ADVERTISEMENT

I've seen enough

COCoug

Hall Of Fame
Jan 23, 2004
And I like what I see.
Dickert took over this program under the worst possible situation.
He kept the team together, cobbled together a coaching staff, and produced 8 solid quarters of football against tough teams.
This is the biggest win since the 2018 season. And it was smart football.
I move to offer him the head coach position on the flight home, so he can start recruiting.
Do I have a second?

And I like what I see.
He kept the team together, cobbled together a coaching staff, and produced 8 solid quarters of football against tough teams.
I move to offer him the head coach position on the flight home, so he can start recruiting.
Do I have a second?
Essentially what my postgame haiku says. Just can't hit send until it's over. Can't jinx this thing..

This shows clearly that Bill Doba and not Mike Price should have coached the 2003 Rose Bowl.

It doesn't show that keeping Bill Doba was a good idea.

Reactions: Fab5Coug
Need to have a solid offensive plan and hires, but it’s certainly looking like he can do the job at the moment.

I agree. The risk of not hiring him outweighs the risks of keeping the team together. We have a chance next season to be at least as good as we are this year.

If he doesn’t get it done, so be it, but we have a solid returning player foundation to build on.

This clearly shows me Rolo wasn’t focused on the task in hand and the team was distracted by his selfish antics.
I agree... but can we please just forget about that mother f@cker and move on? Looking forward is a lot more enjoyable. I'd be happy if I never heard his name again from one of our fans.

Reactions: WillieThePimp
And I like what I see.
Do I have a second?
I'm not saying no, but I'm waiting to see what he does with a bye week going into oregon.

He's definitely on the list, but I want to know who he's got in mind for OC.

Congrats to the coach on his first win.
Good job Cougars. You've earned a bye week.
Oregon in 2 weeks should be a good one.

I'm not saying no, but I'm waiting to see what he does with a bye week going into oregon.

Oregon is going to be tough, but winning 2/3 now seems like an attainable goal.

And I like what I see.
Do I have a second?
Word. Was just going to post biggest win since GameDay.

Reactions: M-I-Coug
It's our biggest win since we beat OSU a few weeks back. The loss to BYU hurt.

That said if you have Dickert as your next head coach, you gotta do it now so he can recruit. Or have the next guy lined up. What we shouldn't do is play the wait and see game. We are likely headed to a bowl and keeping Dickert on to coach the bowl makes zero sense if he's not the guy because a new hire will have zero time to recruit between the bowl game and signing day.

Reactions: M-I-Coug
Oregon is going to be tough, but winning 2/3 now seems like an attainable goal.
Nice thing is we can be bowl eligible before Apple cup, so that doesn't have to be on the line in Seattle. I'd rather not have the extra pressure for that win.

It's our biggest win since we beat OSU a few weeks back. The loss to BYU hurt.

That said if you have Dickert as your next head coach, you gotta do it now so he can recruit. Or have the next guy lined up. What we shouldn't do is play the wait and see game. We are likely headed to a bowl and keeping Dickert on to coach the bowl makes zero sense if he's not the guy because a new hire will have zero time to recruit between the bowl game and signing day.
I see your logic, but we also don't want to pull the trigger too soon and lay eggs the next 3 weeks. The contract has to be for at least 3 years, I don't think we give it based on 1 win.

Also, not sure we'd be able to have someone new coach a bowl. Depends where they're from, probably.

Nice thing is we can be bowl eligible before Apple cup, so that doesn't have to be on the line in Seattle. I'd rather not have the extra pressure for that win.
How well did Leach's "the Apple Cup is just another game" work? I think we need another approach, i.e. no loss is more bitter, no win sweeter. It time to strive to join the the exclusive club -- Apple Cup win, Bowl win, a feat not accomplished since 1994, 28 years ago.

How well did Leach's "the Apple Cup is just another game" work? I think we need another approach, i.e. no loss is more bitter, no win sweeter. It time to strive to join the the exclusive club -- Apple Cup win, Bowl win, a feat not accomplished since 1994, 28 years ago.
I've got no problem with emphasizing the rivalry, but I don't want that combined with the 'we have to win to go to a bowl.' That puts too much at stake, and also gives UW more motivation to beat us...that they don't need.

Plus, now that I'm aware that the Pac-12 title is still on the table, I like getting bowl eligible against the ducks and then having wins against UA and UW as just gravy.

Not trying to put the cart before the horse but win out and we may be able to get to the Championship game.

Reactions: Flatlandcoug

This is where I'm at on it. Gotta see how we do against Oregon still. If we beat Oregon.....yeah....sign him up. A close loss and it gets tough. Double digit loss and you have to wait until we get a win against Arizona and become bowl eligible. Lose to Arizona (unlikely as that is) and you have to think he's not the right guy.

Long ramble short....too soon but I like what I see.

This is where I'm at on it. Gotta see how we do against Oregon still. If we beat Oregon.....yeah....sign him up. A close loss and it gets tough. Double digit loss and you have to wait until we get a win against Arizona and become bowl eligible. Lose to Arizona (unlikely as that is) and you have to think he's not the right guy.

Long ramble short....too soon but I like what I see.
Arizona seems to be playing better the last couple weeks. I haven't actually seen them so I'm not sure what's going on, but they were in the game with UW and right now they're giving USC more of a game than we did. They might not be quite as sure a W as we've thought...although an Arizona school in Pullman in late November is always going to be outside their comfort zone.

I mean seriously, 10 days ago there were posts about a possible players strike, who would quit, who would transfer, ect. Instead we have seen hard tough play, and a ton of unity. Dickert said at halftime we were winning because we were playing harder. ASU was coming off a bye where Edwards met with every player and gave them each a letter with specific goals, and they played like they were waking up from a coma.

Lets not overthink it. If you find a guy who the kids will play hard for, and he also happens to be your current head coach, then you are really blessed and you enjoy the ride!

I mean seriously, 10 days ago there were posts about a possible players strike, who would quit, who would transfer, ect. Instead we have seen hard tough play, and a ton of unity. Dickert said at halftime we were winning because we were playing harder. ASU was coming off a bye where Edwards met with every player and gave them each a letter with specific goals, and they played like they were waking up from a coma.

Lets not overthink it. If you find a guy who the kids will play hard for, and he also happens to be your current head coach, then you are really blessed and you enjoy the ride!
Dickert was a guy who was going to be a head coach someday. That was his stated goal. He was fast tracked as a defensive coordinator by Craig Bohl at Wyoming and was highly regarded within the MWC.

His time has come sooner than anyone thought, and he might not be fully ready for it, but he’s not a fluke. Had none of the COVID stuff happened with Rolo, Dickert was going to start being short listed for Big Sky/MWC head jobs and bigger DC openings at P5 programs.

Maybe, this time, WSU backed into the steal of the century? He’s young, and the dude has a lot of football charisma. He’ll have to work hard on the recruiting trial, but I think he’ll do very well with the parents.

how refreshing to see our head coach with a play sheet bigger than a cocktail napkin or having none at all standing seemingly disengaged with his hands clasped behind his back

CJD has high energy all up and down the sidelines - like this guy a lot!

Last edited:
I agree. The risk of not hiring him outweighs the risks of keeping the team together. We have a chance next season to be at least as good as we are this year.

If he doesn’t get it done, so be it, but we have a solid returning player foundation to build on.
I like the idea of having a defensive minded head coach, bring in twenty to run the offense

Truth is, none of us know how Dickert will do long term. The contrasting question is, what assurances do we have that we’ll nail the hire if we look elsewhere?

We don’t have blue blood money, so we’re looking at another guy with Rolo’s background as a G5 head coach, or we go with a coordinator from a bigger program.

If that’s the case, then I think the pendulum swings towards Dickert; a known commodity who has the team playing hard vs. another new head coach. The 4th in 4 years.

Truth is, none of us know how Dickert will do long term. The contrasting question is, what assurances do we have that we’ll nail the hire if we look elsewhere?

We don’t have blue blood money, so we’re looking at another guy with Rolo’s background as a G5 head coach, or we go with a coordinator from a bigger program.

If that’s the case, then I think the pendulum swings towards Dickert; a known commodity who has the team playing hard vs. another new head coach. The 4th in 4 years.

They paid Leach $4,000,000. He had 10 years of head coaching experience.

I think Chun’s phone has rung so much he had to turn it off. Agents, out of work coaches, working coaches… I wouldn't be surprised if he has already interviewed people.

There are only so many P5 jobs. There are only so many that open. There are only so many that come with the lack of pressure WSU offers. You could coach here 10 years and put $30,000,000 into your bank account. Thirty million fuc$ing dollars. There is no reason to think there aren’t really good coaches interested. Does Chun have the smarts to hire the right one????

Reactions: Cougatron

I think Chun’s phone has rung so much he had to turn it off. Agents, out of work coaches, working coaches… I wouldn't be surprised if he has already interviewed people.

There are only so many P5 jobs. There are only so many that open. There are only so many that come with the lack of pressure WSU offers. You could coach here 10 years and put $30,000,000 into your bank account. Thirty million fuc$ing dollars. There is no reason to think there aren’t really good coaches interested. Does Chun have the smarts to hire the right one????

You are right Biggs.

We aren’t the doormat program we used to be. Leach proved you can win here in the modern Era (2010 on)

We can pay good money, we should have a lot of options and the question is what will Chun do?

Well, we replaced Leach with a G5 coach out of Hawaii, and the prospective names I’ve seen thus far haven’t excited me. Jay Norvell? Graham Harrell? Jeff Grimes?

I’m sure there are more compelling choices, but didn’t exactly go big after Leach left.

Well, we replaced Leach with a G5 coach out of Hawaii, and the prospective names I’ve seen thus far haven’t excited me. Jay Norvell? Graham Harrell? Jeff Grimes?

I’m sure there are more compelling choices, but didn’t exactly go big after Leach left.

I think they were looking for a passing coach that could transition the roster easier. Turd was a West Coast guy. I wonder who else was interviewed and how they went. Obvs not good enough to get hired, but was there someone they wanna talk to again???

Some guys have garnered more attention since then. Moved around more. And you never know how many jobs will open.

You don’t just give Dickert even if he 4-1 or 3-2 with this team. There are still a lot of unanswered questions. What will your offense be in the future who’s run it? Who is you recruiting coordinator,? Transfer portal coordinator? D line coach, how are you going to up grade the d line, how do you continue developing the online? The list goes on and on.

I am impressed with the job Dickert has done in keeping this team together. They are playing with a lot emotion, energy and confidence, but how long will that last. I’d like to see Dickert get the job, however he needs to present Chun with a long term plan and vision, and how he plans to execute it. Another big question is the players themselves, do they stay? We lose a lot due graduation, if another 5-6 starters hit the transfer portal that’s a huge problem.

Too many unanswered questions to just hand him the job based on wins this year, I am basing the decision on his long term vision, plus the performance on the field this year.

You don’t just give Dickert even if he 4-1 or 3-2 with this team. There are still a lot of unanswered questions. What will your offense be in the future who’s run it? Who is you recruiting coordinator,? Transfer portal coordinator? D line coach, how are you going to up grade the d line, how do you continue developing the online? The list goes on and on.

I am impressed with the job Dickert has done in keeping this team together. They are playing with a lot emotion, energy and confidence, but how long will that last. I’d like to see Dickert get the job, however he needs to present Chun with a long term plan and vision, and how he plans to execute it. Another big question is the players themselves, do they stay? We lose a lot due graduation, if another 5-6 starters hit the transfer portal that’s a huge problem.

Too many unanswered questions to just hand him the job based on wins this year, I am basing the decision on his long term vision, plus the performance on the field this year.

There is no way no how that Dickert doesn't get the job if we finish 8-4. I get your point and it is important that Dickert does have a plan and vision for the future, but if you want to see a fanbase in rebellion and a team that would implode...fire the guy who salvaged a tumultuous season. If Chun were to let Dickert go, he would have to land an incredible coach that would make everyone forgive him for it. Chun might as well resign if he let Dickert go with WSU at 8-4. Again, your point is valid and future success is not guaranteed just based on this season, but Dickert will be our head coach in 2022 if we finish 8-4. If we beat Oregon, I'd bet a $100 donation to the CAF that Dickert is announced as our permanent head coach by the end of the day on the Monday after.

I wanted to follow up by saying that even though I felt that Rolovich failed himself and his players by tilting at the COVID vaccine windmill, I believe that the three game winning streak before he got let go shows that he was a good hire by Chun and that he had a real chance at being successful at WSU. I don't see the benefit in trashing the man's legacy (just like I don't believe he is a martyr). He's just another former coach now. I don't want to see him win his lawsuit but I do hope that he gets his career back on track. I bring this paragraph up because I think Chun has shown that he has a keen eye for picking coaches that understand what it takes to win at WSU. It's not Chun's fault that he didn't forsee COVID and the silliness of the arguments around it.

It certainly will be necessary to know what Dickert's long-term vision is for the program, but he is too busy right now just keeping things together and trying to achieve the season's goals. So it's a tough spot for everyone. If he's going to get the job, the sooner it's announced the better for recruiting purposes and for retaining the current roster. But the vision question is an important one. The best thing to hope for right now is just winning the games in front of us, one week at a time. If that happens, WSU will get a good coach....whether it's Dickert or someone else.

By the way, Biggs is right about why Chun went after Rolovich and not a bigger name coach after Leach. If a priority was to keep the same or similar offense that is pass-oriented, that really cuts down the pool. Chun & others believe WSU's best chance at competing long term is with an offense that primarily throws the ball. Interestingly, it seems Dickert was pretty excited with the Cougars' ability yesterday to sustain that long, clock-eating drive by keeping it on the ground and complementing the excellent defense we saw yesterday.

Glad Cougar

Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT