ADVERTISEMENT

Ya know, another Nebraska angle....

I don’t know. Grinch is regarded as the Tony Bennett of college football in many circles.

I don’t know. Grinch is regarded as the Tony Bennett of college football in many circles.

Yeah and Nebraska is regarded as a job to punch your ticket to being Head Coach at Youngstown State ( see Bo Pellini). I predict that will be the problem for all up and coming coaches ( including Frost/Grinch) in taking the job.

Nebraska sees themselves as a destination job because of things that they did 20 years ago, but in reality they should be a stepping stone job with no natural recruiting base and a brand that is non-existent to 18 year old athletes. Probably one of the main reasons they currently have a 66 year old AD hire and a 62 year old Head Football coach.

The guy that they really should try to hire is the current Head Coach at Iowa State, but again they are probably not that smart. He might take it because he at least knows the area and he actually might have some success.

Yes but Tony Bennett had to have success at WSU before a big program was going to come after him. Grinch could very well be ready for a Nebraska type HC job, but it's unlikely a program like that would take a risk on a guy who hasn't been 1. A head coach before or 2. A coordinator at a program of Nebraskas stature. I just don't see it happening. Grinchs next move will either be a D Coordinator of an elite CFB program or a head coach at a non-power 5 or smaller power 5 program....you just don't see guys make that big of a jump.

what circle other than us?
dronestella_31621_1.jpg

Yeah and Nebraska is regarded as a job to punch your ticket to being Head Coach at Youngstown State ( see Bo Pellini). I predict that will be the problem for all up and coming coaches ( including Frost/Grinch) in taking the job.

Nebraska sees themselves as a destination job because of things that they did 20 years ago, but in reality they should be a stepping stone job with no natural recruiting base and a brand that is non-existent to 18 year old athletes. Probably one of the main reasons they currently have a 66 year old AD hire and a 62 year old Head Football coach.

The guy that they really should try to hire is the current Head Coach at Iowa State, but again they are probably not that smart. He might take it because he at least knows the area and he actually might have some success.
Nebraska may not be what they used to be, but they have the potential to recapture a lot of the luster. I had the opportunity last year to tour the stadium and the facilities. They are top notch and when they bring in the 18-year olds on a recruiting visit, I can't imagine they aren't impressed. Husker Nation extends far beyond the Heartland which means they have pretty deep pockets, and there is a commitment to excel, even if they've come up short in recent years. Riley was a curious hire, IMO but I do think they can bring in a stronger coach. Not a sure thing, but I expect Nebraska to be a top 25 program consistently once they figure out the coaching situation.

Glad Cougar

Nebraska may not be what they used to be, but they have the potential to recapture a lot of the luster. I had the opportunity last year to tour the stadium and the facilities. They are top notch and when they bring in the 18-year olds on a recruiting visit, I can't imagine they aren't impressed. Husker Nation extends far beyond the Heartland which means they have pretty deep pockets, and there is a commitment to excel, even if they've come up short in recent years. Riley was a curious hire, IMO but I do think they can bring in a stronger coach. Not a sure thing, but I expect Nebraska to be a top 25 program consistently once they figure out the coaching situation.

Glad Cougar

Agree they should be a top 25 program...but never a national title.

Reactions: Cougzz

Glad Cougar

No doubt Nebraska has potential however their last appearance in a "BCS" type bowl was 2002. The current recruits were not even in pre-school when that happened.

Also do not doubt that they have first class facilities however all of the schools sharing in these conference network pay-outs are catching up to them if not passing them. I would bet every SEC school's facilities are on par or better than what they have in place.

No doubt Nebraska has potential however their last appearance in a "BCS" type bowl was 2002. The current recruits were not even in pre-school when that happened.

Also do not doubt that they have first class facilities however all of the schools sharing in these conference network pay-outs are catching up to them if not passing them. I would bet every SEC school's facilities are on par or better than what they have in place.

At some point, facilities won't matter. They won't matter because every school will have tip top facilities. It will come down to people, relationships and how well you can coach your kids!! Coaching matters. Academic eligibility matters. Drugs and alcohol not being abused by your players matters. Low attrition matters.

At some point, facilities won't matter. They won't matter because every school will have tip top facilities. It will come down to people, relationships and how well you can coach your kids!! Coaching matters. Academic eligibility matters. Drugs and alcohol not being abused by your players matters. Low attrition matters.

"Drugs and alcohol not being abused by your players matters."

Great point on that one. That is a much bigger factor in success than probably most people realize. Probably one of the biggest factors that has separated Saban from the pack in the SEC and of course will never headlined in the mainstream press.

Exactly. Nebraska has more company now but they are still one of the blue bloods of CFB. they have had a rough stretch but they are still an elite program.

You are correct. However if they don't get it in gear soon we could very well be the next Minnesota. I fear that but it's just a sport.

You are correct. However if they don't get it in gear soon we could very well be the next Minnesota. I fear that but it's just a sport.

Speaking of Minnesota, is anyone gonna pursue Fleck? He is special. At the right school he could give Meyer, Saban, Dabo a run for their $$$ in recruiting.

Speaking of Minnesota, is anyone gonna pursue Fleck? He is special. At the right school he could give Meyer, Saban, Dabo a run for their $$$ in recruiting.
I agree he looks like he is going to be an elite coach/recruiter. He's got a good gig at Minn. so I 'don't think there are a ton of jobs he would jump on right away including Nebraska. Maybe Bama when Saban retires but that will probably end up being Dabo who takes that job so maybe aTm if Sumlin gets canned, possibly Tennessee......

I agree he looks like he is going to be an elite coach/recruiter. He's got a good gig at Minn. so I 'don't think there are a ton of jobs he would jump on right away including Nebraska. Maybe Bama when Saban retires but that will probably end up being Dabo who takes that job so maybe aTm if Sumlin gets canned, possibly Tennessee......

I think he's a Midwest guy. ND or Ohio State or Michigan....

Nick Saban is a generational coach. UNLESS you're telling me Nebraska's next hire is going to be Sabanesque, they aren't winning a NC any time soon. Let's not put the cart before the horse, here.

It's all about coaching. There are still coaches winning. Nobody thought Dabo was going to go all the way. Urban is generational as well. Nebraska had 2 back to back so it's not out of the realm of possibility of getting someone to get this thing back in gear. Nebraska was in a lot worse shape when Devaney got here than it is now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT