ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Smith

7ICoug

Hall Of Fame
Jan 30, 2003
Actually its Coach Smith that has a decision to make not WSU. Hate to change the thread but he is in the drivers seat. Pac12 Coach of the Year sort of drives things.

Last edited:
Actually its Coach Smith that has a decision to make not WSU. Hate to change the thread but he is in the drivers seat. Pac12 Coach of the Year sort of drives things.

I made the comment in the other thread that Smith has to decide if he wants to be at WSU or not because we can't offer him enough money to stay ahead of other potential offers, more so if we make it to the Sweet 16. He has to want to make something special at WSU. So yeah....Smith is the one making a decision and all our AD can do is listen and try not do anything that forces Smith to leave.

I made the comment in the other thread that Smith has to decide if he wants to be at WSU or not because we can't offer him enough money to stay ahead of other potential offers, more so if we make it to the Sweet 16. He has to want to make something special at WSU. So yeah....Smith is the one making a decision and all our AD can do is listen and try not do anything that forces Smith to leave.
You offer him the max now....whatever you can afford. 3 Mil? And when he turns it down make sure you have a great back up plan.

Chun better have a list built for plan b or the roster will be gutted quickly. Hiring the right guy may keep a player or 2 in Pullman rather than a full rebuild.
His assistant that went to Florida may be one to look at?

Smith's decision for sure. He's in demand. John Andrzejek is the assistant that went to Florida. It's a big jump at this level. If it comes to it, I would hope we could attract a head coach.

The solution is simple.

And there is the 100+ million of PAC money, and altho WSU can't spend a lot of that, surely WSU can spend enough of that to NOT CUT SMITH'S 1.5 million by 10%

And then WSU, Schultz, Chun raises Smith Salary to about 1.83 million to 2 mil to 2.15 million + bonus's, incentives, instead of 1.5 mil

And then if Smith says no to that and leaves, then he leaves, and WSU promotes Jim Shaw to HC, to try to keep players at WSU, and because Jim Shaw is who Smith says is responsible for the awesome recruiting, and Jim Shaw is familiar with, likes Smith's scheme, coaching style, etc, which is why Jim Shaw has stuck with Smith so long.

Problem would then be solved no matter whether it's Smith or Jim Shaw as HC

But since it is that simple, easy, etc, then Schultz, Chun will probably shoot it down, not do it, etc.

They may want to get travis decuire on speed dial because word here in the bay area is that stanford is coming hard
At coach Smith.

They may want to get travis decuire on speed dial because word here in the bay area is that stanford is coming hard
At coach Smith.

I haven't seen, read anything on, about Smith being on Stanford's Short list, or their top choice.

And nobody else on this board has posted anything about that. And if that was a probability, possibility, some poster here would have posted about it earlier then you.

The fans, boosters, alumni, big time donors, etc, may, might probably want Smith, but so far the Stanford president, AD probably haven't said anything about either Smith, or Smith being their top guy.

Your just spreading a rumor.

But even if were true, there are many reasons Smith would still stay that I have covered, and that you, others haven't read about, one of which is that if Smith goes to Stanford, then the ACC will fall apart, and Stanford, Smith, will either have to join a G5, or go independent, and because of that Smith would basically be in a somewhat similar situation that he in now. Also why join Stanford, when he can get a much better job elsewhere.

KYLE SMITH - WASHINGTON STATE HEAD COACH​

(Photo: Getty/Miller)
11814701.jpg

Record: 257-191
Years as Head Coach: 14
Pros: Smith has been a winner everywhere he's gone with a 57% career win percentage and no losing seasons over the past nine years at three different schools. Smith is coming off his best season yet, leading Washington State to a 2nd-place finish in the Pac-12. He is two wins away from tying the most single-season victories in WSU history. Smith has very relevant ties with three years at San Francisco and six in the Ivy League at Columbia.
Cons: While there have been few low-points in Smith's career, the highs have not been overly high either. This season is projected to be his first career NCAA Tournament appearance. He's never won a conference championship or conference tournament.

This is from 24/7 who has Smith at the top of their list of Stanford candidates not sure if they are in any particular order but he is the first one listed

Top five Jerod Haase replacements for Stanford HC​

#1 Kyle Smith​

As per ESPN sources, Smith is one of the top candidates for the role. He began his coaching career at another Ivy, Columbia, with whom he has a 101-82 record. In his current role at Washington State, he holds a 93-69 record with a 24-8 for this season.

The Cougars are No. 18 in the country, and Smith has helped lead the team to their first NCAA Tournament since 2008.

Sources all over the net have Smith as their top candidate

Kyle Smith is viewed as the top candidate for the opening, and had Washington state been able to join a Power conference there may have been no reason for him to leave. However, they are West Coast Conference bound next season, following the collapse of the Pac-12 which is where he left from (San Francisco) to take the Washington State gig. He and the program also didn't get to a contract extension as reports revealed they tabled it until the end of the season. It's fitting that it happens to his best season, as the Cougars are ranked No. 18

That’s from Sports Illustrated so yes I’d definitely say Stanford is going to come after Smith hard

I haven't seen, read anything on, about Smith being on Stanford's Short list, or their top choice.

And nobody else on this board has posted anything about that. And if that was a probability, possibility, some poster here would have posted about it earlier then you.

The fans, boosters, alumni, big time donors, etc, may, might probably want Smith, but so far the Stanford president, AD probably haven't said anything about either Smith, or Smith being their top guy.

Your just spreading a rumor.

But even if were true, there are many reasons Smith would still stay that I have covered, and that you, others haven't read about, one of which is that if Smith goes to Stanford, then the ACC will fall apart, and Stanford, Smith, will either have to join a G5, or go independent, and because of that Smith would basically be in a somewhat similar situation that he in now. Also why join Stanford, when he can get a much better job elsewhere.
Did you block me? Look one post up from yours where I linked the article on Stanford's rumored top ten. Smith is among them........... :)

I'm curious to know how much campus administrative culture factors into a coach's decision. I suppose if generational money came along you could suck it up for a few years and move on when the stink was bad enough, but seriously - if you have to deal with admin, boosters, DEI, woke politics governing how you do your job do you politely decline?

It has to matter right? Some of these schools are culturing themselves out of coaching candidates?

Reactions: kougkurt
Did you block me? Look one post up from yours where I linked the article on Stanford's rumored top ten. Smith is among them........... :)

That's the first time I had read anything about that, and I didn't see what you said as I was replying, making the comment I made.

Also that list was a list of RUMORS, who they suspected, thought would be who Stanford might go after.

That was NOT even a semi official, etc, Stanford list, etc, let alone a SHORT LIST(3 TO 5 TO 7, let alone being at the top of the list.

Stanford might go after Smith, or they might go after someone else, one of the other listed candidates perhaps.

Also like I said if Smith goes to Stanford, he will probably end up in a situation where the ACC falls apart, and then Stanford has to either join a G5(won't join a rebuilt PAC)(can't join a P5), or go independent, and basically be in a somewhat similar situation(Stanford being somewhat stranded, after ACC falls apart), as he Smith is in at WSU(WSU, Smith being left behind to try to rebuild PAC 2).

And like I said, Smith can get a better job then Stanford.

Because of all that all combined together, it's not likely that Smith goes to Stanford.

Could it happen? Yes Will it happen, probably not, but we'll see, until, unless then, I am not worried about Stanford getting Smith.

I'm curious to know how much campus administrative culture factors into a coach's decision. I suppose if generational money came along you could suck it up for a few years and move on when the stink was bad enough, but seriously - if you have to deal with admin, boosters, DEI, woke politics governing how you do your job do you politely decline?

It has to matter right? Some of these schools are culturing themselves out of coaching candidates?
Has the AD delivered on the cameras he wanted to help analyze #Nerdball?

I think for Smith, it's the little details that will make the biggest difference.

Both basketball programs deserve to get more love.

Top five Jerod Haase replacements for Stanford HC​

#1 Kyle Smith​

As per ESPN sources, Smith is one of the top candidates for the role. He began his coaching career at another Ivy, Columbia, with whom he has a 101-82 record. In his current role at Washington State, he holds a 93-69 record with a 24-8 for this season.

The Cougars are No. 18 in the country, and Smith has helped lead the team to their first NCAA Tournament since 2008.

Sources all over the net have Smith as their top candidate

I think these are rumors where these sources, they probably think, believe, suspect that Kyle Smith is either the top, or one of the top, leading candidates.

But I haven't seen, read anything that says something like:

By ESPN, FOX, etc, etc, etc

"According to sources within the Stanford program, Kyle Smith IS the OFFICIAL TOP, or one of the top leading Candidate(s) for the job, and Stanford is going after Smith HARD."

There was a Seattle times article that said that sources at UW have said that Dan Sprinkler is the top choice at UW, and that it's Dan Sprinkler's job, if he wants it, and that he probably will want it, because his father was at UW.

There wasn't even a article like that. It's just rumors, beliefs, suspected targets, candidates, etc, who, what they think.

Smith might very well be who Fans, Alumni, Boosters, Donors want, but it's the president, AD that decides, and can decide to get someone different then who the fans, alumni, boosters, donors, etc m, want.

Also like I said if Smith goes to Stanford, he will be in a somewhat similar position as he is in at WSU, once the ACC FALLS APART ON HIM SMITH, STANFORD.

And like I said Smith can easily get a better job then the Stanford job.

.And even tho WSU is going to WCC for 1,2 years, Smith knows or should know that in 2 years he will probably be in either:

Top 6 to 9 best MWC join PAC 2

The best G5's, BSU, SDSU, Fresno St, UNLV, Airforce, Utah St,WSU, OSU, Duke, Pitt, Louisville, Virginia Tech, Boston College, Georgia Tech, merge into the PAC 16/18/20, or merge into ACC, once ACC FALLS APART, and Stanford leaves, because they won't be in same conference as BSU.

So Smith won't permanently join WCC.

But even if WSU, Smith did, WSU would be almost equal to Gonzaga, St Mary's, and would be be way the hell better then the old WCC program that he, Smith used to be the HC at, and that WSU would be one of the top 3 programs in the WCC, and would probably rip thru the WCC, and probably make the NCAA tourney.

And as far as what you said about Smith, WSU not doing a contract extension, it's obvious that you didn't listen to the audio link, interview, etc, where Smith said he was extremely close to a extension, because despite saying that they would table it until later, Smith said that WSU, Schultz, Smith have been busy working on, hammering out, cobbling together a extension deal, because WSU, Schultz, Chun, etc, really want Smith to stay, and Smith really wants to do an extension, stay, loves WSU, Pullman, etc.

Smith said that.

I'm not worried about Stanford getting Smith.

Either Stanford hires other possible candidates, etc, or Smith either stays at WSU for at least another season, or if he does leave, he gets a better job then Stanford, goes somewhere else, instead of going to stanford.

Last edited:
I think these are rumors where these sources, they probably think, believe, suspect that Kyle Smith is either the top, or one of the top, leading candidates.

But I haven't seen, read anything that says something like:

By ESPN, FOX, etc, etc, etc

"According to sources within the Stanford program, Kyle Smith IS the OFFICIAL TOP, or one of the top leading Candidate(s) for the job, and Stanford is going after Smith HARD."

There was a Seattle times article that said that sources at UW have said that Dan Sprinkler is the top choice at UW, and that it's Dan Sprinkler's job, if he wants it, and that he probably will want it, because his father was at UW.

There wasn't even a article like that. It's just rumors, beliefs, suspected targets, candidates, etc, who, what they think.

Smith might very well be who Fans, Alumni, Boosters, Donors want, but it's the president, AD that decides, and can decide to get someone different then who the fans, alumni, boosters, donors, etc m, want.

Also like I said if Smith goes to Stanford, he will be in a somewhat similar position as he is in at WSU, once the ACC FALLS APART ON HIM SMITH, STANFORD.

And like I said Smith can easily get a better job then the Stanford job.

.And even tho WSU is going to WCC for 1,2 years, Smith knows or should know that in 2 years he will probably be in either:

Top 6 to 9 best MWC join PAC 2

The best G5's, BSU, SDSU, Fresno St, UNLV, Airforce, Utah St,WSU, OSU, Duke, Pitt, Louisville, Virginia Tech, Boston College, Georgia Tech, merge into the PAC 16/18/20, or merge into ACC, once ACC FALLS APART, and Stanford leaves, because they won't be in same conference as BSU.

So Smith won't permanently join WCC.

But even if WSU, Smith did, WSU would be almost equal to Gonzaga, St Mary's, and would be be way the hell better then the old WCC program that he, Smith used to be the HC at, and that WSU would be one of the top 3 programs in the WCC, and would probably rip thru the WCC, and probably make the NCAA tourney.

And as far as what you said about Smith, WSU not doing a contract extension, it's obvious that you didn't listen to the audio link, interview, etc, where Smith said he was extremely close to a extension, because despite saying that they would table it until later, Smith said that WSU, Schultz, Smith have been busy working on, hammering out, cobbling together a extension deal, because WSU, Schultz, Chun, etc, really want Smith to stay, and Smith really wants to do an extension, stay, loves WSU, Pullman, etc.

Smith said that.

I'm not worried about Stanford getting Smith.

Either Stanford hires other possible candidates, etc, or Smith either stays at WSU for at least another season, or if he does leave, he gets a better job then Stanford, goes somewhere else, instead of going to stanford.
The 3 sources I posted were from ESPN, Sports Illustrated, and 24/7. Of course at this point it all is basically speculation from experts using various sources. The Seatle Times article about the UW job is no more credible, hell isn’t it you who always slams the west coast/ PAC 12 media for being uninformed?

Smith might very well be inline for a better job than Stanford but most would consider Stanford a better job than WSU. The question is whether Smith would prefer it or not.

As far as WSU and Smith trying to has out an extension, I’m not privy to what’s going on but it sure seems like Smith is using this year as leverage against WSU to get an improved contract. Which is all standard par for the course stuff. We have know idea what is being asked for or offered by WSU or any other school who jumps in the mix.

Hi guys, Ben Parker from the Stanford site here. I haven’t received hard confirmation that Kyle Smith will for sure be the one Stanford hires to replace Jerod Haase. That said, everything I’ve been hearing (so far) points to Smith being the front runner for the job.

A source I have who has been tremendously helpful has heard from a couple different places that Smith to Stanford seems like a done deal. A “less reliable source” of theirs had heard he had been offered the Stanford job. This was as of a few days ago. I checked with them an hour ago and nothing new on their end.

So, all signs point to Smith being the front runner for the Stanford job. If I had to guess, I would say it’s probably gonna be him who Stanford hires. But, things can always change and until it gets officially announced, there’s a chance things go in a different direction. I’ll let you guys know if I hear anything more.

Sorry for not swinging by sooner!

Hi guys, Ben Parker from the Stanford site here. I haven’t received hard confirmation that Kyle Smith will for sure be the one Stanford hires to replace Jerod Haase. That said, everything I’ve been hearing (so far) points to Smith being the front runner for the job.

A source I have who has been tremendously helpful has heard from a couple different places that Smith to Stanford seems like a done deal. A “less reliable source” of theirs had heard he had been offered the Stanford job. This was as of a few days ago. I checked with them an hour ago and nothing new on their end.

So, all signs point to Smith being the front runner for the Stanford job. If I had to guess, I would say it’s probably gonna be him who Stanford hires. But, things can always change and until it gets officially announced, there’s a chance things go in a different direction. I’ll let you guys know if I hear anything more.

Sorry for not swinging by sooner!

Your probably the rumored, supposed Stanford Site Admin, that the rumor, speculation in the other thread was about, saying that a rumored, speculative, supposed source supposedly has Smith as the front runner, and that he was supposedly offered, interviewed by Stanford.

I'm not saying that's wrong per se, and may even be right, as it wouldn't surprise me, but as you said, there hasn't been anything OFFICIAL from Stanford, on, about this, so because of that, this is rumor, speculation, etc, until OFFICIAL word from Stanford comes out.

But even if Stanford were to have offered Smith, I still don't see Smith taking the offer, or if he does, it would probably be a bad decision.

Stanford doesn't have a lot of money that it spends on athletics. It has a BIG endowment, that's spent on ACADEMICS.

Stanford has EXTREMELY STRICT ADMISSION STANDARDS, that makes it hard to recruit, get athletes, win, etc.

And Stanford does not get transfers from Transfer Portal, and does not get JC transfers.

And Stanford gets raided by transfer portal, NIL, etc, without the ability to recoup what lost via Transfer Portal, JC ranks, etc.

And since Stanford is in ACC, which is going to FALL APART, on Smith's head, if he goes to stanford and leave him stranded without a Power Conference, if he goes to Stanford.

And since Stanford is in the most expensive area to live in the USA.

And since Stanford would probably have unrealistic expectations, demands, fire Smith, etc, in about 1,2,3 years.

And since, no offense intended, Smith can EASILY get a better job then Stanford(Like the UCLA job, if Louisville hires Mik Cronin, and then if UCLA, were to offer Smith)

And most of Stanford's Glory years were because of Coach Montgomery, etc.

Stanford hasn't had a lot of good coaches, and has had a lot of semi bad to just barely below average, semi average, semi ok, semi decent, semi mediocre coaches, since Montgomery, that have quit, gotten fired, haven't lasted long, etc.

And because of that, Stanford just isn't the program that it used to be under HC Montgomery.

It just doesn't pass the logical, reasonable, makes sense, smell test, etc, for Smith to goto Stanford, Altho it makes sense for Stanford to offer Smith.

And that why Smith probably won't goto Stanford.

Or if he does goto Stanford, it would probably be a bad decision.

And because of that, I'm not worried about Smith supposedly going to Stanford.

But we will have to wait and see.

Last edited:
Well let's look at some facts about smith
Who I don't know personally but was able to meet him briefly while he was at USF.
Smith hasn't made a BAD decision since he left coloumbia he won at USF he won at Washington state which some people said at the time was a bad job so if he does
Decide to take a different coaching job
Why would it be a bad decision if said
University is going to give him the resources to be able to recruit and compete
At the highest level. Some of you may not know standford is its own little city the entire basketball staff lives directly on the campus is separate housing quarters which
Are very nice if you are not paying for housing in California it's makes the tax hit
Way more easy to deal with I'm not saying what he should or shouldn't do but he hasn't made a bad decision so far In his
Coaching journey.

Well let's look at some facts about smith
Who I don't know personally but was able to meet him briefly while he was at USF.
Smith hasn't made a BAD decision since he left coloumbia he won at USF he won at Washington state which some people said at the time was a bad job so if he does
Decide to take a different coaching job
Why would it be a bad decision if said
University is going to give him the resources to be able to recruit and compete
At the highest level. Some of you may not know standford is its own little city the entire basketball staff lives directly on the campus is separate housing quarters which
Are very nice if you are not paying for housing in California it's makes the tax hit
Way more easy to deal with I'm not saying what he should or shouldn't do but he hasn't made a bad decision so far In his
Coaching journey.
You don’t need to convince anyone here. It’s basically 50% who are doing everything they can to pick apart why he wouldn’t leave, and 50% who understand there’s not a lot of reasons outside of community and maybe a few players, that he wouldn’t. You offer me a 100% raise and upgrades for my staff and players, well yeah. Don’t know what he’ll do but I know what would be enticing to me on the back end of a career, especially given some of the ancillary stuff with his family and Stanfords medical support.

It's being reported everywhere that Coach Smith has accepted the Stanford job. I think in the end, it will be a mistake. I think I read where aside from Cal, their closest conference team is Louisville. They are going to rack up so many miles

I'm going to wait to see how this played out, but if we didn't offer him at least $2.5 million to stay, I'm going to walk away from WSU as a "diehard" fan. There's no point in investing financially and emotionally into a program that isn't willing to fight to stay relevant. That goes for football too. I'll watch the Cougs but I'm not going to worry about it.

I'm glad that I went to the tournament this last weekend. I'll probably be dead before we make another one.

I'm going to wait to see how this played out, but if we didn't offer him at least $2.5 million to stay, I'm going to walk away from WSU as a "diehard" fan. There's no point in investing financially and emotionally into a program that isn't willing to fight to stay relevant. That goes for football too. I'll watch the Cougs but I'm not going to worry about it.

I'm glad that I went to the tournament this last weekend. I'll probably be dead before we make another one.
Unfortunately, this is coming at a time when there is so much uncertainty with WSU athletics as a whole with the implosion of the P12. There is an expensive arms race, and we don't have the arms to fight on the level that is needed.

If he dies, he dies.

Don’t fall in love with a dreamer, he’ll always break your heart.

Unfortunately, this is coming at a time when there is so much uncertainty with WSU athletics as a whole with the implosion of the P12. There is an expensive arms race, and we don't have the arms to fight on the level that is needed.

What is deeply frustrating about all of this is that multiple Iowa State fans in Omaha said that they had hoped that we would have been invited to the Big 12. We are getting ready to enter into a serious dark age in WSU sports. I kind of knew it was coming, but the naive, hopeful part of me was willing to live in the delusion that we could offer Smith enough to stay at WSU for a couple more years while we figured things out.

Reactions: ATACFD
Andrejek is on the top of my list
Followed by Riley
Might give a guy like Mark Few a look too. Hear he’s ok

Easier said than done giving up something you love

AD Chun reeled in Smitty and promoted CJD. His track record is pretty darn good.

Give Mr. Chun time to pivot and find WSU another outstanding coach, especially since he's got a leg up with all the additional NIL funds and and commitments to the men's basketball program.

Hang in there Flat

Mark Few? Why would he even begin to look at WSU?

One of the guys on ESPN said last week said Few might feel like he's done everything he can do at Gonzaga and people might take the success for granted.

Seems like a reach, especially now with the Zags back in the Sweet 16

Easier said than done giving up something you love

AD Chun reeled in Smitty and promoted CJD. His track record is pretty darn good.

Give Mr. Chun time to pivot and find WSU another outstanding coach, especially since he's got a leg up with all the additional NIL funds and and commitments to the men's basketball program.

Hang in there Flat

Most of my comment hinges on the part of "what did we do to try to keep Smith". If Smith is going to get $3.5 million per year at Stanford....there's probably nothing that we could have done. If it comes out that he is going to be making around $2.5 million and that we didn't try to match the offer, I'm done as a serious fan. If we did everything we could...that's different.

Most of my comment hinges on the part of "what did we do to try to keep Smith". If Smith is going to get $3.5 million per year at Stanford....there's probably nothing that we could have done. If it comes out that he is going to be making around $2.5 million and that we didn't try to match the offer, I'm done as a serious fan. If we did everything we could...that's different.
My guess is he making more than 3.5

More than fair reaction.

Pres. Schultz has said on more than one occasion that WSU will continue to spend like a P5 program as long as he's in charge

I imagine this is not coming as a huge surprise for Chun. Hopefully we have a candidate or two in mind. Quick hire might help mitigate some of the inevitable portal losses. It would not surprise me if most of our guys are in the portal by the end of the week. You can’t blame them for seeing what’s out there as far as opportunities.

I imagine this is not coming as a huge surprise for Chun. Hopefully we have a candidate or two in mind. Quick hire might help mitigate some of the inevitable portal losses. It would not surprise me if most of our guys are in the portal by the end of the week. You can’t blame them for seeing what’s out there as far as opportunities.

Are any of our current assistants likely candidates? MSU promoted Izzo years ago...the Zags did the same with Few...just a thought..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT