ADVERTISEMENT

class strength

longtimecoug

Hall Of Fame
Dec 22, 2002
a lot of 2 star players this class, I hope we haven't been forced to take lesser players because we struck out on too many higher on our list

a lot of 2 star players this class, I hope we haven't been forced to take lesser players because we struck out on too many higher on our list

Stuff seems to be able to identify talent pretty well. Looks like they are filling area of needs. Only concerning thing is still the lack of defensive tackles, which is something we struggled with when Coach Joe was here. We are still taking 25 this class, we are still taking 5 offensive linemen. We are taking 3 linebackers, 3 DE and a lot of athletes and db's. It's filling needs and building depth. Wazzu will never be a top 20 recruiting school. But I rather win games in the fall and let UCLA win the day in February.

It also depends on what service you like and listen to. I see a very balanced class with some good potential. I like the LB, DB, OL, QB, and RB. I am a bit leery of the DL, but we have a bunch of speed end types, so perhaps it is more a change in focus than anything else. Which 2 star players do you think don't fit the bill for a D1 scholly?

Remember if they flipped to another larger school, they'd be an instant 3* or 4* ;)

But yeah, depends on scouting service and how much tape they've submitted. I trust the staff.

Reactions: Coug1990
I think more about the film of the kid, and getting an idea of where they fit in our system. The Air Raid can use players that would not be a prototypical fit at the position on O. For example, the athleticism you see on the kid from Louisiana looks like a good fit to me even though he is a 2 star guy, ditto the LB from Georgia. If Grinch is planning on shaking it up i.e. speed D, I could see less focus on 300 pounders and more on quickness attributes.

Stuff seems to be able to identify talent pretty well. Looks like they are filling area of needs. Only concerning thing is still the lack of defensive tackles, which is something we struggled with when Coach Joe was here. We are still taking 25 this class, we are still taking 5 offensive linemen. We are taking 3 linebackers, 3 DE and a lot of athletes and db's. It's filling needs and building depth. Wazzu will never be a top 20 recruiting school. But I rather win games in the fall and let UCLA win the day in February.

I'd settle for top 50/ mid P12.

I think more about the film of the kid, and getting an idea of where they fit in our system. The Air Raid can use players that would not be a prototypical fit at the position on O. For example, the athleticism you see on the kid from Louisiana looks like a good fit to me even though he is a 2 star guy, ditto the LB from Georgia. If Grinch is planning on shaking it up i.e. speed D, I could see less focus on 300 pounders and more on quickness attributes.

Not sure if its Grinch or Manning preaching the speed D, but either way I'd love to see 4 linebackers flying around the field blowing plays up.

Not sure if its Grinch or Manning preaching the speed D, but either way I'd love to see 4 linebackers flying around the field blowing plays up.

Yes, and...did it seem to anyone else that our D played better with Barber out last year? Nothing against him, but I think in the Pac-12 in general speed is going to help over size unless you can get the 4 star DL guys coming in regularly. Perhaps Phelps can help with that. I liked seeing them use Luani, Hercules, etc in different ways to affect the O during the Barber suspension.

Yes, and...did it seem to anyone else that our D played better with Barber out last year? Nothing against him, but I think in the Pac-12 in general speed is going to help over size unless you can get the 4 star DL guys coming in regularly. Perhaps Phelps can help with that. I liked seeing them use Luani, Hercules, etc in different ways to affect the O during the Barber suspension.

It seemed liked they adjusted to his loss and then forgot to adjust back when he returned. Pre-suspension he was a force to be accounted for by the o-line, post-suspension not so much. Not really sure why it played out like that, but we sure could have used pre-suspension Barber/ defense over the last 3 games.

It seemed liked they adjusted to his loss and then forgot to adjust back when he returned. Pre-suspension he was a force to be accounted for by the o-line, post-suspension not so much. Not really sure why it played out like that, but we sure could have used pre-suspension Barber/ defense over the last 3 games.
Before the suspension it seemed Barber was starting to cause a lot more disruption in games but that didn't seem to return with him after the suspense was lifted for whatever reason.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT