ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama hires 2 former (recent) NFL head coaches...

ttowncoug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 9, 2001
Bill O'Brien (Texans), Doug Marrone (Jags).

This certainly helps recruiting and player development.

Maybe now they can land some talent. In all seriousness, Bama aside, an NFL hook is a great way for a program, especially one like WSU, to recruit. It's one thing for a guy who was coaching in the Mountain West last year to tell you he can get you to the NFL. It's another thing for a guy who actually coached in the league (especially as a head coach) to say it.

Of course, the guy actually has to be a good coach, able to recruit and produce in the college game, and attainable to land, too. Not like it's the only factor. But it has always seemed to me like a great way to go for a program that may not have a lot of other things it can use to outgun other teams on the recruiting trail.

Maybe now they can land some talent. In all seriousness, Bama aside, an NFL hook is a great way for a program, especially one like WSU, to recruit. It's one thing for a guy who was coaching in the Mountain West last year to tell you he can get you to the NFL. It's another thing for a guy who actually coached in the league (especially as a head coach) to say it.

Of course, the guy actually has to be a good coach, able to recruit and produce in the college game, and attainable to land, too. Not like it's the only factor. But it has always seemed to me like a great way to go for a program that may not have a lot of other things it can use to outgun other teams on the recruiting trail.
Bama can do it because they don’t need to recruit like other schools 5 stars are lining up to go there. Most schools have to think recruiting first. NFL coaches have to keep prima donna players who are under contract motivated. College coaches have to go convince 18 year olds why they should spend 5 years in their town/program. I’m not sure going the NFL coach route would work for a lot of programs.

Bama can do it because they don’t need to recruit like other schools 5 stars are lining up to go there. Most schools have to think recruiting first. NFL coaches have to keep prima donna players who are under contract motivated. College coaches have to go convince 18 year olds why they should spend 5 years in their town/program. I’m not sure going the NFL coach route would work for a lot of programs.
Plus theyre paying kids behind Sabans back. So theres thats...

Yeah, I don't mean doing what Bama is doing with recent NFL head coaches. Bama doesn't ask its coordinators to recruit, so it's easier for it (at least with O'Brien). I meant more like what ASU is doing with Herm, or some other programs have done with coaches who had been in the NFL as position coaches, coordinators, and stuff like that. Kids care about getting to the NFL more than anything, so having that experience (even if just as a player, but especially as a coach) is pretty big.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT