ADVERTISEMENT

Afraid to ask, but...

BleedCrimsonandGray

Hall Of Fame
Oct 2, 2007
What exactly are we supposed to be running on offense? Because it looks like the same ol' shit we've seen last year - Ward bails on pockets way too early, gives up on his progressions and baits the defense into committing to the pass and then takes off. I imagine he fancies himself to be Lamar Jackson-esque from the way he plays.

Don't get me wrong, I'm always glad for the win but all its going to take is a defense who can play man to do so and put a spy on Ward and the offense is toast.

Am I being too critical?

What exactly are we supposed to be running on offense? Because it looks like the same ol' shit we've seen last year - Ward bails on pockets way too early, gives up on his progressions and baits the defense into committing to the pass and then takes off. I imagine he fancies himself to be Lamar Jackson-esque from the way he plays.

Don't get me wrong, I'm always glad for the win but all its going to take is a defense who can play man to do so and put a spy on Ward and the offense is toast.

Am I being too critical?
I don't think you're too critical. It's dumb to not want better.

I saw flashes of awesome.

I saw reality checks of weak/stupid.

I think we are good at enough positions and coaching to be 6 or 7 wins.

Tell me in all honesty... how many guys do we have that would start for utah, fuw, fUsc, Whoregon...

To date... I'm at 4

Reactions: Coug90

Tell me in all honesty... how many guys do we have that would start for utah, fuw, fUsc, Whoregon...

To date... I'm at 4
Yeah I think it’s fine to question certain things that seem to be glaring issues. The biggest of which is not being able to run the ball. Ward still has his head scratching moments, but it’s damn hard playing QB when you have no running game and a shaky OLine. They’ve got two weeks to figure out how to generate some sort of a ground game other than Ward scrambling. OSU will likely be the first example of why this is not sustainable.

To date... I'm at 4
Which 4?

Am I being too critical?
yes

I just enjoyed the pure entertainment of watching us beat Wisconsin in Pullman on a beautiful day with a packed house knowing we were witnessing the biggest non-conference college football game that has ever and will ever, be played in Pullman.

I just don’t see any fault with yesterday from any perspective.

2-0!

Go Cougs!

I saw DeLaura had 4 picks yesterday. As a team the Cougs have 0 turnovers this year. Obviously, turnovers were the difference in yesterdays game. And yes, I still think that was a safety.

My bad, I guess Ward had a couple fumbles last week.

Reactions: Coug90
I saw DeLaura had 4 picks yesterday. As a team the Cougs have 0 turnovers this year. Obviously, turnovers were the difference in yesterdays game. And yes, I still think that was a safety.

It definitely could have been called a safety and we wouldn't have been able to complain about it, but at the same time, he was tackled into the endzone. My take was that since the contact was initiated outside the endzone, his "forward progress" was the point where they called him down.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
It definitely could have been called a safety and we wouldn't have been able to complain about it, but at the same time, he was tackled into the endzone. My take was that since the contact was initiated outside the endzone, his "forward progress" was the point where they called him down.
I might have thought FIckell and the Wisconsin players would've objected a lot more if they were certain it was a safety. I'll admit it was awfully close, but I do believe the ruling is justified when the contact and stop of forward progress is made outside the end zone.

Glad Cougar

I checked on the Badger board...didn't see any mention of the possible safety in the game article.

I might have thought FIckell and the Wisconsin players would've objected a lot more if they were certain it was a safety. I'll admit it was awfully close, but I do believe the ruling is justified when the contact and stop of forward progress is made outside the end zone.

Glad Cougar
The only complaint I saw was this guy, and his video shows only the last half of the tackle -- which both commenters point out. If you have legit gripe, you don't edit out half the play, you show that the ball never left the endzone before or after tackling contact was made.

The one I have aproblem with was the fumble. Clearly, neither official saw what happened, in that situation the on field call should have been down, unless there is video evidence otherwise.

The only complaint I saw was this guy, and his video shows only the last half of the tackle -- which both commenters point out. If you have legit gripe, you don't edit out half the play, you show that the ball never left the endzone before or after tackling contact was made.

The one I have aproblem with was the fumble. Clearly, neither official saw what happened, in that situation the on field call should have been down, unless there is video evidence otherwise.

We are usually on the other side of these calls.

Reactions: MikeFingLeach
Ward is a fine college QB. He’s not perfect, but his athletic ability and strong arm forces defenses into protective schemes because they can’t key on one strength.

With all of the changes and likely roster turmoil we’re going to experience next season, we would really benefit from Ward coming back.

Am I being too critical?
Cam looks bad when he’s pressured. They cleaned that up in the 4th quarter by telling him to run.

Ward is a fine college QB. He’s not perfect, but his athletic ability and strong arm forces defenses into protective schemes because they can’t key on one strength.

With all of the changes and likely roster turmoil we’re going to experience next season, we would really benefit from Ward coming back.
I'm not one of those calling for the backup QB to become the starter, but I wonder if next year should be Mateer's time. I'm afraid he's in the portal if he isn't starting by next year. Unfortunately, gone are the days of Matt Kegel and Mike Pattiinson waiting until their senior year to become #1 at QB. For that reason, I would not be upset if Cam moves on after this year. But he has my full support at this point and I think he's doing quite well overall, even though he still has things to clean up.

Glad Cougar

I checked on the Badger board...didn't see any mention of the possible safety in the game article.
Did Badger fans complain about officiating when the left guard jumped early on the last Wisconsin touchdown the announcers discussed but didn’t get called?

Reactions: PeteTheChop
Check again on social media. They were howling how they got screwed by PAC-12 refs.
Were they actually Pac-12 refs?

I assumed they were not, because they weren’t terrible. and they were allowing a LOT of downfield contact - way more than the Pac-12 has in the past.

We are usually on the other side of these calls.
I heard a couple of their fans complaining about bad calls on the way out of the stadium. One made a comment like “nobody’s ever going to come to Pullman and have that call go their way.” Actually had to laugh at that. Told him that shows how many games he’s seen in Pullman.

I was shocked they didn’t call it a safety. Shocked again when they didn’t reverse the fumble. Again when they called offensive PI on Wisconsin. Those are the things that never go our way.

True to form though, they kept the flag in their pocket several times when Wisconsin OTs were clearly holding Jackson.

That safety was ABSOLUTELY on the O LINE, and NOT on Cam, as, as soon as the ball was successfully snapped, Cam was immediately sacked, with almost no time to throw it away, and even if throw it away, it would have been GROUNDING, and no chance to ESCAPE.

It was just a GOOD RUSH, and HORRIBLE PASS BLOCKING, MISSED BLOCKS, BY THE O LINE.

THAT WAS NOT CAM's FAULT.

It’s been this way for two seasons now. Ward is a magician back there. Not the problem!

Half right, Morris and Ward and O Line, were all BAD LAST season, and STRUGGLED to score, and if the defense had not been so good, the offense would have lost a lot of games, only scoring about 17 to 20 to 23 to 27 points.

The 40 scored vs Oregon, and 52 vs Stanford, were the EXCEPTIONS.

This season, the OFFENSE, CAM, ARBUCKLE, ARE WAY THE HELL BETTER THEN MORRIS, CAM, OFFENSE LAST SEASON.

I'm not one of those calling for the backup QB to become the starter, but I wonder if next year should be Mateer's time. I'm afraid he's in the portal if he isn't starting by next year. Unfortunately, gone are the days of Matt Kegel and Mike Pattiinson waiting until their senior year to become #1 at QB. For that reason, I would not be upset if Cam moves on after this year. But he has my full support at this point and I think he's doing quite well overall, even though he still has things to clean up.

Glad Cougar

It should be if Cam transfers, or leaves early to NFL.

If Cam comes back for his final senior year next year, Cam will probably be so good, so experienced, etc, that you still start Cam over Mateer.

Mateer is good, great, awesome, would be a starter, if not for Cam, etc, but as good as Mateer probably is, he still does not have a lot of playing time, experience, and is largely UNTESTED.

That said if Mateer beats out Cam next season, you go with Mateer, but I don't think Mateer would beat out Cam next year.

Mateer's best chance to beat out Cam, was this year, until ARBUCKLE replaced Morris, and FIXED CAM, and the offense.

It should be if Cam transfers, or leaves early to NFL.

If Cam comes back for his final senior year next year, Cam will probably be so good, so experienced, etc, that you still start Cam over Mateer.

Mateer is good, great, awesome, would be a starter, if not for Cam, etc, but as good as Mateer probably is, he still does not have a lot of playing time, experience, and is largely UNTESTED.

That said if Mateer beats out Cam next season, you go with Mateer, but I don't think Mateer would beat out Cam next year.

Mateer's best chance to beat out Cam, was this year, until ARBUCKLE replaced Morris, and FIXED CAM, and the offense.
All I can say about Mateer, is that I can't wait for the second half of the Northern Colorado game on Saturday. We're going to see a lot of playing time for guys on our roster.

No, this won't be a trap game. Dickert won't let that happen.

Let.John.Mateer.Rip.com

Last edited:
I guess I'm not sure what the rule is but Ward's foot is clearly in front of the goal line when he is hit and falls back into the end zone. Saying his forward progress was outside the end zone seems right to me.

Getting back to the original post....I did not think that Ward bailed early on the pocket more than a couple of times, and those were instances when he thought that he either saw a worthwhile seam, or believed that he saw escape avenues closing. I think he and Arbuckle will have some conversations this week about just how long he hangs in there vs. waiting for the seam to close. That is always a tough one to define.

Our O line made some progress. They need to continue to evolve through the season; more to be done there. They missed some blitz coverages. Assignment recognition needs to be exceptional when your blocking is not 100% of what it needs to be. It is one thing to get beat; it's quite another to completely miss an assignment.

It will be interesting to me to see what OSU does about Cam's running. Rush 3 + spy? Rush 4 with a DE contain mandate as opposed to a full on rush? Rush 4 + spy? I'm guessing we see some of all 3 of these. If OSU has enough good safeties, and given our weak run game, I'd expect to see no LB's at all. They can disguise pass coverages with 7 DB's and one of them (never the same guy twice in a row) can be the spy, also doubling as a MLB. If we can't run the ball against 7 DB's, then I'd expect to see OSU stay in that mode for the full game. That said, a safety playing LB will be up against a load when he hits Watson with 3 steps of momentum behind him. Our yards after contact should be good in that scenario.

I was surprised to not see more from the TE's, but that is the kind of choice that you make depending upon what the D is giving you.

Getting back to the original post....I did not think that Ward bailed early on the pocket more than a couple of times, and those were instances when he thought that he either saw a worthwhile seam, or believed that he saw escape avenues closing. I think he and Arbuckle will have some conversations this week about just how long he hangs in there vs. waiting for the seam to close. That is always a tough one to define.

Our O line made some progress. They need to continue to evolve through the season; more to be done there. They missed some blitz coverages. Assignment recognition needs to be exceptional when your blocking is not 100% of what it needs to be. It is one thing to get beat; it's quite another to completely miss an assignment.

It will be interesting to me to see what OSU does about Cam's running. Rush 3 + spy? Rush 4 with a DE contain mandate as opposed to a full on rush? Rush 4 + spy? I'm guessing we see some of all 3 of these. If OSU has enough good safeties, and given our weak run game, I'd expect to see no LB's at all. They can disguise pass coverages with 7 DB's and one of them (never the same guy twice in a row) can be the spy, also doubling as a MLB. If we can't run the ball against 7 DB's, then I'd expect to see OSU stay in that mode for the full game. That said, a safety playing LB will be up against a load when he hits Watson with 3 steps of momentum behind him. Our yards after contact should be good in that scenario.

I was surprised to not see more from the TE's, but that is the kind of choice that you make depending upon what the D is giving you.
And I will add (and this oughta trigger ole Bigsy), Wisconsin is a good team that's going to put guys in the NFL. Ward wasn't going to be 100 percent perfect, which appears to be the standard for certain posters on this board.
Overall, I thought he had one of his better games. He didn't make any catastrophic errors and saved the bacon for some of his teammate where Watson fumbled followed by Gomness firing a snap to the moon.

I haven't looked closely at OSU's personnel, but against Ward I think I'd stick with the 4 man rush and try to keep him under pressure without opening running lanes. I don't know that a DE contain or an LB spy would be effective, because he can outrun either one.

Best bet is probably to keep him under pressure and confuse him with shifting coverages.

FWIW it wasnt a safety. Ball was beyond the GL when contact was initiated. That call has always been like the bang/bang play at first in baseball where tie goes to runner. They always give benefit of doubt to ball carrier on that one in both college and pros.

Reactions: kougkurt
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT