ADVERTISEMENT

A night with Cougar Football

CougInSpain

Hall Of Fame
Dec 22, 2009
Anyone going to this on March 9th? If so, can the people you are going with put the heat on Chun to answer honestly about what they're actively doing to try and remove Larry Scott?

Reactions: mikalalas
Anyone going to this on March 9th? If so, can the people you are going with put the heat on Chun to answer honestly about what they're actively doing to try and remove Larry Scott?

But isn't it the conference presidents that seemed to be owned by Larry Scott? Isn't the presidents that have to power to remove him, and not the ADs? I honestly don't know.

The conference presidents hold the power, not the ADs. So, asking Chun to do anything would be a waste of time. Ask Kirk Schulz to do something.

What are they supposed to do? Short of a terminable offense, Larry Scott has a contract.

Unless one of them can gets pics of him with young boys, Scott is on a multi-year, multi-million dollar ride at the expense of the conference.

What are they supposed to do? Short of a terminable offense, Larry Scott has a contract.

Unless one of them can gets pics of him with young boys, Scott is on a multi-year, multi-million dollar ride at the expense of the conference.

If there isnt a performance clause you have to question the presidents ability to do business too.

Reactions: earldacoug
The conference presidents hold the power, not the ADs. So, asking Chun to do anything would be a waste of time. Ask Kirk Schulz to do something.
Yes, accountability is with the presidents. It certainly can’t hurt to bring it up with Chun, though. Where is the downside? I would imagine that he has more direct communication with Schulz than anyone on this message board. What’s the issue with a little extra heat on this topic?

Yes, accountability is with the presidents. It certainly can’t hurt to bring it up with Chun, though. Where is the downside? I would imagine that he has more direct communication with Schulz than anyone on this message board. What’s the issue with a little extra heat on this topic?

Schultz was pretty vocal a year or so ago with regard to the dismal financial performance of the Pac-12 Network - but apparently he's been shushed lately by the other Presidents and Chancellors. Somebody must have clued him in on the pecking order of where his opinion stands relative to the other 11 members. He's probably somewhere in the same range as Ernie Kent's normal status in the standings - 10th, 11th, 12th.

They are doing business the way government always does business, piss poorly.

But but but....last year's budget was this.....

I dunno - maybe use something besides a ficticious made up spreadsheet to monitor finances....like ACTUALS for a change.

You have schools that see the $$$ rolling in on gameday, donations, TV revenue and they get it. They treat their program like a business and it does well by them.

Then you have the PAC 12.

This was what I was trying to get at here. I understand Chun doesn't have any sort of authority in what happens to Scott, but I would have to think that the more people/fans/alum voice their concern over the future of Pac-12 football with that dipsh!t Scott at the helm, the more the heat will be felt by the university presidents to want to take action.

I had to refresh my memory on this, and when I did a just about barfed. So in 2017, when Scott had one year left on his contract, the Pac-12 presidents gave him an extension to 2022. Bet they wish they had a do-over on that. I assume and hope that they didn't sneak in some rollover clause, and that the end of 2022 is still the term.

It seems like a public records request could be made for Scott's contract, but I'm sure Canzano (Oregonian) would have gotten it if it was possible. The Pac-12's 17-18 990 tax return is due May 15, so it will be a little bit enlightening, but not relative to contract terms (curious about Woody Dixon's contract too). If Scott's is fully guaranteed (another question), we are talking about nearly $19 million thru 2022. And we lament CEK's deal.

If I were the Pac-12 Presidents, I would commission a full outside audit of the Pac-12's finances, contracts, etc. No stone left unturned. Then I would release it. Pretty sure that will happen when......well you know (imagine picture of devil on ice skates).

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/03/08/pac-12-larry-scott-commissioner-extension
https://awfulannouncing.com/ncaa/oregonian-video-larry-scott-pac-12-copyright-claim.html
https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/2018/11/closing_the_door_on_the_pac-12.html

Any contract has not-for cause provisions for separation. Scott can be removed of his duties, or reassigned to a consulting role. It's insane he's making so much money. That said, he's not immune to anything. The fact that the officiating scandal caught wind, and they proceeded to cover it up, opens up the door for "cause" related termination.

If the CEO group wanted to retain outside council to investigate ethics and possible financial improprieties, I bet there is a paper trail to terminate Scott. The reality is, Larry doesn't want a public execution and if he's smart (which i think he is), he'll be in front of this and start the job search process now. More likely, they greatly restructure the Pac-12 office, cut expenses and he digs in for strategic placement/partnerships of the Pac-12 network.

The fact that our "blue blood" hoops programs are suffering, is largely going to be attributed to Scott, the Pac-12 network, lack of exposure and falling behind in resources from the other conferences. I think coupled with our football perception nationally is fading, Larry is going to be fighting an up hill battle to stay in charge.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT