ADVERTISEMENT

Beasley

Loyal Coug1

Hall Of Fame
Aug 24, 2022
I won't link it because that's a no-no, but Brand X has an article on A Night with Cougar Athletics, including a short interview with Chun.

There was a quote on Beasley, which I will copy and paste:

"Chun told the faithful that planning is underway for a new basketball complex and arena for the women's and men's teams. Beasley Coliseum is 50 years old this year. He noted that 11 of the 12 schools in the Pac-12 have modern basketball complexes, as do each of the four schools rumored to be on the conference's expansion list. More details on proposed project will be coming in the months ahead."

In a perfect world I would say sure. In the real world, I say NO. Beasley, while dated, is a big solid place with a great location. Renovate it, modernize it, expand the guts of it (who has been in the bowels? I have), sure. But build a new arena? Does that mean tear Beasley down? Or put up a second building elsewhere, which would go where? Out on the golf driving range? In place of the rec playfields?

Idaho's funky new 4,200 seat arena cost $51 million, completed 2 years ago. What are we trying to build? We need at least twice that many seats. Beasley holds 12,000 for basketball, and I am sure that many of you saw it packed during the Raveling, Sampson (at least that Cal game) and Bennett years. When full that place is awesome. We also see it packed during concerts and (my daughter's) graduation.

So what? With declining enrollment, $75 ? million in accumulated athletic deficits not to even mention the Martin stadium debt (2 different things), and an iffy Pac-12 conference future we are going to build a what - $100 million arena? Or $150 million if we are going to raze and replace Beasley?

A big fat nosey from this Coug. I won't give dime one for this insanity.

I won't link it because that's a no-no, but Brand X has an article on A Night with Cougar Athletics, including a short interview with Chun.

"Chun told the faithful that planning is underway for a new basketball complex and arena for the women's and men's teams. Beasley Coliseum is 50 years old this year. He noted that 11 of the 12 schools in the Pac-12 have modern basketball complexes, as do each of the four schools rumored to be on the conference's expansion list. More details on proposed project will be coming in the months ahead."

In a perfect world I would say sure. In the real world, I say NO. Beasley, while dated, is a big solid place with a great location. Renovate it, modernize it, expand the guts of it (who has been in the bowels? I have), sure. But build a new arena? Does that mean tear Beasley down? Or put up a second building elsewhere, which would go where? Out on the golf driving range? In place of the rec playfields?

Idaho's funky new 4,200 seat arena cost $51 million, completed 2 years ago. What are we trying to build? We need at least twice that many seats. Beasley holds 12,000 for basketball, and I am sure that many of you saw it packed during the Raveling, Sampson (at least that Cal game) and Bennett years. When full that place is awesome. We also see it packed during concerts and (my daughter's) graduation.

So what? With declining enrollment, $75 ? million in accumulated athletic deficits not to even mention the Martin stadium debt (2 different things), and an iffy Pac-12 conference future we are going to build a what - $100 million arena? Or $150 million if we are going to raze and replace Beasley?

This is a pie in the sky dream as far as I am concerned. Spend some funds doing some minor improvements if you must, but tearing it down is a mistake, and I also say NO to committing to building an entirely new facility. WSU is not the federal government and cannot just print it's own money in order to pay for it. Construction of an entirely new basketball facility should not be considered until:
1. All existing AD debt is paid off, or
2. Someone very wealthy steps up to fund the entire cost (highly unlikely), or
3. The State of Washington steps up to totally fund it (even more unlikely), or
4. The new facility is funded by using money from the school's endowment (also highly unlikely)

Rational thinking and common sense must prevail.

We definitely still need Beasley or similar capacity. The reason we got Beasley in the first place was because it was a regional performing arts facility. Wasn't the state involved in funding it? Still need a place that holds a bunch for graduation. Having gone to one in Husky Stadium a football stadium is a terrible venue for it.

This is a pie in the sky dream as far as I am concerned. Spend some funds doing some minor improvements if you must, but tearing it down is a mistake, and I also say NO to committing to building an entirely new facility. WSU is not the federal government and cannot just print it's own money in order to pay for it. Construction of an entirely new basketball facility should not be considered until:
1. All existing AD debt is paid off, or
2. Someone very wealthy steps up to fund the entire cost (highly unlikely), or
3. The State of Washington steps up to totally fund it (even more unlikely), or
4. The new facility is funded by using money from the school's endowment (also highly unlikely)

Rational thinking and common sense must prevail.
Kamie talked about a new arena potentially being a couple years away in a pre- or post-game. I thought the same as you. Where is the money coming from?

My understanding is new facilities can now only be funded 100% privately because of the reasons you brought up. Funds can't even come out of the annual athletic budget. I think that's one of the reasons the baseball facilities went to the top of the priority list because private donors stepped up. Maybe the Auburn Powerball winner is a Coug?

Agree, renovate, we dont need a new building

Reactions: acgcoug
100%. Clean it up a bit, locker rooms (home locker room leave the visitors as is), suites in the upper level. Gotta get people to the games. Would rather see them give students dining hall or book store credits for attending games and spend hundreds of thousands vs hundreds of millions. Get the place filled up. Players will care more about that than the fact that the arena is 50 yrs old.

100%. Clean it up a bit, locker rooms (home locker room leave the visitors as is), suites in the upper level. Gotta get people to the games. Would rather see them give students dining hall or book store credits for attending games and spend hundreds of thousands vs hundreds of millions. Get the place filled up. Players will care more about that than the fact that the arena is 50 yrs old.
This is odd. 6 posters so far, and we all agree? Kumbaya.

Reactions: Coug90
My only question on a remodel is still how much? Renovations come with their own set of challenges typically in terms of modernizing it. Would love to hear from poster who have that experience/knowledge to share.

My only question on a remodel is still how much? Renovations come with their own set of challenges typically in terms of modernizing it. Would love to hear from poster who have that experience/knowledge to share.
Yeah, me too. That thing is a big hunk of concrete, sems like you could tear a bunch out on the reserved side and put in suites. The admin and ticket offices are right behind the reserved side, could you punch through and make a lounge area out of it connected to the suites/premium seats? You could blow out part of the outside wall and add a new ticket/admin suite?

Down below, they have they freight entrance where the trucks come in. Seems like you could dig down to the side of that and expand the bowels outward underground.

Regardless of whether we remodel Beasley or build a new basketball complex, it absolutely has to be done. We can't wait on that project.

My vote is to level Beasley and the surrounding parking lot and build a more reasonable sized basketball complex.

Somewhere between $100,000 and $500,000,000 is my guess. See, the very first thing you must do is define the scope of work. Then you work with architects, engineers, and large construction companies to understand what all must be done to accomplish the vision of the completed facility. Then you develop the cost estimate for the project.

Somewhere between $100,000 and $500,000,000 is my guess. See, the very first thing you must do is define the scope of work. Then you work with architects, engineers, and large construction companies to understand what all must be done to accomplish the vision of the completed facility. Then you develop the cost estimate for the project.
Well that narrows it down! Thanks Stretch!

Beasley is a dump. Seats are crammed and uncomfortable. And it is way too big for our basketball teams.

Beasley is a dump. Seats are crammed and uncomfortable. And it is way too big for our basketball teams.
The seats work just fine for me, and I am 6 foot and 190. Plenty comfortable for a 2 hour stay. Especially if I am on my feet cheering for a good part of it.

Rochestie's game winner against ASU on senior night, everyone seemed comfortable. I was there:

I was at McHale 2 years ago and Beasley was it's equal if not better. I pretty much agree with what Coug90 posted yesterday. Suites in the upper bowl, upgraded locker rooms, etc. However, if the cost of replacement is cheaper, equal or even close, I'd go that way.

I personally could go either way but if a remodel is chosen, i want an extensive one. One where you barely recognize the place when you walk in. If we build a new one I would build it in the parking lot then knock down the old one and build a parking garage that would help fix parking problems revolving around football and hopefully make attending basketball much easier.

Reactions: wazzucougs96
I personally could go either way but if a remodel is chosen, i want an extensive one. One where you barely recognize the place when you walk in. If we build a new one I would build it in the parking lot then knock down the old one and build a parking garage that would help fix parking problems revolving around football and hopefully make attending basketball much easier.
That is what they did when the current T-Mobile Park was built. It was built in the parking of the Kingdome along with a parking garage to replace some of the parking lost. Then of course, the Kingdome was torn down and replaced by what is now Lumen Field.

I think right now, all options should be on the table from a minor remodel, to a medium remodel, to a major remodel, to a completely new building. Studies and planning should go into what is the best option.

I remember when the Ackerleys, who owned the Sonics, came to an agreement with the city of Seattle to do a medium renovation of the Seattle Center Coliseum. Soon after, the Ackerley's sold the team to Howard Shulz. Five years after the renovation was complete, Shulz was before the city council wanting a complete remodel or a new arena. The city council told him we just finished remodeling the arena, so the answer is no. Soon after, Shulz sold to the team to out-of-town ownership. A year later, they moved the team.

Personally, I would rather start out thinking big, because if you start thinking small, you end up small. Think the bubble. If you think big, and you have to move off that position, you still end up in a better place.

Some of you need to get out more and see what modern college arenas are like.
Beasley is waaaaay nicer than Arizona State's dump. I can tell you that as of about a month ago.

Still want to get down to Idaho and see their new facility. The wood beams look super cool.

Beasley needs an upgrade for sure. But it's not as big of dump as people make it out to be.

Know any particularly cool ones that might be a good model for WSU?
Idaho and Gonzaga are great places to start. Something of that ilk with a capacity around 8k.

I know everyone pines for the large, 12k crowds of yesteryear, but attendance at Pac 12 basketball across the board just isn't what it used to be.

Idaho and Gonzaga are great places to start. Something of that ilk with a capacity around 8k.

I know everyone pines for the large, 12k crowds of yesteryear, but attendance at Pac 12 basketball across the board just isn't what it used to be.
I respectfully disagree as far as WSU goes. We haven't been good since the Bennett years. If we win they will come. Besides, we need 12K for the other events like graduation. Idaho's pretty but Mickey Mouse place is no place to start. I'm an accountant, not an engineer or architect, but I like 1990's persepective. All options should be on the table. And how about the secret society known as Cougar Athletics start giving us some f-ing transparency on WTF the "plans" are. Chun sucks shit when it comes to communicating.

FWIW I would be ok with an extensive remodel. I am just operating under the assumption that it won't be cost effective.

I respectfully disagree as far as WSU goes. We haven't been good since the Bennett years. If we win they will come. Besides, we need 12K for the other events like graduation. Idaho's pretty but Mickey Mouse place is no place to start. I'm an accountant, not an engineer or architect, but I like 1990's persepective. All options should be on the table. And how about the secret society known as Cougar Athletics start giving us some f-ing transparency on WTF the "plans" are. Chun sucks shit when it comes to communicating.
Communication seems to come down to when they start getting close to having the funds. I'm hoping this means that piece is somehow figured out.

Yup 8 k probably about right. If you could basically take the upper bowl and turn that into a wrap around suite deck, maybe incorporate some WSU basketball history/place to take recruits, meeting/Video rooms etc (like football ops building), hell maybe throw a stadium pub up there with viewing of the game since we’ve experimented with beer in the arena now, I think that would be pretty cool and much more cost effective than a tear down. There’s nothing wrong with the seating or sight lines in the lower bowl. Spruce the place up make it look modern and and some top shelf stuff that drives revenue and looks more attractive to recruits and you’re good to go.

Yup 8 k probably about right. If you could basically take the upper bowl and turn that into a wrap around suite deck, maybe incorporate some WSU basketball history/place to take recruits, meeting/Video rooms etc (like football ops building), hell maybe throw a stadium pub up there with viewing of the game since we’ve experimented with beer in the arena now, I think that would be pretty cool and much more cost effective than a tear down. There’s nothing wrong with the seating or sight lines in the lower bowl. Spruce the place up make it look modern and and some top shelf stuff that drives revenue and looks more attractive to recruits and you’re good to go.
Need to double the width of the concourses and fix/modernize the bathroom situation.

I was at McHale 2 years ago and Beasley was it's equal if not better. I pretty much agree with what Coug90 posted yesterday. Suites in the upper bowl, upgraded locker rooms, etc. However, if the cost of replacement is cheaper, equal or even close, I'd go that way.
i keep hearing about these suites. Just who is going to come and sit in them? They have suites in the Spokane Veterans arena and a few companies buy 'em. There aren't many -- just one -- company in Pullman. How many sit in the Suites for football? The President and his crew and a few fat cats.

i keep hearing about these suites. Just who is going to come and sit in them? They have suites in the Spokane Veterans arena and a few companies buy 'em. There aren't many -- just one -- company in Pullman. How many sit in the Suites for football? The President and his crew and a few fat cats.
I think you’ll be damn near giving them away for a couple of years…price point can’t be that high until you’ve got some juice in the program. But make booze an option and make folks feel special and there’s plenty of millionaire level Cougs out there who would pay extra to be a baller at Beasley for a good bball team.

Or Schweitzer slaps their name on the rebuild and you give them most of the suites.

Reactions: PeteTheChop
Schweitzer no doubt is much more interested in academics than sports. There are lots of Cougar Millionaire's out there but they (a) Don't give much and (b) Don't attend Cougar BB.

Schweitzer no doubt is much more interested in academics than sports. There are lots of Cougar Millionaire's out there but they (a) Don't give much and (b) Don't attend Cougar BB.
Back to the original point, what’s the point of rebuild on Beasley when there’s not the interest in the program there needs to be.

I’m not disagreeing w you by the way you are spot on. It’s a challenge to figure out what to do with Beasley when a decent Coug team can’t get more than 3K in the building.

I feel like they did it right with the FB stadium, and something similar should be done w Beasley if they are setting money aside for it.

I am not for a rebuild on Beasley for Basketball. If the students don't want to attend -- and they don't -- I see no reason to do a thing. They can fix the locker rooms if they want. They can replace some seating if they want.

But the facility seems to me just fine. Holds lots of people if anyone wants to come. I would do a couple of things and the first would be to reduce student seating from what ever the current is to about 50% and sell the rest if there is any demand.

I would also let any WSU student attend for zero cost. No sports pass just let them in for free.

The football suites have been sold out since the moment they were built. Waitlist is decent too, from what I hear.

I am not for a rebuild on Beasley for Basketball. If the students don't want to attend -- and they don't -- I see no reason to do a thing. They can fix the locker rooms if they want. They can replace some seating if they want.

But the facility seems to me just fine. Holds lots of people if anyone wants to come. I would do a couple of things and the first would be to reduce student seating from what ever the current is to about 50% and sell the rest if there is any demand.

I would also let any WSU student attend for zero cost. No sports pass just let them in for free.
I’d go a step further and give them credits to the dining hall or book store for showing up…at least for some games, try and get some juice in the building and get them in the habit of going to games. That’s got to be a priority. Once it’s a fun atmosphere with lots of people going nuts and the team responding then you can sell the vision. The reason I pay to go to games is for the atmosphere and to be a part of it. If that doesn’t exist I might as well watch my HD big screen from my couch.

I’d go a step further and give them credits to the dining hall or book store for showing up…at least for some games, try and get some juice in the building and get them in the habit of going to games. That’s got to be a priority. Once it’s a fun atmosphere with lots of people going nuts and the team responding then you can sell the vision. The reason I pay to go to games is for the atmosphere and to be a part of it. If that doesn’t exist I might as well watch my HD big screen from my couch.
Exactly! We have a solid product on the court. Do whatever it takes, free tickets, incentives ect to get people there and then make it an event. Once we have a fun atmosphere to go along with a winning team people will mark game day on the calendar and be excited to go. Imo

we should never have started charging in the first place

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT