ADVERTISEMENT

When was the last time

Smith alluded to this situation on Saturday. Said that he has indicated he will chose a sport then a school.

He has given a verbal to WSU in basketball Has he backed out of this?

I don’t think he has “backed out” of anything.... yet. Smith mentioned that both coaching staffs have agreed to let him chose one way or the other and only if it doesn’t work out at one sport would the other coaches try and get him to come out. Finished by saying that they want what is best for him and they all hope he goes to school at WSU above all else. He said these things during the tailgate show down on Rodgers field couple hours before the game.

Reactions: kougkurt
Last guy I remember who played both was Mike Bush, but I think he played 2 or 3 years of basketball before adding football. Don’t know that he had dual offers. Before him, I don’t know.

“We got Bush”

Reactions: metprof
Last guy I remember who played both was Mike Bush, but I think he played 2 or 3 years of basketball before adding football. Don’t know that he had dual offers. Before him, I don’t know.
Didn't Kitrick Taylor play hoops and football in the 80s before heading to the NFL? Someone back then did both.

Josh Shavies probably had basketball offers but I don't think he ever really played at WSU. Cody Boyd played hoops for a year at WSU? Didn't play too much as I remember.

SDCoug is correct on Kitrick Taylor and he was pretty good on the Stevens teams. Mike Bush was a basketball recruit but I believe he switched to football because Graham was such a hack. I think he had football interest out of high school.

Nathan Rawlins-Kibonge has the best shot of playing both that I can remember even though it's pretty tough to do. Glad we finally offered in football.

Last edited:
Looks like Dennis Erickson missed out on Lavar Ball who played for Kelvin & who later played pro football.
(Dennis Erickson later coached The Rock at The U)
Paul Wulff, Timm Rosenbach and Lavar Ball would have been on the same WSU football team.

Looks like Dennis Erickson missed out on Lavar Ball who played for Kelvin & who later played pro football.
Paul Wulff, Timm Rosenbach and Lavar Ball would have been on the same WSU football team.
I thought I rembered Ball tried to hook on with football in the spring before he transferred. He had good offers out of high school in football as a tight end (UCLA maybe) but wanted to play hoops.

Ryan Sandberg was good enough to play for Raveling. Raveling probably assumed he was gonna focus on QB.

Last edited:
Same for Ryp

I used to play against both Sandberg and Rypien. Sandberg was a nice basketball player but he wasn't Pac-10 quality. There were probably 10 better players in the GSL his senior year.

Rypien was a much better basketball player than Ryne. He wouldn't have been embarrassed stepping on a Pac-10 court.

Lavar Ball did try out for football at WSU, he lasted two weeks, there is a funny story on it. But since it's Brand X I won't link it. In summary Lavar liked to talk, but didn't like taking hits.

I used to play against both Sandberg and Rypien. Sandberg was a nice basketball player but he wasn't Pac-10 quality. There were probably 10 better players in the GSL his senior year.

Rypien was a much better basketball player than Ryne. He wouldn't have been embarrassed stepping on a Pac-10 court.
This is probably closer to the truth. I will say that Sandberg was the type of athlete that had he walked on to a PAC Hoops team he could have carved out a role with some minutes by his 4-5th year

That is cool you got to compete against 2 of the best three sport athletes to ever come out of the State

This is probably closer to the truth. I will say that Sandberg was the type of athlete that had he walked on to a PAC Hoops team he could have carved out a role with some minutes by his 4-5th year
That is cool you got to compete against 2 of the best three sport athletes to ever come out of the State
I don’t remember specifics but one of my WSU buddies that graduated high school in 81 said that Rypien was a hell of a pitcher in high school as well. Said he was damn near unhittable. College guy pitching to fifth graders type stuff.

I thought it would be the other way around. Wasn't Ryne an All-Stater in basketball? I've forgotten the stats for baseball, but I remember the Rypiens dominating. Forgot how Shadle finished in baseball Mark's senior year...you'll know this though.

It wasn't much of a competition.

The real question is how many sports and frats Cindy Sandberg would've participated in.

I don’t remember specifics but one of my WSU buddies that graduated high school in 81 said that Rypien was a hell of a pitcher in high school as well. Said he was damn near unhittable. College guy pitching to fifth graders type stuff.

didn’t Rypien play some baseball at WSU?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT