ADVERTISEMENT

Cam Ward bidding war thread

Wards problems largely disappear behind a good oline with NFL receivers to throw to.
I would argue Ward's problems would increase with the tighter throwing windows and quicker decision-making in the NFL. He will have a couple of year career as a backup or practice squad player.
Living outside the NW, I had not heard any of these large NIL rumors coming Ward's way. Lot's of QB's moving in the transfer portal. I will be shocked if Ward gets any real major program interest.

I really can't wait to see the Mutts traveling to and playing in those huge Big-10 stadiums in November and December. Them walking out onto the field in front of 100,000+ insane fans with cold rain, howling winds and blowing snow is going to be a real ongoing issue for a "finesse" program like theirs. You just can't simulate those conditions in practice...

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
As the top-rated QB in the portal, Ward's decision will impact other quarterbacks who are currently uncommitted

I wonder what all these top paid coaching staffs at these storied winning programs see in Ward that Biggs can’t see?

Weird, isn’t it?

As the top-rated QB in the portal, Ward's decision will impact other quarterbacks who are currently uncommitted

I wonder what all these top paid coaching staffs at these storied winning programs see in Ward that Biggs can’t see?

Weird, isn’t it?
Realistically, those top paid coaching staffs are at least a bit desperate. Their top pay is contingent upon reloading, rather than rebuilding. Cam has a lot to like, but he is far, far from the top QB in FBS football next season. He is, however, among the top QB's available through the portal. Reality is somewhere between the extremes.

Reactions: ATACFD
I read the article as claiming Cam is the best QB currently available in the portal not that he’s the best QB in football next year even though he was #5 in the NCAA this season behind our thin line and with Victor banged up half the year.

I just find it interesting to follow.

I would argue Ward's problems would increase with the tighter throwing windows and quicker decision-making in the NFL. He will have a couple of year career as a backup or practice squad player.
Living outside the NW, I had not heard any of these large NIL rumors coming Ward's way. Lot's of QB's moving in the transfer portal. I will be shocked if Ward gets any real major program interest.
I think his sidearm sling will be a huge liability in the NFL. Defensive lines will feast on that.

So, Pete Thamel says Miami and FSU are the top locations for CW, but apparently he "has a high asking price."

Will greed get the better of CW and have him end up holding the (empty) bag? I was hoping to see someone get bit in the ass for ovwr-valuing themselves, but I didn't think it would be CW.

Time will tell...

I’m told he turned down $2 m guaranteed.

Oh Daddy, what have you done?
Well, the other side of NIL - sooner or later - was going to be a kid who overvalued himself, turned down an offer thinking he could get more, and then ended up with a fraction of the offer he rejected. It’s the new version of believing you’re a 2nd round pick when you’re actually UDFA.

Maybe Ward gets to be the poster boy. Maybe FSU fills their opening with their 2nd choice and Ward is left without a chair. Theres some poetry in that, and if he came crawling back, I’d be in favor of saying no.

Does that annoy you as much as it does me? I diligently ty to link news articles or whatever to document whatever BS I'm spewing out. "I'm told" does not cut is for me. But that is what we get a lot around here.
I don’t give two shits what cuts it for you.

Ward ****ed up. Got greedy, allegedly, and UW tweeted out Welcome to their plan B from MSU.

One of the substitute Amazon guys that delivers to my buddies neighborhood sometimes, has a neighbor who delivers for Fed Ex that knows a guy who spoke with Ward’s ex- roommate at Incarnate Word at a Starbucks in Salt Lake City.
In other words, you are full of it

I don’t give two shits what cuts it for you.

Ward ****ed up. Got greedy, allegedly, and UW tweeted out Welcome to their plan B from MSU.
Uber, why do you have to continuously be such a F? What is your G-D problem? Gawd, either engage the folks on the board with intelligent conversation or go away.

Ward is definitely on the high end asking price. Still will easily find a home if he wants it, just maybe a little trim of pay off the top. I think if he was smarter about the situation, he goes to UW or somewhere that can develop a QB. Not just pay the most money. But hey, he should do what he wants.

Reactions: UberCougars
It sounds like he is down to FSU and Miami, at least that is the two most recent and only visits. He should pick the offense that best fits his skill set and with a solid O line quality receivers and backs. If his main focus is money, it doesn't work out well, in football or life.

It sounds like he is down to FSU and Miami, at least that is the two most recent and only visits. He should pick the offense that best fits his skill set and with a solid O line quality receivers and backs. If his main focus is money, it doesn't work out well, in football or life.
I'm telling you, this NIL thing is just out of control and will be the death of College Athletics, particularly football. NCAA has f-ed this up so bad. Modest stipends, fine. Million dollar bidding wars, not so much. I just can't wrap my arms around why these boosters would fork over so much money to win a few FB games. Granted I'm not a billionaire, but WTF?

Reactions: ATACFD
I'm telling you, this NIL thing is just out of control and will be the death of College Athletics, particularly football. NCAA has f-ed this up so bad. Modest stipends, fine. Million dollar bidding wars, not so much. I just can't wrap my arms around why these boosters would fork over so much money to win a few FB games. Granted I'm not a billionaire, but WTF?
Cause they have nothing else to give their money to that enriches them .

Oh it will come under control when these folks stop spending money like drunk sailors and not get their pot of gold.

Texas A and M just paid 25 mil for a recruiting class. Then dropped another 77 mil for Jimbo Fisher to be fishing off the shores of Cancun .

Trust me when Alabama starts bitching because they don’t have the resources of A and M, USC and UW, and they start buying players there will be change .

Just to put a little more fuel on the fire... I'm more on the F*ck Cam Ward train than appreciating his time at WSU.

I really don't give him near the Cougar respect of Gordon, Brink, Hilinski... even De Laura.

What was the amazing thing he did? What is it we are going to remember?

List Cougar QB's and what they ever did... Seriously.

Go punch a bag of poo Ward.

Just to put a little more fuel on the fire... I'm more on the F*ck Cam Ward train than appreciating his time at WSU.

I really don't give him near the Cougar respect of Gordon, Brink, Hilinski... even De Laura.

Seems like underserved vitriol. Especially placing him behind JDL - a guy who, by all credible accounts, quit on his team...not just at halftime of a bowl game, but then immediately afterward for "riches".

Ward played every game, perhaps not to the execution level of our hopes, but he was professional, competed hard (albeit not always smart) and he didn't place any blame on anyone else.

Unjustified opinion to me. That's all I have to say about that.

Reactions: spongeandshoot

Beat Wisconsin 2 years in a row.

Beat Wisconsin 2 years in a row.
Fair... but you're telling me that's what you are going to REMEMBER about him?

I will remember De Laura sticking the flag on the fuskies excuse for a soul.

I remember Brink for the Apple Cups too.

I remember Hilinski for saving us against Boise State and keeping our National Media attention.

The 2 things I will remember about Cam Ward were his horrific scrambles only to be outdone by when he should've scrambled and for getting the most money we've ever given for a mid Pac QB

Reactions: justinbgocougs

Couple problems for me with this. I never saw an effort or character issue with Cam. Were there some flaws in his game, sure. But all indications are he brought his lunch pail and left everything on the field, was a good teammate, and didn’t cause any trouble.

As for him leaving, he’s set to get $2M to somewhere as a grad transfer within the rules. He’s not getting anything close to that if he stays, why would you hold it against a 21 year old kid to get paid and will set him up well for at least the start of his life? He could get hit and suffer a career ending injury at any moment. He wasn’t perfect as a player and plenty of ups and downs but he gave his team everything he had and quite frankly he doesn’t owe WSU shit.

Cool thing about sports and college sports in particular is you never know what kind of talent you have waiting in the wings, and we’ve seen that with Minshew and Gordon. I’m excited for Mateer to get his chance, I think he could be one of those Coug legends in the making.

Couple problems for me with this. I never saw an effort or character issue with Cam. Were there some flaws in his game, sure. But all indications are he brought his lunch pail and left everything on the field, was a good teammate, and didn’t cause any trouble.

As for him leaving, he’s set to get $2M to somewhere as a grad transfer within the rules. He’s not getting anything close to that if he stays, why would you hold it against a 21 year old kid to get paid and will set him up well for at least the start of his life? He could get hit and suffer a career ending injury at any moment. He wasn’t perfect as a player and plenty of ups and downs but he gave his team everything he had and quite frankly he doesn’t owe WSU shit.

Cool thing about sports and college sports in particular is you never know what kind of talent you have waiting in the wings, and we’ve seen that with Minshew and Gordon. I’m excited for Mateer to get his chance, I think he could be one of those Coug legends in the making.
You think he produced enough in relation to what we paid?

Totally your call.

I don't.

You think he's going to be remembered as a WSU great?

I don't.

I could be wrong.

Reactions: justinbgocougs
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT