ADVERTISEMENT

CDC new MASKLESS update

Still no one has answered the question on assuming the vaccine works, what difference does it make if they are sitting next to an unvaccinated person?

The vaccine works, right? And if it doesn't work, then even sitting next to another vaccinated person would have risk.

Can 4 year olds take the vaccine? And shouldn't that be the parents decisions whether to assume the risk of killing their own kid in Martin Stadium? Or anywhere else for that matter?
I’ll take the bait.
I wouldn’t be concerned at all if the person next to me wasn’t vaccinated. I’d wonder what their Hang up is but that’s another story. I would be concerned if I was WSU. Say it was a free for all and WSU ends up with a stadium 50% full of non vaccers. Spread risk is lower outside but between the field house, the bathrooms, shouting in close proximity it could be a super spreader event and next thing you know I have to watch the rest of the games in my basement when fans aren’t allowed like last year (which has its advantages but I digress).

And outside of my selfish interests for my kids to be able to play sports and me to swill beers at Martin Stadium there is no possible way to know what Covid will mutate to and possibly hangs around for decades.
We’re close to the finish line. Imagine a boxer that is clearly superior but let’s his opponent hang around the whole fight and gets in a lucky shot at the end. It’s time to stop dancing and knock Covid out.

Still no one has answered the question on assuming the vaccine works, what difference does it make if they are sitting next to an unvaccinated person?

The vaccine works, right? And if it doesn't work, then even sitting next to another vaccinated person would have risk.

Can 4 year olds take the vaccine? And shouldn't that be the parents decisions whether to assume the risk of killing their own kid in Martin Stadium? Or anywhere else for that matter?
11 I thought the question was answered and since you used the 4 year old example I may guess part of that question is designed for me.

Think of the vaccine like a condom . It is supposed to work . Every once in awhile you get a failed one . So yes the person next to me who isn’t vaccinated should not be able to transfer the deadly part of the virus to me . But then again I am not worrying about me.

Now there are considerations for the school. Can you as a non vaccinated person tell me when you use the bathroom at the same time as a college student that you will not be transmitting a morphed part of the virus that could spread throughout campus and shut down the university again ? I would suspect like the case with the condom yeah it is pretty reliable but if you want to guarantee no one gets pregnant don’t have sex.

There are more than just the students but the locals . I would bet they prefer that we knock out the virus so they have clients (ie the students) to sell to and not have to school remotely . Everyone getting the virus knock it out.

And because it is a disease things change ... the nature of a disease . You can’t put COVID in a nice black and white box and get answers that sometimes don’t conflict .

In terms of the four year old , it isn’t just her 11, it is any kid or person that has some immune problems . Your answer is tough sh!t, you just can’t go to the games. And it isnt just just one person, it is a lot .

So a question you did not answer , can you give me reassurance that you or others who choose not to get vaccinated won’t bring to the game a variant / morphed virus that affects other than the old and compromised people? And how best can we get to a situation where we don’t have that worry?

Getting the vaccine for me is like me paying property taxes when I don’t have kids using the school district. That isn’t “fair”, but I gladly pay so my community is better off.

Finally I have said it for years ... state of Washington should be two states or eastern Washington should merge with Idaho . What is good for the driving county of king doesn’t necessarily translate into what is best for Whitman or Spokane or counties between . If WSU chooses to mandate you have the vaccine to attend a game , it would have the support of the majority of the student population. And it would have the support of Inslee and other people of power . Being in the minority in terms of votes can suck .

And if you decide to boycott, or is it cancel culture the games , WSU will simply have less revenue but they have made it before . They will have to do it again.

Last edited:
Reactions: longtimecoug
If they want to alienate 50% of their fanbase, sure. Go for it.
What an utter slam on WSU! If 50% of WSU alums are in the anti-vax column, the school is truly the absolute bottom rung of higher education, if you think about it. It would deserve to have its doors shut as a complete waste of space, having demonstrated itself to have failed miserably in its mission to educate, to develop intellect and eradicate magical thinking. Considering there isn't a sound or rational reason not to step up and do one's part -- none, zero (no, afraid of being implanted with Nano technology is neither sound or rational. nor is because Q said so), WSU will certainly lead the West Coast in having the fewest luddites in its midst.

I’ll take the bait.
I wouldn’t be concerned at all if the person next to me wasn’t vaccinated. I’d wonder what their Hang up is but that’s another story. I would be concerned if I was WSU. Say it was a free for all and WSU ends up with a stadium 50% full of non vaccers. Spread risk is lower outside but between the field house, the bathrooms, shouting in close proximity it could be a super spreader event and next thing you know I have to watch the rest of the games in my basement when fans aren’t allowed like last year (which has its advantages but I digress).

And outside of my selfish interests for my kids to be able to play sports and me to swill beers at Martin Stadium there is no possible way to know what Covid will mutate to and possibly hangs around for decades.
We’re close to the finish line. Imagine a boxer that is clearly superior but let’s his opponent hang around the whole fight and gets in a lucky shot at the end. It’s time to stop dancing and knock Covid out.
I admire your patience, good job!

I consider it a HIPA violation for anyone to ask me for a proof of vaccine. Therefore, anybody telling me I don't have to wear a mask if I show my "proof" can simply eat a bag of dicks. As for the asshat governor who's been hiding in politics since the 70's, it's pretty amazing that his "science" now tells him we can arbitrarily take off our masks. That asshole can't rot in the dirt fast enough for my tastes...

I consider it a HIPA violation for anyone to ask me for a proof of vaccine. Therefore, anybody telling me I don't have to wear a mask if I show my "proof" can simply eat a bag of dicks. As for the asshat governor who's been hiding in politics since the 70's, it's pretty amazing that his "science" now tells him we can arbitrarily take off our masks. That asshole can't rot in the dirt fast enough for my tastes...
Well……it’s HIPAA. And that’s not even remotely got anything to do with the way it works. But entertaining rant, none the less.

Reactions: wazzucougs96
0kCcAo0M.jpeg

I agree 100% with the above comment that the CDC and governments at the state and federal levels have all been guilty of misusing information...and sometimes flat out lying....about this virus to encourage compliance.

That said, I had two friends die from the god damned thing and my office manager's sister is dead because of it. The fact that 40% of our country is either too selfish or too stupid to take the virus seriously is why the CDC has felt compelled to be overly dramatic about it.

Every time I hear someone belittle the vaccine or question the vaccine, I think back to my office manager. He didn't believe that the virus was that big of a deal. His wife spent a week in the ICU, it took him three weeks to get over it and his sister died. He takes it a lot more seriously now. There was a story in our local paper about a farm family in north central Kansas where 4 out of 5 brothers died from coronavirus. People in that part of the state were notorious for downplaying the virus.

For those that say, "if the vaccines are effective and everyone around me is vaccinated, why should anyone care about me?".....all I can say is that those people deserve to go through the same things that my office manager and that family went through. Perhaps then they would get the frickin' vaccine.

The theory is, as with other communicable respiratory diseases, any vaccinated person can still catch it. That’s when the vaccine comes into play. I mean how else would your immune system fight a virus that a vaccine has trained it against other than to actually get into your body. Then, something probably like 90-98% of people can effectively neutralize the virus without it reproducing to the point they could spread it. Some however still get a “sickness” from it much the same way you can get a flu vaccine and still have partial protection and partial sickness or “lessened” sickness. It’s probably not a concern in 99% of people but it does happen. And when you add statistically the probability of someone passing the virus outside with the probability of your vaccine working enough to protect to a good degree, it’s probably like a 1:20,000,000 chance of any issue.

You are too stupid to realize 3 are meant to prevent stuff from getting in, 1 is meant to prevent spit/moisture droplets from getting out. It’s one thing to decide against vaccinations and have valid points and reasoning, including your free will. But there is nothing more cringe than reposting pictures your find on antivax Facebook pages and Twitter. We get it, you think it’s a hoax.

I don’t personally think debating the issue matters anymore. Vaccines are readily available to everyone now. If you want one, get it. If you don’t, that’s fine too.

Schools, including WSU, will likely make it mandatory for students. Given that, you can now safely and legally open things up to full capacity. For those who contract COVID and get seriously affected or die, it’s an unfortunate outcome that they probably could have avoided.

For schools, businesses, and Government agencies, you’ve taken this as far as you can or should. The COVID vaccine can now fall in line with tobacco use, drugs & alcohol, obesity, sky diving, super summit mountaineering, etc. You know the risks, but live and let live.

Reactions: 79COUG
You are too stupid to realize 3 are meant to prevent stuff from getting in, 1 is meant to prevent spit/moisture droplets from getting out. It’s one thing to decide against vaccinations and have valid points and reasoning, including your free will. But there is nothing more cringe than reposting pictures your find on antivax Facebook pages and Twitter. We get it, you think it’s a hoax.
If you sneeze in anything other than an N95 mask (or one with greater reduction), the aerosolized particles will escape. The meme isn't about something going in or going out, its about the lie ( just another one) that a cloth mask will stop the virus - it won't, the virus is physically too small. But that didn't stop them from spreading the like.

The biggest effect cloth masks have is limiting the blast zone of the aerosolized particles that escape from the asshole who should have kept their ass home to begin with.

Reactions: Flatlandcoug
If you sneeze in anything other than an N95 mask (or one with greater reduction), the aerosolized particles will escape. The meme isn't about something going in or going out, its about the lie ( just another one) that a cloth mask will stop the virus - it won't, the virus is physically too small. But that didn't stop them from spreading the like.

The biggest effect cloth masks have is limiting the blast zone of the aerosolized particles that escape from the asshole who should have kept their ass home to begin with.
Masks may not work at all...but the central point of the meme is for harmful particulates and chemicals you wear organic respirators to keep them FROM GETTING IN. Covid masks, wether they work or not, are meant to keep spit from getting out. Same as sneezing into a sleeve. Same principle as standing in front of a garden hose that’s on, or standing in front of a garden hose that’s on with a towel between you and the hose. Spillage and leakage? Yea, but it supposed to BLOCK something. I’m not even saying it works, I’m just saying the meme is a pile of shit because the two functions are opposite of each other.

Last edited:

That's exactly the point. The virus is IN those particles that the cloth reduces.

If we were all exhaling virus as individual, discrete particles, there would be nothing that could be done. But we don't, we exhale them contained in droplets. A simple piece of cloth can greatly reduce the number released and the distance they dissipate.

None of the other masks shown, and most N95s, are effective at all because their exhalation ports are unfiltered. Your breath just goes out, droplets and all. People using the painters respirators and the N95s with the little plastic square on the front might as well not wear anything, because those don't protect anyone from covid.

Hahahahah you think the mask does something.

Hahahahahahahahahah

Hahahahahahahahahah
Literally from my own posts:

“Masks may not work at all.”
“Covid masks, wether they work or not, are meant to keep spit from getting out.”
“. I’m not even saying it works”

Apparently you can’t read. Or are disingenuous. Likely both. Funny thing is in reality we probably align more than we don’t. I’m just willing to hear both sides out without prioritizing a political group.

Literally from my own posts:

“Masks may not work at all.”
“Covid masks, wether they work or not, are meant to keep spit from getting out.”
“. I’m not even saying it works”

Apparently you can’t read. Or are disingenuous. Likely both. Funny thing is in reality we probably align more than we don’t. I’m just willing to hear both sides out without prioritizing a political group.

Well, your mother was a hamster and your father smells of elderberries!

No one answered this because its a bad faith question in which I am pretty sure you already know the answer to. If you don't, it isn't that hard to learn.

Hahahahahahahahahah

FWIW, studies have shown that widespread mask wearing does reduce the spread of viruses...but mainly for the reason listed above. It's not about stopping every particle...it's about keeping particles from blowing all the way across the room.

EDIT: Nobody is suggesting that they are all that effective, but they are definitely effective when combined with other measures. FWIW, they should also be discontinued as soon as it's reasonable to do so because they do have their own problems.

Last edited:

What about ill fitting cloth masks that are rarely washed?

Well....let's try to be accurate.

Something less than an N95 mask does not stop 100% of a sneeze. However, it is excellent protection unless you are trapped in an elevator with someone (or similar confines) for an extended period. The "why" has been well known since long before covid, and it is not a lie to say that it is good protection. I haven't seen anyone say that a cloth mask will stop a virus 100%, but it gets most of it, because the virus is not traveling alone...it is in a much, much, much larger liquid aerosol drop. And cloth masks work very well against aerosol drops. ASHRAE published a position paper on aerosol transfer on 4/14/20 to remind folks of how aerosol transmission works, and there have been numerous studies since. I've provided links before to those who wish to understand how it works. It comes down to (in plain english) blast zone (you used a pretty good term), dosage, air movement and some other things having to do with particulate in the air. The thing that the 4/14/20 paper noted of which I was NOT aware was the relative humidity impact. In really dry conditions, a free aerosol droplet shrinks super fast due to evaporation. Since it is the weight of the liquid that pulls the droplet to the ground and limits the distance factor over which transmission occurs, in dry conditions (and here in SoCal we go below 10% RH during Santa Ana winds) the virus alone can go 20'-30'. Add to that, if there is a lot of particulate in the air the virus will hitch a ride if it makes contact, and go even further. The good news is that if you are outdoors, the blast zone widens with distance (like your shotgun's shot pattern) and the resulting dosage that you receive at a distance is small. And small dosage appears to be the differentiator between many of those who had to be hospitalized and those who did not. It appears that the immune system is more successful when fighting off a small dose than if it has to fight off a massive dose (as someone in the elevator, or getting a prolonged hug at a funeral might be expected to get), and that is a factor in disease severity.

Long story short, cloth masks are very effective at limiting aerosol transmission. Not as good as an N95, but still very good, and that is because they do a good job of trapping aerosol moisture particles. That is simply a fact.

Well....let's try to be accurate.

Something less than an N95 mask does not stop 100% of a sneeze. However, it is excellent protection unless you are trapped in an elevator with someone (or similar confines) for an extended period. The "why" has been well known since long before covid, and it is not a lie to say that it is good protection. I haven't seen anyone say that a cloth mask will stop a virus 100%, but it gets most of it, because the virus is not traveling alone...it is in a much, much, much larger liquid aerosol drop. And cloth masks work very well against aerosol drops. ASHRAE published a position paper on aerosol transfer on 4/14/20 to remind folks of how aerosol transmission works, and there have been numerous studies since. I've provided links before to those who wish to understand how it works. It comes down to (in plain english) blast zone (you used a pretty good term), dosage, air movement and some other things having to do with particulate in the air. The thing that the 4/14/20 paper noted of which I was NOT aware was the relative humidity impact. In really dry conditions, a free aerosol droplet shrinks super fast due to evaporation. Since it is the weight of the liquid that pulls the droplet to the ground and limits the distance factor over which transmission occurs, in dry conditions (and here in SoCal we go below 10% RH during Santa Ana winds) the virus alone can go 20'-30'. Add to that, if there is a lot of particulate in the air the virus will hitch a ride if it makes contact, and go even further. The good news is that if you are outdoors, the blast zone widens with distance (like your shotgun's shot pattern) and the resulting dosage that you receive at a distance is small. And small dosage appears to be the differentiator between many of those who had to be hospitalized and those who did not. It appears that the immune system is more successful when fighting off a small dose than if it has to fight off a massive dose (as someone in the elevator, or getting a prolonged hug at a funeral might be expected to get), and that is a factor in disease severity.

Long story short, cloth masks are very effective at limiting aerosol transmission. Not as good as an N95, but still very good, and that is because they do a good job of trapping aerosol moisture particles. That is simply a fact.
This needs to come with the caveat that it only applies to N95s without exhalation ports. Those are ineffective. It's also an unintended application of N95s. They're meant to keep things out, not to contain it. The only masks I know of that are meant to control exhalation - and have been used for decades - are surgical masks worn by doctors & nurses.

(And I've found it amusing for 15 months the ridiculous claims that masks either do nothing or poison you with CO2. If a surgeon showed up without a mask, nobody would let him work. And who's ever heard of a doctor or nurse who passed out in a long surgery because of exposure to their own CO2?)

Reactions: Observer11
No one answered this because its a bad faith question in which I am pretty sure you already know the answer to. If you don't, it isn't that hard to learn.
OK, 'good faith' judge. Glad you've unilaterally appointed yourself the purveyor of what is and isn't 'good faith'.
Great deflection mechanism though. Grade A interwebs technique.

You may also want to learn some other answers to questions that haven't been asked and begin to consider that what you're being fed isn't necessarily the whole story. Not expecting anyone to have a lightbulb moment - but simply consider there are more than ample amounts of data and information out there contrary to widely circulated reports.

Because, as we all know, the government didn't lie about things like Agent Orange or the CIA performing R&D on people's minds during the Cold War or the Tuskegee Syphillis Experiment, etc.

And while the government may not have out and out lied about COVID, masks or vaccines, they are certainly backtracking at an increasing pace lately - to wit the CDC Director:

“Many, many hospitals are screening people for COVID when they come in, so not all of those 223 cases who had COVID actually died of COVID. They may have had mild disease, but died, for example, of a heart attack,” CDC Director Rochelle Walensky said on CNN’s “State of the Union” on Sunday.

The actual number is about 6% died directly from COVID, while the rest had co-morbidities and COVID was detected.

So, yes, my question is asked in good faith but it's also under the guise of prompting people to think for themselves and their individual situations. Then utilize the critical thinking skills acquired at our esteemed university rather than taking whatever is fed to them as gospel truth.

The answer is probably somewhere in the middle of the spectrum rather than the arrogant certainty of either end.

Reactions: NMBRCRNCHR
A little more data:

So, as a follow up - how can that be? Zero deaths from Covid? And how can the State of Washington be so different from Texas? Other than it's about 4 times the population....and, rightfully should have a pro-rata share of deaths, shouldn't it?

I would guess Texas is seeing a lot of success due to weather and outdoor functions, combined with the amount of people who have been vaccinated/past infections. Washington will follow the same numbers soon as weather continues to get better and better. As will allstates. Good job Texas.

“Many, many hospitals are screening people for COVID when they come in, so not all of those 223 cases who had COVID actually died of COVID. They may have had mild disease, but died, for example, of a heart attack,” CDC Director Rochelle Walensky said on CNN’s “State of the Union” on Sunday.

The actual number is about 6% died directly from COVID, while the rest had co-morbidities and COVID was detected.

So, yes, my question is asked in good faith but it's also under the guise of prompting people to think for themselves and their individual situations. Then utilize the critical thinking skills acquired at our esteemed university rather than taking whatever is fed to them as gospel truth.

The answer is probably somewhere in the middle of the spectrum rather than the arrogant certainty of either end.
The entire purpose all along has been extreme caution due to the fact we didn't know much about anything when it first started. Better safe than sorry is not some liberal conspiracy, it is just a prudent way of conducting oneself. I learned this when I was 5.

Yes, straight up deaths from Covid are minimal, but that isn't really relevant. We have an absurdly unhealthy, obese, and aging population. A huge percentage of our population has at least one "co-morbidity" thus why we have more deaths during the pandemic than any other nation on earth. If you have a heart condition that is otherwise under control, but then contract covid and die as a result, it is still the covid that killed you. The rationale being that you would have otherwise continued to live without it. It's no different than someone with a heart condition that is under control getting hit by a bus and dying. The co-morbidity is irrelevant, the bus hitting them killed them.

As for your original question about vaccines, it was a bad faith question because it ignores a huge part of the purpose of vaccinations: preventing transmission vectors. Yes the current vax will protect me personally, and that is great. But all the loons choosing not to vax are not doing their part to help protect those that cannot get vaccinated, and keep huge pathways of potential infection open as a result. Anyone choosing not to vax at this point is nothing more than selfish, especially those who stomp their feet and refuse simply on the grounds that "you can't make me because America" is their rationale. It is simpleton thinking that is parroted by simpletons. And as someone else mentioned upthread, it's an embarrassment to the university that we are producing so many science deniers.

The entire purpose all along has been extreme caution due to the fact we didn't know much about anything when it first started. Better safe than sorry is not some liberal conspiracy, it is just a prudent way of conducting oneself. I learned this when I was 5.

Yes, straight up deaths from Covid are minimal, but that isn't really relevant. We have an absurdly unhealthy, obese, and aging population. A huge percentage of our population has at least one "co-morbidity" thus why we have more deaths during the pandemic than any other nation on earth. If you have a heart condition that is otherwise under control, but then contract covid and die as a result, it is still the covid that killed you. The rationale being that you would have otherwise continued to live without it. It's no different than someone with a heart condition that is under control getting hit by a bus and dying. The co-morbidity is irrelevant, the bus hitting them killed them.

As for your original question about vaccines, it was a bad faith question because it ignores a huge part of the purpose of vaccinations: preventing transmission vectors. Yes the current vax will protect me personally, and that is great. But all the loons choosing not to vax are not doing their part to help protect those that cannot get vaccinated, and keep huge pathways of potential infection open as a result. Anyone choosing not to vax at this point is nothing more than selfish, especially those who stomp their feet and refuse simply on the grounds that "you can't make me because America" is their rationale. It is simpleton thinking that is parroted by simpletons. And as someone else mentioned upthread, it's an embarrassment to the university that we are producing so many science deniers.

So you're dead set on your analysis and the 'science' behind your stance. Your position is whatever comes down from on high is not susceptible to questioning by labeling those who do so as 'science deniers'. Not very scientific.

Perhaps you should take 90 minutes and listen to the most recent episode of The Darkhorse Podcast (Bret Weinstein and Heather Heying - both PhDs in biology) as a primer on just where 'science' has gone wrong in the last year. I suspect that over the next few months there will be continued use of the scientific method and investigations into virtually everything that has been held out of 'science' over the past year. Those that have been silenced or shushed by the mainstream media will be much more vocal.

And from that, the 'truth' will be revealed. Not by shouting down those to whom we disagree as you are doing. We should be strongly in favor of having all theories and actions questioned or we're no better than the Borg. Be assimilated or else.

Last edited:
I would guess Texas is seeing a lot of success due to weather and outdoor functions, combined with the amount of people who have been vaccinated/past infections. Washington will follow the same numbers soon as weather continues to get better and better. As will allstates. Good job Texas.
Texas is still masking. Its not the wild west full of "neanderthals" as some would have you believe. My cousin was just in Amarillo a month ago and he said most people were still masking, despite there being no mask mandate. Of course, you'd never hear that on the news, just that Texas is full of selfish assholes bc they dared go against his royal dementia-ness and his loyal dog Falschi.

Reactions: Observer11
Texas is still masking. Its not the wild west full of "neanderthals" as some would have you believe. My cousin was just in Amarillo a month ago and he said most people were still masking, despite there being no mask mandate. Of course, you'd never hear that on the news, just that Texas is full of selfish assholes bc they dared go against his royal dementia-ness and his loyal dog Falschi.
I spent a month in Amarillo one week.

OK, 'good faith' judge. Glad you've unilaterally appointed yourself the purveyor of what is and isn't 'good faith'.
Great deflection mechanism though. Grade A interwebs technique.

You may also want to learn some other answers to questions that haven't been asked and begin to consider that what you're being fed isn't necessarily the whole story. Not expecting anyone to have a lightbulb moment - but simply consider there are more than ample amounts of data and information out there contrary to widely circulated reports.

Because, as we all know, the government didn't lie about things like Agent Orange or the CIA performing R&D on people's minds during the Cold War or the Tuskegee Syphillis Experiment, etc.

And while the government may not have out and out lied about COVID, masks or vaccines, they are certainly backtracking at an increasing pace lately - to wit the CDC Director:

I know three people that died from COVID and every time I see a post like yours....it really pisses me off. My friend from my engineering society is dead because he caught COVID. If not for the virus. he would not be dead. My office manager's wife is dead and she wouldn't be dead if she hadn't caught COVID.

Another friend of mine is dead and while he had co-morbidities....he likely wouldn't be dead if not for COVID.

I know real people that are gone because of this virus and it's an insult to them and their families when someone blows off their deaths. You really should just quit talking about sh!t that you know nothing about.

The difference between ignorance and stupidity is the number of times one tries to claim ignorance about the same thing.

For those who had doubts about aerosol transmission for the past year, despite the facts, I found this from Bloomberg on May 16 to be interesting; even a bit ironic:

Gee, it really IS aerosol transmitted!!

My only bone to pick with the article is that it implies that only the researchers were banging this drum for the past year. That is flat out wrong; engineers in whose field this falls have known it for a long time, and my posts dealt with it repeatedly. Unfortunately, there were a lot of non-experts who spouted ignorance. Sort of like the civil engineer who was trying to tell me how air distribution worked. Or the cardiologist who said it was all just the flu. Or the biologists who think they are immunologists.

The difference between ignorance and stupidity is the number of times one tries to claim ignorance about the same thing.

For those who had doubts about aerosol transmission for the past year, despite the facts, I found this from Bloomberg on May 16 to be interesting; even a bit ironic:

Gee, it really IS aerosol transmitted!!

My only bone to pick with the article is that it implies that only the researchers were banging this drum for the past year. That is flat out wrong; engineers in whose field this falls have known it for a long time, and my posts dealt with it repeatedly. Unfortunately, there were a lot of non-experts who spouted ignorance. Sort of like the civil engineer who was trying to tell me how air distribution worked. Or the cardiologist who said it was all just the flu. Or the biologists who think they are immunologists.
So, a couple of things:
The people who have been crying aerosol for a year- the people who get paid based on stuff being aerosol - finally get some validation from the WHO and CDC, for whatever that is worth. Hooray?

Second, now they're shitting on the rest of the advice calling it hygiene theater? Hand washing has been, is, and will continue to be, and effective way to prevent the spread of viruses and other pathogens. There are endless studies showing the efficacy of hand washing. Grandstanding about being right by shitting on other proven practices is something that could only happen in these crazy, idiotic, fcking imbecilic times. Of course this will lead to someone grabbing this information that is out of context at best and running with it - "hey, hand washing does no good to prevent the spread of viruses, so don't bother."

Also, I can't erase Flat from the beginning of this post, so - sorry Flat. Not sure how that happened.

(are we to 8 yet?)

Last edited:
A little more data:

https://www.newsweek.com/texas-repo...ve a pro-rata share of deaths, shouldn't it?
[QUOTE="Observer11, post: 263004, ...m_source=Twitter#Echobox=1621219663 [/QUOTE]
So, as a follow up - how can that be? Zero deaths from Covid? And how can the State of Washington be so different from Texas? Other than it's about 4 times the population....and, rightfully should have a pro-rata share of deaths, shouldn't it?

Ob 11... probably several areas where I struggle. First , didn’t Abbott open up last April and have to shut down for like six months ? So you are saying he is one for two . Second the reason I would consider it Neanderthal thinking is we are so close to the finish line and had the vaccine ramping up. I do t think anyone would have predicted over 35% of the people after being shut down , being stuck in a house for almost a year would be hesitant or against taking a safe vaccine.

Third I believe people in Texas are taking measures on their own to stay safe. How many people have gone back to their offices and gyms without being vaccinated.

Fourth, Texas is 30% fully vaccinated that will cut down on deaths and hospitalizations. Thus changing the numbers from say last June.

Fifth, the death toll is sexy, but it really is about overrunning hospitals

Six, you have been on the more liberal side in terms of opening up various counties . Correct me if I am wrong. You know the economic damage that is being done . Why wouldn’t anyone want to cut the disease off before it can morph into something different and more dangerous to others .

Seven , what would this pandemic look like if everyone just opened up last April . How many deaths and hospitalizations are acceptable?

You have never answered the question that would change my mind . What are your assurances that this disease like many other diseases won’t morph into something that will affect my 19 and 21 year olds ? Where is the data?

Yoir analogy about only 6% of the deaths are covid related is like saying only 6% of house fires are do to a match and the rest are do to the house being built out of lumber . Covid was the accelerant .

Do you think Trump and Chris Christie would be alive if they had been at a overloaded hospital in LA or New York ? Or if they didn’t have access to Regenerons therapy ? How about Rudy ? I certainly don’t .

It almost sounds like the approach that some believe in is like sending our sons and daughters out in the real world “well one out of 100 condoms break so we can’t trust them . There is a decent chance the pill causes complications so don’t use the pill. Son/daughter just use the Rhythm method cause that is what so and so believes in.

Last edited:

Ob 11... probably several areas where I struggle. First , didn’t Abbott open up last April and have to shut down for like six months ? So you are saying he is one for two . Second the reason I would consider it Neanderthal thinking is we are so close to the finish line and had the vaccine ramping up. I do t think anyone would have predicted over 35% of the people after being shut down , being stuck in a house for almost a year would be hesitant or against taking a safe vaccine.

Third I believe people in Texas are taking measures on their own to stay safe. How many people have gone back to their offices and gyms without being vaccinated.

Fourth, Texas is 30% fully vaccinated that will cut down on deaths and hospitalizations. Thus changing the numbers from say last June.

Fifth, the death toll is sexy, but it really is about overrunning hospitals

Six, you have been on the more liberal side in terms of opening up various counties . Correct me if I am wrong. You know the economic damage that is being done . Why wouldn’t anyone want to cut the disease off before it can morph into something different and more dangerous to others .

Seven , what would this pandemic look like if everyone just opened up last April . How many deaths and hospitalizations are acceptable?

You have never answered the question that would change my mind . What are your assurances that this disease like many other diseases won’t morph into something that will affect my 19 and 21 year olds ? Where is the data?

Yoir analogy about only 6% of the deaths are covid related is like saying only 6% of house fires are do to a match and the rest are do to the house being built out of lumber . Covid was the accelerant .

Do you think Trump and Chris Christie would be alive if they had been at a overloaded hospital in LA or New York ? Or if they didn’t have access to Regenerons therapy ? How about Rudy ? I certainly don’t .

It almost sounds like the approach that some believe in is like sending our sons and daughters out in the real world “well one out of 100 condoms break so we can’t trust them . There is a decent chance the pill causes complications so don’t use the pill. Son/daughter just use the Rhythm method cause that is what so and so believes in.
What are you talking about re the bolded text?

So you're dead set on your analysis and the 'science' behind your stance. Your position is whatever comes down from on high is not susceptible to questioning by labeling those who do so as 'science deniers'. Not very scientific.

Perhaps you should take 90 minutes and listen to the most recent episode of The Darkhorse Podcast (Bret Weinstein and Heather Heying - both PhDs in biology) as a primer on just where 'science' has gone wrong in the last year. I suspect that over the next few months there will be continued use of the scientific method and investigations into virtually everything that has been held out of 'science' over the past year. Those that have been silenced or shushed by the mainstream media will be much more vocal.

And from that, the 'truth' will be revealed. Not by shouting down those to whom we disagree as you are doing. We should be strongly in favor of having all theories and actions questioned or we're no better than the Borg. Be assimilated or else.

Anyone who uses the term "mainstream media" unironically should automatically be dismissed as irrelevant. Only right wing trolls talk like that.

Also, A+ job ducking literally everything I said so you could attempt to lecture me with your nonsense.

Also, A+ job ducking literally everything I said so you could attempt to lecture me with your nonsense.

What did you say that deserved responding to? I already did - educated people are curious and look at all sorts of data and viewpoints.

Obviously you didn’t listen to the Weinstein podcast. You know - scientists.

What are you talking about re the bolded text?
I could swear he signed an executive over on April 17 2020 opening Texas back up. Am I incorrect ?

Are you saying that is incorrect ? Are you also saying he didn’t shut everything down in June ?

So, a couple of things:
The people who have been crying aerosol for a year- the people who get paid based on stuff being aerosol - finally get some validation from the WHO and CDC, for whatever that is worth. Hooray?

Second, now they're shitting on the rest of the advice calling it hygiene theater? Hand washing has been, is, and will continue to be, and effective way to prevent the spread of viruses and other pathogens. There are endless studies showing the efficacy of hand washing. Grandstanding about being right by shitting on other proven practices is something that could only happen in these crazy, idiotic, fcking imbecilic times. Of course this will lead to someone grabbing this information that is out of context at best and running with it - "hey, hand washing does no good to prevent the spread of viruses, so don't bother."

Also, I can't erase Flat from the beginning of this post, so - sorry Flat. Not sure how that happened.

(are we to 8 yet?)
Agree that it is not worth a hooray that what we've known and been designing for in hospital & pharmaceutical applications for decades (aerosol transmission) has now been recognized for covid. Particularly when two of the most widely studied incidents; the Guangzhou restaurant and the Mt Vernon choir; made that abundantly and unquestionably clear in February & March of last year.

Also agree that hand washing and other good practice is important. If not such a big deal for covid, then for other viruses and health in general. Both these good practices and the mask wearing have dramatically cut "normal" colds, flu, etc., to levels I've never seen before where I live. I assume it is the same everywhere. I can think of a couple of people I know that probably never learned how to wash their hands effectively until covid, so there is a definite silver lining.

It has been a long and frustrating period of time. Who knows, in 20 years we might even call it an "era". Now we have to try to get the rest of the world vaccinated, as soon as possible, so the chances of a vaccine-resistant variant can be minimized. That is the next big challenge.

Reactions: Wasichus
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT