesting fact. (Isn't 2018 supposedly not a legitimately a good season for WSU according to some poster here?)
2003 - instant replay might have kept the USC game under 25 points. (There were a couple massive screw ups on turnovers awarded to USC. Pete Carroll wanted his revenge in that game however).

2008 Possum Bowl aftermath - some folks were saying afterwards that the nice 69-0 score protected JT Levenseller's redshirt and got rid of that pesky shutout streak (WSU hadn't been shut out in Pullman since 1956)

If '05/'06 Doba that means Rolo gets fired after winning the Apple Cup in couple years and Jim Walden is back in the saddle on the search committee.

If Joe Biden is president then (and Tony LaRussa still with the Chicago White Sox as manager), they'll probably go with somebody with that level of experience (but more youthful than Biden).
That could include Jackie Sherrill (younger than Biden) and Mike Price or Dennis Erickson (both younger than Biden and LaRussa).

Probably would need to have a woman Assistant Head Coach to balance this out and load share - (would a transitioning Paul Wulff count?). Maybe Beth Mowins moves over from the broadcast booth like Bob Brenly and Aaron Boone did.

I didn't mean the program was the same, or on the same trajectory. I just meant this particular team reminds me of one of those Doba teams.

First, a lot of over-reactions here although the first quarter certainly felt like 2008 all over again. A lot of jokes about hoping that USC doesn't kneel to end the first half and they were well earned.

That said, I'm proud of the team for not rolling over and giving up. We all saw how Arizona folded against us a few years ago.

On the comments about 2018.....if I'm the poster being referred to, what I said was that the 2018 team was pretty good, but they don't deserve to be in the discussion of "great" WSU teams because the schedule was so terrible. We lost to a bad USC team and struggled to beat a decent Iowa State team in our bowl game. Our truly great teams had wins over elite competition.....not 9-4 Stanford or Oregon. Don't get it twisted though...it was still a good team and a fun season and I'm glad that we all got to enjoy having Gardner around for a year. Our 1997 and 2002 teams would have eaten that 2018 team for lunch.

Getting back on topic.....as mentioned above, new coach, freshman QB.....a bad game was inevitable. What the team learns from it is more important at this point.

Ol' MO is a thing, especially in college. That non call offsides on 4th and Calvin dropping the big play pass were early killers and snowballed. Not saying would have won, but would have looked better

SC had better athletes at every level.

I didn't mean the program was the same, or on the same trajectory. I just meant this particular team reminds me of one of those Doba teams.
Wasn’t it worth it for that treasure trove of fun little trivia nuggets? I mean, what’s a good cougar football post without references to Biden’s age and Tony LaRussa?

When you have the worst defense in the conference returning, by far, what did you expect? Did you really think a new scheme and DC could paper over the stark lack of talent on defense? The sad reality is the cupboard is bare on defense, deep down we all knew it, and it will take time to correct that. The good news is we now show some ability to run clock, which will help.

De Laura concerns me --too much, too soon. The Brink wind up throwing motion (albeit faster) combined with the onset of indecision three games in, is a terrible start. All young star QBs make bad decisions, but they do so decisively and with confidence. They never fear pulling the trigger. All the talent in the world can't overcome developed indecisiveness, Exhibit A -- Jeff Tuel.

We played against the best team in the conference, on the road, minus half of our secondary, half of our defensive line depth, with our true freshman QB, and without the best running back in the conference. We've been battling a program wide COVID outbreak, we hadn't played a game in weeks, and Rolo has had what, 3 months to install his system? What's the difference between yesterday's game and our first two? Well, not only is USC a better opponent, but there is now game film available on de Laura and our offense. de Laura's tendencies are being studied and McIntosh's robotic running plays are easier to diagnose now.

Lord knows, I'm not a glass half full, sky high optimist about WSU athletics, but WTF is wrong with some of you people? Calling Rolo a bad hire because of yesterday? Comparing the program today to that of the Paul Wulff years? I genuinely feel bad for some of you guys for deluding yourselves into thinking that our program has reached the point where we can overcome everything that we face against blue blood programs.

As this short season began, I thought we were giving Rolo a free pass this year. And De Laura - remember: 4 games ago he was playing high school football and within this span he was infected with Covid. Our backup QBs at the end of the game showed a little more poise, but let’s give all these guys a break!

Reactions: ATACFD

No kidding. What a dumb comment. Yea, we should have punted, because clearly our defense was poised to shut them down. The 4th down play was perfect. The pass was there. SC jumped offsides. All of those facts and you're going to call the decision a huge mistake? What a joke of a comment.

Yeah, we lost a football game. Not for the first time and so what? It's 2020 and people are dying. Small family businesses are going bankrupt. Everybody take a deep breath and relax. There are more important things in life than football.

Football-wise, I think that we will be fine in the long run. Rolo and Dickert are doing as well as could be expected when one factors in the lack of Spring training, installation of new schemes and the Covid disruptions.

I saw a few glimpses of a silver lining in yesterday's game. Yes, De Laura struggled but some seem to forget that he is a freshman while Cruz and Cooper looked pretty good to me. Speaking of those two I would remind those complaining about Rolo that Leach would have never let them leave the bench. Rolo provided them with some experience and I like that move a lot. Many other young kids got some experience. Remove the epically disastrous first quarter and we hung in there well over the final three quarters. Despite the first quarter shocker, the team never showed any signs of giving up and played with enthusiasm for the rest of the game. Team culture is in good shape. It was a major disappointment but only one and we can and will get over it.

Now on to California.

Gotta have a woman kicker.

Reactions: Coug90
not ready to play, mistakes poor coaching decisions. this team stinks

There are some similarities. Like Wulff and what he inherited, the defense lacked experienced playmakers, a secondary that had to be rebuilt, no experience at all at QB. And it would seem like not a lot of talented options without some major flaw. JDL needs to clean up his delivery, his wind up, his accuracy, his decision making. Cooper clearly isn't the answer or Leach and rolo would have found a way to get him some meaningful reps.

Our receivers lack size. And yesterday they played scared.

But unlike Wulff's first year, the health of the Oline is good, and may have some good pieces to build on but there is a good chance they will need to replace 3/5's of the line in 2021.

But what I did learn is there are a couple of pieces on the dline. They just need some experience. Jackson is becoming unblockable. And on three of the TD passes there was good pressure. Just the perfect throw.

A semi rebuild of three years. We shall see.

Yeah, we lost a football game. Not for the first time and so what? It's 2020 and people are dying. Small family businesses are going bankrupt. Everybody take a deep breath and relax. There are more important things in life than football.

Football-wise, I think that we will be fine in the long run. Rolo and Dickert are doing as well as could be expected when one factors in the lack of Spring training, installation of new schemes and the Covid disruptions.

I saw a few glimpses of a silver lining in yesterday's game. Yes, De Laura struggled but some seem to forget that he is a freshman while Cruz and Cooper looked pretty good to me. Speaking of those two I would remind those complaining about Rolo that Leach would have never let them leave the bench. Rolo provided them with some experience and I like that move a lot. Many other young kids got some experience. Remove the epically disastrous first quarter and we hung in there well over the final three quarters. Despite the first quarter shocker, the team never showed any signs of giving up and played with enthusiasm for the rest of the game. Team culture is in good shape. It was a major disappointment but only one and we can and will get over it.

Now on to California.

I was just going to add that I was surprised the game actually happened. I figured canceling the Stanford game and AC would be a wrap on the season.

I don't think the situation on defense is a hopeless as some. I think we're rounding the corner. Watson, Smith-Wade, Brown, just need some time. The bodies are there for DT. Assuming Taylor, Jackson and Stone are all back next year, those guys will get it done at DE.

Reactions: Coug90
There are some similarities. Like Wulff and what he inherited, the defense lacked experienced playmakers, a secondary that had to be rebuilt, no experience at all at QB. And it would seem like not a lot of talented options without some major flaw. JDL needs to clean up his delivery, his wind up, his accuracy, his decision making. Cooper clearly isn't the answer or Leach and rolo would have found a way to get him some meaningful reps.

But unlike Wulff's first year, the health of the Oline is good, and may have some good pieces to build on but there is a good chance they will need to replace 3/5's of the line in 2021.

But what I did learn is there are a couple of pieces on the dline. They just need some experience. Jackson is becoming unblockable. And on three of the TD passes there was good pressure. Just the perfect throw.

Of course the difference is that Wulff made everything worse as soon as he was hired.

Reactions: NMBRCRNCHR

I agree with everything except rebuild. You’ve got an experienced OLine, one of the best RBs in the conference, playmakers at WR, and a dynamic young QB. DeLaura was going to take his lumps and I don’t think many here thought we were gonna win the conference.
Also this conference is mediocre. It doesn’t take much to get to 3-4 out of 12. I don’t see any reason this staff should be thinking “rebuild” - with good coaching the pieces are there to be in the top third of this conference.

Reactions: taf88
I'll have to watch the 2nd half replay, because I didn't see anything promising from either Cruz or Cooper.

I was just going to add that I was surprised the game actually happened. I figured canceling the Stanford game and AC would be a wrap on the season.

I don't think the situation on defense is a hopeless as some. I think we're rounding the corner. Watson, Smith-Wade, Brown, just need some time. The bodies are there for DT. Assuming Taylor, Jackson and Stone are all back next year, those guys will get it done at DE.

The secondary was going to be a disaster this year and Leach and company didn't show anything in recruiting that would be fix any time soon. Our best corners are Rolovich recruits and they were out yesterday, a safety that showed up a month ago. I think next year we'll giant improvements on the defensive side of the ball. Offensive side, somebody is going to have to step up at QB.

I agree with everything except rebuild. You’ve got an experienced OLine, one of the best RBs in the conference, playmakers at WR, and a dynamic young QB. DeLaura was going to take his lumps and I don’t think many here thought we were gonna win the conference.
Also this conference is mediocre. It doesn’t take much to get to 3-4 out of 12. I don’t see any reason this staff should be thinking “rebuild” - with good coaching the pieces are there to be in the top third of this conference.

The line is potentially gone after the next two games, or 3/5's of it. We might be done to no experienced Rb's after the next two games.

I remember Dick Bennett at Salty's in West Seattle before year three said to the crowd in the BBall tipoff dinner that year three is always the hardest in all of his programs he was rebuilding. You lose Kelati who people grew to count on, the freshman start doing things in their sophomore year that get them in trouble. They start doing to much.

So there is the short term prognosis which you give, and then there is next year.

I don't think anyone was under the impression, including comments by Rolo, we are in a "re-build" scenario. I believe Rolo indicated this was the best group of athletes he's had the pleasure of coaching.

Again, me personally, I'm not frustrated we lost a game that we were likely to lose. It's the decision making and game plan/preparation that were in question.

Go back and chart our first few series up until it was 28-0. Majority of pass vs. run plays. Abandoning what got us a win vs. OSU and a good half against Oregon. Again, call me stupid, but it don't get it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT