ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Smith

What is deeply frustrating about all of this is that multiple Iowa State fans in Omaha said that they had hoped that we would have been invited to the Big 12. We are getting ready to enter into a serious dark age in WSU sports. I kind of knew it was coming, but the naive, hopeful part of me was willing to live in the delusion that we could offer Smith enough to stay at WSU for a couple more years while we figured things out.
Eh. We are a baseball school

Reactions: kougkurt
Your probably the rumored, supposed Stanford Site Admin, that the rumor, speculation in the other thread was about, saying that a rumored, speculative, supposed source supposedly has Smith as the front runner, and that he was supposedly offered, interviewed by Stanford.

I'm not saying that's wrong per se, and may even be right, as it wouldn't surprise me, but as you said, there hasn't been anything OFFICIAL from Stanford, on, about this, so because of that, this is rumor, speculation, etc, until OFFICIAL word from Stanford comes out.

But even if Stanford were to have offered Smith, I still don't see Smith taking the offer, or if he does, it would probably be a bad decision.

Stanford doesn't have a lot of money that it spends on athletics. It has a BIG endowment, that's spent on ACADEMICS.

Stanford has EXTREMELY STRICT ADMISSION STANDARDS, that makes it hard to recruit, get athletes, win, etc.

And Stanford does not get transfers from Transfer Portal, and does not get JC transfers.

And Stanford gets raided by transfer portal, NIL, etc, without the ability to recoup what lost via Transfer Portal, JC ranks, etc.

And since Stanford is in ACC, which is going to FALL APART, on Smith's head, if he goes to stanford and leave him stranded without a Power Conference, if he goes to Stanford.

And since Stanford is in the most expensive area to live in the USA.

And since Stanford would probably have unrealistic expectations, demands, fire Smith, etc, in about 1,2,3 years.

And since, no offense intended, Smith can EASILY get a better job then Stanford(Like the UCLA job, if Louisville hires Mik Cronin, and then if UCLA, were to offer Smith)

And most of Stanford's Glory years were because of Coach Montgomery, etc.

Stanford hasn't had a lot of good coaches, and has had a lot of semi bad to just barely below average, semi average, semi ok, semi decent, semi mediocre coaches, since Montgomery, that have quit, gotten fired, haven't lasted long, etc.

And because of that, Stanford just isn't the program that it used to be under HC Montgomery.

It just doesn't pass the logical, reasonable, makes sense, smell test, etc, for Smith to goto Stanford, Altho it makes sense for Stanford to offer Smith.

And that why Smith probably won't goto Stanford.

Or if he does goto Stanford, it would probably be a bad decision.

And because of that, I'm not worried about Smith supposedly going to Stanford.

But we will have to wait and see.
This didn’t age well Mik

Are any of our current assistants likely candidates? MSU promoted Izzo years ago...the Zags did the same with Few...just a thought..
When Raveling left, WSU promoted his assistant Len Stevens. That was a disaster. When Stevens left, WSU promoted his assistant, Kelvin Sampson. That was a success. I would like to see them promote Coach Shaw. He is 60 years old. He has been successful everywhere he has coached. I don't think he would jump at the next chance to leave.

Reactions: mikalalas
When Raveling left, WSU promoted his assistant Len Stevens. That was a disaster. When Stevens left, WSU promoted his assistant, Kelvin Sampson. That was a success. I would like to see them promote Coach Shaw. He is 60 years old. He has been successful everywhere he has coached. I don't think he would jump at the next chance to leave.
If you are looking for someone that wouldn't jump at the next chance to leave then take a look at Dan Monson. He is that same age group as Shaw and has had some success in that part of the NW. Went to HS in Moscow so he knows the area. Might be good to keep until he retires just until WSU can figure out where it's going to park it's basketball program. He isn't going to break the budget either. Just a thought.

I like that idea, too, but I wonder if he'll likely go with Smith? Guess we'll just have to wait and see..

Not everyone relishes the idea of living in the Bay Area, for a multitude of reasons.
Unfortunately not everyone wants to live in Pullman either. My wife is also a WSU alumni and I can’t get her to consider retiring there.lol
I’m definitely not against giving Jim Shaw a chance but I’d like to see what kind of interest we get from others first.

Another name I would like to see considered is Bryce Drew.

Reactions: PeteTheChop
A couple of random names that I would consider include Eric Henderson at South Dakota State (a disciple of Otzelberger of Iowa State) and John Groce at Akron, who has coached at Illinois and Ohio with success. Both guys have taken their teams to the NCAA Tournament multiple times. I have no idea if they would ever leave the Midwest, but you never know. There are also a couple of highly touted assistant coaches in highly touted programs I'd look at: Ryan Miller at Creighton (a fantastic recruiter) and Paul Lusk at Purdue (who also had success as a HC at Missouri State), and, of course, John Andrzejek at Florida who knows WSU quite well and recruited a lot of the current players. Matt Logie did a nice job at Montana State this year getting the Bobcats into the Tournament after Danny Sprinkle took a couple of their best players with him to Utah State....and Logie knows Eastern Washington well after coaching at Whitworth for several years. Don't know if he'd leave Bozeman after just one year. The last name on my current list is Wyoming's Jeff Linder, who did well initially in Laramie but has struggled the past two years.

Reactions: PeteTheChop
Kyle Smith is a scum bag for talking to Stanford while in the tourney.

I don't like it, never liked it, it's scummy and a trash way of handling things. Wait till it's over and coach your ass off, it's not just for you as a coach it's for all your players and assistants too. Talking to another school HAS to have an effect on your coaching skills when you know you're leaving.

I’d like to see the next young hot shot phenom that needs 3 consecutive ncaa appearances to get his next gig

Kyle Smith is a scum bag for talking to Stanford while in the tourney.

I don't like it, never liked it, it's scummy and a trash way of handling things. Wait till it's over and coach your ass off, it's not just for you as a coach it's for all your players and assistants too. Talking to another school HAS to have an effect on your coaching skills when you know you're leaving.

Meh.....I'll never root for Kyle Smith again....but I'm not mad at him. He did a great job of keeping things quiet where it wasn't an obvious distraction. These days, that's all you can ask for.

Your probably the rumored, supposed Stanford Site Admin, that the rumor, speculation in the other thread was about, saying that a rumored, speculative, supposed source supposedly has Smith as the front runner, and that he was supposedly offered, interviewed by Stanford.

I'm not saying that's wrong per se, and may even be right, as it wouldn't surprise me, but as you said, there hasn't been anything OFFICIAL from Stanford, on, about this, so because of that, this is rumor, speculation, etc, until OFFICIAL word from Stanford comes out.

But even if Stanford were to have offered Smith, I still don't see Smith taking the offer, or if he does, it would probably be a bad decision.

Stanford doesn't have a lot of money that it spends on athletics. It has a BIG endowment, that's spent on ACADEMICS.

Stanford has EXTREMELY STRICT ADMISSION STANDARDS, that makes it hard to recruit, get athletes, win, etc.

And Stanford does not get transfers from Transfer Portal, and does not get JC transfers.

And Stanford gets raided by transfer portal, NIL, etc, without the ability to recoup what lost via Transfer Portal, JC ranks, etc.

And since Stanford is in ACC, which is going to FALL APART, on Smith's head, if he goes to stanford and leave him stranded without a Power Conference, if he goes to Stanford.

And since Stanford is in the most expensive area to live in the USA.

And since Stanford would probably have unrealistic expectations, demands, fire Smith, etc, in about 1,2,3 years.

And since, no offense intended, Smith can EASILY get a better job then Stanford(Like the UCLA job, if Louisville hires Mik Cronin, and then if UCLA, were to offer Smith)

And most of Stanford's Glory years were because of Coach Montgomery, etc.

Stanford hasn't had a lot of good coaches, and has had a lot of semi bad to just barely below average, semi average, semi ok, semi decent, semi mediocre coaches, since Montgomery, that have quit, gotten fired, haven't lasted long, etc.

And because of that, Stanford just isn't the program that it used to be under HC Montgomery.

It just doesn't pass the logical, reasonable, makes sense, smell test, etc, for Smith to goto Stanford, Altho it makes sense for Stanford to offer Smith.

And that why Smith probably won't goto Stanford.

Or if he does goto Stanford, it would probably be a bad decision.

And because of that, I'm not worried about Smith supposedly going to Stanford.

But we will have to wait and see.
Well, Smith ended up going to Stanford. Became official today. Stanford announced it. So I was the Stanford site admin you guys were referring to? I should clarify, at least at the time that I was told Smith was offered the Stanford job, my source(s) did make it clear to me that their source for that was not as reliable. The part about Smith having been offered. That said, my source(s) did make it clear that everything they heard was nothing but Kyle Smith. There were rumors of Matt Langel of Colgate possibly being the front runner, but my guys were steadfast in believing it was Smith. In the end, it looks like my reporting was correct and my source(s) were accurate in what the were telling me.

But none of this is toot my own horn or anything. You are correct that until ink hits the paper and the school officially announces, you don't know for certain what will happen. What made me feel confident it would come through for Stanford and Smith is I had heard Smith wanted to find a new job and stay at the power five level all while liking his time in the Bay Area and wanting to return there. He just seemed like a good fit for Stanford. It'll be interesting to see how he does on The Farm and also who Washington State hires to replace him.

Well, Smith ended up going to Stanford. Became official today. Stanford announced it. So I was the Stanford site admin you guys were referring to? I should clarify, at least at the time that I was told Smith was offered the Stanford job, my source(s) did make it clear to me that their source for that was not as reliable. The part about Smith having been offered. That said, my source(s) did make it clear that everything they heard was nothing but Kyle Smith. There were rumors of Matt Langel of Colgate possibly being the front runner, but my guys were steadfast in believing it was Smith. In the end, it looks like my reporting was correct and my source(s) were accurate in what the were telling me.

But none of this is toot my own horn or anything. You are correct that until ink hits the paper and the school officially announces, you don't know for certain what will happen. What made me feel confident it would come through for Stanford and Smith is I had heard Smith wanted to find a new job and stay at the power five level all while liking his time in the Bay Area and wanting to return there. He just seemed like a good fit for Stanford. It'll be interesting to see how he does on The Farm and also who Washington State hires to replace him.
go away.

respectfully.

A couple of random names that I would consider include Eric Henderson at South Dakota State (a disciple of Otzelberger of Iowa State) and John Groce at Akron, who has coached at Illinois and Ohio with success. Both guys have taken their teams to the NCAA Tournament multiple times. I have no idea if they would ever leave the Midwest, but you never know. There are also a couple of highly touted assistant coaches in highly touted programs I'd look at: Ryan Miller at Creighton (a fantastic recruiter) and Paul Lusk at Purdue (who also had success as a HC at Missouri State), and, of course, John Andrzejek at Florida who knows WSU quite well and recruited a lot of the current players. Matt Logie did a nice job at Montana State this year getting the Bobcats into the Tournament after Danny Sprinkle took a couple of their best players with him to Utah State....and Logie knows Eastern Washington well after coaching at Whitworth for several years. Don't know if he'd leave Bozeman after just one year. The last name on my current list is Wyoming's Jeff Linder, who did well initially in Laramie but has struggled the past two years.

GOOD God, NO to John Groce. If he couldn't recruit to CU he sure as hell can't recruit to Pullman.

Well let's look at some facts about smith
Who I don't know personally but was able to meet him briefly while he was at USF.
Smith hasn't made a BAD decision since he left coloumbia he won at USF he won at Washington state which some people said at the time was a bad job so if he does
Decide to take a different coaching job
Why would it be a bad decision if said
University is going to give him the resources to be able to recruit and compete
At the highest level. Some of you may not know standford is its own little city the entire basketball staff lives directly on the campus is separate housing quarters which
Are very nice if you are not paying for housing in California it's makes the tax hit
Way more easy to deal with I'm not saying what he should or shouldn't do but he hasn't made a bad decision so far In his
Coaching journey.

There are EASILY BETTER JOBS THEN STANFORD, THAT SMITH CAN EASILY GET.

THATS WHY IT WOULD BE A BAD DECISION

Now I will believe it. That's official sounding.

Still a mistake. Hope he enjoys the ACC falling apart on, over his head, and being stranded again without a Power Conference.

Hope he enjoys recruits not being able to make it in because of Stanfords extreme admission standards.

Hope he enjoys not being able to get transfers from Transfer Portal, JC ranks, etc.

Hope he enjoys learning about the BETTER jobs he could have had at UCLA, USC, etc.

Oh well, time to promote JIM SHAW.

At least Chun, Schultz better promote Jim Shaw, as that's the only way WSU keeps players, and because of Jim Shaws awesome coaching history, skills, etc.

Andrejek is on the top of my list
Followed by Riley
Might give a guy like Mark Few a look too. Hear he’s ok

Jim Shaw or BUST.

AWESOME RECRUITER, ASSISTANT COACH, ASSISTANT HEAD COACH, HEAD COACH, AWESOME SKILLS, HISTORY, EXPERIENCE, AND ONLY CHANCE TO KEEP CURRENT WSU PLAYERS.

Smith is NOT going to either be at the Power Conference level or won't stay at that level, by going to Stanford, as the ACC will FALL TO PIECES ON STANFORD, SMITH, AND STANFORD, SMITH WILL BE STRANDED WITHOUT, OUTSIDE OF A POWER CONFERENCE.

Smith is NOT going to either be at the Power Conference level or won't stay at that level, by going to Stanford, as the ACC will FALL TO PIECES ON STANFORD, SMITH, AND STANFORD, SMITH WILL BE STRANDED WITHOUT, OUTSIDE OF A POWER CONFERENCE.
So the possibility Stanford “might” not be in a power conference in two years is a reason to stay but the fact WSU is not going to be in a power conference for sure isn’t considered a reason to leave? Stanford will always find a home no matter what. The realignment will continue and Stanford will always be more sought after than WSU it sucks but that is simply the reality. WSU and OSU were left behind for a reason.

GOOD God, NO to John Groce. If he couldn't recruit to CU he sure as hell can't recruit to Pullman.
CU? Which school is that? Groce has been head coach at Ohio, Illinois, and now Akron. I'm not aware of him not being able to recruit, but maybe you know something I don't. He's taken his teams to 5 NCAA Tournaments (would've been 6 if not for Covid) and has a winning percentage of .602. Despite the fact that Groce was an assistant coach at Ohio State while Chun was there, I'm pretty sure WSU won't be looking at him but he's worthy of consideration, IMO.

Glad Cougar

Reactions: 78Chief
So the possibility Stanford “might” not be in a power conference in two years is a reason to stay but the fact WSU is not going to be in a power conference for sure isn’t considered a reason to leave? Stanford will always find a home no matter what. The realignment will continue and Stanford will always be more sought after than WSU it sucks but that is simply the reality. WSU and OSU were left behind for a reason.
You are arguing with the wrong cat. At some point you will look at your reflection in the screen and ask, “wtf is going on here”. If I’m not mistaken Mik has actually had threads where he started arguing against himself in his own posts.

Smith made the right choice. And everyone seems to be forgetting that he has a non verbal son with autism who will now be closer to the best center for autism research in the U.S. He will have more money to set up care. Etc.

You are arguing with the wrong cat. At some point you will look at your reflection in the screen and ask, “wtf is going on here”. If I’m not mistaken Mik has actually had threads where he started arguing against himself in his own posts.

Smith made the right choice. And everyone seems to be forgetting that he has a non verbal son with autism who will now be closer to the best center for autism research in the U.S. He will have more money to set up care. Etc.
I know I should know better 😀

CU? Which school is that? Groce has been head coach at Ohio, Illinois, and now Akron. I'm not aware of him not being able to recruit, but maybe you know something I don't. He's taken his teams to 5 NCAA Tournaments (would've been 6 if not for Covid) and has a winning percentage of .602. Despite the fact that Groce was an assistant coach at Ohio State while Chun was there, I'm pretty sure WSU won't be looking at him but he's worthy of consideration, IMO.

Glad Cougar
Sorry--Champaign-Urbana, where Illinois is located. Yes, he was our head coach but wasn't able to have significant, sustained success and granted, he inherited a mess from Bruce Weber, who had guided the Illini to their one appearance in the NC title game. But he couldn't recruit and program went straight downhill. So, UI turned to Groce . He did quite well at Ohio and Akron, but couldn't cut it at a Power 5 program.

Sorry--Champaign-Urbana, where Illinois is located. Yes, he was our head coach but wasn't able to have significant, sustained success and granted, he inherited a mess from Bruce Weber, who had guided the Illini to their one appearance in the NC title game. But he couldn't recruit and program went straight downhill. So, UI turned to Groce . He did quite well at Ohio and Akron, but couldn't cut it at a Power 5 program.
Gotcha. When I saw CU, I was thinking Colorado University? The Illini seem to have found the right coach in Brad Underwood. That's a loaded team this year. I was hoping the Cougars would get by Iowa State and get a chance to play Illinois. Not meant to be.

Glad Cougar

But none of this is toot my own horn or anything

Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Anybody know if there was a buyout clause for Smith and, if so, how much? I thought his contract ran through 2026, but not sure.

Glad Cougar

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT