ADVERTISEMENT

I hope we get some power 5 experienced coaches

so far Hawaii guys

Power 5 doesn’t equal good coach. The only coach announced is a ST coordinator. I’m fine with him bringing his OC and passing game coordinator. They helped install their system. It’s like Leach bringing Miller and Mele with him. Neither of them had P5 experience before they coached here. Weber has been all over the place between P5 and G5. We’ll see what happens on defense. I just want good coaches that can recruit and develop players.

Power 5 doesn’t equal good coach. The only coach announced is a ST coordinator. I’m fine with him bringing his OC and passing game coordinator. They helped install their system. It’s like Leach bringing Miller and Mele with him. Neither of them had P5 experience before they coached here. Weber has been all over the place between P5 and G5. We’ll see what happens on defense. I just want good coaches that can recruit and develop players.

The strength and conditioning coach has all kinds of experience with some big time programs too.

The Big Sky is a Hell of a lot different than the Mountain West, and Paul Wulff was one of a kind terrible.

And that means comparing Wulff to Rolo. If that's the case there are much bigger issues.

Nobody in their right mind should think they are similar

Power 5 experience? Wullf? McBath? I prefer the standard be: excellent coaches who can recruit good areas.

It doesn't matter the level imo. Recycling power 5 coaches means nothing
Makes sense with the success he had on offense to keep most of that group together. Glad he went a different direction on defense. And football is football if these guys can scheme and recruit they will be fine.

There is a diff in levels. To think otherwise is foolish.

X’s and O’s arent the issue. The pace at which decisions are made, plays are called, countering what is happening in real time... all of that gets better... and some guys are great at it and some suck. Mix in the pressure of millions of dollars being tossed around...

Saying level doesnt matter??? Not true.

Reactions: Coug1990
There is a diff in levels. To think otherwise is foolish.

X’s and O’s arent the issue. The pace at which decisions are made, plays are called, countering what is happening in real time... all of that gets better... and some guys are great at it and some suck. Mix in the pressure of millions of dollars being tossed around...

Saying level doesnt matter??? Not true.
If you are responding to me that’s not what I was saying. Coaches have to start somewhere...most guys at P5s coached at other levels...hell some damn good college coaches started in HS. If these guys can scheme and recruit there’s no reason they can’t succeed at Wazzu. IDGAF what level you’re at, it’s 11 v 11 on a 100 yard field. Level doesn’t change ones ability to prep, scheme, adjust, develop, etc. Finding and landing talent is probably the biggest difference in college, which is why I said “If they can recruit”. We need talent too. We will see how good these guys can be.

The Wyo guy was probably the DC he most respected in his own conference. That equates to the start of a good interview process.

If you are responding to me that’s not what I was saying. Coaches have to start somewhere...most guys at P5s coached at other levels...hell some damn good college coaches started in HS. If these guys can scheme and recruit there’s no reason they can’t succeed at Wazzu. IDGAF what level you’re at, it’s 11 v 11 on a 100 yard field. Level doesn’t change ones ability to prep, scheme, adjust, develop, etc. Finding and landing talent is probably the biggest difference in college, which is why I said “If they can recruit”. We need talent too. We will see how good these guys can be.

It does change. You are oversimplifying it.

The higher you go, the better programs and coaches youre gonna find. Not to say there arent some turds out there. There are. But youre gonna find guys that are better at day to day stuff, evaluating film, managing games, play calling... just better.

The intensity of the situation pushes people.

You start plucking guys out of FCS football and placing them in P5, if theyve never been there before pretty good odds theyll be overwhelmed by the enormity of the scenario they are in.

Football is not all the same at every level.

The higher you go, the better programs and coaches youre gonna find. Not to say there arent some turds out there. There are. But youre gonna find guys that are better at day to day stuff, evaluating film, managing games, play calling... just better.

You start plucking guys out of FCS football and placing them in P5, if theyve never been there before pretty good odds theyll be overwhelmed by the enormity of the scenario they are in.

It ain’t rocket science.

The Air Raid originated at Iowa Wesleyan. The Run and Shoot started at Portland State. The read option started at Bowling Green. I get what you are saying but football is football and coaches that can scheme and recruit can coach at the P5 level.

Now do I want the second coming of CPW? Hell no, but I’d rather see what these guys from Wyoming can do rather than Nick Holt.

Coaches at lower levels still know what Pac12 talent looks like. Even Wulff knew what he was looking for, he was too much of a dud coach to land any of them.

There's something that keeps getting overlooked in this thread. The Mountain West is not the Big Sky. Boise State is not Montana. Air Force isn't Eastern WA. Hawaii and Wyoming aren't Weber State and Northern Arizona. Coaches in the Group of 5 are very good. They compete and recruit against P5 coaches.

Reactions: Fab5Coug
The Air Raid originated at Iowa Wesleyan. The Run and Shoot started at Portland State. The read option started at Bowling Green. I get what you are saying but football is football and coaches that can scheme and recruit can coach at the P5 level.

Now do I want the second coming of CPW? Hell no, but I’d rather see what these guys from Wyoming can do rather than Nick Holt.

And look at who started those schemes and how far they went? There are other schemes that never made it higher in football for a reason.

The guys from Wyoming have strong lineage of winning all over. But every time you level up, other guys that leveled up are there too. How far can you go before you just have to be better?

A) most people here are talking completely out of their keisters and have no idea what it takes to be a P5, G5, CC, or HS coach. This would include me.

B) What I can say with a relatively high amount of confidence is that coaching isn't that different from anything else, in that effort and drive will take you further than talent. You can have all the talent in the world, but if you're not willing to put in the hours you won't be successful. Which means that the best MAY NOT be the smartest, best recruiter, best x and o guy, but will be the guy who is willing to put in 18 hour days when necessary - whether it be recruiting, gameplanning, coaching, or even just team building activities.

While an influx of youth would seem to imply that we'll be getting that high level of effort, it has to be demanded from Rolo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT