ADVERTISEMENT

I've seen enough

Lets say we keep Dickert.

Would love to bring on Price as a recruiting and roster management consultant or another old wise coach. Ed mentioned it before.

They had Mouse Davis helping out at Hawaii. Maybe he or June Junes would like to help out?

Just throwing it out there. Price probably just wants to chill...but he will probably in nearby Lake Coeur d'Alene during fall camp.
Mike Price is 75 and hasn't coached in 4 years. The only thing WSU should pay him to do is show up to alumni events.

Price had 8 running backs on scholarship for a 1 back offense.

He doesn’t know a damn thing about roster management or scholarship allotment.
When was that ? I know Doba did because kids refused to move positions.

Last edited:
Oregon poaching Leach's best assistants on a yearly basis (not to mention other departures like Manning going to UCLA) really drove home for me that long-term major success at WSU is nearly impossible absent more institutional support (i.e., more debt and/or money, and as we know, more debt isn't going to happen anytime soon). Not just "hard," in the same way it's hard for any program and almost unheard of for non-blue bloods absent major changes in circumstance (e.g., Oregon/Okie State), but just about impossible. I believe that to the extent Leach didn't already know that, it cemented it for him, too, and that is one of the things that led him to look around and bail (even if one grants that him being open to bail also contributed to further losses of assistants or, while I disagree that he was, any degree of being "checked out" that people have claimed).

Even with a coach capable of building up to a team #2 in the country in a disadvantaged spot, and on a materially similar track here, having assembled a staff that was pretty great by WSU standards--the one Leach had a few years in with Grinch, Salavea, Wilson, Manning, Sage, Mastro, etc.--it all could be derailed easily by a program with more money and otherwise preferable circumstances (easier recruiting, higher profile, better facilities, etc.) luring away assistants. No coach in America, and certainly not any that WSU reasonably could hope to hire or keep around long-term, could overcome that by consistently executing perfect hires every winter from a pool of Mountain West graduates and retreads / unusual situations and overcoming any discontinuity on the recruiting trail, especially with WSU's structural limitations on that front.
The reason Leach was so successful is because his system was relatively recruiting-proof. He didn't need to win the 6'5, rocket armed Jacob Eason recruiting battles. He could start a walk on, a grad transfer or a JC career backup and get far more production. There are a lot more quick thinking, accurate Anthony Gordon's out there than there are Jacob Easons.

The thing that impressed and surprised me the most about Leach was how well they were able to identify OL, especially in state. They got guys like O'Connell, Madison, Dillard & Lucas with practically no competition.

When was that ? I know Donna did because kids refused to move positions.

I cant remember the year. I remember scratching me head how you could commit 10% of your scholarships to 1 position that plays 1 guy.

The reason Leach was so successful is because his system was relatively recruiting-proof. He didn't need to win the 6'5, rocket armed Jacob Eason recruiting battles. He could start a walk on, a grad transfer or a JC career backup and get far more production. There are a lot more quick thinking, accurate Anthony Gordon's out there than there are Jacob Easons.

The thing that impressed and surprised me the most about Leach was how well they were able to identify OL, especially in state. They got guys like O'Connell, Madison, Dillard & Lucas with practically no competition.

The OL he got needed more cooking. Get bodies, grow them, coach them, see what happens.

Donna the dental hygienist can't shift the chair for those
Donna like my ceo friend apparently are a figment of my imagination .

But Doba and his recruiting 8 running backs are not .

Oregon poaching Leach's best assistants on a yearly basis (not to mention other departures like Manning going to UCLA) really drove home for me that long-term major success at WSU is nearly impossible absent more institutional support (i.e., more debt and/or money, and as we know, more debt isn't going to happen anytime soon). Not just "hard," in the same way it's hard for any program and almost unheard of for non-blue bloods absent major changes in circumstance (e.g., Oregon/Okie State), but just about impossible. I believe that to the extent Leach didn't already know that, it cemented it for him, too, and that is one of the things that led him to look around and bail (even if one grants that him being open to bail also contributed to further losses of assistants or, while I disagree that he was, any degree of being "checked out" that people have claimed).

Even with a coach capable of building up to a team #2 in the country in a disadvantaged spot, and on a materially similar track here, having assembled a staff that was pretty great by WSU standards--the one Leach had a few years in with Grinch, Salavea, Wilson, Manning, Sage, Mastro, etc.--it all could be derailed easily by a program with more money and otherwise preferable circumstances (easier recruiting, higher profile, better facilities, etc.) luring away assistants. No coach in America, and certainly not any that WSU reasonably could hope to hire or keep around long-term, could overcome that by consistently executing perfect hires every winter from a pool of Mountain West graduates and retreads / unusual situations and overcoming any discontinuity on the recruiting trail, especially with WSU's structural limitations on that front.
In broad strokes, think about the conditions to need to occur for WSU to be successful in recruiting the state of Washington in any given year: (1) WSU must be winning/have won recently; (2) this can kind of be lumped together with (1), but as you said a greater level of commitment at WSU than the historic norm; (3) uw needs to be struggling or going through coaching transition; (4) there must be above average amounts of talent instate worth recruiting, otherwise uw gets it all. Again this is broad strokes, so by no means an exclusive list.

How often do things things come together? 1999 for sure. 2014 kind of.

In broad strokes, think about the conditions to need to occur for WSU to be successful in recruiting the state of Washington in any given year: (1) WSU must be winning/have won recently; (2) this can kind of be lumped together with (1), but as you said a greater level of commitment at WSU than the historic norm; (3) uw needs to be struggling or going through coaching transition; (4) there must be above average amounts of talent instate worth recruiting, otherwise uw gets it all. Again this is broad strokes, so by no means an exclusive list.

How often do things things come together? 1999 for sure. 2014 kind of.
Kind of inaccurate , at least when it comes to Price . His most productive classes came prior to him winning or not getting to a bowl game . 1990 class, 1999 class.

So there are kids to be had , but as Biggs Said they have to be smart in their effort.

I don't know enough about their athletic department to say whether or not CJL will be there in two years, but simply the fact that they hired him in the first place would seem to indicate that they aren't all that interested in fielding a championship contending team. He was a quick, lazy hire, and his shit talking would have made me question if his temperament and maturity was where it needed to be to prosper as a HC, but that's just me.
Presumably, he had a genuine endorsement from Petersen. But I agree. No surprise the offense has tanked. The coffee cups don't seem to be working as well. He still has much to learn about being a head coach.

Last edited:
Kind of inaccurate , at least when it comes to Price . His most productive classes came prior to him winning or not getting to a bowl game . 1990 class, 1999 class.

So there are kids to be had , but as Biggs Said they have to be smart in their effort.
Leach was quite smart with the effort. Yet, he's the one criticized for not recruiting the state.

The 1990 class was not more productive than the 1999 class. You also apparently forgot that WSU went to the Aloha Bowl in 1988, so the "winning/have won recently" was satisfied.

Price had 8 running backs on scholarship for a 1 back offense.

He doesn’t know a damn thing about roster management or scholarship allotment.
Necessity is the mother of invention. RBs to LB, S, WR. TE/DEs to OL and DT. When it pans out, great. When it doesn't, 3-8.

Mike Price is 75 and hasn't coached in 4 years. The only thing WSU should pay him to do is show up to alumni events.
Do you think these guys forget how to evaluate talent. It would be more of a volunteer position for any of these guys than it would be anything else. Hey review ten tapes a day. Two hours worth of work.

Leach was quite smart with the effort. Yet, he's the one criticized for not recruiting the state.

The 1990 class was not more productive than the 1999 class. You also apparently forgot that WSU went to the Aloha Bowl in 1988, so the "winning/have won recently" was satisfied.
Actually I didn't forget that at all. If my memory serves me correctly is that Dennis Erickson won with that team and Mike Price was the clapping clown. If you mean by win , have a winning season a couple times in the decade I stand corrected.

Leach's most productive class came after a 3 win season in 2012. One would think recruiting would have got easier, but it didn't.

Do you think these guys forget how to evaluate talent. It would be more of a volunteer position for any of these guys than it would be anything else. Hey review ten tapes a day. Two hours worth of work.

At 75 years old I’d like to think MP has better things to do than watch film.

I think Pac12 talent probably looks a lot different now than it did when Price was looking for it 20 years ago. I don't know how good he would be evaluating talent for the R&S or Air Raid, or whatever scheme we'll be running either. I certainly don't think he'd be any better than any of the assistant coaches we'd have actually coaching the scheme. And I would seriously question how much energy a 75 year old would put into sitting in a film room churning through tape.

You want him involved with the program? Fine, have him glad hand boosters and give a pep talk to the team the week before the Apple Cup. Other than that, I don't really see the point.

I think Pac12 talent probably looks a lot different now than it did when Price was looking for it 20 years ago. I don't know how good he would be evaluating talent for the R&S or Air Raid, or whatever scheme we'll be running either. I certainly don't think he'd be any better than any of the assistant coaches we'd have actually coaching the scheme. And I would seriously question how much energy a 75 year old would put into sitting in a film room churning through tape.

You want him involved with the program? Fine, have him glad hand boosters and give a pep talk to the team the week before the Apple Cup. Other than that, I don't really see the point.
The AD over the past 20 year has, imho, failed tremendously at reaching out to our former football players and coaches and getting them onboard for supporting the university. The roll out the same 5 guys every year, and recently its only been for the big spender events. Hell, you could even have them do a short video to play over the big screen at the stadium if they can't fly into town even that would be better than what they are doing now.

Ironically, I receive invites regularly for Gray W events despite never representing the school as a varsity athlete.

Reactions: Coug90
Thursday night in August at Shooters is tough to beat. It would take a far better drinking package to drag Denny and Mike off the lake at that time of year.

Reactions: taf88
I don’t think you even have to pay him for that, a solid open bar should be sufficient.

On that note, if wanna hear something hilarious, go to last week's episode of Puck and Jim where they have Canzano on. They mention Denny's affection for the Coug

The genius of Price was that he always made an effort to put his best athletes on D.

Not concerned about recruiting to the R &S or Air Raid. We will always get receivers here. Just need good lineman

I did forget that Price is 75 these days. Yowza...time sure flies.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT