ADVERTISEMENT

Geezus - another mass shooting, this time UNLV

Loyal Coug1

Hall Of Fame
Aug 24, 2022
3 plus dead. On campus. The news report said it was the 80th college shooting this year. After the very recent Austin, TX shooting that killed 6, although that was off campus. I did contact my son who lives down there to confirm that he was alive.

I don't know about the rest here, but I spend way too much time reading the news, and sports. This retirement, and no current woman (working on that), gives me way too much idle time. And no f-ing way am I getting into my camper before spring.

But the news is so horrible. The Gaza Hamas atrocities', poor Ukraine getting their cities wiped out, on and on.

A lot of people I converse with don't even read the news and have no clue what's going on in the county, state, country or world. How the F do you do that? Or not in this case. Oh but let the stupid punk students protest against Israel. stupid little F-s.

Last edited:
Don't get lured in. Mass media feeds us an endless cycle of bad news to help make sure we've got something to be afraid of.

As far as shootings, they're very flexible with what their definitions are in order to give us big numbers of campus shootings, mass shootings, etc. They don't seem to recognize that continuing to report on them feeds into their frequency.

Don't get lured in. Mass media feeds us an endless cycle of bad news to help make sure we've got something to be afraid of.

As far as shootings, they're very flexible with what their definitions are in order to give us big numbers of campus shootings, mass shootings, etc. They don't seem to recognize that continuing to report on them feeds into their frequency.
Appreciate that sentiment, but biased as the news may be you don't just fabricate mass shootings in the US. Atrocities in other countries, maybe.

Over here, people get shot and die. A 1 year old in a recent one. Sensationalize all you want, but this shit is happening. Constantly. So I really don't follow your point. Mass media gives us something to be afraid of? How the F can you say that they are flexible about how many people got killed? What, they make it up? Oh yeah, it wasn't really 58 people murdered in Vegas a while back, it was a pigeon and 3 rabbits?

Reactions: longtimecoug
Ki

kind of like 3 shot on Chicagos south side is the most peaceful night of the year, but gets no news coverage.

Ki

kind of like 3 shot on Chicagos south side is the most peaceful night of the year, but gets no news coverage.
What? WTF is your point? 3 killed in Chicago relates to what in Vegas or Austin or anywhere else? Oh so they didn't cover the constant Chicago killings enough? That place is a killing field and has been for what, 100 years? As opposed to the rest of the US where innocent people are getting killed all the time? You people slay me.

Reactions: longtimecoug
You all can both be right. Yes medias job is to sell news and get viewers. Scary stuff does that. We get it.

And yes there’s a sickening amount of gun violence here. No way around it. It’s really sad when you see news like this and think to yourself…At least this one was only a few people. Mass shootings too often means 10, 15+ people shot. That’s where we are as a country.

You all can both be right. Yes medias job is to sell news and get viewers. Scary stuff does that. We get it.

And yes there’s a sickening amount of gun violence here. No way around it. It’s really sad when you see news like this and think to yourself…At least this one was only a few people. Mass shootings too often means 10, 15+ people shot. That’s where we are as a country.
Fair enough. Time to log off and go to bed. Just f-ing hits me hard when I see this shit. And the R debates, I didn't even read that crap. As I think I posted before, and have told my children, kinda wish I had never brought them into this world.

Appreciate that sentiment, but biased as the news may be you don't just fabricate mass shootings in the US. Atrocities in other countries, maybe.

Over here, people get shot and die. A 1 year old in a recent one. Sensationalize all you want, but this shit is happening. Constantly. So I really don't follow your point. Mass media gives us something to be afraid of? How the F can you say that they are flexible about how many people got killed? What, they make it up? Oh yeah, it wasn't really 58 people murdered in Vegas a while back, it was a pigeon and 3 rabbits?

Lots of people won’t get until ”it” happens to their family.

Yes, that is exactly what they do - fabricate.

Did you know that any shooting involving more that two victims is used for that statistic, including youth oriented gang activity? Or a murder suicide? Does that make these gun crimes any less significant? Of course not, but don't just believe what your being told because it's on the TV. Go do some research on mass shooting statistics ( real research, a couple of hours) and report back, please.

Again, not diminishing anything here except the way gun crimes are classified to drive a narrative.

Reactions: Chucksizzle1
This is NOT a SIMPLE Topic.

There are a factors, facts, data, etc, that gets overlooked, hidden, etc

While the number of shootings is moderately up, part of that is the reality that more of them, and part of it is PERCEPTION driven by SOCIAL Media, and the EVERY SECOND ON DEMAND media that is sensationalizing, exaggerating it.

As to the reasons why it's moderately up.

Bullying:

About 33% to 43% to 53% of these shootings had the shooter being BULLIED. That was especially true when Loukaitis shot Frontier Jr High, and in the Columbine Shooting.

Not noticing the signs, symptoms, and then not doing anything to prevent, stop from happening:

A example of this was when the Oregon kid, shot up the Oregon Middle School,Highschool.

First kids at school, has heard the kid make threats, joke, talking about school shootings a lot.

Kids knew he had guns. And the gas station attendant saw the kid with a gun that was gassing up to goto school with gun, and did nothing to prevent the shooting that happened about 15 to 30 to 45 minutes later.

Violence in society, culture, music, movies, video games. Altho a lot of people, kids, us don't have that affect us, there are a lot of kids with mental health problems, or that develop mental health problems from abuse, violence in society, culture, music, movies, books, video games, etc.

Lack of either parents, family, friends, community teaching kids right and wrong, the value of life, etc.

Drugs, gangs.

The availability of guns.

I am not anti guns. And for years kids had guns, even semi auto AR 15 like guns for years without today's problems.

The problem is that because of all the above, kids, people are a lot more unstable, then they used to be, so that's why today's people do more gun shootings then before.

The solution isn't to ban guns, that would make it so that us law abiding people would be victims of criminals who would still get their guns, even if ban them.

The Solution is:

1. Stop Bullying, abusing people.

2. Focus on mental health diagnosis, prevention.

3. Make it harder for the mentally ill to get guns.

4.Have less violence in music, movies, books, games, etc.

5. Teach more people, kids, right and wrong in our communities

6. Drug, gang education, prevention etc.

7. More gun education, enforced background checks, and making it so that a kid, mentally ill person can't just easily get a gun from a family member, friend, from black market, from pawnshop, from flea markets, gun shows, etc.

If a person wants to have a gun, whether AR or any type of gun, ok, then you have to:

1. Not be a criminal.

2. Not have a mental health problem that would, could cause you to do gun violence.

3. Show ID, do, pass a background check.

4. Take, pass a responsible gun owner, gun safety, gun education class

5. Not be a drug user, not be a MS 13, Crips, bloods, etc, gang member.

6. Be a USA CITIZEN.(Illegal Alien Immigrants, would not be allowed to legally have guns)

Simply doing just one of these things, won't solve the problem.

The ONLY way to solve the problem is to do ALL OF THESE THINGS.

Banning guns is NOT the solution. Gun shootings would still happen, and would even increase, because the shooters would still get guns, and would know that people would not be able to shoot back at them.

And banning guns is UNCONSTITUTIONAL.

Also when Australia, and other countries banned ALL guns, there was MORE shootings in those nations, AFTER ALL guns were banned.

Also when Australia, and other countries banned ALL guns, there was MORE shootings in those nations, AFTER ALL guns were banned.
What a complete crock of shit. WTF is wrong with you? Post us some news reports about this increase in Australia killings.

And as I have said, I own 5 guns.

Reactions: Coug1990

Did you know that any shooting involving more that two victims is used for that statistic, including youth oriented gang activity? Or a murder suicide? Does that make these gun crimes any less significant? Of course not, but don't just believe what your being told because it's on the TV. Go do some research on mass shooting statistics ( real research, a couple of hours) and report back, please.

Again, not diminishing anything here except the way gun crimes are classified to drive a narrative.
Well you are.
Driving a narrative? About what? Oh if only 2 or 3 innocent people get killed it's not a mass murder? What it your benchmark for classifying it? Land of the free, home of the murdered. Oh but there have to be 20 murdered school children for it to be classified as a mass murder?

WTF is wrong with you people?

I'll agree that the media is guilty of sensationalizing shootings and that certainly can lead to more shootings. The bigger issue out there is the pro-gun culture out there that fetishizes gun ownership and lures in troubled individuals.

25 years ago, a person driving down the street with a silhouette of a rifle stenciled on the rear window and a "Don't Tread On Me" bumper sticker would have been viewed as a fringe nutjob who warranted police surveillance. That's a Tuesday afternoon in conservative America today. I was at a meeting a couple weeks ago and a guy in the room said that he didn't want to live in a house with an alley at the back of the home because that meant he would have to defend two points of entry on his perimeter. I don't know what kind of delusional hellscape that his mind lives in, but I walk into my backyard with a pair of boxers on and don't think twice about it.

The pro-gun crowd has gotten so caught up in their second amendment rights and this delusional "hero" fairytale that they ascribe to that they reject even reasonable regulation of firearms....despite the fact that the second amendment has the words "well regulated" in the amendment. I know that people will yell about the f#cking comma and others will yell about the fact that "well regulated" meant "well trained" but the fact of the matter is that until about 20 years ago, our country had some common sense about guns and since then, we've gone off the deep end.

I own guns and I love shooting them, but I also know that I've never been in a position where I needed to use one on another human being despite the fact that I'm a confrontational a$$hole who has been nose to nose with other confrontational a$$holes on a number of occasions in my over five decades on this rock. It makes me sad to see a country full of insecure pricks trying to prop up their manhood with "Black Rifle" t-shirts and other pro-gun propaganda bullsh!t. Every time I see a dude wearing a shirt like the one below, I know that I'm looking at a guy with a three inch penis trying way to hard to compensate.

10-405-007_LS1_grande.png

Don't be that guy above.....

This is NOT a SIMPLE Topic.

There are a factors, facts, data, etc, that gets overlooked, hidden, etc

While the number of shootings is moderately up, part of that is the reality that more of them, and part of it is PERCEPTION driven by SOCIAL Media, and the EVERY SECOND ON DEMAND media that is sensationalizing, exaggerating it.

As to the reasons why it's moderately up.

Bullying:

About 33% to 43% to 53% of these shootings had the shooter being BULLIED. That was especially true when Loukaitis shot Frontier Jr High, and in the Columbine Shooting.

Not noticing the signs, symptoms, and then not doing anything to prevent, stop from happening:

A example of this was when the Oregon kid, shot up the Oregon Middle School,Highschool.

First kids at school, has heard the kid make threats, joke, talking about school shootings a lot.

Kids knew he had guns. And the gas station attendant saw the kid with a gun that was gassing up to goto school with gun, and did nothing to prevent the shooting that happened about 15 to 30 to 45 minutes later.

Violence in society, culture, music, movies, video games. Altho a lot of people, kids, us don't have that affect us, there are a lot of kids with mental health problems, or that develop mental health problems from abuse, violence in society, culture, music, movies, books, video games, etc.

Lack of either parents, family, friends, community teaching kids right and wrong, the value of life, etc.

Drugs, gangs.

The availability of guns.

I am not anti guns. And for years kids had guns, even semi auto AR 15 like guns for years without today's problems.

The problem is that because of all the above, kids, people are a lot more unstable, then they used to be, so that's why today's people do more gun shootings then before.

The solution isn't to ban guns, that would make it so that us law abiding people would be victims of criminals who would still get their guns, even if ban them.

The Solution is:

1. Stop Bullying, abusing people.

2. Focus on mental health diagnosis, prevention.

3. Make it harder for the mentally ill to get guns.

4.Have less violence in music, movies, books, games, etc.

5. Teach more people, kids, right and wrong in our communities

6. Drug, gang education, prevention etc.

7. More gun education, enforced background checks, and making it so that a kid, mentally ill person can't just easily get a gun from a family member, friend, from black market, from pawnshop, from flea markets, gun shows, etc.

If a person wants to have a gun, whether AR or any type of gun, ok, then you have to:

1. Not be a criminal.

2. Not have a mental health problem that would, could cause you to do gun violence.

3. Show ID, do, pass a background check.

4. Take, pass a responsible gun owner, gun safety, gun education class

5. Not be a drug user, not be a MS 13, Crips, bloods, etc, gang member.

6. Be a USA CITIZEN.(Illegal Alien Immigrants, would not be allowed to legally have guns)

Simply doing just one of these things, won't solve the problem.

The ONLY way to solve the problem is to do ALL OF THESE THINGS.

Banning guns is NOT the solution. Gun shootings would still happen, and would even increase, because the shooters would still get guns, and would know that people would not be able to shoot back at them.

And banning guns is UNCONSTITUTIONAL.

Also when Australia, and other countries banned ALL guns, there was MORE shootings in those nations, AFTER ALL guns were banned.re
Absolute nonsense, a complete regurgitation of nra talking points not based in reality

Doesn’t really matter what you call them. As for inner city gang violence type shootings not being widely reported? Its not that I don’t care, but my kids aren’t bloods or crips and they aren’t hanging out on those corners so those shootings really don’t concern me as much as the guy that goes off the deep end and takes his assault rifle into any- Walmart USA and starts shooting - we actually might be there.

There’s an obvious reason the media reports one and not the other. Doesn’t mean it didn’t happen.

I'll agree that the media is guilty of sensationalizing shootings and that certainly can lead to more shootings. The bigger issue out there is the pro-gun culture out there that fetishizes gun ownership and lures in troubled individuals.

25 years ago, a person driving down the street with a silhouette of a rifle stenciled on the rear window and a "Don't Tread On Me" bumper sticker would have been viewed as a fringe nutjob who warranted police surveillance. That's a Tuesday afternoon in conservative America today. I was at a meeting a couple weeks ago and a guy in the room said that he didn't want to live in a house with an alley at the back of the home because that meant he would have to defend two points of entry on his perimeter. I don't know what kind of delusional hellscape that his mind lives in, but I walk into my backyard with a pair of boxers on and don't think twice about it.

The pro-gun crowd has gotten so caught up in their second amendment rights and this delusional "hero" fairytale that they ascribe to that they reject even reasonable regulation of firearms....despite the fact that the second amendment has the words "well regulated" in the amendment. I know that people will yell about the f#cking comma and others will yell about the fact that "well regulated" meant "well trained" but the fact of the matter is that until about 20 years ago, our country had some common sense about guns and since then, we've gone off the deep end.

I own guns and I love shooting them, but I also know that I've never been in a position where I needed to use one on another human being despite the fact that I'm a confrontational a$$hole who has been nose to nose with other confrontational a$$holes on a number of occasions in my over five decades on this rock. It makes me sad to see a country full of insecure pricks trying to prop up their manhood with "Black Rifle" t-shirts and other pro-gun propaganda bullsh!t. Every time I see a dude wearing a shirt like the one below, I know that I'm looking at a guy with a three inch penis trying way to hard to compensate.

Now we are getting somewhere. Yeah the bumper stickers or window decals with AR 15 pictures - what are you trying to prove? Worse yet are the "F Biden" stickers. I don't care much about your political persuasion, but there is some kid in the car with Mom behind your pickup every day probably asking "Mom what does that F word mean?" Every time I see one of those rotten assholes I thank myself that my pistol is at home or I might just blow his head off at the next stoplight.

We are majorly F-ed up as a country and society. So sick of the fringe freaks. And sorry, I am a moderate but they are mostly right wingers. Bunny hugging liberals probably couldn't even hold a gun in their lotioned hands. Like the Brad Paisley song.

And speaking of alleys - remember the fairly recent story about the young lady who was killed by some F because they accidently took a wrong turn into his driveway? Here is the link.

Well you are.
Driving a narrative? About what? Oh if only 2 or 3 innocent people get killed it's not a mass murder? What it your benchmark for classifying it? Land of the free, home of the murdered. Oh but there have to be 20 murdered school children for it to be classified as a mass murder?

WTF is wrong with you people?
Don't be dense.

As does government. Pandemics, nuclear war, blah blah blah. We must keep the people afraid and dependent on us!

It's their way to gain more power over the stupid sheeple.

Worry over what you can control. Turn off the 24 hour news. Turn away from the lying, corrupt corporate media.

This is a start on having a better and more productive life.

Now we are getting somewhere. Yeah the bumper stickers or window decals with AR 15 pictures - what are you trying to prove? Worse yet are the "F Biden" stickers. I don't care much about your political persuasion, but there is some kid in the car with Mom behind your pickup every day probably asking "Mom what does that F word mean?" Every time I see one of those rotten assholes I thank myself that my pistol is at home or I might just blow his head off at the next stoplight.

We are majorly F-ed up as a country and society. So sick of the fringe freaks. And sorry, I am a moderate but they are mostly right wingers. Bunny hugging liberals probably couldn't even hold a gun in their lotioned hands. Like the Brad Paisley song.

And speaking of alleys - remember the fairly recent story about the young lady who was killed by some F because they accidently took a wrong turn into his driveway? Here is the link.

What is a "moderate?"

"F" means "fudge," right? 😀 I love fudge.

Goatee that looks like all my friends…check
Truck flags/stickers just like all my friends…check
Don’t tread on me flag just like all my friends…check
T-shirts/hats with the torn flag/freedom just like all my friends…check

Cuz dammit I’m an American I have freedom to be me and do and say what I want! 🤔

3 plus dead. On campus. The news report said it was the 80th college shooting this year. After the very recent Austin, TX shooting that killed 6, although that was off campus. I did contact my son who lives down there to confirm that he was alive.

I don't know about the rest here, but I spend way too much time reading the news, and sports. This retirement, and no current woman (working on that), gives me way too much idle time. And no f-ing way am I getting into my camper before spring.

But the news is so horrible. The Gaza Hamas atrocities', poor Ukraine getting their cities wiped out, on and on.

A lot of people I converse with don't even read the news and have no clue what's going on in the county, state, country or world. How the F do you do that? Or not in this case. Oh but let the stupid punk students protest against Israel. stupid little F-s.
Across the street from my daughter's dorm she lived in during 2019. Imagining her 3 years ago leaving Tonopah to to go class. A professor? UNLV Strong. This one really hits home.

• Sad
Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie
Media and politicians love to bang the drum claiming that mass killings/shootings are a new phenomenon, and that recent social influences are responsible. Violent movies, video games, music, etc. They completely ignore the fact that mass killings and shootings have happened in the US for a really long time. They're far more visible now, because of instant media reporting.

Anyone know when the biggest mass killing event at a school was? No, it wasn't Parkland, Columbine, or Virginia Tech. It was Bath Consolidated School. In 1927. And not a single AR-15 was involved.

I've done family tree research for nearly 30 years. It was originally a huge surprise to see how frequently there were newspaper stories of some guy (almost always a guy) shooting, stabbing, or bludgeoning groups of people to death...and this was through the 1800s. Granted, the typical number of victims has climbed in the last 50 years, but the occurrences have not escalated that much - our awareness of them has.

How many know that there was a shooting rampage in Pullman? A guy killed 3 cops and a cab driver before a group of civilians cornered and killed him...in 1947.

Media and politicians love to bang the drum claiming that mass killings/shootings are a new phenomenon, and that recent social influences are responsible. Violent movies, video games, music, etc. They completely ignore the fact that mass killings and shootings have happened in the US for a really long time. They're far more visible now, because of instant media reporting.

Anyone know when the biggest mass killing event at a school was? No, it wasn't Parkland, Columbine, or Virginia Tech. It was Bath Consolidated School. In 1927. And not a single AR-15 was involved.

I've done family tree research for nearly 30 years. It was originally a huge surprise to see how frequently there were newspaper stories of some guy (almost always a guy) shooting, stabbing, or bludgeoning groups of people to death...and this was through the 1800s. Granted, the typical number of victims has climbed in the last 50 years, but the occurrences have not escalated that much - our awareness of them has.

How many know that there was a shooting rampage in Pullman? A guy killed 3 cops and a cab driver before a group of civilians cornered and killed him...in 1947.
Again, not sure why we are needing to conflate the two here. 1. Shootings…bad. 2. Media bias/sensationalism…bad. Does burning newspapers, silencing your phone, or turning off your TV make 1 go away?

Again, not sure why we are needing to conflate the two here. 1. Shootings…bad. 2. Media bias/sensationalism…bad. Does burning newspapers, silencing your phone, or turning off your TV make 1 go away?
No, but I think our focus is in the wrong place. It's not about the guns. It's about who has the guns, and it's about how we identify the people who shouldn't. Right now, we have virtually no screening of who gets/buys guns. Sure, we have the background checks and waiting periods, but those only identify the people who have already been convicted or committed for some reason. The angry 19-year old whose cheese is about to fall off the cracker isn't going to be ID'd on that - and there might not be a good way to ferret out those people. Some jurisdictions have put pieces in place - red flag laws and similar - that can be a reasonable start.

The other thing that needs to happen is that the people around the angry 19-year old need to say something. Almost every shooter/attacker makes their intention known ahead of time - sometimes overtly, but definitely through behavior and actions. But the automatic reaction of people is not to tell anyone else - it's to withdraw and avoid the person, which in many cases further isolates them and pushes them closer to violence.

Here's a great idea...

Get the mental/looney toon bins back up and running instead of having crazies run around like its totally fine.

Stop teaching kids that everyone is cool and you can always do/think/be whatever you want ESPECIALLY if it goes against the respectable norm.

Put more into law enforcement and show more support instead of another story about cops being the worst people out there.

Increase penalties for drugs... don't encourage them and make them easier.

Pretty easy for me to see that good people aren't doing bad things with guns. Don't penalize good people.

No, but I think our focus is in the wrong place. It's not about the guns. It's about who has the guns, and it's about how we identify the people who shouldn't. Right now, we have virtually no screening of who gets/buys guns. Sure, we have the background checks and waiting periods, but those only identify the people who have already been convicted or committed for some reason. The angry 19-year old whose cheese is about to fall off the cracker isn't going to be ID'd on that - and there might not be a good way to ferret out those people. Some jurisdictions have put pieces in place - red flag laws and similar - that can be a reasonable start.

The other thing that needs to happen is that the people around the angry 19-year old need to say something. Almost every shooter/attacker makes their intention known ahead of time - sometimes overtly, but definitely through behavior and actions. But the automatic reaction of people is not to tell anyone else - it's to withdraw and avoid the person, which in many cases further isolates them and pushes them closer to violence.
It’s both. Always has been. Shitty people aren’t becoming more advanced because of technology. Guns are. Hence ability of shitty person to take out 50 people now instead of 3 30 years ago.

Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG
There’s obviously a narrative they are trying to promote because they have an agenda. this explains the disparity in coverage from crime ridden south side of Chicago gang shootings and the recent event described here.

Media is a filthy cesspool of distorted lies driven by the whims of the rich and powerful.

Reactions: NMBRCRNCHR
There’s obviously a narrative they are trying to promote because they have an agenda. this explains the disparity in coverage from crime ridden south side of Chicago gang shootings and the recent event described here.

Media is a filthy cesspool of distorted lies driven by the whims of the rich and powerful.
They didn’t report on a Bigfoot sighting or Hilary having a head growing out of her ass, they reported on a shooting. It happened. Innocent people are getting buried. Families are destroyed. Media didn’t “do” this.

The ironic thing about y’all who get this immediate reaction is because you think everyone’s coming for your hunting rifles or pistols that you own and carry legally and responsibly. Reality is nobody cares but you’re scared because that’s what YOUR media is telling you.

Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG
No kidding. What's with all of the crazy people out there killing and threatening to kill people they disagree with?

They didn’t report on a Bigfoot sighting or Hilary having a head growing out of her ass, they reported on a shooting. It happened. Innocent people are getting buried. Families are destroyed. Media didn’t “do” this.

The ironic thing about y’all who get this immediate reaction is because you think everyone’s coming for your hunting rifles or pistols that you own and carry legally and responsibly. Reality is nobody cares but you’re scared because that’s what YOUR media is telling you.
Well, if it's just one head, that's not much of a story.

Reactions: Coug90
It’s both. Always has been. Shitty people aren’t becoming more advanced because of technology. Guns are. Hence ability of shitty person to take out 50 people now instead of 3 30 years ago.

And, we're doing less about shitty people. We let them run around free, untreated, and unwatched, instead of having them institutionalized like we did 50 years ago.

The media capitalizes on differences. If 6 southside gang members kill each other, that's isolated and doesn't relate to people. If the mailman goes off the deep end and shoots 6 people in the mall food court...that's a story. It immediately becomes THIS COULD HAPPEN TO YOU. That fear sells clicks...especially if they can make the headline provocative enough.

And, we're doing less about shitty people. We let them run around free, untreated, and unwatched, instead of having them institutionalized like we did 50 years ago.

The media capitalizes on differences. If 6 southside gang members kill each other, that's isolated and doesn't relate to people. If the mailman goes off the deep end and shoots 6 people in the mall food court...that's a story. It immediately becomes THIS COULD HAPPEN TO YOU. That fear sells clicks...especially if they can make the headline provocative enough.
of course they do. I or my family have no chance of getting smoked in a south chicago or Compton street corner by a gang member. We have a greater than zero percent chance of getting victimized by the postal worker because he’s in our neighborhood every day. Why wouldn’t they report that? That’s who’s watching their news.

Again, this is about some greater fear that your media is selling you about everyone wanting to come take your guns. That’s the BS narrative/bigfoot sighting.

Reactions: Flatlandcoug
of course they do. I or my family have no chance of getting smoked in a south chicago or Compton street corner by a gang member. We have a greater than zero percent chance of getting victimized by the postal worker because he’s in our neighborhood every day. Why wouldn’t they report that? That’s who’s watching their news.

Again, this is about some greater fear that your media is selling you about everyone wanting to come take your guns. That’s the BS narrative/bigfoot sighting.
You have a much better chance of getting hit by lightning than being victimized by a postal worker. maybe just turn the television off.

So....these issues are so complicated and are not simply, "gun owners are a$$holes" or "the media is running a libtard agenda". Cougini5591 is absolutely correct that the liberals go too far to try to normalize too much marginal behavior, we need to provide more facilities and spend more money on mental health treatment, and while I don't think that marijuana should be criminalized, we should punish other drug offenders harshly.

95coug is correct that too many people don't want to get involved when they see someone who is obviously a danger to our society. It doesn't help that red flag laws are usually gutted for fear of taking guns away from people.

The media is very annoying in its coverage. The liberal media over-dramatizes everything that they don't like and conservative outlets do the same. They both stick their heads up their own asses rather than report on things that are contrary to their respective agendas.

Murders and shootings have always happened but anyone who wants to ignore that the shootings by mentally unstable is on the rise is just ignoring reality. In the 90's, there were a metric crapton of shootings going on, but the vast majority involved criminals committing crimes. For the comment about gang bangers killing each other.....if you ain't a gang banger or associated with a gang banger....your odds of getting killed are pretty low. You avoid sh!tty areas and you generally avoid the danger. These random shootings are scarier because they can happen anywhere and any time. While the odds are still fairly low, the stories resonate more because it really could happen to you.

And you really need to stop with the Chicago boogeyman stuff. In terms of shootings and violent crime, Chicago doesn't make the Top 15. There are certainly dangerous zipcodes in Chicago, but no different than any other big city. I don't drive through 13th and Grove at night in my town because that's a good place to get shot at 1 am.

It's too bad that we can't find any common ground on training and reasonable screening while still allowing people to own guns and safely enjoy them.

You have a much better chance of getting hit by lightning than being victimized by a postal worker. maybe just turn the television off.
you have a better chance of being shot than dying in a plane crash. Tell your flight attendant to F off when she tells you to put your seatbelt on and see where that gets you (not that the seatbelt will do you much good anyways).

Those types of comparisons are lazy and irrelevant. Someone else said it, it doesn’t become real till it happens to you, and the TV doesn’t pull triggers.

It's too bad that we can't find any common ground on training and reasonable screening while still allowing people to own guns and safely enjoy them.
This will get even harder with the current Supreme Court's insistence that all restrictions must be based on a view that would have been accepted in 1790.

Ki

Yeah...but at same time big national news when only four kids got killed in Moscow Idaho. Truth of the matter is you have a better chance of dying in a car wreck than four kids getting stabbed in Idaho. Frickin media. Signed thoughts and prayers and the problem in Chicago and UNLV is they needed more guns not less.

This will get even harder with the current Supreme Court's insistence that all restrictions must be based on a view that would have been accepted in 1790.

What's ironic is when decisions are based on "original intent" when it suits the court and based on changes in situation when it doesn't.

Reactions: BSpike76
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT