ADVERTISEMENT

Cam Ward bidding war thread

I agree with Cougini.

Never really wow'ed me, no significant memory comes to mind when I think of Ward, just kind of a giant "shrug" Quarterback, not bad but not great.

Reactions: Cougini5591
Fair... but you're telling me that's what you are going to REMEMBER about him?

I will remember De Laura sticking the flag on the fuskies excuse for a soul.

I remember Brink for the Apple Cups too.

I remember Hilinski for saving us against Boise State and keeping our National Media attention.

The 2 things I will remember about Cam Ward were his horrific scrambles only to be outdone by when he should've scrambled and for getting the most money we've ever given for a mid Pac QB
One source rates team productivity vs opponent productivity on offense along with other metrics like defensive stops on 3rd, TO’s etc. WSU vs Cal was the second least likely win (Cal) due to team production vs final result this year in P5. Guess what made the loss? Two fumbles for TDs by Ward.

He oozes talent but negates it with tons of mistakes. That’s why he’s foolish to go to Mario Cristobal’s team to learn to be a QB. Too bad.

You think he produced enough in relation to what we paid?

Totally your call.

I don't.

You think he's going to be remembered as a WSU great?

I don't.

I could be wrong.
*ahem*

How much exactly did YOU pay CW to play at WSU?

As far as I know, a dealership lent him a car for his time at WSU, he had housing taken care of and he had to do some appearances in exchange for $50k, and as far as I know what was total for both years he was in Pullman. Total comp ~ $90k, so $45k a year.

In the football world he's a steal, plain and simple. He has the tools and skills to produce wins. Unfortunately WSU does not have the players to maximize his potential. Unless something changes, it'll be the same for Mateer. Different look, same result.

Reactions: COUGinNCW
*ahem*

How much exactly did YOU pay CW to play at WSU?

As far as I know, a dealership lent him a car for his time at WSU, he had housing taken care of and he had to do some appearances in exchange for $50k, and as far as I know what was total for both years he was in Pullman. Total comp ~ $90k, so $45k a year.

In the football world he's a steal, plain and simple. He has the tools and skills to produce wins. Unfortunately WSU does not have the players to maximize his potential. Unless something changes, it'll be the same for Mateer. Different look, same result.
Well... if you want it...

I donate monthly to Cougar Collective.

I donate monthly and annually to CAF.

I buy Season Tickets.

I miss a maximum of 1 home game a year.

I buy enough WSU Cougar gifts to have Crimson in shortage.

Does 100% of money go to WSU QB's? No.

But can I declare that I think Cam Ward wasn't the 2nd coming of Minshewrama and we could've done better.

Reactions: spongeandshoot
You think he produced enough in relation to what we paid?

Totally your call.

I don't.

You think he's going to be remembered as a WSU great?

I don't.

I could be wrong.
As for first ? It’s hard to say, we really don’t know what the alternative was. Cam was inconsistent. Part of the problem with guys like that is you could bench him the day he’s gonna go off. He tore up a good defense in OSU and crapped himself against Furd.

In the context of this, I don’t care if he’s remembered as a WSU great. It’s probably not that important to him either or he would have stayed and taken less $. There’s plenty of guys in Cougar history who I appreciate but aren’t considered WSU greats. If you’ve put the uniform on and gone about your business the right way whether you played here a year or 5 years you deserve respect. I’ve brought this up before during Wulff bashings. Dude didn’t go out as a coach with class but blood sweat and tears for the program as a player deserves respect. Being a student athlete is hard AF. I appreciate Cam for his efforts for the program and wish him well. He’s got a long way to go to be a legit pro, but I’ll be rooting for him. If he ended up at UW he can F himself.

He was our first Hired Gun!

For this reason, I suspect we’ll always remember him.

If someone wants to pay him a ridiculous amount of NIL, great for Cam, IMO.

I’m looking forward to Mateer

Reactions: Wazzubrooz
As for first ? It’s hard to say, we really don’t know what the alternative was. Cam was inconsistent. Part of the problem with guys like that is you could bench him the day he’s gonna go off. He tore up a good defense in OSU and crapped himself against Furd.

In the context of this, I don’t care if he’s remembered as a WSU great. It’s probably not that important to him either or he would have stayed and taken less $. There’s plenty of guys in Cougar history who I appreciate but aren’t considered WSU greats. If you’ve put the uniform on and gone about your business the right way whether you played here a year or 5 years you deserve respect. I’ve brought this up before during Wulff bashings. Dude didn’t go out as a coach with class but blood sweat and tears for the program as a player deserves respect. Being a student athlete is hard AF. I appreciate Cam for his efforts for the program and wish him well. He’s got a long way to go to be a legit pro, but I’ll be rooting for him. If he ended up at UW he can F himself.
Fair

Couple problems for me with this. I never saw an effort or character issue with Cam. Were there some flaws in his game, sure. But all indications are he brought his lunch pail and left everything on the field, was a good teammate, and didn’t cause any trouble.

As for him leaving, he’s set to get $2M to somewhere as a grad transfer within the rules. He’s not getting anything close to that if he stays, why would you hold it against a 21 year old kid to get paid and will set him up well for at least the start of his life? He could get hit and suffer a career ending injury at any moment. He wasn’t perfect as a player and plenty of ups and downs but he gave his team everything he had and quite frankly he doesn’t owe WSU shit.

Cool thing about sports and college sports in particular is you never know what kind of talent you have waiting in the wings, and we’ve seen that with Minshew and Gordon. I’m excited for Mateer to get his chance, I think he could be one of those Coug legends in the making.
Even if it’s half of the purported $2 million, it sets him up for life if he pays the taxes, invests the rest and doesn’t touch it for ten years.

Couple problems for me with this. I never saw an effort or character issue with Cam. Were there some flaws in his game, sure. But all indications are he brought his lunch pail and left everything on the field, was a good teammate, and didn’t cause any trouble.

As for him leaving, he’s set to get $2M to somewhere as a grad transfer within the rules. He’s not getting anything close to that if he stays, why would you hold it against a 21 year old kid to get paid and will set him up well for at least the start of his life? He could get hit and suffer a career ending injury at any moment. He wasn’t perfect as a player and plenty of ups and downs but he gave his team everything he had and quite frankly he doesn’t owe WSU shit.

Cool thing about sports and college sports in particular is you never know what kind of talent you have waiting in the wings, and we’ve seen that with Minshew and Gordon. I’m excited for Mateer to get his chance, I think he could be one of those Coug legends in the making.

I'm not a Cam Ward fan and was ready to see him go, but he never did anything to embarrass off the field and he seemed like a good kid. JDL is clearly a guy who doesn't deserve our respect if you want to be disappointed in a former WSU QB.

I agree with Cougini.

Never really wow'ed me, no significant memory comes to mind when I think of Ward, just kind of a giant "shrug" Quarterback, not bad but not great.
He wowed me against Oregon State. One of the best QB performances I’ve ever seen in Martin Stadium in my 40 years attending.

Reactions: COUGinNCW
He wowed me against Oregon State. One of the best QB performances I’ve ever seen in Martin Stadium in my 40 years attending.

The Oregon State game was a great game for him. That said, the offense was not great in the second half and it ended up being a win over a mid-tier team that lost four conference games.

Sadly for Cam, he will be remembered for 20 yard sacks and being the QB who broke our run of bowl appearances during non-Covid seasons. And that does fall on him. He personally gifted the game to Cal with fumbles and a pick. Also, I was in attendance at the Stanford game and that was one of the worst offense performances I've ever seen and it was even worse given that Stanford went 1-7 against the rest of the Pac-12 and lost to freaking Sacramento State. That Stanford loss wasn't all Cam....but when you are the QB in a game like that...congrats....you get the blame. Any QB that deserves to be remembered fondly wins those games.

You're kidding me right?

Best QB performances in 40 years when we've 700+ yards... 60+ point performances... Minshew taking us to Game Day Hall of Fame...

That Oregon State game was pretty awesome, but no way does that go into Roman/Greek god-like game performances.

If anything I was more impressed with the play calls... which then seemed to go into stupid land

Ward won’t - and shouldn’t - be remembered for anything done on the field. There’s been nothing particularly noteworthy in his play, no signature wins or miracle finishes. Just another QB.

As for comparisons - he’s nowhere near the greats (Leaf, Bledsoe, Gesser) or even the second tier (Brink, Falk). I’d place him in the “if only” group - the ones who could have been great if only their mental abilities matched their physical skills. He lands there with guys like Garcia and Halliday.

The Wisconsin game this year was one of the most memorable games I’ve ever experienced in Pullman.

Feel free to block it out as if it never happened if that helps you cope.

The Wisconsin game this year was one of the most memorable games I’ve ever experienced in Pullman.

Feel free to block it out as if it never happened if that helps you cope.
i was at that game it was a fun day all around. Let’s be honest though Ward didn’t light it up either of the Wisky wins. Last year was 100% credit to the D. This year you had BJack/Stone taking over, key turnovers. Offense had some drives but long stretches of doing nothing almost lost us the game. Without that 4th quarter fumble we lose. Those were fun wins but I’ll remember Henley, Bjack, Stone for these wins, not Ward.

Seems like underserved vitriol. Especially placing him behind JDL - a guy who, by all credible accounts, quit on his team...not just at halftime of a bowl game, but then immediately afterward for "riches".

Ward played every game, perhaps not to the execution level of our hopes, but he was professional, competed hard (albeit not always smart) and he didn't place any blame on anyone else.

Unjustified opinion to me. That's all I have to say about that.

I agree.

Ward is a good kid and I'll be cheering for him.

I honestly think a lot of it is coaching. I would like to see what he can do with good coaching

Biggest Non-Conference game in WSU history.

WSU was heavy underdog at home

SRO capacity.

Perfect Pullman fall weather.

Then, this happened:

• 2nd & 10 at WIS 47​

(6:59 - 1st) Cameron Ward pass complete to Kyle Williams for 38 yds to the WIS 9 for a 1ST down
  • 1st & Goal at WIS 9​

(6:00 - 1st) Cameron Ward run for 7 yds to the WIS 2
  • 2nd & Goal at WIS 2​

(5:45 - 1st) Nakia Watson run for a loss of 2 yards to the WIS 4
  • 3rd & Goal at WIS 4​

(5:34 - 1st) Cameron Ward pass complete to Kyle Williams for 4 yds for a TD (Dean Janikowski KICK)
Remember?

I’ll never forget Ward and how he performed against Wisconsin to take charge of that game.

Reactions: kougkurt

SRO capacity.

Then, this happened:

• 2nd & 10 at WIS 47​

(6:59 - 1st) Cameron Ward pass complete to Kyle Williams for 38 yds to the WIS 9 for a 1ST down
  • 1st & Goal at WIS 9​

• 2nd & Goal at WIS 2​

• 3rd & Goal at WIS 4​

(5:34 - 1st) Cameron Ward pass complete to Kyle Williams for 4 yds for a TD (Dean Janikowski KICK)
Remember?

I’ll never forget Ward and how he performed against Wisconsin to take charge of that game.
Corralling Watson’s fumble in that game was a big play too.

Haters will hate.

Corralling Watson’s fumble in that game was a big play too.

Haters will hate.
Why does this have to be about hating. He was fine in that game, not bad not amazing. We won because of 3 turnovers. RS/BJ sack strip recover x2. One for a score. We scored 25 points offensively. We had a long stretch in the second half of doing nothing. It wasn’t some legendary performance. CJ and Leaf in the AC. Legendary. Minshew against Oregon in the CGD game. Legendary. Brink in the 2006 cup. Legendary. Bledsoe/Wright fair in the 92 AC. Legendary. Palouse posse. Legendary. Ward…eh. Sorry, but if you are putting him up there on cougar Mount Rushmore you have a limited memory.

SRO capacity.

Then, this happened:

• 2nd & 10 at WIS 47​

• 1st & Goal at WIS 9​

• 2nd & Goal at WIS 2​

• 3rd & Goal at WIS 4​

Remember?

Curious. In the game I remember, we were a 5 point underdog. We played pretty well for most of the first half, and basically disappeared offensively in the second - which was pretty much Ward’s trend against opponents with a pulse.

Checking the box score confirms, 70% of our offense was in the first 22 minutes. 5 of our 6 punts (including 4 3 & outs) were after that.

Nah. Just a non conference game vs a middling Big 10 team

The Throwin’ Samoan going into Lincoln and taking down Nebraska way bigger.
No, sorry. That game was in Lincoln.

This was the biggest non conference game played IN PULLMAN, ever.

BIG 10 is one of two elite power conferences in football.

Full Share

100,000 fans every week.

Ranked 19th in the country.

WSU behind Wards leadership at QB, beat them.

To denigrate this performance because you’re mad at Ward is just silly.

In MY opinion. You obviously feel differently. That’s 👍 too.

Last edited:
Why does this have to be about hating. He was fine in that game, not bad not amazing. We won because of 3 turnovers. RS/BJ sack strip recover x2. One for a score. We scored 25 points offensively. We had a long stretch in the second half of doing nothing. It wasn’t some legendary performance. CJ and Leaf in the AC. Legendary. Minshew against Oregon in the CGD game. Legendary. Brink in the 2006 cup. Legendary. Bledsoe/Wright fair in the 92 AC. Legendary. Palouse posse. Legendary. Ward…eh. Sorry, but if you are putting him up there on cougar Mount Rushmore you have a limited memory.
Brink lost the 2006 AC costing the Cougs a bowl birth. Maybe his performances weren't so legendary.

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN
Brink lost the 2006 AC costing the Cougs a bowl birth. Maybe his performances weren't so legendary.

Brink's failures to make bowl games are why he doesn't deserve to be in the conversation of the Top 5 WSU QBs.

For those that are talking about how epic the Wisconsin was.....damn...don't hurt yourself reaching. It was great to beat a former Big 10 power at home in Pullman but if they lose to LSU (and they are 10 point underdogs), they will finish 7-6 for the second straight season. Not exactly an EPIC foe to have vanquished. It's fair to say that it's our biggest Power 5 non-conference win in Pullman but that's also like Iowa State saying that the 2020 Iowa State team was the greatest in school history. Nobody else noticed or cared.

Reactions: Coug90
No, sorry. That game was in Lincoln.

This was the biggest non conference game played IN PULLMAN, ever.

BIG 10 is one of two elite power conferences in football.

Full Share

100,000 fans every week.

Ranked 19th in the country.

WSU behind Wards leadership at QB, beat them.

To denigrate this performance because you’re mad at Ward is just silly.

In MY opinion. You obviously feel differently. That’s 👍 too.
I don’t think anyone’s denigrating the performance because they are mad at Ward. You’re reading way too much into this. Look at 95s post. I didn’t care to look up the details but remember the game. Offense played well in the first half, went dormant in the second half and the three and outs put a lot of pressure on our defense. If not for that last fumble forced, we likely lose by 1000 paper cuts. It was a solid team performance all around and a good win. I’ve seen great QB performances, that wasn’t one of them. When you go 3 and out several times in a row allowing a team to gain control and momentum, there’s nothing great about that. We won. He played pretty well. The defense was awesome. That’s the truth about that game.

I don’t think anyone’s denigrating the performance because they are mad at Ward. You’re reading way too much into this. Look at 95s post. I didn’t care to look up the details but remember the game. Offense played well in the first half, went dormant in the second half and the three and outs put a lot of pressure on our defense. If not for that last fumble forced, we likely lose by 1000 paper cuts. It was a solid team performance all around and a good win. I’ve seen great QB performances, that wasn’t one of them. When you go 3 and out several times in a row allowing a team to gain control and momentum, there’s nothing great about that. We won. He played pretty well. The defense was awesome. That’s the truth about that game.
Cougar football also goes back more than recent years. To make proclamations that something is the greatest/most important ever is disrespectful to the all time greats like Jack Thompson

And, no, Cam Ward doesn’t deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as guys like Thompson, Leaf, Gesser, Bledsoe and Minshew. He just doesn’t.

Yes, Cougar football goes back a long ways.

WSU has never hosted a bigger Non-conference opponent in Pullman in its entire history, than when we hosted Wisconsin.

If you can point out a bigger non-conference game in Pullman, go for it!

(Bringing disrespect to Jack Thompson?? 🙄 )

Last edited:
9/20

18/40

“How many times has WSU earned 6 or more season wins in the past 20 years? In the past 40 years.”

23/40 if you want to consider 5 season wins or more.

WSU has never hosted a bigger Non-conference opponent in Pullman in its entire history, than when we hosted Wisconsin.

As I said above, rating the "epicness" of the Wisconsin visit to Pullman is like Iowa State bragging about their 2020 season where they finished 9-3 with a Fiesta Bowl win over 4-3 Oregon. It was kind of cool but nobody else was impressed or cared. If anything, bragging it up is a bit embarrassing.

You take this to the reddit college football page and see how many, "Cool story, Bro" comments you get. (Please don't...it would only hurt WSU)

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding what some of the MEGA-Cam supporters are trying to say.

My whole stance on this was measuring what Cougar QB's have done on the field.

This concept of biggest non-conference win just doesn't flow for me at all.

When we have beaten Top 10 teams at WSU that were in the Pac... this Wisconsin game to me is more like a middle range Stanford.

Cam was good at times, but also crapola. Maybe he would've blown up as a senior / 3rd year like Rosenbach... Bledsoe... Leaf... but I would seriously doubt it.

Let just mesure back 40 years in Cougar QB's... where do you rank him? When would he have started?

During the Wulff years? Yes... although Jeff Tuel was better than a lot of people give him credit for. I think Tuel would've blown it up with 1 more year under Leach.

Ward would not have been the man 2013-2021.

That "blip" in 2004 = yes.

2003 = Kegel

2000-2022 = Gesser

1998/1999 = yes.

1995-1997 = Leaf

1994? Sure.

1993? Not for 6 games.

1990-1992 = Bledsoe

1989 = Goose

1987-1988 = Rosenbach

1986 = yes... but Blount was unique

1984-85 = Rypien

Could drag this out, but I'm still giving Ward a 5.5-6 out of 10 on the Cougar QB measurements.

As I said above, rating the "epicness" of the Wisconsin visit to Pullman is like Iowa State bragging about their 2020 season where they finished 9-3 with a Fiesta Bowl win over 4-3 Oregon. It was kind of cool but nobody else was impressed or cared. If anything, bragging it up is a bit embarrassing.

You take this to the reddit college football page and see how many, "Cool story, Bro" comments you get. (Please don't...it would only hurt WS

You take this to the reddit college football page and see how many, "Cool story, Bro" comments you get. (Please don't...it would only hurt WSU)

Pretty condescending don’t you think?

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding what some of the MEGA-Cam supporters are trying to say.

My whole stance on this was measuring what Cougar QB's have done on the field.

This concept of biggest non-conference win just doesn't flow for me at all.

When we have beaten Top 10 teams at WSU that were in the Pac... this Wisconsin game to me is more like a middle range Stanford.

Cam was good at times, but also crapola. Maybe he would've blown up as a senior / 3rd year like Rosenbach... Bledsoe... Leaf... but I would seriously doubt it.

Let just mesure back 40 years in Cougar QB's... where do you rank him? When would he have started?

During the Wulff years? Yes... although Jeff Tuel was better than a lot of people give him credit for. I think Tuel would've blown it up with 1 more year under Leach.

Ward would not have been the man 2013-2021.

That "blip" in 2004 = yes.

2003 = Kegel

2000-2022 = Gesser

1998/1999 = yes.

1995-1997 = Leaf

1994? Sure.

1993? Not for 6 games.

1990-1992 = Bledsoe

1989 = Goose

1987-1988 = Rosenbach

1986 = yes... but Blount was unique

1984-85 = Rypien

Could drag this out, but I'm still giving Ward a 5.5-6 out of 10 on the Cougar QB measurements.
I have never ranked Cam Ward among Cougar QB’s as I find it irrelevant.

I have focused on one main point, his NIL value in the current marketplace.

Here’s another indisputable fact:

Cam Ward appears to have higher NIL value than ANY WSU QB in history, regardless of how his game performances tickle your memory bank compared with all the rest.

Pretty condescending don’t you think?

Yeah...it is. It's babysh!t compared to the beatdown that this discussion would get on a non-WSU football board. Boise State has beaten 8-5 WSU, 7-6 UW, 10-3 Oregon, 10-4 Oregon State, and 7-5 Oregon State on the smurf turf since 2003. They also beat both 10-4 Georgia in 2011 and 11-3 Virginia Tech in 2010 at neutral sites in regular season OOC games.

Hell, Fresno State has hosted Minnesota, Utah, Nebraska, Rutgers, Colorado, Mississippi and Cal since 2010. Lost most of them...but hosted them.

Acting like beating 7-6 Wisconsin in Pullman is amazing is just a poor reflection of how sh!tty our situation has been. So yeah, it may sound condescending...but let's not pretend that it deserves anything but that. Trust me, you would regret taking this to reddit.

not a reddit expert. I don’t follow it. I don’t care.

I find it hilarious and embarrassing for you to contort what I’ve posted into what I didn’t so you can ignore the indisputable truth that Wisconsin is the most prominent non-conference football team to ever visit Pullman.

Of course, you could simply offer up a bigger non- conference game and hold the insults for your “conversations” on Reddit.

not a reddit expert. I don’t follow it. I don’t care.

I find it hilarious and embarrassing for you to contort what I’ve posted into what I didn’t so you can ignore the indisputable truth that Wisconsin is the most prominent non-conference football team to ever visit Pullman.

Of course, you could simply offer up a bigger non- conference game and hold the insults for your “conversations” on Reddit.

It was cool that we got Wisconsin to come to Pullman but I guarantee that you'll find that no other Power 5 school has only two Power 5 OOC visits in the past 25+ years. Oregon State is close with only three...but like us, they are on the outside looking in. I wonder if their support of Mannion is based on their win over 8-6 Wisconsin in 2012?

KSU has hosted nine Power 5 OOC teams in the time that we've hosted two...including Auburn, Mississippi State and USC. BTW, they beat USC in 2002 in Manhattan two weeks before the Cougs beat them in Pullman. You want to brag up a Power 5 home win.....Beating the eventual #5 Trojans is a win that moves the needle for people.

You aren't wrong that the Wisconsin game is our best OOC home win in a long time...but again, that is nothing to brag about. Let's not pretend that beating the sixth best team in the Big 10 was a monumental, career defining achievement.

Once in a lifetime appearance occurs at WSU

ABC national prime time game. We WIN! 🎉

Fans reaction 4 months later as we await watching that team play on New Years Day, “No big deal”

Got it, Thanks!

I’ll bite on this one…Bigger NC? No, but memorable, for sure.

Some of you will tear me a new one here cuz you hate BSU, but the Hilinski led BSU comeback is far more memorable and epic performance than Ward/Wisconsin. And considering where Wisconsin has finished the last couple of years I’d say just as big of a NC win (Like it or not BSU was the Gonzaga of CFB when we beat them. Small conference but well respected program and played anyone OOC).

This has nothing to do with Hillinskis passing either (RIP 3)…this was just an epic and memorable win against a tough NC opponent in Pullman.

I’ll bite on this one…Bigger NC? No, but memorable, for sure.

Some of you will tear me a new one here cuz you hate BSU, but the Hilinski led BSU comeback is far more memorable and epic performance than Ward/Wisconsin. And considering where Wisconsin has finished the last couple of years I’d say just as big of a NC win (Like it or not BSU was the Gonzaga of CFB when we beat them. Small conference but well respected program and played anyone OOC).

This has nothing to do with Hillinskis passing either (RIP 3)…this was just an epic and memorable win against a tough NC opponent in Pullman.
That comeback against smurf turf JC was awesome! We should've kicked their ass though.

Reactions: Coug90
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT