ADVERTISEMENT

Good Theo

They may need to hit the portal and jcs again this year. Or just commit to 4 high school kids and keep them in school come hell or high water.

There are a lot of bodies. At least for now. Strong is the only senior. Trey Davis and Armauni Archie seem to have some potential at CB. I'm more worried about CB going forward than safety. Obviously the safety play is awful right now.

There are a lot of bodies. At least for now. Strong is the only senior. Trey Davis and Armauni Archie seem to have some potential at CB. I'm more worried about CB going forward than safety. Obviously the safety play is awful right now.

Curious to know how Halid Djibril is developing. He came in highly touted with 7 Pac 12 offers including Utah, USC and UW. I believe he started out at Nickel, and has been moved to Corner. Haven't heard much about him this year.

Curious to know how Halid Djibril is developing. He came in highly touted with 7 Pac 12 offers including Utah, USC and UW. I believe he started out at Nickel, and has been moved to Corner. Haven't heard much about him this year.
Wondering the same thing. He was being touted as a freshman who would see some playing time and maybe a 3 year starter. Injuries?

They may need to hit the portal and jcs again this year. Or just commit to 4 high school kids and keep them in school come hell or high water.
Besides some potential impact players through the portal and JC's....they could stand to look at a current program with recent success and retention. Take Boise State for instance. Who hustled those recruits from 2017'? Do some background, find out those coaches and pay them more to come to WSU in the same manner Oregon took our coaches. If they couldn't beat us...then they'd steal the coaches who brought the players in that beat us. If Joe Schmoe brought in 6 of those 9 of 11 players who are contributing...starting two years later..then pay them 200+K from their 150K current salary. A coach who can identify and bring in talent is well worth the salary. Those GA's should be tearing through this info. Don't worry about our innocence:)

Reactions: 79COUG
Safeties typically need some time in the program to fill out and develop, but more and more you're seeing true freshmen cornerbacks come in and earn playing time. I suspect we'll see a mix of frosh and JC players next season.

Safeties typically need some time in the program to fill out and develop, but more and more you're seeing true freshmen cornerbacks come in and earn playing time. I suspect we'll see a mix of frosh and JC players next season.
Corner is like running back. A sufficiently talented corner can come in and start right away. The hard part is getting them.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
Besides some potential impact players through the portal and JC's....they could stand to look at a current program with recent success and retention. Take Boise State for instance. Who hustled those recruits from 2017'? Do some background, find out those coaches and pay them more to come to WSU in the same manner Oregon took our coaches. If they couldn't beat us...then they'd steal the coaches who brought the players in that beat us. If Joe Schmoe brought in 6 of those 9 of 11 players who are contributing...starting two years later..then pay them 200+K from their 150K current salary. A coach who can identify and bring in talent is well worth the salary. Those GA's should be tearing through this info. Don't worry about our innocence:)

I dont think having top end recruiters gets you any better kids at WSU. WSU get 95% 3 star kids. Which is fine. What you really need from your coaches are high end teachers.

I dont think having top end recruiters gets you any better kids at WSU. WSU get 95% 3 star kids. Which is fine. What you really need from your coaches are high end teachers.
Unfortunately only a few are really great at both. I've wondered more than once what Phelps could've done with some of the guys Joe brought in

I know we are high on an Illinois bounce back safety thats at San Mateo Cc. I believe he was an all American jc last year. Oregon State is recruiting a lot of JC guys.

Reactions: froropmkr72

Define a top end recruiter ? You better be a good evaluator of three star talent. Then you have to be good enough to sell them over OSU, Boise state etc. Then you have to be good enough to coach them up. But you better have a scheme you believe in .

Define a top end recruiter ? You better be a good evaluator of three star talent. Then you have to be good enough to sell them over OSU, Boise state etc. Then you have to be good enough to coach them up. But you better have a scheme you believe in .
I'm just talking about having 9 guys on defense from 2016'.......like the 3 stars still on the BSU roster...instead of 3 like we have. Also as Shock is saying...OSU may nail down the 14, 15th and 18th top rated JC players...all on defense. OSU may get some more guys through the portal as well.

I know we are high on an Illinois bounce back safety thats at San Mateo Cc. I believe he was an all American jc last year. Oregon State is recruiting a lot of JC guys.
Bennett Williams...guy who had 65 tackles and 3 int's as a rue freshman. Would be nice. They're also offering that 6-8 320 Finlander dude that went JC.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShockandAweWSU

Three star is a pretty broad range. Pretty much everyone who ends up going P5 gets rated 3 stars these days. Gotta be able to identify the ones with special talent and be able to recruit them to Pullman.

I like what Iowa does with their Oline and Dline mostly in state kids who redshirt and bulk up. Those aint 4 and 5 star kids but they are hosses as juniors and seniors.

TCU under Patterson would have an extremely fast D by recruiting d backs who bulk up to linebackers and linebackers who would bulk up to d lineman. Those weren't 4 and 5 star kids either.

I like what Iowa does with their Oline and Dline mostly in state kids who redshirt and bulk up. Those aint 4 and 5 star kids but they are hosses as juniors and seniors.

TCU under Patterson would have an extremely fast D by recruiting d backs who bulk up to linebackers and linebackers who would bulk up to d lineman. Those weren't 4 and 5 star kids either.

You gotta have length. You may be able to move kids around in the back 7. The front of the defense is a different skill set. Just gaining weight isnt enough.

d tackle youre right but d end can be LBers, Patterason did it, speed rush
Short DEs will have a lot of leverage problems when a P5 offensive tackle lays hands on them because of their reach deficit, though if they have a Dwight Freeney getoff, they're primarily pass rushers that don't have to handle the edge consistently in the run game, and they're strong enough to utilize their leverage in spite of the shorter arms, yeah they can compete. Remember, Ike and DD were light but they were also six and a half feet tall.

d tackle youre right but d end can be LBers, Patterason did it, speed rush

Again, you’re pointing at a short list of kids. Look at their DL recruiting now. They’ve moved towards 6’3” and taller for most of the kids. Youre not gonna find a lot of LBs at 6’3”.

You’re asking a kid to take on a tackle. A player that could be 6’6” or taller and weigh 330. Youre not moving a LB that is 6’ there. And if he has the speed youre describing, why isnt he playing at LB?

They're also offering that 6-8 320 Finlander dude that went JC.
Short DEs will have a lot of leverage problems when a P5 offensive tackle lays hands on them because of their reach deficit, though if they have a Dwight Freeney getoff, they're primarily pass rushers that don't have to handle the edge consistently in the run game, and they're strong enough to utilize their leverage in spite of the shorter arms, yeah they can compete. Remember, Ike and DD were light but they were also six and a half feet tall.
I think they were 6-2 and 6-3. 230 and 240. They'd have several sacks on third downs alone. Have they ever got DE's like this since then? Ideally you'd have 6-5 270 DE's in until their opponent had to throw the ball. Then in come DD and Isaac and luck trying to stop those guys.

I think they were 6-2 and 6-3. 230 and 240. They'd have several sacks on third downs alone. Have they ever got DE's like this since then? Ideally you'd have 6-5 270 DE's in until their opponent had to throw the ball. Then in come DD and Isaac and luck trying to stop those guys.
I looked it up, and you're right. I thought DD was closer to 6-5

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT