ADVERTISEMENT

Is the wussification of the Pac 12 a result of years trying to defend Chip?

CougEd

Hall Of Fame
Dec 22, 2002
The Pac 12 spent so many years trying to defense chip and his offense, teams went to 3-3-5, 4-2-5, and a myriad of other hybrids to keep up with his offensive speed, when we play teams that are a little more traditional we struggle.

One thing that stood out looking at Georgia's receivers upper body strength then I look at ours, we are midgets. It can't be just the weight room is it?

Other than USC and the recent iterations of Stanford, the Pac and the west has always been of the non power variety. The rest of the country was running the wing T and wish bone up until the later 80's early 90's. The last 15 years the south particularly has accumulated all of the big and fast kids. Everyone else has some big and some fast, but very few big and fast it feels like. The buckeyes have it, but not many do these days. Feels like the gap is getting larger. I think it was that way long before Chip.

Other than USC and the recent iterations of Stanford, the Pac and the west has always been of the non power variety. The rest of the country was running the wing T and wish bone up until the later 80's early 90's. The last 15 years the south particularly has accumulated all of the big and fast kids. Everyone else has some big and some fast, but very few big and fast it feels like. The buckeyes have it, but not many do these days. Feels like the gap is getting larger. I think it was that way long before Chip.

Your view of what the Pac has “always” been seems to begin in about 2004.

The Pac 12 spent so many years trying to defense chip and his offense, teams went to 3-3-5, 4-2-5, and a myriad of other hybrids to keep up with his offensive speed, when we play teams that are a little more traditional we struggle.

One thing that stood out looking at Georgia's receivers upper body strength then I look at ours, we are midgets. It can't be just the weight room is it?

Hard to see how it could be due to trying to defend Chip when big, physical, muscular teams were the most successful at defending Chip.

Reactions: ATACFD
Also the PAC12 is a different league then when Chip was here with the rise of programs such as UW, WSU, USC reestablishing itself, and Stanford maintaining a high level and possible Arizona. Chip is going to have to work harder this time around.

Reactions: SilverStateCoug
Chip was a head coach at the collegiate level for 4 years. I think we give him too much credit. He won’t repeat the 4 year run he had at Oregon. UCLA is a soft institution, that won’t change. There are just too many distractions.
he will also be under a microscope regarding his questionable recruiting tactics. he was more or less run out of eugene by the NCAA, and I still think the infractions he was accused of were the tip of the iceberg down there

Chip was a head coach at the collegiate level for 4 years. I think we give him too much credit. He won’t repeat the 4 year run he had at Oregon. UCLA is a soft institution, that won’t change. There are just too many distractions.
When did he bring in his offense? It is about what most thought was the best way to attack the speed and the spread of the offense.

Chip's contribution to the evolution of PAC offenses was the highly mobile passing QB. The rest of what he did was no different than what others were doing. There are only so many of those QB's available at any given time, and he ran through his supply in some years, due to the hazards of being a QB who runs in the open field a lot.

Chip's contribution to the evolution of PAC offenses was the highly mobile passing QB. The rest of what he did was no different than what others were doing. There are only so many of those QB's available at any given time, and he ran through his supply in some years, due to the hazards of being a QB who runs in the open field a lot.

The high tempo was his innovation. Snapping the ball with 25+ seconds on the play clock.

UCLA was an elite program in the 1980s, winning 4 conference championships under Terry Donohue. Beginning with Dick Vermeil in 1974 through Donohue's tenure ended in 1995, UCLA was 166-79-11 with 6 conference titles.

To quote Mike Leach, I think it's lazy message board posting to say that UCLA will always be soft. If they have the right coach, they'll win games and contend for conference titles. Their problem, as is the case with most programs, has been bad coaching hires. Bob Toledo, Karl Dorrell, Rick Neuheisel, and Jim Mora. Hell, Bob Toledo went 49-32 with 2 championships.

Chip Kelly may not get it done, but he's by far the best coach they've hired since Terry Donohue retired.

Gib, you are right about the tempo. Combined with the highly mobile QB. I stand corrected. Memory failure.

UCLA was an elite program in the 1980s, winning 4 conference championships under Terry Donohue. Beginning with Dick Vermeil in 1974 through Donohue's tenure ended in 1995, UCLA was 166-79-11 with 6 conference titles.

To quote Mike Leach, I think it's lazy message board posting to say that UCLA will always be soft. If they have the right coach, they'll win games and contend for conference titles. Their problem, as is the case with most programs, has been bad coaching hires. Bob Toledo, Karl Dorrell, Rick Neuheisel, and Jim Mora. Hell, Bob Toledo went 49-32 with 2 championships.

Chip Kelly may not get it done, but he's by far the best coach they've hired since Terry Donohue retired.

Always going to be Soft? I said they’re soft, that’s not going to change..... I’m talking about the current team and what to expect from Chip Kelly. 10 years from now, who the **** knows. There has been a problem with focus at UCLA. Is it bad coaching, maybe. Rick Neuhiesel is a Rose Bowl winning coach. Not exactly a bad coach. Jim Mora is a former NFL coach and was pretty sought after. Chip took over a successful program and had Phil Knight along with inept competition in the Northern division. He failed miserably at the NFL level. He’s got 4 years of college head coaching experience to point to on his resume. He better start off hot.... one bad year and he starts to look pedestrian. We’ll see if he can put everything together at UCLA. I just don’t see it. Not with that team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT