ADVERTISEMENT

In renewing my season tickets, I got to thinking...

YakiCoug

Hall Of Fame
Jan 6, 2003
if I could sit for one game with a Cougar from the past, famous or infamous, dead or alive, who would it be? I thought of creating a poll, but I'd prefer responses to be open-ended. What would the conversation be about? Who would buy the concessions? Would we argue? High five? Would we heckle sponge and Ed? Would he/she buy me a beer after the game and where?

Last edited:
Reactions: Pullman11
Tough call. If limiting it to football and going all time, I'd say Mel Hein...just for the vintage stories, if nothing else. Modern football? I'd have to go with Dan Doornink. We overlapped in school, but I never knew him. However, every quote I've ever seen from him says he has a good sense of humor and a sense of humility. If basketball, hands down, Ravelling. Minor sports? I think I'd take Bobo.

Our greatest all time athlete? My first choice overall? Have to be Gene Conley. College World Series; MLB World Series; Celtics under Auerbach...an almost unbelievable athletic career. Have to be a good conversation there.

I'm pretty close to cr8zy's choices. Football: Jack Thompson (same team as Doornink). Basketball: yep, Raveling. Minor sports: definitely Brayton.

Never really thought about it, but I did set next to Reuben Mayes at the WSU-Texas Holiday bowl. Nice guy, and it was like having the most knowledgeable color commentator for my personal enjoyment

Wow, Bob. That would have been pretty cool! And what a great game to have had the experience. I'd have loved to hear his comments on our punting in that game...probably the greatest punting exhibition that I've ever seen.

if I could sit for one game with a Cougar from the past, famous or infamous, dead or alive, who would it be? I thought of creating a poll, but I'd prefer responses to be open-ended. What would the conversation be about? Who would buy the concessions? Would we argue? High five? Would we heckle sponge and Ed? Would he/she buy me a beer after the game and where?
I'm going to completely twist the intent of the poll and turn it into a full season (this season), just because there are several I want to have the conversation with and don't want to pick.

Game 1, San Jose State: Tyler Hilinski. One topic: WTF? I'm going to need a few beers by the end of the conversation, but I'll have to buy my own.

Game 2, EWU: Ryan Leaf. Not so much because I desperately want the conversation, but because I want a first-hand look at whether he's turned the corner. I'll buy him popcorn, anything else might be addictive, and I'm not going to have that on my conscience. I'll probably point out to him what a dumbass he was, just to see how he reacts. I don't expect we'll be pals.

Game 3, Utah: Keith Jackson. Because who doesn't want to listen to his play by play? And imagine the stories that could come out during the breaks. I'll buy, Keith...just keep talking.

Game 4, Oregon: Bill Doba. Because both of my grandpas died when I was 13, and he seems like a reasonable stand-in for an afternoon...but with more football stories.

Game 5, Cal: Mel Hein. Seriously Mel...honest opinion - could you and your teammates play today?

Game 6, Arizona: Duke Washington. Tell the stories, Duke. Don't gloss over the parts that make us all look bad. Make sure my kids hear every word.

Game 7, UW: Mike Leach. First, let me explain to you why this isn't just another game. After that, just start talking and we'll see where it goes. I'll buy the Martin Stadium hot chocolate. You don't have to blow on it, because it's actually just slightly warm chocolate. I'll get him some M&Ms too. No hot dogs, I've seen him eat a banana, and I don't want mustard spilled on my seats.

Several mentioned Bobo. I spent a year working for athletic maintenance, and used to do setup for baseball. In that process, I spent a little time talking to Bobo, and more time in proximity. I've worked farms and construction, and am not shy about bad language (using or hearing), but let me warn you - Bobo could make a sailor's ears burn.

Reactions: YakiCoug
I like Leach as a football coach, but I'd hate to have to sit and listen to him for much time. No thanks.

I had a hunch that some might use this as an opportunity to seize upon Leach's quirkiness, but I guess that beats reading how Loyal would sit game after game with Aron Baynes...

I'm going to completely twist the intent of the poll and turn it into a full season (this season), just because there are several I want to have the conversation with and don't want to pick.

Game 1, San Jose State: Tyler Hilinski. One topic: WTF? I'm going to need a few beers by the end of the conversation, but I'll have to buy my own.

Game 2, EWU: Ryan Leaf. Not so much because I desperately want the conversation, but because I want a first-hand look at whether he's turned the corner. I'll buy him popcorn, anything else might be addictive, and I'm not going to have that on my conscience. I'll probably point out to him what a dumbass he was, just to see how he reacts. I don't expect we'll be pals.

Game 3, Utah: Keith Jackson. Because who doesn't want to listen to his play by play? And imagine the stories that could come out during the breaks. I'll buy, Keith...just keep talking.

Game 4, Oregon: Bill Doba. Because both of my grandpas died when I was 13, and he seems like a reasonable stand-in for an afternoon...but with more football stories.

Game 5, Cal: Mel Hein. Seriously Mel...honest opinion - could you and your teammates play today?

Game 6, Arizona: Duke Washington. Tell the stories, Duke. Don't gloss over the parts that make us all look bad. Make sure my kids hear every word.

Game 7, UW: Mike Leach. First, let me explain to you why this isn't just another game. After that, just start talking and we'll see where it goes. I'll buy the Martin Stadium hot chocolate. You don't have to blow on it, because it's actually just slightly warm chocolate. I'll get him some M&Ms too. No hot dogs, I've seen him eat a banana, and I don't want mustard spilled on my seats.

Several mentioned Bobo. I spent a year working for athletic maintenance, and used to do setup for baseball. In that process, I spent a little time talking to Bobo, and more time in proximity. I've worked farms and construction, and am not shy about bad language (using or hearing), but let me warn you - Bobo could make a sailor's ears burn.

I had a hunch that some might use this as an opportunity to seize upon Leach's quirkiness, but I guess that beats reading how Loyal would sit game after game with Aron Baynes...
Who was it that had the shirtless ALex Brink fetish?

Well this would be a good start ...

7cb7351d5eb29a3350d6ff5f847d5acf.jpg

Second choice:

9610948.jpg

Reactions: 79COUG
I've never been interested in making small talk with former players, coaches, media folk, etc. Not sure why exactly, but I've never been the autograph seeking type.

If I were offered the chance to sit next to any of them, BobRob, Leaf, Bledsoe, Leach, Price, etc. I'd decline.

Jackie Sherrill could be interesting. "How'd you go from one year in Pullman to setting off the coaching salary arms race?"

Random, your Sherrill comment brings up something I always wondered about. I wonder how a panel discussion would go with Sweeney, Sherrill, Powers and Walden? 4 HC's in 4 years. Bet they would have some interesting observations, particularly after a couple of beers. My guess is the last 3 would thank Sweeney for a cupboard that was very nicely stocked.

It kind of was. Especially in the RV lot. The only good game memories I had during that era were UNLV and ASU.
You're an optimist. While I didn't mind winning, even mid-blowout I reminded myself that UNLV was probably the worst team in D-1, so beating them meant pretty much nothing. And even mid-game, I could see that ASU had already quit the season, and even though they laid down it still took some late-game big plays to actually put them away. I was more impressed the next week when we went toe-to-toe with Utah and should have won. There really wasn't a win during that period that I think we could genuinely feel good about - not once did we show up, have both teams play a solid game, and we came out on top. That whole era was marked only by positive moments - like Lobbestael's first pass going for a TD. All of the wins were tempered by one of a couple thoughts:
  1. Big deal, PSU/UNLV/UW/ISU is one of the worst teams in the country
  2. Didn't deserve that one. If MSU/SMU coaches hadn't had an aneurysm in the 4th quarter, or their QB hadn't gone colorblind, we lose
  3. If Colorado had any healthy DBs on the roster, and wasn't playing RBs as corners, we probably don't win that one
  4. Why are the Beavers playing so bad? If they weren't so schizophrenic, they'd be top 25.
  5. Lucky for us ASU quit last week.

Tough call. If limiting it to football and going all time, I'd say Mel Hein...just for the vintage stories, if nothing else. Modern football? I'd have to go with Dan Doornink. We overlapped in school, but I never knew him. However, every quote I've ever seen from him says he has a good sense of humor and a sense of humility. If basketball, hands down, Ravelling. Minor sports? I think I'd take Bobo.

Our greatest all time athlete? My first choice overall? Have to be Gene Conley. College World Series; MLB World Series; Celtics under Auerbach...an almost unbelievable athletic career. Have to be a good conversation there.

Richland Bomber Alum, Gene Conley. Truly an unbelievable career indeed!

Tyler Hilinski.

Reactions: YakiCoug
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT