ADVERTISEMENT

Hadn't seen this before, but why not throw gas on the fire?(not Gesser related)

Then why are so many other people complaining about it? So, are we to never mention the name Tyler Hillinski again? Why? More denial. If you don't want to talk about it...please don't.

They didn't honor. They didn't even acknowledge. And all of the outpouring of the last 8 months has been by Coug fans, not by WSU.

fro - I know that Biggs is a big guy, but I think that describing him as "so many other people" is a bit of a stretch.

95 - And how did those Coug fans get in to Martin Stadium to paint that ribbon on the field? I want to paint some stuff on the field! And how did those Coug fans get access to the player's helmets to put those #3 stickers on? Man I want to stick some stuff on helmets! And how did those Coug fans manage to commandeer the Coug flag and get access to the flagpole so the Hilinski's could raise the flag? I want to raise some stuff on that flagpole!

Some people (apparently the Hilinski's included) must have missed the last 8 months, and all the efforts made by the university to acknowledge the tragedy and turn it into a learning, teaching and understanding moment. Go to the WSU site and search for Hilinski. See what comes up.

https://news.wsu.edu/2018/01/19/remembering-tyler-hilinski-and-the-other-cougars-we-have-lost/

Enough of this for me. It happened 8 months ago. Lots was done. We could have renamed the stadium and put up a 40 foot statue and it still wouldn't have been enough for some. Bummer.

Maybe Tyler's brother should have come to WSU to honor him by playing ball here. Should we blame the family for that?

It is tough and a fine line to walk. I also feel like they could have done a bit more, but you also don't want it anyone to feel like Tyler and his family are more important just because he was on the football team. I don't have a perfect solution either, really there probably isn't one.

I have mostly just lurked here but I would like to throw in a thought. Chun had said on the broadcast that there had been a suicides on campus before Tyler and also suicides on campus after Tyler. Maybe they felt like if they did all of this stuff to honor his memory that could upset the parents, families, friends of other students who have committed suicide as well since they wouldn't receive the same treatment. They kept the focus on suicide prevention in general instead of focusing on just one person.

This is well said.

They didn't honor. They didn't even acknowledge. And all of the outpouring of the last 8 months has been by Coug fans, not by WSU.

The hard thing with this "debate" is that it's unclear in a given case whether people are unaware of, or simply are choosing to reject, the generally accepted advice on handling this that the university has received from the Jed Foundation (JED), a New York-based nonprofit organization designed to promote mental health and prevent suicides among teenagers and young adults.

It's touched on here, albeit briefly. http://dnews.com/sports/in-honoring...cle_3312d14c-ef01-5928-bdd9-2f1b8b61f773.html

I think some of those criticizing the university are unaware that the university is acting in accordance with generally accepted research on suicide, and that any perceived lack of recognition doesn't owe to some kind of nefarious plot, nor, presumably, to sloth. It's not like Chun and Schulz are sitting there, rubbing their hands, thinking of ways to avoid mentioning TH by name. They've been advised not to by a group that knows a lot more about this than any of us do.

It's quite possible, and in fact even probable, that the university is doing exactly what it's been advised to do and that the family is never going to be happy with that, since, by definition, the advice is not to "honor" the young man who committed suicide. So no, they're never going to be happy with what the university does, yet the university is doing what most objectively would say that it should be doing.

Again, the family's satisfaction with the amount of personal recognition their son gets, as opposed to a general anti-suicide message, is not, and should not be, the bar for determining whether the school has done a good job on this. Once more, I caveat this by saying I wish it wasn't the case and I can't imagine their pain.

I think it goes back to the fact that WSU did a good job overall.....but they screwed the pooch in editing Tyler out of the video and they absolutely should have mentioned Tyler when his family was there to raise the flag. For the comment by GPCoug above.......they could have said something that named Tyler specifically while mentioning that he was not alone among students who have committed suicide at WSU. That wouldn't have been a terrible thing. WSU needs to put Tyler back in the videos because he was part of one of the most memorable wins in WSU history and it's poor frick'n form for them to pretend that he didn't exist.

fro - I know that Biggs is a big guy, but I think that describing him as "so many other people" is a bit of a stretch.

95 - And how did those Coug fans get in to Martin Stadium to paint that ribbon on the field? I want to paint some stuff on the field! And how did those Coug fans get access to the player's helmets to put those #3 stickers on? Man I want to stick some stuff on helmets! And how did those Coug fans manage to commandeer the Coug flag and get access to the flagpole so the Hilinski's could raise the flag? I want to raise some stuff on that flagpole!

Some people (apparently the Hilinski's included) must have missed the last 8 months, and all the efforts made by the university to acknowledge the tragedy and turn it into a learning, teaching and understanding moment. Go to the WSU site and search for Hilinski. See what comes up.

https://news.wsu.edu/2018/01/19/remembering-tyler-hilinski-and-the-other-cougars-we-have-lost/

Enough of this for me. It happened 8 months ago. Lots was done. We could have renamed the stadium and put up a 40 foot statue and it still wouldn't have been enough for some. Bummer.

Maybe Tyler's brother should have come to WSU to honor him by playing ball here. Should we blame the family for that?
describing him as "so many other people" is a bit of a stretch. So many more people means so many more people. I've read it elsewhere and was wondering myself. We could have renamed the stadium and put up a 40 foot statue and it still wouldn't have been enough for some. Bummer. Doesn't dignify a response.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT