ADVERTISEMENT

UW institutional support and debt refinancing....

ttowncoug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 9, 2001
Times article on the subject.

Bottom line: Basically, UW is going to get around $20M annual in "institutional" support....we need to be more aggressive with this.

Highlights:

The athletic department paid $12.3 million in debt service in the 2022 fiscal year, per the financial report submitted to the NCAA.

But that figure dropped by approximately $3 million in 2023 after Washington’s board of regents approved a temporary restructuring plan

Washington’s campus support, which took the form of student fees allocated to athletics and direct transfers from the university, totaled $10.3 million last year — the fourth-lowest amount in the conference.

Oregon received no direct help from campus while UCLA received $2.1 million in support and Washington State received $6.8 million.

Times article on the subject.

Bottom line: Basically, UW is going to get around $20M annual in "institutional" support....we need to be more aggressive with this.

Highlights:

The athletic department paid $12.3 million in debt service in the 2022 fiscal year, per the financial report submitted to the NCAA.

But that figure dropped by approximately $3 million in 2023 after Washington’s board of regents approved a temporary restructuring plan

Washington’s campus support, which took the form of student fees allocated to athletics and direct transfers from the university, totaled $10.3 million last year — the fourth-lowest amount in the conference.

Oregon received no direct help from campus while UCLA received $2.1 million in support and Washington State received $6.8 million.

Sorry for nitpicking like this, but you misspelled uw in the title of your post. You have heard the saying "With all due respect...."? Well, that institution deserves exactly ZERO respect from me.

It’s cool, I’m sure Ohio state, Michigan, Oregon & penn state are all taking out second mortgages on their stadiums too.

90- if you read the article, basically the university is coming to pay the debt off, and give the athletic department "sweetheart deal" terms, which means effectively subsidizing this debt.

My bigger point is that over the years we've heard, and they even changed state law to this, that WSU is taking on too much state/ or school subsidy for their athletics.

With what UW is doing, I would personally think WSU has some flexibly to do some creative things to ensure we don't "under fund" our athletics and put them in the toilet (which is my big concern).

I've always felt the university could absorb the tuition portion of athletics (think Title IX) and Athletics be on the hook for everything else.

We have to do something different moving forward.

Reactions: Coug90
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT