ADVERTISEMENT

Arkansas

So you think Arkansas would beat most of the SEC East? Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, and Missouri? I don’t.

I love Leach. I love his system...at WSU. In a league where you would face 7 teams a year with NFL talent all over their defensive rosters, and power rushing attacks, I think they’d get smothered. All of those programs have the back 7s to chase receivers.

Leach’s system was made for the P12.

Once he was up and running, yes, I think he would. I see what you're saying, and can understand if he wouldn't want to bet his career on it, but I think he could hold his own in the conference other than against the three true behemoths in the SEC W. Would be interesting to watch, certainly.

So you think Arkansas would beat most of the SEC East? Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, and Missouri? I don’t.

I love Leach. I love his system...at WSU. In a league where you would face 7 teams a year with NFL talent all over their defensive rosters, and power rushing attacks, I think they’d get smothered. All of those programs have the back 7s to chase receivers.

Leach’s system was made for the P12.

In 2010, how many people would have been predicting that WSU would be going to 4 straight bowl games (and maybe 5)? Who would have predicted that we'd beat Oregon four times in a row? Or Utah? Anyone that gives Leach five years is going to have a team that goes toe to toe with the big boys and wins more often than not. Would Leach win the SEC West? Probably not. Could he get Arkansas to the point where they win 8-10 games every year? Hell yes.

Arkansas plays Portland State, Ole MIss, Colorado State, San Jose State, TAMU, UK, Miss State, Western Kentucky, and Missouri this year (along with Auburn, Alabama & LSU). That's 9 winnable games and 3 games where he'd try to get 1 win. Don't fool yourself. If the right team opens up their pocket book.....Leach is gone. Nobody stays forever.

These things are cyclical and Arkansas isn't at a systemic disadvantage against the rest of it's conference they way WSU has been. Every team in that division has had very beatable teams in the past decade except for Bama. But Leach would instantly be able to recruit top 25 classes at Arkansas and could have opponents lamenting trips to Fayetteville immediately
It is simply not true that the SECW is like any other and its current strength is “cyclical.” For God’s sake, 3 different teams have won national championships out of that division going back 15 years, 2 of them multiple times. There just isn’t a meaningful stretch where that division hasn’t had multiple meaningful contenders this side of 2000. If we go back through Sagarin and average Arkansas’ SOS I bet it’s a Top 20 schedule

5855f1e73338bceb00bcb8a1aa4d87d2_Untitled-1_0015_Beaver_Lake_Paddle_Boarding_1997

fun2.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

extra_large_380a1eb3f29871a541f0fb2b41ddced3.jpg

I personally have no desire to live in Arkansas.......but the pictures above are all within a short drive of Fayetteville.
I lived in MO for a few years and later called on Walmart in Bentonville. The pictures above exist in AR but this is not a realistic picture of what most of AR looks like. Appears to be Table Rock Lake above, but even that doesn't hold a candle to the Snake or the lakes in Central WA. Despite their offering the best airport experience in the US in Bentonville, you should be thinking more endless county roads with minivans zooming by, sweltering heat and humidity and chain chicken restaurants... that experience is for some people and most of those people haven't sampled much outside of AR.

I lived in MO for a few years and later called on Walmart in Bentonville. The pictures above exist in AR but this is not a realistic picture of what most of AR looks like. Appears to be Table Rock Lake above, but even that doesn't hold a candle to the Snake or the lakes in Central WA. Despite their offering the best airport experience in the US in Bentonville, you should be thinking more endless county roads with minivans zooming by, sweltering heat and humidity and chain chicken restaurants... that experience is for some people and most of those people haven't sampled much outside of AR.

The pictures are Beaver Lake, which is not far from Fayetteville. I went on a guided fishing tour there a while back and it was a great experience. I'm curious to know what lakes there are in Central Washington that you think are better than Table Rock or Beaver Lake. Chelan is all right, but Table Rock (and Beaver) are far more interesting to boat around on. Lake Wenatchee is nice, but it's a farm pond compared to the enormous length and variety that you'd see at Table Rock or Beaver Lake. Fish Lake is a smaller version of Lake Wenatchee. One of the cool things about Table Rock is that there are a number of restaurants where you can dock your boat, eat lunch, and then head back out onto the lake again. Potholes Reservoir? Sh!t, you might as well be in Kansas at that point.

I will say that driving in Arkansas to get to the areas that are nice is not a good experience. Narrow roads and idiots don't mix well. (Am I the idiot or are they? Hmmmm....both?) Arkansas isn't for everyone and lord only knows if Leach would be interested (I hope he's not), but if someone has boatloads of cash, there are good experiences to be had there. My company is headquartered in Little Rock and we went there for our annual meeting last month. Meh. So, I get the complaints, but at the same time, I've seen enough there to know that trying to take a dump on the state of Arkansas while trumpeting the merits of Pullman, Washington is the epitome of glass houses and subjectivity.

EDIT: for the comment about shallow waters in the lakes in Arkansas...the average depth of Beaver Lake is 60 feet and it's 204 feet deep at the dam.

I am a bit puzzled as to why a coach with a current losing record and a 1-5 record in what may be the softest conference in the country is considered a hot commodity. Most of us, including myself, are pleased with having CML at WSU. We have seen up close what it was like prior to his appearance and are deeply aware of his accomplishments during his tenure. Are the alumni and boosters in Arkansas or Florida State going to be happy with him leading their team? I doubt it. They will only look at the current state of affairs with our performance and react with outrage and panic directed toward the Athletic Director who will have chosen him. I like leach but our present performance isn't going to impress anyone including ourselves. Never say never but I firmly expect Mike to be our coach next year.

The pictures are Beaver Lake, which is not far from Fayetteville. I went on a guided fishing tour there a while back and it was a great experience. I'm curious to know what lakes there are in Central Washington that you think are better than Table Rock or Beaver Lake. Chelan is all right, but Table Rock (and Beaver) are far more interesting to boat around on. Lake Wenatchee is nice, but it's a farm pond compared to the enormous length and variety that you'd see at Table Rock or Beaver Lake. Fish Lake is a smaller version of Lake Wenatchee. One of the cool things about Table Rock is that there are a number of restaurants where you can dock your boat, eat lunch, and then head back out onto the lake again. Potholes Reservoir? Sh!t, you might as well be in Kansas at that point.

I will say that driving in Arkansas to get to the areas that are nice is not a good experience. Narrow roads and idiots don't mix well. (Am I the idiot or are they? Hmmmm....both?) Arkansas isn't for everyone and lord only knows if Leach would be interested (I hope he's not), but if someone has boatloads of cash, there are good experiences to be had there. My company is headquartered in Little Rock and we went there for our annual meeting last month. Meh. So, I get the complaints, but at the same time, I've seen enough there to know that trying to take a dump on the state of Arkansas while trumpeting the merits of Pullman, Washington is the epitome of glass houses and subjectivity.

EDIT: for the comment about shallow waters in the lakes in Arkansas...the average depth of Beaver Lake is 60 feet and it's 204 feet deep at the dam.
Just across the lake from Arkansas is Big Cedar Lodge if you ever get a chance. The most unbelievable redneck paradise founded by the Bass Pro Shops guy and it must be losing millions every year. It's a little hokey but if you have any appreciation for woodworking, hunting, fishing, firearms, views, golf, boating, dining, wine, taxidermy or landscaping you will go out of your mind. The flagship Bass Pro in Springfield is also the most unbelievable outdoor destination you will ever see, and at 535k feet it is nearly 3x bigger than the biggest Costco in the world. Its museum has actual firearms owned by Napoleon, King James, John Wayne, Billy the Kid - it's insane. But having lived there, that is not life in MO or AR. As I say, more like fried chicken chains, county roads and cash advance joints in strip malls.

In WA, you have everything from Lake Washington/Union to Chelan/Colchuck to Banks/Roosevelt, as well as the Snake and Columbia, and the Puget Sound and the Pacific Ocean, Ocean Shores, islands... 10 to 1 the variety for every water-based interest as opposed to AR. I remember everyone in MO telling me we had to go river tubing and every time we did it and were underwhelmed by the filthy muddy redneck experience, someone told us we had to try another river, or get farther out into MO/AR, or so on. It was always the same.

Just across the lake from Arkansas is Big Cedar Lodge if you ever get a chance. The most unbelievable redneck paradise founded by the Bass Pro Shops guy and it must be losing millions every year. It's a little hokey but if you have any appreciation for woodworking, hunting, fishing, firearms, views, golf, boating, dining, wine, taxidermy or landscaping you will go out of your mind. The flagship Bass Pro in Springfield is also the most unbelievable outdoor destination you will ever see, and at 535k feet it is nearly 3x bigger than the biggest Costco in the world. Its museum has actual firearms owned by Napoleon, King James, John Wayne, Billy the Kid - it's insane. But having lived there, that is not life in MO or AR. As I say, more like fried chicken chains, county roads and cash advance joints in strip malls.

In WA, you have everything from Lake Washington/Union to Chelan/Colchuck to Banks/Roosevelt, as well as the Snake and Columbia, and the Puget Sound and the Pacific Ocean, Ocean Shores, islands... 10 to 1 the variety for every water-based interest as opposed to AR. I remember everyone in MO telling me we had to go river tubing and every time we did it and were underwhelmed by the filthy muddy redneck experience, someone told us we had to try another river, or get farther out into MO/AR, or so on. It was always the same.

As a whole, the state of Washington obviously offers things that just aren't available in Arkansas. Fly fishing in nearby Idaho is undoubtedly superior to the experience you'd get in the Ozarks.....mosquitoes and humidity considerations above all else. That said, when's the last time that you read a story about Leach hanging out in the Puget Sound? Arkansas is definitely too redneck for me as a place to live, but I'm not being offered over $4 million per year to do so. I don't believe that Leach would even remotely consider the place if it's a lateral move in terms of pay, and frankly, I'd be surprised that he would consider any offer under $6 million.

As much as I like Leach, he's best suited at a place like WSU and he knows it. He would hate being at a blue blood school. Arkansas would probably be a better cultural fit than we'd like to admit, but I don't know if it's the right fit in terms of financial compensation and all of the other factors that goes into making the choice. I certainly don't think he should do it....but I'm selfish and don't want him to leave.

Going back to the point of my pictures, to pretend that Arkansas is a joyless pit of despair with nothing but mosquitoes and hillbilly's is to accept that all of the stereotypes about Pullman define it and are true.

I think everywhere in the Pacific Northwest is better than anywhere in Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Kansas. Not saying that to be a jerk, but I've lived and traveled throughout the USA. No way would I willingly live in Arkansas over Pullman. But that's just me.

I think everywhere in the Pacific Northwest is better than anywhere in Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Kansas. Not saying that to be a jerk, but I've lived and traveled throughout the USA. No way would I willingly live in Arkansas over Pullman. But that's just me.
Generally I’d agree but I think I’d be pretty comfortable anywhere in the world with $6- $8 mill a year to work with.

Generally I’d agree but I think I’d be pretty comfortable anywhere in the world with $6- $8 mill a year to work with.

yep. That’s private plan money which makes where you “live” almost irrelevant.

South end of Lake CDA is a hell of a lot more convenient (and a Great Lake) as far as Leach would be concerned vs something in Central Washington. But for my money, the nicest lake in the NW is Priest Lake in Northern Idaho.

Going back to the point of my pictures, to pretend that Arkansas is a joyless pit of despair with nothing but mosquitoes and hillbilly's is to accept that all of the stereotypes about Pullman define it and are true.

To be clear, Arkansas IS a joyless pit of despair. Terrible climate, terrible crime rate, terrible job market, terribly low resident education (ranks as the 47th least educated state in the Union). It truly is one of the least livable states in the USA. That's not debatable, and we don't need to sugarcoat it.

This isn't about making justifications to keep Leach in Pullman, it's a public service message that he would be selling him and his wife short by signing up to coach at and live in a colossal dumpster fire.

I think Leach would be happy and find interest in Siberia...not sure that is an impediment to taking a particular job.

I loved being a student at WSU but honestly, I have no desire to live in Pullman and frankly, the state of Washington, at this time in my life. I lived in Lacey for a year and hated the traffic and the bloated bureaucracy of the western Washington regulatory environment. I lived in Spokane over the summer when I was in college and wasn't impressed. I looked at moving to Spokane in the late 90's but I would have had to take a pay cut and my housing expense would have been higher. Frankly, Wichita was a better place to live than Spokane from my experiences with the two and there was no way that I could accept a drop in my standard of living to be there. The fact that those nimrods in Spokane are still trying to finish the north-south freeway after 30+ years of jacking their jaws about it is laughable. I went to the Tri-Cities a lot when I worked for the DOT and found it lacking. I have a couple friends in the Yakima area and all I can say is, "Oh hell no!". I lived in north-central Washington when I was in high school and while it's a great place to hide from the rest of the world, there is no way to argue that it's a good place to make a good living for most people. I have family that lives out by Shelton and yeah, don't want to live there for sure.

Every place has its good points and bad points and I would agree that Arkansas would not be my first choice as a place to live. However, if I was offered a 50% salary bump over what I make right now to move there, I'd think about it. I wouldn't retire there at the end of the day, but I'd work there if the money was right. As a retiree, I might look at living in Washington again because there are a lot of great things to do if you live in the right spot. As a working adult, the cost of living, ease of commute, centralized location, good schools for my kids, access to amenities, great job and other intangibles that I get by living in the midwest means that from my perspective, I couldn't imagine living in Washington right now. I do wish that I was closer where it was easier to get to games, but I wouldn't trade the overall balance in my life for the scenery of Washington. I get why people love Washington, but there are tradeoffs that don't work for me.

Again, even though I'm happy working where I am.....I don't plan on retiring here. I'm more likely to retire to Washington than stay in Kansas.

There are actually some interesting points being made in between the other stuff in this thread.

Having lived in the Kansas/Oklahoma/Missouri/Arkansas version of 4 corners, I can point to some things that I like and some things that I don't like. My things would not necessarily even match (in fact, probably would NOT match) what others think.

I think one thing that hasn't been considered enough is what CML wants for his next 10 years. By now he knows what he has in Pullman and what he would have to consider as a trade-off if he went somewhere to start over with a bigger salary. Mike Leach has intimate experience in reporting to a jerk and the jerk's boss; in working for a state university that hid behind sovereign immunity in order to steal from him; in working at a "football school" where sports have always been more important (at least to a significant number of alums and boosters) than academics; and in working for a "basketball school" where lip service is paid to football but there is no real commitment to it. That gives a nice broad brush, but doesn't fully even scratch the surface. After putting a lot of time in getting a JD and realizing (as many, many have before) that law is no fun and not what he wanted to do with his life, he then went elsewhere and got a masters in what I perceive to be some combination between sports admin and coaching. He then started at the bottom and worked up. He has exceptional talent in some areas, and he does not deliberately do anything that he perceives to be significant without planning.

At this point, my read from 50,000 feet is that he wants to be respected and left alone to run his program. He would like more money, but even more he would like more money for his assistants. He likes walking to work and walking home, stopping along the way to look at things that catch his interest. He likes the weather; he considers Cody to be his home town and it would be hard to find more similar weather to Cody anywhere in the P5 conference. A few places would be as close as Pullman, but none are closer. Most important, he doesn't live under a spotlight in Pullman, and there are darned few P5 schools that could offer that.

I've always suspected that CML looks at WSU as being similar enough to TT that as he succeeds in Pullman, it is one more finger gesture toward Lubbock.

My guess is that the DC situation will be sorted out one way or the other and we will reload for next season. Not rebuild, reload. Imagine being able to say that at many points in the past 100 years in Pullman! A team that is one stopped drive at the end of 3 games from 7 wins is not a rebuild situation. Disappointing, yes. Rebuild, no. Even the great Mike Leach (and I mean the "great"; not a lot of college football coaches could claim to be better) has a down season now and then, and he will reflect on the season quite a bit after it is over....and come up with some things he will want to change.

This is the golden age of football in Pullman. Let's display a little more enjoyment and a little less angst.

There are actually some interesting points being made in between the other stuff in this thread.

Having lived in the Kansas/Oklahoma/Missouri/Arkansas version of 4 corners, I can point to some things that I like and some things that I don't like. My things would not necessarily even match (in fact, probably would NOT match) what others think.

I think one thing that hasn't been considered enough is what CML wants for his next 10 years. By now he knows what he has in Pullman and what he would have to consider as a trade-off if he went somewhere to start over with a bigger salary. Mike Leach has intimate experience in reporting to a jerk and the jerk's boss; in working for a state university that hid behind sovereign immunity in order to steal from him; in working at a "football school" where sports have always been more important (at least to a significant number of alums and boosters) than academics; and in working for a "basketball school" where lip service is paid to football but there is no real commitment to it. That gives a nice broad brush, but doesn't fully even scratch the surface. After putting a lot of time in getting a JD and realizing (as many, many have before) that law is no fun and not what he wanted to do with his life, he then went elsewhere and got a masters in what I perceive to be some combination between sports admin and coaching. He then started at the bottom and worked up. He has exceptional talent in some areas, and he does not deliberately do anything that he perceives to be significant without planning.

At this point, my read from 50,000 feet is that he wants to be respected and left alone to run his program. He would like more money, but even more he would like more money for his assistants. He likes walking to work and walking home, stopping along the way to look at things that catch his interest. He likes the weather; he considers Cody to be his home town and it would be hard to find more similar weather to Cody anywhere in the P5 conference. A few places would be as close as Pullman, but none are closer. Most important, he doesn't live under a spotlight in Pullman, and there are darned few P5 schools that could offer that.

I've always suspected that CML looks at WSU as being similar enough to TT that as he succeeds in Pullman, it is one more finger gesture toward Lubbock.

My guess is that the DC situation will be sorted out one way or the other and we will reload for next season. Not rebuild, reload. Imagine being able to say that at many points in the past 100 years in Pullman! A team that is one stopped drive at the end of 3 games from 7 wins is not a rebuild situation. Disappointing, yes. Rebuild, no. Even the great Mike Leach (and I mean the "great"; not a lot of college football coaches could claim to be better) has a down season now and then, and he will reflect on the season quite a bit after it is over....and come up with some things he will want to change.

This is the golden age of football in Pullman. Let's display a little more enjoyment and a little less angst.

Your comment about being "left alone to run his program" is the thing that will keep Leach in Pullman as much as anything else. A 4-5 season so far has done a great job of shining the lot on our more fair weather fans that are in it more for the wins than they are for than just being a Coug, but at the end of the day, if we miss a bowl game this year.....it's gonna be alright. People will bitch, but given that we've finished with a losing record in 18 of the past 30 years.....Leach knows that he has nothing to worry about.

He can call his players zombies and frauds with little to no repercussion and he has a significant amount of autonomy in his running of the program. Any place with an established tradition is going to freak out on Leach pretty quickly.

I do like the notion that Leach gets special satisfaction with Tech knowing that WSU is better most of the time now. Tech is generally predicted to finish 4-8 this year......so if we can beat Stanford, they'll be looking up at Leach again.

Do any of you believe how the Pac-12 handles its business (revenue, officiating, game times, etc) will have much of an effect on how long Leach stays in Pullman?

To be clear, Arkansas IS a joyless pit of despair. Terrible climate, terrible crime rate, terrible job market, terribly low resident education (ranks as the 47th least educated state in the Union). It truly is one of the least livable states in the USA. That's not debatable, and we don't need to sugarcoat it.

This isn't about making justifications to keep Leach in Pullman, it's a public service message that he would be selling him and his wife short by signing up to coach at and live in a colossal dumpster fire.
How dare you!

Paramedic in Arkansas Accused Of Cutting Diamond Ring Off Dead Patient’s Finger

Reactions: random soul
There is a reason people arent moving to Arkansas in droves. It sucks there.
Oh really? Lol

“The region is the fastest-growing in the state, and the 15th fastest-growing in the United States, with a 16.03% growth rate between 2010 and 2017.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northwest_Arkansas#Demographics

As well as “Fayetteville Ranked No. 4 Best Place To Live According to U.S. News & World Report”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/5newso...-live-according-to-u-s-news-world-report/amp/

Just look up YouTube videos about Northwest Arkansas...

The PNW isn’t a bad area, but to act like Fayetteville is a sh*thole is asanine. I’d be shocked if Pullman was a statistically better place to live than NWA.

I can see a few factors that would lead to Leach leaving.

1. Money. Obviously. Not much we can do if a school like Arky or FSU backs up the Brinks truck and offers the guy $6M per.

2. Coaching turnover. I've been saying for a while, I don't think spending the offseason finding, interviewing, hiring and training new coaches is how Leach prefers to spend his time. I think he's probably pretty irked that schools like Oregon can come in and poach his coaches with such ease.

3. The Pac12. The Pac12 monkey circus is going to make it more difficult to retain coaches for all schools.

Oh really? Lol

“The region is the fastest-growing in the state, and the 15th fastest-growing in the United States, with a 16.03% growth rate between 2010 and 2017.”

As well as “Fayetteville Ranked No. 4 Best Place To Live According to U.S. News & World Report”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/5newso...-live-according-to-u-s-news-world-report/amp/

The PNW isn’t a bad area, but to act like Fayetteville is a sh*thole is asanine. I’d be shocked if Pullman was a statistically better place to live than NWA.
It does bother me that berating southerners and the south is the last acceptable cultural prejudice.

For me, I lived in Pullman, but I also lived in MO and spent a good amount of time recreating in southern MO/NWA and also called on Walmart in Bentonville for my job (they created the video you posted), and my in-laws are also from Fayetteville, so I feel I've seen enough to know I don't need to go back.

By contrast, I no longer live in WA but hope to get back there someday with my kids. I live in CO and while it has great mountain activities, it doesn't hold a candle in terms of islands, peninsulas, deserts and rainforests and coasts. But my best friends are from MO and from the military, I loved living in NYC and enjoy CO and visiting Europe... in fact, the people who are the most confident that THEIR place is the best and it's not even a question are the people who have left their hometown the least.

Reactions: random soul
Oh really? Lol

Be prepared to be shocked. Could happen.

I can see a few factors that would lead to Leach leaving.

1. Money. Obviously. Not much we can do if a school like Arky or FSU backs up the Brinks truck and offers the guy $6M per.

2. Coaching turnover. I've been saying for a while, I don't think spending the offseason finding, interviewing, hiring and training new coaches is how Leach prefers to spend his time. I think he's probably pretty irked that schools like Oregon can come in and poach his coaches with such ease.

3. The Pac12. The Pac12 monkey circus is going to make it more difficult to retain coaches for all schools.

In regards to #2..... I think it’s bullcrap for HS’s making zillions of dollars to gripe about the lack of $ for assistant coaches. Leach doesn’t need $4m per year. He could cut that in half, still be wealthy as hell, and pay the assistants more $.

Im waiting for the day when ADs offer packages for the entire coaching staffs pay, rather than giving all the $ to the HC and listening to a guy making $4m+ cry about not enough $ for assistants.

In regards to #2..... I think it’s bullcrap for HS’s making zillions of dollars to gripe about the lack of $ for assistant coaches. Leach doesn’t need $4m per year. He could cut that in half, still be wealthy as hell, and pay the assistants more $.

Im waiting for the day when ADs offer packages for the entire coaching staffs pay, rather than giving all the $ to the HC and listening to a guy making $4m+ cry about not enough $ for assistants.

I agree 100% that we live in a bizarre age where compensation for head coaches have reached ludicrous levels and there should be more balance in the system.

However, the anecdotal evidence suggests that the right head coach is worth every penny that they are paid. I know that you are all sorts of butthurt about our current record and think that Leach is suddenly an inferior coach, but I guarantee that Chun and Shulz don't agree with you and they are happy to pony up the money to Leach.

So, I agree with your premise, but I realize that it ain't happening.

Agreed. Those high schools making zillions of dollars should just zip it. Wait, what?

Im starting to see some momentum building for Leach to Arkansas amongst the state media and fanbase.

I live in Little Rock.

FWIW, Bob Stoops reportedly is not interested in the Florida State job. I don't think Leach would be on the FSU list anyway, but I don't know that. Arkansas is more likely to be a place that reaches out to Leach. Will he be receptive?

Glad Cougar

I was impressed with the WSU fan base when I attended games this year, are there any Wulff fans on here that want Leach to leave ? Ill hang up and listen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT