ADVERTISEMENT

Ward to the ducks.

Also, the story you linked has a link to "Ducks Wire", which has taken down their article saying Ward to the Ducks.

I'm guessing that there probably is a deal in place, but it wasn't supposed to be announced until Monday.

https://duckswire.usatoday.com/2023...-cam-ward-announces-transfer-to-oregon-ducks/

Oops... (yeah, right).
Love it … first year in the Big 10 the Ducks are on probation . They will fit right in tho….stealing signals ….

Nothing will make me happier if Bama beats Georgia, Oregon beats UW, and the final four teams are Michigan,Georgia , Ohio State and Bama . And leave Benedict and Arnold from the playoffs .

This pisses me off less than it would if we were in the same conference.

Who would you prefer at QB, Noah Fifta or Cam Ward? One kid has all the tools, the other just makes play after play after play. There is just too much Jeff Tuel in Cam Ward - I'd open the QB competition even if he stays.

Rules? Dude…
Yeah, I don't know if you guys have seen Super Pumped, the story of the founding of Uber and some of its early days (and mainly is about Travis Kalanick)--if not, you should, and it's on Netflix now--but this reminds me of a scene where Kalanick is proposing an insane user device tracking scheme, someone asks "is this ... legal?", and they all look at each other for a sec and then laugh raucously.

Yeah, I don't know if you guys have seen Super Pumped, the story of the founding of Uber and some of its early days (and mainly is about Travis Kalanick)--if not, you should, and it's on Netflix now--but this reminds me of a scene where Kalanick is proposing an insane user device tracking scheme, someone asks "is this ... legal?", and they all look at each other for a sec and then laugh raucously.
Exactly

Who would you prefer at QB, Noah Fifta or Cam Ward? One kid has all the tools, the other just makes play after play after play. There is just too much Jeff Tuel in Cam Ward - I'd open the QB competition even if he stays.

Freaking Noah.

Can't remember off the top of my head a Frosh QB with more accuracy.

Wonder if he will get poached or if UA has the money to keep him.

Should be interesting

Reactions: 425cougfan
Freaking Noah.

Should be interesting
No way they are keeping him. He’s from SoCal he may end up a USC target. AZ was his best offer out of HS.

Reactions: spongeandshoot
No way they are keeping him. He’s from SoCal he may end up a USC target. AZ was his best offer out of HS.

And so that brings up another interesting scenario.

Are kids these days going to want to do all that traveling?

Usc's travel schedule next is brutal. Take a leak at it if you haven't seen it yet and need a good chuckle.

But I also get that Lincoln Riley has produced Heisman winners.

And the flip side of that is that they have serious oline issues.

College football has now become a Soap Opera.

Usc's travel schedule next is brutal. Take a leak at it if you haven't seen it yet and need a good chuckle.

I doubt the kids care too much about the travel. It’s what, 7 games tops. Their parents might if they want to attend games. But NIL will probably get ma & pa first class tix anyways.

It's not certain. From the man himself, he's leaving WSU, but not necessarily going to Oregon. He's checking his draft status first.

GAR6iwHaEAAYZVt

It's not certain. From the man himself, he's leaving WSU, but not necessarily going to Oregon. He's checking his draft status first.

GAR6iwHaEAAYZVt
“Checking his draft status”. There’s not one reliable advisor telling him to go pro. He’d be a late round pick and get less than the NIL money.

I do not think it will be an issue. Football teams will fly by charter. Penn State is the only team that is even remotely close to the pain in the ass it is getting to Pullman. Other sports will have more issues. Still, my guess is it will be a nonstory moving forward.
It will be harder on Cal and Stanford with the ACC.

GAR6iwHaEAAYZVt
I lost respect for him when he mentions NFL draft because he knows it’s horse shit. Just say going to the portal, who will pay me more versus lying to your teammates and previous supporters. Feeding us the horse shit..

Reactions: WindyCityCoug
Freaking Noah.

Should be interesting
Marginal arm, not fast or athletic, short, slow release, but accurate with a football IQ off the chart. Kinda like Johnny Unitas, Joe Montana and Tom Brady. You notice how the three greatest QB in NFL history lacked the physical tools to be great, but were better that any first, second, rounder ever drafted.

The point I was making was, while Cam is physically gifted, I'd rather have a high football IQ QB -- Noah Fifita, Gardner Minshew and Jason Gesser come to mind. History tells us that the most talented Cougar football team, top to bottom, ever, with our most physically talented QB ever, didn't go to the Rose Bowl, didn't even win 10 games, primarily because that QB lacked football IQ to go along with his elite talent. He could make all the throw, but simply didn't.

Reactions: Coug90
Marginal arm, not fast or athletic, short, slow release, but accurate with a football IQ off the chart. Kinda like Johnny Unitas, Joe Montana and Tom Brady. You notice how the three greatest QB in NFL history lacked the physical tools to be great, but were better that any first, second, rounder ever drafted.

The point I was making was, while Cam is physically gifted, I'd rather have a high football IQ QB -- Noah Fifita, Gardner Minshew and Jason Gesser come to mind. History tells us that the most talented Cougar football team, top to bottom, ever, with our most physically talented QB ever, didn't go to the Rose Bowl, didn't even win 10 games, primarily because that QB lacked football IQ to go along with his elite talent. He could make all the throw, but simply didn't.
Not sure I’m following you here. I’m thinking our most physically talented QBs were Leaf and Bledsoe…but Bledsoe wasn’t on the most talented team ever, and Leaf did go to the RB.

Reactions: Coug1990 and Coug90
Ward is not ready for the NFL. To slow to read defenses, locks on to receivers and takes to many sacks. He did what he had to do for the money to come calling for him. The NCAA prostitution ring. Players get paid, fans get screwed

Not sure I’m following you here. I’m thinking our most physically talented QBs were Leaf and Bledsoe…but Bledsoe wasn’t on the most talented team ever, and Leaf did go to the RB.
Think about it, Drew was the NFL #1 pick on every draft board. Leaf, while a far superior as a college QB, wasn't for several reasons. Drew played with the Posse on defense, including Sasa, Eaton and Patterson on the d-line, the two best TE's in school history, a 1330 yard, 220 pound RB. Bobo, Pointer, Davis, Schexnayder catching balls. The 1997 team probably had the better receivers, everything else was inferior, and was far more Leaf dependant for wins. We were the #2 offense in the NCAA in 1997, but were only #35 with Drew. Also, don't confuse the deepest, 2002, with most talented! Gesser wasn't Drew or Ryan talent wise, never had a 1000 yard rusher to take the pressure off, nor was that defense at Posse level, which held Drew's opponents to less than 300 yards a game. With Gesser, Leaf or Minshew at QB the 1992 would have been insane, with Drew and his 18 TDs and 14 ints, and very ordinary 123 pass rating, not so much.

Think about it, Drew was the NFL #1 pick on every draft board. Leaf, while a far superior as a college QB, wasn't for several reasons. Drew played with the Posse on defense, including Sasa, Eaton and Patterson on the d-line, the two best TE's in school history, a 1330 yard, 220 pound RB. Bobo, Pointer, Davis, Schexnayder catching balls. The 1997 team probably had the better receivers, everything else was inferior, and was far more Leaf dependant for wins. We were the #2 offense in the NCAA in 1997, but were only #35 with Drew. Also, don't confuse the deepest, 2002, with most talented! Gesser wasn't Drew or Ryan talent wise, never had a 1000 yard rusher to take the pressure off, nor was that defense at Posse level, which held Drew's opponents to less than 300 yards a game. With Gesser, Leaf or Minshew at QB the 1992 would have been insane, with Drew and his 18 TDs and 14 ints, and very ordinary 123 pass rating, not so much.
yeah, I’m going to say ‘97 had more offensive talent than ‘92. It’s probably close, and Leaf might have been the biggest difference, but the Fab Five and the Fat Five were both probably better units overall.
Defensively, I think you’re slightly misremembering the Posse. The seeds of it were there in ‘92, but its core (including Sasa, Eaton, Hunter, Childs, and McClanahan) were underclass reserves in ‘92. They were a pretty decent defense that year, but not a great one. Top 25, not top 5. better overall than the ‘97 D, but again, not by a wide margin (the ‘97 team wins the Rose bowl if they have the ‘92 LBs)

I agree about Bledsoe though - he was kind of a last gasp of the 80s style pocket passer. Strong, but not particularly creative or efficient by the standard that emerged a few years later. His team would have been more explosive with Leaf, more dynamic with Gesser or Minshew…and if he was on the ‘97, ‘02, or ‘18 teams they would not have been as successful.

yeah, I’m going to say ‘97 had more offensive talent than ‘92. It’s probably close, and Leaf might have been the biggest difference, but the Fab Five and the Fat Five were both probably better units overall.
Defensively, I think you’re slightly misremembering the Posse. The seeds of it were there in ‘92, but its core (including Sasa, Eaton, Hunter, Childs, and McClanahan) were underclass reserves in ‘92. They were a pretty decent defense that year, but not a great one. Top 25, not top 5. better overall than the ‘97 D, but again, not by a wide margin (the ‘97 team wins the Rose bowl if they have the ‘92 LBs)

I agree about Bledsoe though - he was kind of a last gasp of the 80s style pocket passer. Strong, but not particularly creative or efficient by the standard that emerged a few years later. His team would have been more explosive with Leaf, more dynamic with Gesser or Minshew…and if he was on the ‘97, ‘02, or ‘18 teams they would not have been as successful.
QBs "with all the tools" tend to be mismanaged. Drew was no exception, if the goal was to develop the the best QB long term. Unlike, Gesser, Leaf and Minshew, who had "cock of the walk" personalities. Drew was shy and timid, was never a born leader. Despite the all the tools, he need to carry the clip board mentally until 92, when we had the talent to carry him for a season, while he learned the game, with 1993 being his break out year. Instead, he was thrown to the wolves in 1990, losing 7 of his first 8 starts, that 55-10 loss to the UW was brutal for a true freshman. I don't think he ever fully recovered. Once he started to "feel it" and regain confidence at the end of 92, his dad Mac convinced him go pro, and he joined the Pats, the worst team in the NFL by a wide margin, to suffer even more years of abuse. Just because you will go #1, doesn't mean you should, if your goal isn't money.

QBs "with all the tools" tend to be mismanaged. Drew was no exception, if the goal was to develop the the best QB long term. Unlike, Gesser, Leaf and Minshew, who had "cock of the walk" personalities. Drew was shy and timid, was never a born leader. Despite the all the tools, he need to carry the clip board mentally until 92, when we had the talent to carry him for a season, while he learned the game, with 1993 being his break out year. Instead, he was thrown to the wolves in 1990, losing 7 of his first 8 starts, that 55-10 loss to the UW was brutal for a true freshman. I don't think he ever fully recovered. Once he started to "feel it" and regain confidence at the end of 92, his dad Mac convinced him go pro, and he joined the Pats, the worst team in the NFL by a wide margin, to suffer even more years of abuse. Just because you will go #1, doesn't mean you should, if your goal isn't money.
Shy and timid are not words I’ve ever seen connected with Bledsoe, and neither of those fits the brief interactions with him I had/saw in 91-93…or the stories out of Walla Walla HS in the couple years prior. His demeanor at the time was closer to Leaf than Gesser/Minshew…just not as extreme.
Honestly, I was never a Bledsoe fan, based in part on that handful of interactions, and in part on the fact that I always felt his team made him look better than he was.

I have to laugh at some of you. Bledsoe was very good at WSU and in the NFL and is the reason why the NFL made him the first pick in the draft. We are also talking about third year player in Bledsoe in 1992. Neither Gesser, nor Leaf, set the world on fire at WSU in their third year on campus. If all we knew about Gesser and Leaf was based after their third year at WSU, most people wouldn't even know who they were.

I have to laugh at some of you. Bledsoe was very good at WSU and in the NFL and is the reason why the NFL made him the first pick in the draft. We are also talking about third year player in Bledsoe in 1992. Neither Gesser, nor Leaf, set the world on fire at WSU in their third year on campus. If all we knew about Gesser and Leaf was based after their third year at WSU, most people wouldn't even know who they were.
I don’t remember watching Bledsoe in college other than the 92 AC in which I was rooting for UW as a kid in a UW family. One thing I’ll never waver from is comparing stats from QBs 20-30 years ago to today. No comparisons as today’s offenses are light years ahead of where they were back then and the QB numbers reflect that. 7 YPA gets you beat in a lot of games today and back in those days you’d be considered unstoppable.

I was gonna say - wasn't 1992 Bledsoe's last year, in the Snow Bowl? These 1993/4 references throw me.

That Apple cup TD throw in the blizzard does have to rank as one of the greatest plays in WSU FB history. I gotta look that clip up for the 100th time. It's like he stepped back a bit from the sliding mutt rusher, and just painlessly flung it 50 yards. Bobo (?) sliding into the snowdrift after snagging the catch from the other WR was priceless. I was there on the 40 yard line, but my dementia brain addled memory sort of fails me after all these decades. Pretty sure I had to dodge some fat bastard (hint starts with ED) in my usual drunken stupor on the way to that game. Should have hit the gas instead of the brake.

Last edited:
Been told Ward to the Ducks is not official.

Rumor is, UW has entered the $2m nil chat.

Might take $2.5 from someone to buy his loyalty.

Stay tuned!

Even tOSU’s starting qb and a receiver are in the portal. tOSU must have had them on fixed contracts.🤷🏼‍♂️

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT