ADVERTISEMENT

"If we don't win this one, you can kiss our playoff chances goodbye."

BleedCrimsonandGray

Hall Of Fame
Oct 2, 2007
- Buff fan

Bwahahahahahaha.

Oh man, that is rich. I'll be thinking of this randomly throughout the day and smiling.

Playoff chances.... o_O:eek::confused:o_O:eek::confused:

- Buff fan

Bwahahahahahaha.

Oh man, that is rich. I'll be thinking of this randomly throughout the day and smiling.

Just looked their schedule. Losing (only) to Michigan and USC is cause for pause, but their mediocre wins against others is cause for optimism.

That said, and I said it last week in a thread, this fixation on the playoffs is just making me sick and is IMHO bad for the game. Every conversation among the talking heads is about the top 4 and who and who won't make it. And has been for at least the last couple of weeks. No real discussion about conference championships, bowl possibilities, etc. With 2 games left for everyone, 3 for the Big 5 (minus 1) teams that win their divisions.

Just looked their schedule. Losing (only) to Michigan and USC is cause for pause, but their mediocre wins against others is cause for optimism.

That said, and I said it last week in a thread, this fixation on the playoffs is just making me sick and is IMHO bad for the game. Every conversation among the talking heads is about the top 4 and who and who won't make it. And has been for at least the last couple of weeks. No real discussion about conference championships, bowl possibilities, etc. With 2 games left for everyone, 3 for the Big 5 (minus 1) teams that win their divisions.

This was predicted by those who detested "mythical" champions and pushed for a playoff.

A bit of illusional thinking on the part of some of the Buffs but I am happy to see it. They were selected 11th in the conference prior to the season, only ahead of the Beavs. We have been there and done that so we should be able to identify.

Their aspirations would be more appropriate if the playoffs were increased to sixteen from the current four. Leach's sixty four or let everybody in is a bit much for me. The national sentiment seems to be moving in favor of an increase.

A bit of illusional thinking on the part of some of the Buffs but I am happy to see it. They were selected 11th in the conference prior to the season, only ahead of the Beavs. We have been there and done that so we should be able to identify.

Their aspirations would be more appropriate if the playoffs were increased to sixteen from the current four. Leach's sixty four or let everybody in is a bit much for me. The national sentiment seems to be moving in favor of an increase.
I think it's great. And yes there is a path for CU OR WSU to get in. Granted it would take plenty more chaos like last week, but the fact that both schools are talking about it with 3 games less is fantastic! The great thing about sports is at the start of the year, everyone has a chance.

I don't think this takes away from what a conference championship, rose bowl would mean either. You think WSU or Colorado would be disappointed in a Rose Bowl? Hell no....in fact every school that has a chance to make it there right now would all be thrilled.

This us all good stuff...let the conversations and dreams continue

Reactions: CUBuffs170

1) i don't know if i'd call their wins mediocre necessarily. like utah, they win in a very particular way (stout defense and just enough offense) that can sometimes appear ugly. in other words... i'm still nervous. :)

2) the playoff fixation is really no different than the bcs fixation before it (except it's now for 4 spots instead of 2). i would also argue that there's plenty of discussion of all the things you mentioned, just in the context of the cfp.

Rod Davis and his sidekick blathered on and on about the playoffs during our game with Cal. All about who might be in or who might be out. Ridiculous as we need to finish out the season anyways. It was all just conjecture !! This happened while plays were going on, instead of letting us know who was making the plays. Frustrated the hell out of me as I am not that interested in all the National Championship talk either.

- Buff fan

Bwahahahahahaha.

They were 12th last week and Auburn & A&M will assuredly drop. They'll probably be #10, with us, Utah & potentially either us again or UW in the P12 CG. That's a chance to knock off 3 straight ranked opponents. I don't think it's that absurd to think they could get up into that conversation.

Not to mention, Stanford will probably get to 9 wins and a ranking by seasons end too, adding another quality win to their resume.

They were 12th last week and Auburn & A&M will assuredly drop. They'll probably be #10, with us, Utah & potentially either us again or UW in the P12 CG. That's a chance to knock off 3 straight ranked opponents. I don't think it's that absurd to think they could get up into that conversation.

Not to mention, Stanford will probably get to 9 wins and a ranking by seasons end too, adding another quality win to their resume.

3 straight ranked opponents from a crap conference. Rankings only matter east of the Rockies.

1) i don't know if i'd call their wins mediocre necessarily. like utah, they win in a very particular way (stout defense and just enough offense) that can sometimes appear ugly. in other words... i'm still nervous. :)

2) the playoff fixation is really no different than the bcs fixation before it (except it's now for 4 spots instead of 2). i would also argue that there's plenty of discussion of all the things you mentioned, just in the context of the cfp.
They play football like Joe Frazier fought. Not pretty but dangerous.

Colorado fan here. But never one to not like a team like the Cougs. Some in this thread may be giving a little too much credit to CU's defense, and not quite enough to their offense. The Buffs are a balanced team.

CU's weakness, and it's a critical one, is just awful field goal kicking (two season-long injuries screwed it up.) There're also a couple of other questions -- is the QB, Sefo Liufau hiding an ankle injury that makes for erratic passing (and potential interceptions)? And, are injuries to their offensive line going to take a toll in the running game and QB protection?

CU's strength comes from a couple of areas, the most important is that they are the most experienced team in the conference. On top of that, the two coaches who have been added to the program, DC Jim Leavitt (former 49'ers assistant and USF head coach) and Darrin Chiaverini (NFL'er and Texas Tech assistant) have masterly changed the internal dynamics.

I expect a good game, an exciting one. With a good team, Folsom Field can be one of the hardest places to play away at anywhere. And this year, finally after the long painful dark ages, the Buffs once again are a good team.

Colorado fan here. But never one to not like a team like the Cougs. Some in this thread may be giving a little too much credit to CU's defense, and not quite enough to their offense. The Buffs are a balanced team.

CU's weakness, and it's a critical one, is just awful field goal kicking (two season-long injuries screwed it up.) There're also a couple of other questions -- is the QB, Sefo Liufau hiding an ankle injury that makes for erratic passing (and potential interceptions)? And, are injuries to their offensive line going to take a toll in the running game and QB protection?

CU's strength comes from a couple of areas, the most important is that they are the most experienced team in the conference. On top of that, the two coaches who have been added to the program, DC Jim Leavitt (former 49'ers assistant and USF head coach) and Darrin Chiaverini (NFL'er and Texas Tech assistant) have masterly changed the internal dynamics.

I expect a good game, an exciting one. With a good team, Folsom Field can be one of the hardest places to play away at anywhere. And this year, finally after the long painful dark ages, the Buffs once again are a good team.

Colorado is playing to represent the south. Cougs are playing to ensure their north representation and now for River. I just have a feeling this one will look like an old school rivalry game - these two teams are going to beat the holy hell out of each other.

Pray no more injuries this season for both teams!

Reactions: CUBuffs170
Rod Davis and his sidekick blathered on and on about the playoffs during our game with Cal. All about who might be in or who might be out. Ridiculous as we need to finish out the season anyways. It was all just conjecture !! This happened while plays were going on, instead of letting us know who was making the plays. Frustrated the hell out of me as I am not that interested in all the National Championship talk either.

My very thoughts: STFU about the playoffs, Rodney, and talk about the damn game!

Colorado is playing to represent the south. Cougs are playing to ensure their north representation and now for River. I just have a feeling this one will look like an old school rivalry game - these two teams are going to beat the holy hell out of each other.

Pray no more injuries this season for both teams!

It was Colorado that knocked Falk out a year ago, so...

From Allbuffs, I felt like we've been getting less credit than we may deserve. Which I hope their team feels the same way about us.

I feel like we downplay their ability too although, which I hope our team doesn't do.

I could see this game breaking just about any way. Colorado big, WSU big, or some gut wrenching shootout with both kickers making mistakes.

From Allbuffs, I felt like we've been getting less credit than we may deserve. Which I hope their team feels the same way about us.

I feel like we downplay their ability too although, which I hope our team doesn't do.

I could see this game breaking just about any way. Colorado big, WSU big, or some gut wrenching shootout with both kickers making mistakes.

Let them dream. God knows Cougar REM sleep during 6 and 40 amounted to nothing more than a fart...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT