ADVERTISEMENT

USC next coach

Sark may be available; there are probably threads on UT sites asking about their next coach, as well.

Not sure they can wait that long with Helton but Urban Meyer will be available soon.

If we can't get Lasso, then we at least need a guy with a mustache.

Not sure about that. Hayden Fox is interested. Haven't heard much about about Molly McGrath since the Wildcats won the City Championship, but she's a winner.

Helton will be temporarily off the hot seat after they drop 60 on us next weekend.
Never say never...but I doubt that will happen. Unless a chunk of the team is in quarantine and unavailable, it would require us to be totally unprepared both mentally and from a team strategy standpoint. I suspect that the chances of that happening are better from USC's sideline than ours. Their coach is on a hot seat for a reason.

For the record, we deserve to be a large underdog. But I can't see 60 points from SC. If things go bad for us, maybe 40-ish. And even if they are in the 40's, I'd expect us to be in the 20's. However, if I were betting I'd bet on a much closer game than that. We actually have some weapons that could do some damage if things go right. I'd probably take WSU if you gave me 14 points.

Never say never...but I doubt that will happen. Unless a chunk of the team is in quarantine and unavailable, it would require us to be totally unprepared both mentally and from a team strategy standpoint. I suspect that the chances of that happening are better from USC's sideline than ours. Their coach is on a hot seat for a reason.

For the record, we deserve to be a large underdog. But I can't see 60 points from SC. If things go bad for us, maybe 40-ish. And even if they are in the 40's, I'd expect us to be in the 20's. However, if I were betting I'd bet on a much closer game than that. We actually have some weapons that could do some damage if things go right. I'd probably take WSU if you gave me 14 points.

Ive seen a better WSU team blow a 50 point lead. SC can 100% drop 60 on WSU.

SC has had its pride hurt. They are coming to win. They have a travel roster so there will be no third stringers to play.

The first thing SC will do is try to overpower the defense. Then it will try to outrun the defense. Depending on their success, it may not get to the third thing which is out number at point of attack.

If Turd and staff were ever gonna show us how good they are this is the week.

SC has had its pride hurt. They are coming to win. They have a travel roster so there will be no third stringers to play.

The first thing SC will do is try to overpower the defense. Then it will try to outrun the defense. Depending on their success, it may not get to the third thing which is out number at point of attack.

What 50 point lead was that?

My SC buddy is coming up for the game. Wants Coug gear as he is openly rooting against SC until they fire Helton. Had to remind him he bought a shirt at the Coug 30 years ago.

Classic F…Fight or hold the light game. Both coaches are on their heals. SC certainly shouldn’t drop 60 on us but we will see if Rolo can outcoach Helton. Not betting on it, we probably lose but SC is enough of a mess I doubt it’s a blowout.

IT may not be 50, but can you say U - C - L - A ??? And YES, condoms will come in pissed and looking for something to gut punch ! It may not be convenient for you but go way back and look at McKay's condoms and the regular beat downs on the Cougs ! Or, the above ruins ! Or the trees !

i have lost trak of the times highly favored teams have been embarrassed the week before and then come to Pullman or Cougs travel to them - resulting in Coug disaster !

Preseason : our O line is the team strength ! Stanford is not that good ! Sure ! ! Right ! !

Reactions: BiggsCoug
Sark may be available; there are probably threads on UT sites asking about their next coach, as well.
I follow Arkansas pretty close. They're very good this year. That outcome didn't surprise me at all. It was 33-7 at the start of the 4th.

IT may not be 50, but can you say U - C - L - A ??? And YES, condoms will come in pissed and looking for something to gut punch ! It may not be convenient for you but go way back and look at McKay's condoms and the regular beat downs on the Cougs ! Or, the above ruins ! Or the trees !

i have lost trak of the times highly favored teams have been embarrassed the week before and then come to Pullman or Cougs travel to them - resulting in Coug disaster !

Preseason : our O line is the team strength ! Stanford is not that good ! Sure ! ! Right ! !

It was 32. Gave up 50 in the second half if memory serves.

Classic F…Fight or hold the light game. Both coaches are on their heals. SC certainly shouldn’t drop 60 on us but we will see if Rolo can outcoach Helton. Not betting on it, we probably lose but SC is enough of a mess I doubt it’s a blowout.

SC doesnt have to be well coached to beat WSU. They can make a few big plays with their 4 and 5 star talent, maybe pick up a special teams score, maybe WSU turns the ball over…. voila, 42-7 going into the 4th. Not holding my breath Turd can out coach Helton either.

Better bring your hard hat and lunch pail. SC is showing up entitled, angry, wanting to win.

I know everyone took a gigantic Cleveland steamer on the Furd before this season, but Shaw consistently has hosses on the lines and a handful of stud position players. You can win football games with just that, especially against a turd like Helton who apparently spends too much time reading his own press.

They absolutely are for WSU
There’s guys on this team who have beat USC. Two weeks ago I woulda said this but Stanford made them look rather pedestrian. At this point I’d bet on us beating SC before Stanford.

USC lit us up in the first half last year but the defense shut them down after half and they didn’t exactly call off the dogs. Will need Watson back in the lineup, so hopefully his shoulder was just a stinger.

There’s guys on this team who have beat USC. Two weeks ago I woulda said this but Stanford made them look rather pedestrian. At this point I’d bet on us beating SC before Stanford.

USC lit us up in the first half last year but the defense shut them down after half and they didn’t exactly call off the dogs. Will need Watson back in the lineup, so hopefully his shoulder was just a stinger.
We cannot tackle and our defensive line is atrocious. USC could beat us on Saturday without throwing a single pass.

Go Back & watch the SC Game from last year.

Men vs Boys
Scared DBs
WSU made/had No adjustments

There was No Motivation for SC to continue to drop the hammer on WSU in the second half.

Reactions: wazzucougs96

Men vs Boys
Scared DBs

There was No Motivation for SC to continue to drop the hammer on WSU in the second half.
That's how I feel too. Once a team goes up big at halftime, I don't put a lot of weight into the "we shut them down in the 2nd half" argument. USC did whatever they wanted against us last year when the game mattered. That goes for our game vs. Portland State as well. It was 30-10 at the half, and the game was effectively over.

Now, a more valid argument is that it was a COVID season with a new coach who wasn't even able to implement his system, so WSU had no chance whatsoever against a program like USC.

We cannot tackle and our defensive line is atrocious. USC could beat us on Saturday without throwing a single pass.

Sadly, this is true. SC could tell Dickert what play they were going to run, I dunno that he has the horses to stop it.

Men vs Boys
Scared DBs

I remember it. It was also last year. And the D bucked up in the second half. Listen, I think we lose still but FWIW the line dropped from 10 to 8.5 pretty quickly. That’s a lot of early money coming in on the boys in your men vs boys scenario. I don’t disagree we have some issues and I’m not confident this staff figured them out, but I just don’t think USC is that good now. Will they be pissed off? They should be. How much does that matter for a team that’s marginally better than the team they are playing? We will find out. Before watching SC/Stanford I thought SC would kill us, but now I’m thinking it will be within a couple of scores and there’s a path to a W.

I was amazed that the line dropped at all, let alone 1.5 points immediately. That suggests that a lot of the rest of the money is not expecting much from SC....for what that is worth.

USC looked so bad against Stanford that I had some hope. I think them dumping Helton probably dashed that.

WSU has beaten USC 5 times in our last 20 meetings (which makes this our most successful period against SC, by the way). We won in 1997, 2000, 2002, 2013, and 2017. In at least 4 of those games, we had line play (both sides) that could at least battle to a draw with SC's line. 2013 is the possible exception, both teams' DL dominated, and SC was playing with their 3rd string HB, no clear QB, and a coach who was about 2 weeks from being fired at the airport.

USC is (obviously) not unbeatable, but based on our first 2 games, we don't have the line play - on either side of the ball - to stand up to SC. If Borghi or McIntosh has a Mayes-at-Oregon type day, maybe we pull it off, but I don't see it otherwise.

Reactions: wazzucougs96
USC looked so bad against Stanford that I had some hope. I think them dumping Helton probably dashed that.

WSU has beaten USC 5 times in our last 20 meetings (which makes this our most successful period against SC, by the way). We won in 1997, 2000, 2002, 2013, and 2017. In at least 4 of those games, we had line play (both sides) that could at least battle to a draw with SC's line. 2013 is the possible exception, both teams' DL dominated, and SC was playing with their 3rd string HB, no clear QB, and a coach who was about 2 weeks from being fired at the airport.

USC is (obviously) not unbeatable, but based on our first 2 games, we don't have the line play - on either side of the ball - to stand up to SC. If Borghi or McIntosh has a Mayes-at-Oregon type day, maybe we pull it off, but I don't see it otherwise.
Agree that the SC/Stanford game made it look like we had a chance. It is unfortunate that was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back for Helton.

Also agree that it will come down to line play, though an explosive play either way, or a key turnover or two could also have big influence. I am hopeful (not holding my breath, but hopeful) that our execution mistakes on both lines against USU saw some improvement against PSU and will continue to improve against SC. The thing about line execution is that it doesn't look good if all but one guy do it perfectly and one guy messes up. They all have to be at least passable, and that is true on both sides of the ball. It is hard to know how much of the improved play against PSU was due to level of competition, and how much was due to the traditional big improvement between games 1 & 2. SC is game 3. If we focus and execute we should be OK. If SC is distracted by the coaching change and emotionally either too high or too low (or perhaps a mix of the two, since some probably liked Helton more than others), they might be the ones without consistent focus. We really don't know what Saturday will bring....

Agree that the SC/Stanford game made it look like we had a chance. It is unfortunate that was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back for Helton.

Also agree that it will come down to line play, though an explosive play either way, or a key turnover or two could also have big influence. I am hopeful (not holding my breath, but hopeful) that our execution mistakes on both lines against USU saw some improvement against PSU and will continue to improve against SC. The thing about line execution is that it doesn't look good if all but one guy do it perfectly and one guy messes up. They all have to be at least passable, and that is true on both sides of the ball. It is hard to know how much of the improved play against PSU was due to level of competition, and how much was due to the traditional big improvement between games 1 & 2. SC is game 3. If we focus and execute we should be OK. If SC is distracted by the coaching change and emotionally either too high or too low (or perhaps a mix of the two, since some probably liked Helton more than others), they might be the ones without consistent focus. We really don't know what Saturday will bring....
I was born in 65. We have beaten SC six times in my lifetime. I was at all six. I was with my SC buddy for five of them (didn’t know each other in 86). I’ll be at the game with him Saturday. So we’ve got a chance!

I know everyone took a gigantic Cleveland steamer on the Furd before this season, but Shaw consistently has hosses on the lines and a handful of stud position players. You can win football games with just that, especially against a turd like Helton who apparently spends too much time reading his own press.
Shaw's problem is he coaches like he's in the NFL and division winners + wild cards get in the playoffs. They're almost always a much better team at the end of the year. Why he wasted a winnable game 1 against K-State by starting the bad QB is mind boggling.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT