M-I-Coug

Hall Of Fame
Oct 13, 2002
Mercer Island

WSU baseball, women’s swimming joining Mountain West as affiliate members​

Greg WoodsApril 16, 2024 at 12:47 pm
By
The Spokesman-Review
PULLMAN — Washington State’s baseball and women’s swimming teams have a conference home, at least temporarily.

Those programs are joining the Mountain West Conference as affiliate members for the next two seasons, per a news release, providing a landing spot for two of the last WSU programs to find one. The agreement goes into effect on July 1.

“Finding a home for our baseball and women’s swimming programs has been a top priority for our athletic department and we appreciate the efforts of so many to get to this point,” WSU interim athletics director Anne McCoy said via release. “This agreement offers both programs a competitive schedule in a west coast-based conference while providing a championship path for coming seasons.”

As Washington State and Oregon State — the two Pac-12 schools left behind in conference realignment — attempt to rebuild the conference, the schools are using a two-year grace period to enter agreements with other conferences. The Cougars’ football team utilized a scheduling agreement with the Mountain West to provide them with six opponents next fall, while their basketball teams are joining the West Coast Conference on an affiliate basis.

Affiliate status through the NCAA allows for member affiliates to compete for conference and national championships.

Membership fees for WSU were not immediately clear.

Oregon State is going independent in baseball next year, largely thanks to its long history of success — including a national title in 2018 — which gives the program the ability to schedule teams and bring them to campus. WSU doesn’t have that luxury, which is why it’s entering an agreement with the Mountain West.

In total, 10 WSU programs are joining the WCC as affiliate members next season: Men’s and women’s basketball, men’s and women’s cross country, men’s and women’s golf, rowing, soccer, tennis and volleyball.

Greg Woods Washington State beat writer for The Spokesman-Review

Welcome to the MWC for those sports.

The MWC Swim and Diving Championships have been held at the U of Houston the last couple of years. Very nice facilities. They are also shown on the MWNetwork. So those who are interested could follow that event on the MW App for free.

Conference baseball games are also show on the MWC app. The MW only has 7 schools right now that compete in the MWC for baseball. It will be refreshing to see an 8th team. Current standings: https://themw.com/standings/?sport=3&season=517

Will traditional colleges be relevant in 10 years?

Elementary kids are utilizing AI in their daily education now.

The idea that a red brick institution holds the secret knowledge seems dated to me.

Will traditional colleges be relevant in 10 years?

Elementary kids are utilizing AI in their daily education now.

The idea that a red brick institution holds the secret knowledge seems dated to me.
It’s not a coincidence that at many schools - including WSU - their virtual campus is the one with the biggest enrollment increases.

It’s not a coincidence that at many schools - including WSU - their virtual campus is the one with the biggest enrollment increases.
And we're all stunned that these kids don't know how to interact with others, have no social skills or mores, and are selfish beyond reason.

Reactions: LeachPack
And we're all stunned that these kids don't know how to interact with others, have no social skills or mores, and are selfish beyond reason.
I was going to say something similar. A big part of the "college experience" used to be growing into adulthood by dealing with and meeting people, and interacting with humans in and out of class. And yeah having some good times along the way.

I never cease to be amazed at how many, if not most people (not just young ones) spend their lives buried in their phones. A particular annoyance is the dog park I go to. People come in, let their dogs run wild. They spend the entire time staring at the phones, as their dog goes out and shits, gets into fights, bothers others, etc.

Distance education is a way to get a degree, but it is not a complete education by any means, nor does the quality measure up in many if not all cases. IMHO

A further annoyance is the complete lack of knowledge of the world around them - and the limited knowledge that have is from some blogger or X poster. $5 sez half of them don't know who the President is, never heard of Ukraine, etc. That is today's society.

Reactions: longtimecoug
I was going to say something similar. A big part of the "college experience" used to be growing into adulthood by dealing with and meeting people, and interacting with humans in and out of class. And yeah having some good times along the way.

I never cease to be amazed at how many, if not most people (not just young ones) spend their lives buried in their phones. A particular annoyance is the dog park I go to. People come in, let their dogs run wild. They spend the entire time staring at the phones, as their dog goes out and shits, gets into fights, bothers others, etc.

Distance education is a way to get a degree, but it is not a complete education by any means, nor does the quality measure up in many if not all cases. IMHO

A further annoyance is the complete lack of knowledge of the world around them - and the limited knowledge that have is from some blogger or X poster. $5 sez half of them don't know who the President is, never heard of Ukraine, etc. That is today's society.
I'm fairly convinced that this is also a big part of the reason we see big rises in traffic accidents and fatalities too. People in general just don't pay attention to anything anymore.

Reactions: LeachPack
Agreed, but the pandemic played a part at well. I have a late teen son who is amazingly uncomfortable on the telephone. Wild times.

Agreed, but the pandemic played a part at well. I have a late teen son who is amazingly uncomfortable on the telephone. Wild times.
Our 21 year old daughter is also uncomfortable talking on the phone, or picking up the phone to make calls, except to us. Apparently SnapChat is very common amongst this age group.

She's probably going to transfer to Arizona State as we transition in the next few weeks to AZ. Not in my wildest dreams I ever thought my daughter would be a SunDevil. Granted, she's not into college football, or any spectator sports, even though we've indoctrinated her as a COUG since a child.

My wife and I went to the COUG game in Tempe last October. Not really impressed with anything in and around the stadium. They did beat us, though.

Last edited:
Our 21 year old daughter is also uncomfortable talking on the phone, or picking up the phone to make calls, except to us. Apparently SnapChat is very common amongst this age group.

She's probably going to transfer to Arizona State as we transition in the next few weeks to AZ. Not in my wildest dreams I ever thought my daughter would be a SunDevil. Granted, she's not into college football, or any spectator sports, even thought we've indoctrinated her as a COUG since a child.

My wife and I went to the COUG game in Tempe last October. Not really impressed with anything in and around the stadium. They did beat us, though.
Not to cast shade (well maybe a little), but your 21-year-old adult daughter (a senior to be?) is transferring to ASU because Mom and Dad are moving there?

Not to cast shade (well maybe a little), but your 21-year-old adult daughter (a senior to be?) is transferring to ASU because Mom and Dad are moving there?
She's a junior. Yeah, you may have missed the thread or posts, (on the hoops board), but we are moving to N. Scottsdale. 🌵 🌵 🌵 🌵 🌵 🌵 🌵

Last edited:
She's a junior. Yeah, you may have missed the thread or posts, (on the hoops board), but we are moving to N. Scottsdale. 🌵 🌵 🌵 🌵 🌵 🌵 🌵
No I saw the posts. My semi-snide point was that your 21-year-old is apparently hanging on to Mom and Dad's security blanket. My son went off to Western at 18 and basically never came back. My daughter moved out at 18 never to return home but did stay in Pullman and went to WSU (Spokane for her Master's).

I'm jealous of your move. I hate the cold.

No I saw the posts. My semi-snide point was that your 21-year-old is apparently hanging on to Mom and Dad's security blanket. My son went off to Western at 18 and basically never came back. My daughter moved out at 18 never to return home but did stay in Pullman and went to WSU (Spokane for her Master's).

I'm jealous of your move. I hate the cold.
I hear you. We've lived in King County, (WA) our entire lives. My wife is tired of the cold. I've seen enough of the moss, lichen and mold. The clouds, the drizzle 8 months a year. I won't miss anything.....and guess what? (For MI and west Bellevue, I don't need to learn Mandarin, Chinese or Cantonese for my business to flourish, which is virtually next to impossible....because we don't have the native tongue!

She's probably going to transfer to Arizona State as we transition in the next few weeks to AZ. Not in my wildest dreams I ever thought my daughter would be a SunDevil. Granted, she's not into college football, or any spectator sports, even though we've indoctrinated her as a COUG since a child.

I'm trying my hardest to temper my irritation bordering on anger at these kids, but when we were all raised to be polite and kind to strangers, even when they perhaps didn't deserve it and I'm being constantly treated rudely by these self-absorbed, selfish kids - its hard. Case in point:

On a plane yesterday in my aisle seat, gen Y'er lady approaches and declares her middle seat. I reply to her "ok" - I can see she has her carry-on to put away and there's people stacked up behind her, so I stay seated. Before she is even ready to sit down (her bag is still on the ground) she tells me "well, I'm not going to crawl over you so you're going to have to get up."

Uh... ok.

My brain said "how about you put your fking bag away and then move the fck out of the space that you're asking me to occupy first, THEN I'll get up." My mouth said a far more polite version of that, of course.

Now I'm left to think that my seatmate is a man-hating liberal whack job that assumes all men want to grope her because her 40 bmi is soooooo sexy, so during the flight I purposely shove my body as far into the aisle as possible so as not to invoke the wrath of the mentally fragile woman-child, because I've seen the youtube videos of these unhinged Karen types.

But more than likely she just doesn't have any social skills at all because our generation failed her by putting her fragile ego and all-important self-esteem above the rules of civil society.

I'm trying my hardest to temper my irritation bordering on anger at these kids, but when we were all raised to be polite and kind to strangers, even when they perhaps didn't deserve it and I'm being constantly treated rudely by these self-absorbed, selfish kids - its hard. Case in point:

On a plane yesterday in my aisle seat, gen Y'er lady approaches and declares her middle seat. I reply to her "ok" - I can see she has her carry-on to put away and there's people stacked up behind her, so I stay seated. Before she is even ready to sit down (her bag is still on the ground) she tells me "well, I'm not going to crawl over you so you're going to have to get up."

Uh... ok.

My brain said "how about you put your fking bag away and then move the fck out of the space that you're asking me to occupy first, THEN I'll get up." My mouth said a far more polite version of that, of course.

Now I'm left to think that my seatmate is a man-hating liberal whack job that assumes all men want to grope her because her 40 bmi is soooooo sexy, so during the flight I purposely shove my body as far into the aisle as possible so as not to invoke the wrath of the mentally fragile woman-child, because I've seen the youtube videos of these unhinged Karen types.

But more than likely she just doesn't have any social skills at all because our generation failed her by putting her fragile ego and all-important self-esteem above the rules of civil society.
Did you verify they/their pronouns?

It may not have even been a she. Did you contemplate that?

Or how oppressed they/them may have been in their 20 years of life? You did offer reparations, right?

Reactions: kougkurt
Did you verify they/their pronouns?

It may not have even been a she. Did you contemplate that?

Or how oppressed they/them may have been in their 20 years of life? You did offer reparations, right?
You're right on all accounts. I was definitely being an oppressor.

Wanna know the crazy thing? I'm watching they/ them fidget around holding their phone and the thought actually crossed my mind of offering them my gadget that clamps to the seat or tray and holds the phone up for you... but I didn't want to force my patriarchy on them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT