ADVERTISEMENT

"We're going to stand for the pledge of...

How_did_this_happen?

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Nov 3, 2012
...allegiance, I can tell you that." - M. Leach

(In response to question about knucklehead Kaepernick.)

Hilarious.

Psst coach, it's the national anthem.

I think Mastro said it best.

"I'm okay with him having something that he's passionate about
but I don't agree with the stage in which he used...
A leader never leads by sitting down. "

I like Leach's response as well. Blunt and to the point. We're going to stand I can tell you that.

We have an awesome coaching staff.

"A leader never leads by sitting down"- Mastro. I like it. A pithy and insightful quote. Actually he said, "A leader never leads from sitting down" but close enough to make the point.

I am fine with Kaepernick speaking out but Mastro was right. Wrong method. Blaming the entire country and its ideals for the problem is a bit over the top. His sitting down protest only added an unnecessary and controversial element to an issue that we were already aware of. I consider his action as more diversionary than contributory. Threw the baby out with the bathwater on that one.

I actually don't have a problem with Crapernick sitting down if he feels like he needs to bring attention to an important issue. The problem with him is the issue that he is worked up about. Saying that he won't stand in respect for the flag of a country that kills black men is a sweeping generalization that is as offensive to me as any type of racism that occurs in our country. Lumping the entire country and all police into the same pot as the bad ones that do cause problems is dumb. The problem for Colin is that he just isn't that good of a QB anymore and he is doing his best to be ushered out of the league.

Last edited:
I actually don't have a problem with Crapernick sitting down if he feels like he needs to bring attention to an important issue. The problem with him is the way he presents his issue. Saying that he won't stand in respect for the flag of a country that kills black men is a sweeping generalization that is as offensive to me as any type of racism that occurs in our country. Lumping the entire country and all police into the same pot as the bad ones that do cause problems is dumb. The problem for Colin is that he just isn't that good of a QB anymore and he is doing his best to be ushered out of the league.
How much of his, what $14M?, salary do you think he donates to providing affordable housing & jobs to inner city folks? He's a stupid, spoiled moron who has painted himself AND the team into a corner. What a fool

Reactions: 78Chief
...allegiance, I can tell you that." - M. Leach

(In response to question about knucklehead Kaepernick.)

Hilarious.

Psst coach, it's the national anthem.

Unless it was in jest, a surprisingly tone deaf response from a highly intelligent man.

I am always amazed how people with kooky religious beliefs always get a free pass in this country. What about Jehovah witnesses? They have been openly dissing the anthem, the pledge and flag for generations. That's okay because they believe in a god who will allow 144K of them in heaven, while torturing billions and billions for eternity.

There is far more evidence supporting Kaepernick's beliefs, than the witnesses' super Santa. They get the pass, but he does not. Go figure.

Beyond the police shootings -- Black gymnast fails to put hand on heart creates "un-american" hysteria. Centrowitz does exactly same thing, after the blue ribbon event of the center piece sport of the games -- not a peep out of the same anthem protocol police. Why is that? Is it because of a white/black double standard? Does Kaepernick have a point?

Finger pointing or shouting down a person for exercising their right to not worship a piece of fabric in this era is pretty ridiculous. Leach can order his players to do what he wants, he's the boss. But I don't agree with him on this one.

Finger pointing or shouting down a person for exercising their right to not worship a piece of fabric in this era is pretty ridiculous. Leach can order his players to do what he wants, he's the boss. But I don't agree with him on this one.
Worshipping a piece of fabric? Really?

Worshipping a piece of fabric? Really?

I think too many people get far too worked up about whether or not to stand for the anthem, but at the same time, there's an expectation for people to show respect for all the good things that this country stands for at the time that the anthem is playing. It's a free country and you don't have to stand for the national anthem if you don't want to, but I'll think less of you for making that choice. I don't understand my co-worker who gets so mad that his voice quivers in anger about the issue, but I wouldn't buy a product from someone that doesn't respect our country enough to give a few moments of their time and attention before a sporting event. There's a fine line of outrage on things like this.

Reactions: 702coug
He has every right not to stand and be respectful.
I just hope that he's ready to face the consequences of his actions. Every game, every stadium he plays in, he will be vilified and in my opinion rightfully so.
But mark my words, when the niners cut him because he's past his prime, hell scream discrimination from the highest mountain top.

Is this what you personally believe?

Personally, I am tired of this rhetoric/narrative...
Are you tired of it because you don't believe it? You don't believe there is a double standard when it comes to race?

He has every right not to stand and be respectful.
I just hope that he's ready to face the consequences of his actions. Every game, every stadium he plays in, he will be vilified and in my opinion rightfully so.
But mark my words, when the niners cut him because he's past his prime, hell scream discrimination from the highest mountain top.
Exactly. And this is the real reason the multimillionaire is making this stand now. I detest hypocrisy. He will indeed have his excuse.

Reactions: 78Chief
I think too many people get far too worked up about whether or not to stand for the anthem, but at the same time, there's an expectation for people to show respect for all the good things that this country stands for at the time that the anthem is playing. It's a free country and you don't have to stand for the national anthem if you don't want to, but I'll think less of you for making that choice. I don't understand my co-worker who gets so mad that his voice quivers in anger about the issue, but I wouldn't buy a product from someone that doesn't respect our country enough to give a few moments of their time and attention before a sporting event. There's a fine line of outrage on things like this.
Honestly, it's about lack of tolerance… On both sides of the coin.

I'm one to get more worked up over Kaepernicks (sp) antics than the other side but I am able to see what he's TRYING to say. He's doing a HORRIBLE job at articulation, though. For me, I have family that have died at war. To me and my family, that flag is a symbol of my families sacrifice. Plain and simple. So when you don't stand up for that flag, when you don't take off your lid, when you don't place your hand over your heart, you are disrespecting the deaths of thousands, hundreds of thousands, of soldiers that have died. It isn't about the general, broad-stroked image of our USA. It's the profile picture that was placed over the kitchen sink. So why do people get worked up about his antics? It's about family. It literally has a face that makes you cry, when you think of him. It's about a soldier seeing his buddy get shot up… over that flag. Stuff like that. So it isn't "fabric worship". It's very, very personal. It's unfortunate that so many that talk of tolerance can't place themselves in these shoes and find other ways to protest.

He has every right to do this. If he was against a war, I can see that being more appropriate (although I'd still disagree for the same reasons). Does the USA have a problem? I honestly don't know. I'm a white male. I find it hard to put on different shoes for this issue, as much as I've tried. But I thrive on facts. The only real study has been out of Harvard and it suggests there isn't a problem. It actually shows white's are more likely to be shot by police. That is where my perspective might be off, though. One, limited study. I'll try to find the study to link so I'm not spouting off without backing…

But I also understand facts don't assuage the feeling of unfairness… of feeling attacked. The problem (IF the Harvard facts are true that they aren't being attacked, that they aren't being treated unfairly) is that "feelings" are being propped up in a higher standard than "fact". If facts back up the feelings, I hope our country can place their compassion hat on and realize how quickly, compassionately, and lovingly this needs to be rectified.

Like everyone, it's my .02 worth. And everyone has a nickel… But conversation on these things is always a good thing, unless it somehow goes sideways. I think that is Kaepernicks point. Discussion of the issue. Wish he'd have found a way for discussion without the personal disrespect that is inherent in HOW he's doing it… Peace.:)

Honestly, it's about lack of tolerance… On both sides of the coin.

I'm one to get more worked up over Kaepernicks (sp) antics than the other side but I am able to see what he's TRYING to say. He's doing a HORRIBLE job at articulation, though. For me, I have family that have died at war. To me and my family, that flag is a symbol of my families sacrifice. Plain and simple. So when you don't stand up for that flag, when you don't take off your lid, when you don't place your hand over your heart, you are disrespecting the deaths of thousands, hundreds of thousands, of soldiers that have died. It isn't about the general, broad-stroked image of our USA. It's the profile picture that was placed over the kitchen sink. So why do people get worked up about his antics? It's about family. It literally has a face that makes you cry, when you think of him. It's about a soldier seeing his buddy get shot up… over that flag. Stuff like that. So it isn't "fabric worship". It's very, very personal. It's unfortunate that so many that talk of tolerance can't place themselves in these shoes and find other ways to protest.

He has every right to do this. If he was against a war, I can see that being more appropriate (although I'd still disagree for the same reasons). Does the USA have a problem? I honestly don't know. I'm a white male. I find it hard to put on different shoes for this issue, as much as I've tried. But I thrive on facts. The only real study has been out of Harvard and it suggests there isn't a problem. It actually shows white's are more likely to be shot by police. That is where my perspective might be off, though. One, limited study. I'll try to find the study to link so I'm not spouting off without backing…

But I also understand facts don't assuage the feeling of unfairness… of feeling attacked. The problem (IF the Harvard facts are true that they aren't being attacked, that they aren't being treated unfairly) is that "feelings" are being propped up in a higher standard than "fact". If facts back up the feelings, I hope our country can place their compassion hat on and realize how quickly, compassionately, and lovingly this needs to be rectified.

Like everyone, it's my .02 worth. And everyone has a nickel… But conversation on these things is always a good thing, unless it somehow goes sideways. I think that is Kaepernicks point. Discussion of the issue. Wish he'd have found a way for discussion without the personal disrespect that is inherent in HOW he's doing it… Peace.:)
As an employee of the Niners/NFL I'm not certain he has that right. Just like I can't say anything I want to say while at work. That's the issue.

Reactions: earldacoug
As an employee of the Niners/NFL I'm not certain he has that right. Just like I can't say anything I want to say while at work. That's the issue.
You are mixing two different things. He certainly has the Right. Supreme Court has said that BURNING the flag is a protected Right, so NOT standing is under the same umbrella, I would think. But being an employee is not about "Rights". It's about the contract you've signed and what you do while "at work". And the 49'ers have already put out a press release on this. The organization is OK with what he is doing. So your beef should be with your boss, not Kaepernick (sp) for "the rules for one do not apply to another" concept.

You are mixing two different things. He certainly has the Right. Supreme Court has said that BURNING the flag is a protected Right, so NOT standing is under the same umbrella, I would think. But being an employee is not about "Rights". It's about the contract you've signed and what you do while "at work". And the 49'ers have already put out a press release on this. The organization is OK with what he is doing. So your beef should be with your boss, not Kaepernick (sp) for "the rules for one do not apply to another" concept.
I am agreeing with you that it's not an issue of constitutional rights. Again, if he is violating workplace rules the Niners and the NFL have specified, then that would be the issue. If neither have a rules problem that he or any other player does this, then he's just being a hypocritical dope and wants to be ready to blame his impending release on supposedly caring about this issue.

Reactions: Coug95man2
I am agreeing with you that it's not an issue of constitutional rights. Again, if he is violating workplace rules the Niners and the NFL have specified, then that would be the issue. If neither have a rules problem that he or any other player does this, then he's just being a hypocritical dope and wants to be ready to blame his impending release on supposedly caring about this issue.
Gotcha. I'm a literal kind of guy. And "right" is a legal term. That's where I was going with it. I was confused with your use of that term and clarifying my terminology and definitions.

My "literal brain" has gotten me into more trouble than you'll ever know.o_O

Rights are a tricky thing, and virtually NO rights are without limits. From the freshmen poly sci example of "yelling fire in a crowded theater" to even a free press....So the discussion is framed correctly--about rights--if that's all everyone wants to talk about.

But it goes far deeper, doesn't it? Kaepernick doesn't know XXXX about history, and likely slept through the one class he took in high school or college. I've heard him try and talk about all sorts of issues--there obviously aren't too many squirrels in the cage behind his millionaire eyes. So does he REALLY intend on sitting forever? Because that is the option he left himself. If a country with a black president, one in which the very complainer is working in an industry where black millionaires are the NORM, if all this makes him think the country is racist....then what could possibly convince him that things have changed???? So the dummy painted himself into a corner, into one that is impossible to extricate himself without proof that is IMPOSSIBLE to arise! So he either sits forever, or makes some sort of "clarification" that is not an apology (but really is) to give himself wiggle room. Right now, the fool is in a sweat box that he himself built! Nice job.

The JW analogy, btw, is not really apt...as they disdain ALL forms of civic government (as well as parties, holidays, etc, etc)

Gotcha. I'm a literal kind of guy. And "right" is a legal term. That's where I was going with it. I was confused with your use of that term and clarifying my terminology and definitions.

My "literal brain" has gotten me into more trouble than you'll ever know.o_O
Actually "rights" can be legal, and they also be social or political. That's why specifying "legal" rights makes sense in this convo

it all depends on where this goes, doesn't it? If his actions result in lost revenue or distractions or conflict in the lockerroom, then it will amaze us all just how quickly "the 49ers will have a problem with it" lol

it all depends on where this goes, doesn't it? If his actions result in lost revenue or distractions or conflict in the lockerroom, then it will amaze us all just how quickly "the 49ers will have a problem with it" lol
Oh yeah....the NFL could have a significant problem brewing here. Likely they'll donate several million dollars to BLM and everything will be cool. Problem solved quietly. <sigh>

Pay attention next time you're at a sporting event and the national anthem is playing. I bet you'll find plenty of people sitting down, wearing their hats, looking at their phones, eating their hot dog, running out to take a leak.

I guess I'm only supposed to be outraged by this when it's an irrelevant, backup QB who does it. Funny thing is, Kaepernick's been doing this all preseason, but no one noticed till week 3. Why? Because he's Colin frickin Kaepernick, backup to Blaine Gabbert.

Pay attention next time you're at a sporting event and the national anthem is playing. I bet you'll find plenty of people sitting down, wearing their hats, looking at their phones, eating their hot dog, running out to take a leak.

I guess I'm only supposed to be outraged by this when it's an irrelevant, backup QB who does it. Funny thing is, Kaepernick's been doing this all preseason, but no one noticed till week 3. Why? Because he's Colin frickin Kaepernick, backup to Blaine Gabbert.
Just to be clear, I wasn't outraged. He's an idiot still though and I don't care when he started this. My OP was pointing out that Leach said pledge of allegiance, not national anthem...which I found funny.
Just be a decent, respectful, and polite person and the world will be a better place for everyone.
I suspect that ultimately public backlash may change his behavior.

Last edited:
Actually "rights" can be legal, and they also be social or political. That's why specifying "legal" rights makes sense in this convo
True but they are used in the "social" and "political" world, many times in an effort to make the given action 1) "legal" status or 2) appearance of such. Social or political "rights' are used as shadow, as propaganda for the real thing.

You are trying so hard to provoke another argument...
No...trying to figure out what you are tired of. Just trying to figure out where you are coming from. It is your point of view. I probably don't agree with it, but it isn't something factual that can be argued.

Including coaches. They talk during the anthem, they wear their hats etc. It is his way of protesting some of the injustices he sees in our country. Carlos and Smith raised a fist in the 68 Olympics. Brown and Jabbar took positions that weren't popular. The 60's war protestors were considered Un-American but they were actually right in hindsight. The American thing to do (to me) is exercise your rights, that is what has been fought for. If there is a backlash than so be it.

No...trying to figure out what you are tired of. Just trying to figure out where you are coming from. It is your point of view. I probably don't agree with it, but it isn't something factual that can be argued.

I don't believe, in the year 2016, that the US Government (which includes it's flag) has a double standard/agenda against people of African American descent.

I don't believe, in the year 2016, that the US Government (which includes it's flag) has a double standard/agenda against people of African American descent.

One last question and I promise I wont make one retort...does that belief include the police?

Racism exists in this country, as well as intolerance, sodomy, murderous hatred, hypocrites, political creatures, religious zealots, and Justin Beiber.

Not everything is about race. Until such time as our government can stop itself from racially categorizing the citizenry and people at large stop only congregating with themselves these issues will be present.

Is there a way to regulate all of humanity? No?

Hmm...guess there is nothing new here.

If you want a perfect country then good luck in your search or endeavor to create one. You'll need it.
Not sure I or anyone is asking for perfect. It sure seems odd that the only real deaths that occur during an arrest happen to be black. Is that simply a coincidence?

How far have we come in since the Rodney King beating? What more needs to be on tape to say that is an unnecessary beating? What do our eyes need to see to keep all of our citizens safe. Not sure demanding equality is a pipe dream. It should be a reality.

Speaking of that, in Pullman tonight at a local bar there is a drink special for woman. They are to pay 79% what the men pay for their drink. It represents the difference in pay for the same work.

Not sure I or anyone is asking for perfect. It sure seems odd that the only real deaths that occur during an arrest happen to be black. Is that simply a coincidence?

How far have we come in since the Rodney King beating? What more needs to be on tape to say that is an unnecessary beating? What do our eyes need to see to keep all of our citizens safe. Not sure demanding equality is a pipe dream. It should be a reality.

Speaking of that, in Pullman tonight at a local bar there is a drink special for woman. They are to pay 79% what the men pay for their drink. It represents the difference in pay for the same work.

There is the problem. Things seem all sorts of ways when people lock themselves in a belief bubble and refuse to look outside. Rodney King? Really? I just.....wow.
Too much ground to cover and a debate that always seems to end the same way.`

Congrats.....you just committed the naturalistic fallacy....Now back to the incredible Renee Fleming....

Well.....what are the comparable crime rates for crimes of violence by race? You have a hunch, don't you?? Do you think all races are equal in their behavior??

OMG...too much there to debate Ed.

Hey Haskell, you just said you won't "make one retort"....then you went on and....made a retort.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT