ADVERTISEMENT

West coast politics will certainly kill "attended" fall and spring sports.

And after you recalculate that number with the understanding that approximately 80% of those fatalities were people suffering from pre-existing conditions (often times with multiple comorbidities), there's a strong case that we should have quarantined those at risk and those who work with or are around those at risk, not the general population.

GTFO out of here with that common sense. That has NO place on message boards.

Reactions: 79COUG
Wow, you guys with your hindsight 20:20 common sense brilliance.

It ain't about hindsight, it is about using the current "data" that guys like Inslee preach about and adjusting the current approach. Nah, let's double down on all inclusive quarantines and keep moving the goal posts.

It ain't about hindsight, it is about using the current "data" that guys like Inslee preach about and adjusting the current approach. Nah, let's double down on all inclusive quarantines and keep moving the goal posts.
Because they've got all the important questions answered, like how it's primarily transmitted--oh wait, don't know that--or whether you can develop immunity to it or if you can come down with it again--nope, don't know that one either--or if a vaccine is even possible--nope, not that one either--or if the virus will mutate rendering any vaccine useless--there's another one they don't know. But otherwise they've got it pretty will figured out.

Because they've got all the important questions answered, like how it's primarily transmitted--oh wait, don't know that--or whether you can develop immunity to it or if you can come down with it again--nope, don't know that one either--or if a vaccine is even possible--nope, not that one either--or if the virus will mutate rendering any vaccine useless--there's another one they don't know. But otherwise they've got it pretty will figured out.

OK, now it is about knowing all, I get it...Pulease

I think people are questioning why the "data" supports what the governor is doing, and why when the hospitals are empty, after two plus months to implement emergency measures, why things are not opening. Looking forward rather than back.
I can't answer that definitively, but I suspect they see a situation like New York, and that they see us on tenuous ground with a very, very contagious virus that could blow up somewhere else similar to what these hot spots are experiencing.

What they DO know and HAVE known is that the COVID acquisition rate and mortality rate is limited almost entirely to those who are over 60 years old AND have other health issues.

To me that means that schools should be back in and you dont get to visit Nanna and Pappa, just to start.

What they DO know and HAVE known is that the COVID acquisition rate and mortality rate is limited almost entirely to those who are over 60 years old AND have other health issues.

To me that means that schools should be back in and you dont get to visit Nanna and Pappa, just to start.
Except now they're seeing previously unseen symptoms in young children infected with C-19, which indicates they don't really understand this virus as well as some think we do.

Except now they're seeing previously unseen symptoms in young children infected with C-19, which indicates they don't really understand this virus as well as some think we do.
Again, the exception and not the rule. Also, as you so aptly stated, they dont know that there is a link or how/why these children are becoming ill. Pre existing conditions in infants are usually only discovered post-mortem.

Again, the exception and not the rule. Also, as you so aptly stated, they dont know that there is a link or how/why these children are becoming ill. Pre existing conditions in infants are usually only discovered post-mortem.
How do you know its the exception? Maybe it's a result of virus mutation, or it's been there all along but the association wasn't put together until now, or, or, or. Point being, do you throw caution to the wind, roll the dice and say we'll deal with later if/when it becomes a serious problem? I don't have that answer, and I'm glad I'm not the one that has to make that decision because making the wrong decision has serious repercussions on either side of the issue.

Reactions: random soul
And after you recalculate that number with the understanding that approximately 80% of those fatalities were people suffering from pre-existing conditions (often times with multiple comorbidities), there's a strong case that we should have quarantined those at risk and those who work with or are around those at risk, not the general population.
That would have been too logical.

Last edited:
Speaking as a healthcare worker in Whitman County I will say that staying closed is going to bankrupt many rural hospitals. Pullman Regional and Whitman Hospital are both on borrowed time. Both are losing millions of dollars. This is not unique to our area. Keep going how we are and healthcare will be centralized in metro areas and exacerbate any future pandemic related issues.

Speaking as a healthcare worker in Whitman County I will say that staying closed is going to bankrupt many rural hospitals. Pullman Regional and Whitman Hospital are both on borrowed time. Both are losing millions of dollars. This is not unique to our area. Keep going how we are and healthcare will be centralized in metro areas and exacerbate any future pandemic related issues.

I thought Whitman county was cleared to open earlier this week? Not that it means everything will be back to normal and patients will be living up at the door, but at least folks that need care will not be considered "elective" anymore waiting of the COVID wave to never arrive.

How do you know its the exception? Maybe it's a result of virus mutation, or it's been there all along but the association wasn't put together until now, or, or, or. Point being, do you throw caution to the wind, roll the dice and say we'll deal with later if/when it becomes a serious problem? I don't have that answer, and I'm glad I'm not the one that has to make that decision because making the wrong decision has serious repercussions on either side of the issue.

On that point, this article is pretty good. https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52648557 I won't pretend to suggest to know why this is occurring, nor can I exclude that it won't become more prevalent. It appears to show up weeks after infection, suggesting it lags the curve substantially and we could see it blow up. Otherwise, though, it seems like we're talking about something like 50 kids who had it in New York and who tested positive for COVID-19 antibodies, and 30 who weren't positive. Almost all those kids recovered, too. New York apparently has had 340,000 cases of COVID-19 confirmed, and millions more are estimated to have had it. One hears "50 kids have a weird rash that some think is caused by the virus that causes COVID-19," and that may sound like a lot and be alarming, but compare that to 340,000 cases of the disease, and 20 million people in the state, and it's just not very prevalent at all.

Yeah, I could write 85 overly wrought lines about how terrible it is for any kid to have this disease, and yes, of course, I wouldn't want my kids to get it. But 10 kids a day on average in the U.S. die of non-boating related drownings. 400 kids a year die from being hit by cars, and many more are hit by cars and injured but recover. You get the picture. Someone better than me at appealing to emotions and messaging will have to figure it out, but we can't let a tiny fraction of ordinary-course illnesses, deaths, etc. completely destroy the country.

I thought Whitman county was cleared to open earlier this week? Not that it means everything will be back to normal and patients will be living up at the door, but at least folks that need care will not be considered "elective" anymore waiting of the COVID wave to never arrive.
I thought Whitman County Hospital had a public hospital designation meaning it gets government funding. They are also supposed to have a foundation whose sole purpose is to provide a financial cushion in case it’s ever needed. I think it’s likely needed so hopefully the foundation hasn’t squandered their donations on chartered flights for bigwigs and can help out.

Seems like the portion of elective surgeries that are considered medically necessary but not urgent will get done. These are things like hernia repairs, knee replacements, etc. There will be a backlog of those cases following reopening which should help hospitals get past their short term problems. Of course some elective surgeries will be postponed indefinitely by the patient either out of fear or finances.

On that point, this article is pretty good. https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52648557 I won't pretend to suggest to know why this is occurring, nor can I exclude that it won't become more prevalent. It appears to show up weeks after infection, suggesting it lags the curve substantially and we could see it blow up. Otherwise, though, it seems like we're talking about something like 50 kids who had it in New York and who tested positive for COVID-19 antibodies, and 30 who weren't positive. Almost all those kids recovered, too. New York apparently has had 340,000 cases of COVID-19 confirmed, and millions more are estimated to have had it. One hears "50 kids have a weird rash that some think is caused by the virus that causes COVID-19," and that may sound like a lot and be alarming, but compare that to 340,000 cases of the disease, and 20 million people in the state, and it's just not very prevalent at all.

Yeah, I could write 85 overly wrought lines about how terrible it is for any kid to have this disease, and yes, of course, I wouldn't want my kids to get it. But 10 kids a day on average in the U.S. die of non-boating related drownings. 400 kids a year die from being hit by cars, and many more are hit by cars and injured but recover. You get the picture. Someone better than me at appealing to emotions and messaging will have to figure it out, but we can't let a tiny fraction of ordinary-course illnesses, deaths, etc. completely destroy the country.
My point wasn’t that this is a huge problem currently, rather things are constantly evolving and the understanding of how this virus works and changes over time is really limited at this point in time. They’ll likely still be making discoveries for the next several years.

Its totally ok to use emotion to describe how horrible this is for people: these aren't just "kids", they are someone's kids, someone's little bro or sis, someones great grands... that is real and very relatable, and incredibly heartbreaking. We probably all know someone who has lost a child and the very real devastation that is caused by that loss.

However, two things need to be considered vis a vis PMIS: again, we don't have a definitive link between COVID19 and PMIS and second, we can't continue to make broad sweeping policy based on a very, very small minority when/ if the consequences of those policies impact tens of millions negatively in some form or another, and we're not just talking about inconvenience.

Reactions: NMBRCRNCHR
My point wasn’t that this is a huge problem currently, rather things are constantly evolving and the understanding of how this virus works and changes over time is really limited at this point in time. They’ll likely still be making discoveries for the next several years.

Yeah, I get it. Much we still don't know and won't for a while.

Just curious if anyone here knows someone personally who has died of COVID who wasn't also aged or with existing underlying health issues.

Just curious if anyone here knows someone personally who has died of COVID who wasn't also aged or with existing underlying health issues.
I don't know anyone who has contracted, nor do I know anyone who knows anyone who got it. There have been very few infections here, and I think all of the deaths were in a nursing home.

No, but I have two family members who survived Covid-19 despite having preexisting conditions and being over 60.

Not here, no. We have a friend who works in a local major hospital (in Austin, TX) that was set up to be a major treatment center. Two days ago, she told us they had built up massive capacity that was about 10 to 15% full at its height, with all the hospitalizations involving the very old (75 or older), with the severe cases all involving people who had COPD or other significant existing conditions. The local hospital in my suburb also was set up to handle cases and I was told by a local doc it's completely empty and pretty much has been (as is his clinic treating non-COVID-19 stuff, which has been tough for his practice).

I know this will sound dismissive ... not my intention, it's just the facts. I've heard secondhand from a coworker who had a family member (elderly) who died from it in the NY area.

I'm fairly certain I had it after a trip to Central America in late January/early February (first world problems, I know). Lethargy, unusual cough, felt like a really weird sinus infection (Arnold Schwarzennager-Kindergarten Cop "It's NOT a toooomor".

But it wasn't bad enough to bother with a trip to the doctor. Lived in the PNW my entire life and we just call that 'winter'.

Have only heard of one person who actually tested positive - daughter of a friend of mine who had been studying abroad. Same symptoms as described above but they are Bill Gates rich and paid for the test.

Just not hearing anecdotally of first-hand acquaintances of who the victims have been. Several friends of a friend of a neighorbor's dog groomer's sister's boyfriend's grandma...but absolutely nothing first hand.

I'm fairly certain I had it after a trip to Central America in late January/early February (first world problems, I know). Lethargy, unusual cough, felt like a really weird sinus infection (Arnold Schwarzennager-Kindergarten Cop "It's NOT a toooomor".

But it wasn't bad enough to bother with a trip to the doctor. Lived in the PNW my entire life and we just call that 'winter'.

Have only heard of one person who actually tested positive - daughter of a friend of mine who had been studying abroad. Same symptoms as described above but they are Bill Gates rich and paid for the test.

Just not hearing anecdotally of first-hand acquaintances of who the victims have been. Several friends of a friend of a neighorbor's dog groomer's sister's boyfriend's grandma...but absolutely nothing first hand.

My in-laws had it. Father in-law recovered with bed rest. Mother in-law's symptoms were more severe. She took the hydroxycloriquine Z-pac cocktail and her symptoms were gone the next day.

GTFO out of here with that common sense. That has NO place on message boards.

No more incoherent than Trump saying the following "I will say this: I don’t see any reason why it would be" (talking about the Russian interference) then saying the next day he meant "wouldn't". Not a lot different than saying there are fine people on both sides in Charlottesville, then claiming he didn't say that, or we should find a way to inject a Lysol type product only to claim he was being sarcastic to the reporters.

My in-laws had it. Father in-law recovered with bed rest. Mother in-law's symptoms were more severe. She took the hydroxycloriquine Z-pac cocktail and her symptoms were gone the next day.
You do realize the whole hydroxychloroquine and/or z-pack is likely a hoax.

Holy sheet; is this for real? This nation is effed. Unless somebody kicks the bucket in office we have 4 more years of senile old man as commander in Chief guaranteed.
Joe Biden is older than Jackie Sherrill who coached WSU 44 years ago.

You do realize the whole hydroxychloroquine and/or z-pack is likely a hoax.

Taking the Z-pack and zinc alone would be beneficial without the hydroxy. Zinc makes it harder for a virus to replicate, and the Z-pack would treat bacterial infection in the lungs.

2nd Hand know of someone in the construction industry that passed due to the virus. He was in his mid 60s. Cant say his Heath was perfect but know he would fall into the tough category.

Taking the Z-pack and zinc alone would be beneficial without the hydroxy. Zinc makes it harder for a virus to replicate, and the Z-pack would treat bacterial infection in the lungs.
Yeah, but his favorite cult leader told him, and you know Trump is set to make trillions off of Hydroxy, which is why HE pushed it so hard.

Holy sheet; is this for real? This nation is effed. Unless somebody kicks the bucket in office we have 4 more years of senile old man as commander in Chief guaranteed.

Yes. Its just the latest example of Biden's declining cognitive abilities. Had Covid not swept the Democratic primary out of the headlines, Bernie would probably be the nominee.

Was reading up on the Vitamin C cold remedy wives tail a year or so ago (basically it has zero effect on duration of cold symptoms) and found where Zinc had a very minor effect on reducing symptom longevity in clinical studies ...reduced a 14 day cold to 13 days or something along those lines. I stopped buying $18/bottle Zicam after that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT