ADVERTISEMENT

Xavier Young in Portal

chugspig

Hall Of Fame
Nov 5, 2011
Always good to see the talented young Dlineman we manage to actually sign, leave.

Edit: Scott please delete. Didn’t see I doubled up the other thread before posting.

Last edited:
a few years ago this wasn't an option, last year over 1500 players entered the transfer portal, depending on which publication you read the average is 12-19 per team, I realize the math of 1500 and 19 doesn't work. Many do not receive a scholarship offer else where. So unless you have a landing spot not always a good idea to enter. The scholarship limit of 25 per year presents a problem, and they are trying to find a way to separate transfers from incoming freshman for the 25 player limit. Oregon St went the transfer portal route in picking up a few key players, seems to be paying dividends for them. Smart use of the transfer portal can work out better than JC transfers did back in the day when there were a lot of JC's to choose from. Most teams now have someone assigned to recruiting the transfer portal, a team that works the portal right can improve quickly.

a few years ago this wasn't an option, last year over 1500 players entered the transfer portal, depending on which publication you read the average is 12-19 per team, I realize the math of 1500 and 19 doesn't work. Many do not receive a scholarship offer else where. So unless you have a landing spot not always a good idea to enter. The scholarship limit of 25 per year presents a problem, and they are trying to find a way to separate transfers from incoming freshman for the 25 player limit. Oregon St went the transfer portal route in picking up a few key players, seems to be paying dividends for them. Smart use of the transfer portal can work out better than JC transfers did back in the day when there were a lot of JC's to choose from. Most teams now have someone assigned to recruiting the transfer portal, a team that works the portal right can improve quickly.
You're right. My first reaction when I heard about the portal was of panic, but more and more, I think schools like WSU, provided they have good coaching, will be able to work the portal to their advantage.

We'll lose kids who want to be closer to home, and occasionally those who want to play for a bigger program, but there's a lot of assumed risk for the player transferring out. Also, WSU is a fun school. Most kids have an absolute blast in Pullman; hence the "Go Cougs" wherever we travel around the world. I don't think too many kids will want to leave once they get established. What I think will become more common are players who commit to bigger programs out of high school and get buried on depth charts and become anonymous within the program and on campus. Come to WSU, play early, and be a big man on campus.

I could easily sell transfers on the benefits of coming to WSU.

Last edited:
The FCS schools are really going to suffer. They used to get the kids buried on the depth chart at FBS schools that didn’t want to sit out a year. Now they won’t be able to hang into their stars.

The FCS schools are really going to suffer. They used to get the kids buried on the depth chart at FBS schools that didn’t want to sit out a year. Now they won’t be able to hang into their stars.
I thought that as well. Want to note though that Montana and Montana State picked up several P5 players via the portal this year. Most are contributing in big ways and both schools are kicking ass.

With that said, we’re still so early in this thing that your prediction still stands a chance of coming to fruition.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT