ADVERTISEMENT

Darcel McBath

I like this. He was learning from Grinch. He was in the NFL. He's young so recruiting will be covered. Obviously he's OK with Claeys, as he's being announced AFTER Claeys. Man, CML knows how to build...

Looks like a solid hire. Once he develops his contacts, should be a great recruiter. I hope he stays longer than the other two coaches promoted by Leach.

I hope his personality has some similarities with Manning. That works in Manning's former recruiting territory, and it will be important for WSU to do well there. The NFL experience probably means that he understands how to coach the DB's. And the history with Leach will definitely help him contribute and if necessary "re-interpret" Leach's words to others.

I would still like for WSU to add Cory Hall from Oregon State to the Cougar coaching staff. He did a great job with the Beavers and those kids played hard for him.

Reactions: M-I-Coug
Is that why Oregon State cut him loose?

In both of Leach's defensive hires he went with known vs. unknown. He has one more hire to make. Is it going to be another secondary coach or an outside linebacker coach? If he stays with what we had, it would be an outside linebacker type coach. I have all the confidence in the world that McBath will be a great recruiter. He was a great hire.

Perhaps he can hire a O line coach and move the current one to special teams or something like that,

Perhaps he can hire a O line coach and move the current one to special teams or something like that,

I have been reading your posts for years. I do not understand your problem with our offensive line coach. He is working with what he has. As recruiting gets better, so will the line. He is assisted by a GA, also.

I have been reading your posts for years. I do not understand your problem with our offensive line coach. He is working with what he has. As recruiting gets better, so will the line. He is assisted by a GA, also.

No more Falk to kick around.

I am amused as the number of posters glorifying Falk far outnumbered my view of Falk, His performance or rather lack of performance in big games speaks for itself. The O line coach with a large number of recruits ,the sheer size and talent of the players shows a under performing line. People used to swear by" Big Joe",who is a great recruiter and an average D line coach. Phelps raised the level of play with a sparse thin corps of linemen. I would love to see what a good to great O line coach would do with the material now available.Hell, a few posters here with far more knowledge of O line play speak of ways the O line play can be improved. The O linemen have to function as a unit,they do not do so when different defensive strategies are employed by other teams. I can only look at tapes and see what happens on the field. What technique and strategies to correct is admittedly beyond my scope of knowledge.The opposing defensive coaches currently make hash of the huge talented coug corps of O linemen

I am amused as the number of posters glorifying Falk far outnumbered my view of Falk, His performance or rather lack of performance in big games speaks for itself. The O line coach with a large number of recruits ,the sheer size and talent of the players shows a under performing line. People used to swear by" Big Joe",who is a great recruiter and an average D line coach. Phelps raised the level of play with a sparse thin corps of linemen. I would love to see what a good to great O line coach would do with the material now available.Hell, a few posters here with far more knowledge of O line play speak of ways the O line play can be improved. The O linemen have to function as a unit,they do not do so when different defensive strategies are employed by other teams. I can only look at tapes and see what happens on the field. What technique and strategies to correct is admittedly beyond my scope of knowledge.The opposing defensive coaches currently make hash of the huge talented coug corps of O linemen

I am amused by your way of thinking. It appears that you seem to think that you know more than Coach Leach.

Reactions: Tx64
So was part of Luke Falk's lack of performance attributed to offensive line play or did both QB and OL suck? If that's the case, how the hell did this team spend nearly all of the year in the top 20? Must've been Alex Grinch's defense alone.

Glad Cougar

Reactions: Tx64
I like this. He was learning from Grinch. He was in the NFL. He's young so recruiting will be covered. Obviously he's OK with Claeys, as he's being announced AFTER Claeys. Man, CML knows how to build...

Pippins likes this hire......a lot

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/wsu-cougar-football/as-he-preps-for-tropical-bowl-former-wsu-cb-marcellus-pippins-says-cougars-dbs-will-benefit-from-darcel-mcbaths-coaching/

Pippins also had high praise for Darcel McBath, who helped Alex Grinch coach the cornerbacks as a defensive quality control assistant last season, and was just promoted to full time assistant coach this week. McBath will likely oversee the defensive backs.

“He’s gonna be all over the place. You’re gonna notice the competitiveness all year because of McBath being an assistant coach,” Pippins said. “There’s gonna be a big difference with him being out there. He’s kinda like me, but older and wiser, with a lot of energy.”
“Coach McBath is super cool, just coming off the NFL and he played in the Super Bowl. He had a whole bunch of stories for us,” Pippins said. “McBath was really focused on us. Just getting our techniques right, and us being the best. That was a big deal for us – having him come with his energy.

“McBath gave coach Grinch the opportunity to focus on the defense and on schemes. Coach McBath knew the DB drills because he played, and he played with Leach in college so he knew all the practices and stuff and how it all went.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT