ADVERTISEMENT

Doesn’t seem like much of a solution…

Would be tough to decide which system is easier to abuse.

Seems like all it does is let schools cut out the middle man.

Third, a subdivision comprised of institutions with the highest resources to invest in their student-athletes should be required to do two things:
• Within the framework of Title IX, invest at least $30,000 per year into an enhanced educational trust fund for at least half of the institution's eligible student-athletes.
• Commit to work with their peer institutions in this subdivision to create rules that may differ from the rules in place for the rest of Division I. Those rules could include a wide range of policies, such as scholarship commitment and roster size, recruitment, transfers or NIL.

They're dumping scholarships though, right? At least for football? Can we just end the charade once and for all? Get rid of academics completely for athletes as a requirement of participation.

They're dumping scholarships though, right? At least for football? Can we just end the charade once and for all? Get rid of academics completely for athletes as a requirement of participation.
Don't be silly. Even though the "student-athletes" don't seem to recognize the value of a free education.

This isn't a workable option. If NIL is managed by schools, it's subject to Title IX, so NIL funds would have to be directed in equal amounts to womens' and mens' sports. The market demand model followed by entities outside of the university is no longer relevant.

Second problem...depending on state laws, the athletes would be being paid by the university to provide a service. In other words, they're employees (This actually probably would not apply in Washington - although the existing definition doesn't really describe this situation very well). This might make them subject to payroll taxes, eligible for benefits, and subject to workers' compensation plans...and it would create varying requirements in different states.

Besides...does this mean now they're getting paid by the schools AND by other entities? This will widen the gap even further.

And, here's a new one to ponder - say you have a star QB at WSU. What's to stop the Seahawks from making an NIL deal with that kid in his junior season? He's not getting paid to play for them, he's not signing with an agent. He's just signing to be on a billboard - maybe a "coming soon" ad? They'll give him a $3M NIL deal...all he has to do is agree that he won't play for any other NFL team. Then he can pull a John Elway and announce before the draft that he won't sign with anyone else.

Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG
Something like that is already going on. See the BSU player who hung it up for a nil deal midseason.

The billions in television revenue, is he proposing sharing that with the player too ?

One of the reasons Harbaugh is being purged, he keeps talking about the NCAA/ESPN sharing some of that revenue with the players.

The billions in television revenue, is he proposing sharing that with the player too ?

One of the reasons Harbaugh is being purged, he keeps talking about the NCAA/ESPN sharing some of that revenue with the players.
This is so insane. Someone less lazy than me recap the last 40 years. SMU gets the death penalty for having a slush fund for FB players. Free shoes university at Florida State. Flash forward to allegations of cash in coffee cups at muttville. All the time, no no and no to players getting some sort of pizza money stipend.

Then the wheels come off. Thanks NCAA and the F-ing Supreme Court of corrupt F-ers like Clarence Thomas. Talk about someone who should be taken out to rural E. Washington and shot. Along with his gross pig wife. Right near the proposed solar farm that the Yakima County Commissioners are blocking because of the "agricultural implications". In the middle of nowhere, where the only things growing are sagebrush and rattlesnakes. Maybe a few rabbits. I like rabbits - they taste like chicken. Like everything else.

Oh but while we are at it with the electric car mandate let's rip out all the dams!

We are so f-ed. Much as I love my two kids and now two grandbabies, At times I wish I had never brought them into this world of ours.

Semi related absurdity on the part of the NCAA - Kelvin Sampson was treated like a pedophile for texting recruits too often.

Reactions: Cougini5591
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT