ADVERTISEMENT

Yes Beasley has to

CougEd

Hall Of Fame
Dec 22, 2002
I am back in Pullman after being here last weekend . And sitting in cougar country eating cold fries. But I digress.

I went to the grad ceremony at Beasley Saturday and it needs a remodel . First, the sound sucks . The grads couldn’t hear a thing the speakers were saying and they were on the floor.

I saw an older guy at the Valhalla after the ceremony . He was telling me he was in the upper deck and he said there were no rails and feared he was going to fall.

They need to bring that building into the late 90’s

Last edited:
Reactions: cougarmike
Went to a men's game there last winter with my daughter. I felt like I was in high school again playing an away game against Othello or ellensburg or some other s*** hole

I went to the grad ceremony at Beasley Saturday and it needs a remodel

Went to a men's game there last winter with my daughter. I felt like I was in high school again playing an away game against Othello or ellensburg or some other s*** hole

79 and Ed, don't know if either of you saw it, but Brand Y had an article a few months back about SchultzChun's possible plans for a new state of the art basketball arena (assuming they'll get to work on it once the IPF is done)

A key excerpt:

"What recommendations can you expect once the report from AECOM is ready? At the very least, reduced capacity as Beasley doesn’t need the 11,000+ seats it currently has. Expect expanded premium seating along with amenities similar to what they have in Martin Stadium club sections, like alcohol sales. Whether it’s a new building or a redone Beasley, you can expect much more intimate seating to try and bring fans closer to the action.

So, would it be a renovated Beasley or a brand new building? Tough to say at this point (and why the school put out the RFQ!). I would suspect that if the costs are roughly the same with a completely new building costing somewhere around 5-10% more, the school may just go for that so as to not interrupt the use of Beasley for the 18-24 months it would take to complete the building. If the school does go that route, I’d expect them to build the new facility in either of the parking lots adjacent to Beasley currently."

So maybe it's enjoy the venerable Beasley Coliseum while you can?

https://www.cougcenter.com/2022/8/9/23298762/wsu-cougars-beasley-coliseum-remodel-rebuild

Reactions: 79COUG
There are several balls in the air with regard to this decision. Sure, overall budget is a piece. But two other pieces include having the facility available to use right up to when the new one is complete...which is worth some premium over just a remodel of the existing....and just as significant, the purpose that the old building or its location might be put to once the new one is done. That is prime campus real estate.

Reactions: PeteTheChop
I am back in Pullman after being here last weekend . And sitting in cougar country eating cold fries. But I digress.

I went to the grad ceremony at Beasley Saturday and it needs a remodel . First, the sound sucks . The grads couldn’t hear a thing the speakers were saying and they were on the floor.

I saw an older guy at the Valhalla after the ceremony . He was telling me he was in the upper deck and he said there were no rails and feared he was going to fall.

I just want my Bob Robertson statue before a new Coliseum!

Just kidding.

I just want my Bob Robertson statue before a new Coliseum!

Just kidding.

giphy.gif

Reactions: COUGinNCW
Speaking about the subject.....should there ever be a Mike Leach memorial somewhere?
Eight years....just saying.

Good call M.I.

I always enjoyed the articles at Brand X (not that Scott Hood and the guys here weren't good writers, too), but it seemed like towards the end that the leadership at BX had it out for CML.

Not sure if they did or didn't like his political views or maybe he got a little salty with one of their cub reporters ... but whatever the reason(s), they seemed like were ready for Leach to hit the road sooner rather than later 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
There are several balls in the air with regard to this decision. Sure, overall budget is a piece. But two other pieces include having the facility available to use right up to when the new one is complete...which is worth some premium over just a remodel of the existing....and just as significant, the purpose that the old building or its location might be put to once the new one is done. That is prime campus real estate.

Good points Crazy.

What kind of ways could Schulz and Chun repurpose Beasley (and for that matter "The Bubble") once the new replacements are up and running?

well upgrading the sound system can't be that tough. I could hear just fine at my daughter's graduation, but granted that was 15 years ago. As far as the rails - they did install rails some years ago. Were they just in the lower concourse? I haven't been in there in quite a few years.

To 79's "shithole" comment. I mean c'mon. I was there in the Raveling years, the Sampson years, and the Bennett years. When we were winning the place was just fine. You are only there for 2 hours. If the seats have deteriorated, fine. Replace them. Concessions suck? upgrade them.

I am just totally opposed to tearing it down for a new facility, especially a smaller one. We are talking hundreds of millions of dollars, which we don't have with declining enrollment and the increasing NIL burden. And the adjoining parking lots are filled with student and staff cars every day. Where are you going to put them for 2 years while building this news building?

WSU has taken what, 20 years to build the IPF? And that still hasn't started. It's gonna take 100 years for WSU to build a new basketball arena at this point. No way this should be at the top of the priority list.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
Would be great…but the bigger it is the more expensive the overhaul is. I don’t see how you get anything significant done now without a massive influx of funds. It’ll be 10 years before it’s feasible. Gonna have to find a way to put lipstick on a husky for now.

They could rent Idaho’s new arena for a season if they needed to accommodate for a construction schedule.

Oh wait, we big timed Idaho in hoops. They should tell WSU to pound sand.

Good call M.I.

I always enjoyed the articles at Brand X (not that Scott Hood and the guys here weren't good writers, too), but it seemed like towards the end that the leadership at BX had it out for CML.

Not sure if they did or didn't like his political views or maybe he got a little salty with one of their cub reporters ... but whatever the reason(s), they seemed like were ready for Leach to hit the road sooner rather than later 🤷‍♂️
Statues/facility names are for coaches who win championships and/or have long legacies. Leach did a great job turning the program around, but lets get real! You build statues for coaches whose claim to fame is multiple Holiday Bowls, or similar, campus is going to start to look like the garden of an arab billionaire. Vote him into the hall of fame, it is well deserved.

• Haha
You build statues for coaches whose claim to fame is multiple Holiday Bowls, or similar, campus is going to start to look like the garden of an arab billionaire.

LOL, never heard that one before SoCal.

Gotta admit an Arab billionaire would come in handy to fund Biggs' stadium expansion to 55K, a state-of-the-art basketball arena for Ed, a massive NIL war chest for Coug-A-Tron, a MILF's gathering spot for Loyal and, of course, M.I.'s 50-foot statue of BobRob :)

Care to donate?

Statues/facility names are for coaches who win championships and/or have long legacies. Leach did a great job turning the program around, but lets get real! You build statues for coaches whose claim to fame is multiple Holiday Bowls, or similar, campus is going to start to look like the garden of an arab billionaire. Vote him into the hall of fame, it is well deserved.

Leach should get a section in our football operations building that details his impact on our program, but yeah, sucking against the Huskies year after year and failing to get a conference championship means that he is not at the top of the list for folks being honored with statues. It's important to remember that those Holiday Bowl appearances were both losses and he finished his last season with a losing record and left us with a team that had some significant recruiting gaps. He left WSU a lot better off than it was when he arrived, but he got bored/tired of the WSU job before he earned the right to a statue.

Gotta admit an Arab billionaire would come in handy to fund Biggs' stadium expansion to 55K, a state-of-the-art basketball arena for Ed, a massive NIL war chest for Coug-A-Tron, a MILF's gathering spot for Loyal and, of course, M.I.'s 50-foot statue of BobRob :)

If you want WSU to continue with junior varsity stadiums and arenas, you should leave. WSU does not need more fans that embrace low expectations, poor results or low ceiling thinking in general.

Making fun of fans that want more is exactly the kind of poverty mentality that keeps WSU down.

The school is better off without you and other like you. You make it worse. The culture you create, enable and demand continue is gross to me. Don James was 100% spot on about WSU with his quote. I will let you and other losers google it to read it.

Personally I think that the City of Pullman, WSU and the Athletic Department all should go in on the cost of remodeling Beasley. It’s a community building, everybody uses it. It isn’t solely for WSU athletics. A remodeled Beasley will be better everybody.

It has been a while since I wandered around the outside of Beasley but I’m pretty sure any chance for expansion/renovation to the east got gobbled up by by the rec center.

Otherwise, the approximate location is about perfect - walkable from the entire campus. I have to wonder whether the location of the track could be considered and tying together a smaller new facility into some north side addition to Martin Stadium.

For a basketball only facility seating should only be in the 8000 range if that. Beasley is cavernous and has been filled, what, maybe once in the past decade for a game? (Klay’s jersey retirement)

Something has to be done to update Beasley. It’s not as dumpy as ASU but every other school in the conference has vastly better hoop facilities.

If you want WSU to continue with junior varsity stadiums and arenas, you should leave. WSU does not need more fans that embrace low expectations, poor results or low ceiling thinking in general.

Making fun of fans that want more is exactly the kind of poverty mentality that keeps WSU down.

The school is better off without you and other like you. You make it worse. The culture you create, enable and demand continue is gross to me. Don James was 100% spot on about WSU with his quote. I will let you and other losers google it to read it.
Biggs, you talk a lot of shit. But I bet you don't donate crap to WSU. But hey, I don't anymore either. And yes I know the Don James quote.

It has been a while since I wandered around the outside of Beasley but I’m pretty sure any chance for expansion/renovation to the east got gobbled up by by the rec center.

Otherwise, the approximate location is about perfect - walkable from the entire campus. I have to wonder whether the location of the track could be considered and tying together a smaller new facility into some north side addition to Martin Stadium.

For a basketball only facility seating should only be in the 8000 range if that. Beasley is cavernous and has been filled, what, maybe once in the past decade for a game? (Klay’s jersey retirement)

Something has to be done to update Beasley. It’s not as dumpy as ASU but every other school in the conference has vastly better hoop facilities.
Well Beasley gets filled for every graduation, Dad's and Mom's weekend concerts, and I don't know what else. It's not all about basketball. That said, I don't argue about the need to update. But shit, all this whing about it annoys me. You go to a game, sit there for 2 hours, then leave. And for the teams, if the locker rooms are adequate (don't know the answer to that), what else do you need?

There are plenty of Milf's gathering around down here that we could turn this into a satellite campus. I am reconsidering going to church on Sundays because of them.

The lord's work is calling :D:cool:

• Haha

With all due respect, I think you might've missed your mark on this one Biggsy.

Not everyone is out to get you

I think all of the aforementioned facilities and amenities and war chests would be fantastic — and having a Knight in shining armor or a green-thumbed Arab with a lot of green to pay for it — would be best of all.

Let's hope Dr. Schultz and his man servant AD can get their IPF legacy project finished quickly and keep the ball rolling

Leach should get a section in our football operations building that details his impact on our program, but yeah, sucking against the Huskies year after year and failing to get a conference championship means that he is not at the top of the list for folks being honored with statues. It's important to remember that those Holiday Bowl appearances were both losses and he finished his last season with a losing record and left us with a team that had some significant recruiting gaps. He left WSU a lot better off than it was when he arrived, but he got bored/tired of the WSU job before he earned the right to a statue.

More deserving of a WSU statue: Mike Leach or Jim Walden?

Whattaya think Flat?

There are plenty of Milf's gathering around down here that we could turn this into a satellite campus. I am reconsidering going to church on Sundays because of them.

All of 'em wearing sun dresses as the great kjstoph (RIP?) always used to quip at BrandX

With all due respect, I think you might've missed your mark on this one Biggsy.

Not everyone is out to get you

I think all of the aforementioned facilities and amenities and war chests would be fantastic — and having a Knight in shining armor or a green-thumbed Arab with a lot of green to pay for it — would be best of all.

Let's hope Dr. Schultz and his man servant AD can get their IPF legacy project finished quickly and keep the ball rolling

If you are using my beliefs as a way to make jokes or shame me, I haven’t missed any mark. I am spot on.

On the list of things WSU needs, first is the eradication of the losers and their poverty mentality that holds the university back. Then worry about donors.

Newsflash, people with big $ don’t do business with people that have a poverty mentality or standards that are lower than theirs. If WSU wants bigger donors, it will be WSU raising its standards to meet those of the donors. It will not be big $ donors lowering their standards to meet WSU.

Broke is temporary. Poor is forever. WSU needs leadership that will move it forward, not mire in a poverty mindset that takes 20+ f’ing years to build a warehouse.

So, are you putting skin in the game?

If you are using my beliefs as a way to make jokes or shame me, I haven’t missed any mark. I am spot on.

My CougZone signature FWIW:

“It’s really important we build a first-class facility ... it can’t be the kind of thing that is sort of OK and we know we’ll have to do something else in 5-6 years."
— Kirk Schulz, President, WSU, August 2020

My CougZone signature FWIW:

“It’s really important we build a first-class facility ... it can’t be the kind of thing that is sort of OK and we know we’ll have to do something else in 5-6 years."
— Kirk Schulz, President, WSU, August 2020

For what it’s worth, if you are using my remarks as a way to make jokes, I haven’t missed any mark.

I don’t care what your signature is.

Of those two, Mike Leach in a heartbeat. Walden gets a plaque on the wall with one of his snarky quotes.
... and I guess CPW gets his face on Martin Stadium urinal cake

Will always admire Coach Walden single-handedly moving the Apple Cup back to Pullman in 1982

Reactions: Cougini5591
... and I guess CPW gets his face on Martin Stadium urinal cake

Will always admire Coach Walden single-handedly moving the Apple Cup back to Pullman in 1982

LOL on the Wulff idea. Don't know that even that would be worth money.

Walden does deserve credit for making WSU more relevant. Too bad he couldn't get us over the hump before patience wore out on both sides.

Um how many coaches in WSU history has gone to 5,6 bowl games in 8 seasons, BEFORE LEACH? Cue the Jeopardy music.

NONE, IN WSU'S entire history.

That's like Riley going to 8,9,10 bowl games in 10 years at Ore St, something that had never been done at Ore St, before Riley.

Another question.

How many coaches have won 3,4 8,9+ win seasons at WSU, Before Leach?

Cue the Jeopardy music.

Mike Price was the only one in WSU history.

Another question.

How many WSU coaches have won 11 games in WSU history, BEFORE LEACH?

Cue Jeopardy Music

NONE.

How many WSU coaches almost went to a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, before Leach?(Remember if it weren't for either USC cheating Minshew, or not for 4 feet of snow in Apple cup, WSU would have gone to the PLAYOFFS, NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, NY6, like ROSEBOWL, COTTON BOWL, FIESTA BOWL. Also at 11-2, that was WORTHY of a ROSEBOWL, FIESTA BOWL, instead of a Alamo bowl)

Cue Jeopardy Music

Price was only 1 before Leach.

How many WSU coaches won a ESPN GameDay, and got, had GameDay come to Pullman, before Leach?

Cue Jeopardy Music.

NONE.

What or How many WSU coaches have had to turn around as bad a dumpster fire as Paul Wulf, and not only turn around program, but turn it into 3,4 8+ win seasons, 6 bowl games, a ESPN College GameDay, and a 11-2 equivalent of a Playoff, NY6 equivalent season, before Leach?

Cue Jeopardy Music.

NONE.

How many WSU coaches have done as much as Leach with LESS, as Leach?

Cue Jeopardy Music.

Walden, Erickson, Price.

Sounds like according to all that, that Leach was a legendary coach at WSU.

Leach, and Riley are LEGENDARY coaches for WSU, Ore St.

And anybody who says that Leach, Riley don't deserve a statue(They won't get one), for what they did at WSU, Ore St, is wrong.

Walden strikes me as apart of the guard that believes WSU has "lost its innocence".

Frankly, not a fan of him. The only thing he should have is a plaque that reads: "HHHOLLLLLDDDINNNGGG!!!1111!!"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT