Dec 22, 2002
CB Lamont Narcisse
DE Nusi Malani
OT Jalen Chan-Tung
WR Jay Wilkerson
WR Mike Pettway
DE Clinton Anokwuru
DE LeShaun Bell
These are the visitors we know from the last two weeks. There could be others we do not know about. I am not sure how many open spots are left. But, I would like the three DE's and the CB. I think Malani may grow into a DT.

Bell, cuz it would say alot about this staff. Malani, and aWR. PLUS EITHER NARCISSE or Davis who was let go.

I want both receivers. We need to keep the pipeline full of them as we use so many (supposedly Rolovich rotates even more than Leach). Good chance we get both Pettiway and Wilkerson.

Nusi Malani would be a fantastic DE to set the edge, something I'm sure is a priority for a staff comfortable running the 4-2-5 rather than a 3-4/3-3. He seems like a longer shot.
Also want Anokwuru. He seems excited to be a Coug. LeShaun Bell probably commits. He raved about his trip and I think the Pac-12 is a much better gig for most kids than UNLV.

I wouldn't mind taking another LB, but think we're full on DB's (6 total).

So I have us snagging 2 WR, 2 DL with one best available.

I don't have the staff's capability when it comes to evaluating talent, but from a position standpoint I suspect that our needs means we need two DL (and the biggest one, who might end up as a DT, would be the top of my list). After that I'd say the DB who has the best chance of being a fast safety would be next and we can always use another good WR.

If the number we need is 6 ? My guess is we take 2 DBs, 2 WR, 2DL. 2 DBs are now in the fold, so we have 4 spots to go.

Pure talent? Pettway. He’s an all Pac-12 talent. Dude can fly. Need...give me d linemen and lots of em

Reactions: froropmkr72
Pettway is a big time wr. Kid can fly. Sounds like Nusi might be a Virginia lean. DL Tyrone Taleni would be a last second great get. JC kid with 4 to play 3, 245 lbs with a great get off and a former rugby player from American Samoa. Gonna be a battle to get him from Kansas State. Easily could pack on 25 lbs and play inside. Bell will be a stud DE that just has a knack for getting to the qb. Would love to land him. Narcisse reminds me of Rackestraw. Has blown up late in his senior year. Runs a 10.7 100m and just was named All Division in Cali. Kid can really run and cover. The Tennessee Vol transfer at linebacker would be huge as well.

Reactions: TrumpCoug
I want both receivers. We need to keep the pipeline full of them as we use so many (supposedly Rolovich rotates even more than Leach). Good chance we get both Pettiway and Wilkerson.

REceiving stats at Hawaii don't support that. Top 4 receivers had 65+ catches each, 900+ yards each. The #5 guy (in both catches and yards) had 18 for 248. The rest of the WRs combined had a total of 41 catches for 535 yards - nobody else with more than 10 catches or 200 yards. RB receiving stats are insignificant - a combined 11 catches for 47 yards on the season.

Really doesn't appear like a deep rotation in the receiver spots. Looks a lot more like Rolo finds his top 4 guys and rides them. I'm hoping that'll change with a pretty deep stable of receivers, but we'll see.

REceiving stats at Hawaii don't support that. Top 4 receivers had 65+ catches each, 900+ yards each. The #5 guy (in both catches and yards) had 18 for 248. The rest of the WRs combined had a total of 41 catches for 535 yards - nobody else with more than 10 catches or 200 yards. RB receiving stats are insignificant - a combined 11 catches for 47 yards on the season.

Really doesn't appear like a deep rotation in the receiver spots. Looks a lot more like Rolo finds his top 4 guys and rides them. I'm hoping that'll change with a pretty deep stable of receivers, but we'll see.
Yeah I can’t see him changing too much there’s probably going to be a couple guys disappointed in their targets next year. I like the rotation because it keeps guys fresh and in theory should wear out DBs over the course of the game. But guys want to put up big numbers too so having a couple guys that barely ever leave the field lends itself to that. Pros and cons, but I’d imagine Rolo will do what he’s normally done.

Pettiway's film is insane. No idea how good the prep scene is down in Alabama but he's clearly the fastest player on the field. His reported 40 time is only 4.68, but he covers a lot of ground quickly (and the officials are moving at normal speed, so it's legit). Excited to see him stretch things vertically here.

Reactions: TrumpCoug
Pettiway's film is insane. No idea how good the prep scene is down in Alabama but he's clearly the fastest player on the field. His reported 40 time is only 4.68, but he covers a lot of ground quickly (and the officials are moving at normal speed, so it's legit). Excited to see him stretch things vertically here.
Yeah he looks way faster. 4.68 is probably electronic timed with no prep for the start. That equates to 4.48 hand time. I see a kid with at least 4.5 legit speed which is pretty damn fast out of HS. That type of speed can turn into 4.4 speed after a couple years in college. He can move.

So as a junior he basically runs the same 40 time that Gabe Marks ran at the combine as college senior. Impressive.

4.68, 40 is SLOW for a WR at the P5, Pac 12 level.

Hopefully the kid runs routes awesomely, catches, doesnt drop, has height, sideline body control, runs over D backs, makes defenders miss, possession WR, because that is NOT a FAST 40 time. And a WR with a SLOW 40 time is NOT FAST.

And so unless going to move the kid to LB, etc, then would rather have that spot goto Defense, since already have enough WR in recruiting class, and the deepest, best, WR corp in Pac 12.

4.68, 40 is SLOW for a WR at the P5, Pac 12 level.

Hopefully the kid runs routes awesomely, catches, doesnt drop, has height, sideline body control, runs over D backs, makes defenders miss, possession WR, because that is NOT a FAST 40 time. And a WR with a SLOW 40 time is NOT FAST.

And so unless going to move the kid to LB, etc, then would rather have that spot goto Defense, since already have enough WR in recruiting class, and the deepest, best, WR corp in Pac 12.

Watch his film. He looks a lot faster than his reported 40 time.

4.68 is not a fast recorded time, though as etown suggests, it may not be a true representation of how well he moves.

And I'll point out that UW and Stanford have both had a lot of fast WR's over the past several years, but have been short of kids who made clutch catches. Speed helps, but other things are more important.

Gabe Marks ran a 4.68 and he was just fine. Electric laser times are much different than the 63 year old man PE teacher with a stopwatch. Watch the combine and see how many 4.4 and 4.5 guys there are. This kid was a junior in hs at the time.

Just a thought, but if they get Pule at DE- please give him a redshirt season. Guy's played american football for only two years. He'll be more valuable in 21' and 22'. Probably graduate in 21' and be able to focus completely on football his RS Senior year.

Just a thought, but if they get Pule at DE- please give him a redshirt season. Guy's played american football for only two years. He'll be more valuable in 21' and 22'. Probably graduate in 21' and be able to focus completely on football his RS Senior year.
That would be nice. But, not sure if they have that luxury, as they need bodies on the line

Anokwuru goes to Kansas. Fairly disappointing to have all the DL's visit the past two weekends and strike out on all of them.

We have four spots to fill and we might see some desperation to fill them at the last minute.

im guessing there is no signing deadline for grad transfers, or it is not today. Many of them are still open and no reporting of their signing today.

Wilkerson and the kid from Samoa make one open spot.

Don't think we fill it today as we are crooting a Michigan St. commit who got cold feet when Dantonio retired yesterday. Would be interesting to get another RB.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT