ADVERTISEMENT

Jim Waldens' legacy at WSU?

Reading through the comments has given me some additional insight to his contributions to the school, and that can' be forgotten or ignored.

HOWEVER, his words surrounding Wullf were cancerous. Everyone makes mistakes, and I'm ok with that but he's never gone back and said "hey, I was too close personally to the situation and said some things..." THAT is what sticks in my craw.

I'm glad he was here when he was, but I'm also glad he's gone.

Reactions: FnuLnu
Reading through the comments has given me some additional insight to his contributions to the school, and that can' be forgotten or ignored.

HOWEVER, his words surrounding Wullf were cancerous. Everyone makes mistakes, and I'm ok with that but he's never gone back and said "hey, I was too close personally to the situation and said some things..." THAT is what sticks in my craw.

Bleed I get your take . Let me ask you this and this will probably help explain Walden, but it requires an exercise ... if I was a top recruit with offers from uw UCLA asu and cal how would you sell wsu.

Go one step further , my daughter was looking at various campuses this past spring. She is looking to do something in computer science, if you were selling wsu how would you sell it over uw and say UCLA and Cal Poly ?

It's more than just the Wulff stuff for me.

It was the fact that he ran his mouth and lobbied for a completely inept coach (Wulff)
Defended that inept coach amongst a mountain of evidence that the person he lobbied for was unqualified.
Bashed Mike Price.
And bashed Leach just as he got here trying to clean up the mess his guy made.

You know where Paul Wulff learned not to be accountable for his own screwups. Walden.

If he was just some legacy coach who they called up to talk about a particular game or moment and he would slink away to obscurity I would be fine with him.

But NO. NO. Walden came in and ran his mouth and had the audacity to stump for unqualified people AND bash the the people who were good (Price & Leach)

This is not a legacy coach. It is program cancer and getting rid of him is the best thing Bill Moos did aside from the stadium and Leach.

People that worship Walden like CougEd...look at them on here. They are laughing stock to most people because they believed every bs lie Walden told them, and now they don't know what to do because they are so caught up hating on the guy who posted 3 winning seasons and enjoying things because Walden doesn't like him and Walden's guy is out.

This is exactly why WSU as a program has such a poor program growth rate.

You can't keep people around "just because you like them" You only keep around people that are building and contributing in a positive way or else...your program will suck.

Everyone wants to talk about Apple Cup, but nobody wants to do what it REALLY takes to beat the Huskies in the long run.

BUILD A SUCCESSFUL PROGRAM OVER AN EXTENDED AMOUNT OF TIME.

Bleed I get your take . Let me ask you this and this will probably help explain Walden, but it requires an exercise ... if I was a top recruit with offers from uw UCLA asu and cal how would you sell wsu.

Go one step further , my daughter was looking at various campuses this past spring. She is looking to do something in computer science, if you were selling wsu how would you sell it over uw and say UCLA and Cal Poly ?

If your daughter has the same genetics as you and your brother we don't want her.

If your daughter has the same genetics as you and your brother we don't want her.
Is that an attempt at a dig? Certainly not playing nice in this little sand box. First, the results oriented guy you are cant help but break several rules on the board. Sorry it is such an emotional issue with you. Sometimes that comes with lack of experience. But all good.

But you should know any dig or attack is met with a chuckle. You see, you are just a character behind a keyboard. Jeez I really don't know that you aren't a 17 year old that has never had a job and never attended WSU. You are just a guy (assumption on my part) who likes cars, trucks and has as attachment to Transformers. I suppose my only suggestion would be to link back up with Star Scream and see if you can work on not violating board rules, and if there is going to be a dig or slam, there is a much smarter way of not blatantly violating Rivals rules.

As for my daughter, sorry to say the university was not on the same page as you. Maybe for a new career where you can meet those lofty expectations of yourself you can help weed out the bad candidates that they are currently wanting to admit..

It was the fact that he ran his mouth and lobbied for a completely inept coach (Wulff)
Defended that inept coach amongst a mountain of evidence that the person he lobbied for was unqualified.
Bashed Mike Price.

You know where Paul Wulff learned not to be accountable for his own screwups. Walden.

If he was just some legacy coach who they called up to talk about a particular game or moment and he would slink away to obscurity I would be fine with him.

But NO. NO. Walden came in and ran his mouth and had the audacity to stump for unqualified people AND bash the the people who were good (Price & Leach)

This is not a legacy coach. It is program cancer and getting rid of him is the best thing Bill Moos did aside from the stadium and Leach.

People that worship Walden like CougEd...look at them on here. They are laughing stock to most people because they believed every bs lie Walden told them, and now they don't know what to do because they are so caught up hating on the guy who posted 3 winning seasons and enjoying things because Walden doesn't like him and Walden's guy is out.

You can't keep people around "just because you like them" You only keep around people that are building and contributing in a positive way or else...your program will suck.

Everyone wants to talk about Apple Cup, but nobody wants to do what it REALLY takes to beat the Huskies in the long run.

Weird....Walden played for the Rose Bowl in his 4th year. Beat UW who was one class of the Pac 10 when they number 5 in the country, knocked them out of two straight Rose Bowls. Did this on the heels of getting 9 players drafted in 1978. And to be honest he had been able to attract NFL players to play Dline in Millard, Williams, Howard. All doing do without an FOB, and sharing a practice field with the intramural program.

Oh, and a decent portion of home games were in Spokane, and all the "big games" including the Apple Cup were on the road.

My guess if he plated Eastern instead of Michigan, and Northwestern or Portland State instead of Ohio State the record probably would have been better.

I think most of us agree with that sentiment.

WALDEN LOBBIED LIKE CRAZY FOR WULFF.

"I had mentioned this a week or so ago, about Jim Walden’s interview on KRKO 1380. Walden has gone out of his way to explain why Wulff is the guy to hire" source

If you all want to be losers than bring in the Wulff's and Walden's.

If you all want to be winners you bring in the Leach's and the Moos'

that's the truth. And it is that black and white.

Nobody hires or brings 0-10-1 coach's around to tell them who to hire except idiots.

That's like having Tyrone Willingham come in and tell the Huskies who to hire. It's THAT stupid.

Just out of curiosity, where in that "source" does it say that nobody wanted to hire Wulff but Walden made them do it? I get that he lobbied hard for Wulff, but it was a committee and Walden was arguably the least important component of that committee. It's laughable to think that Sterk, Doba, Moos and Floyd were intimidated into hiring Wulff by the all-powerful Walden.

Reactions: Observer11
I think most of us agree with that sentiment.
Also, I read your post about him as a radio guy, and I've gotta tell you he was at best polarizing, at worst just bad. His last 5 years or so he sounded like someone's drunk uncle sitting on the couch yelling at the refs on the tv - it was embarrassing. Its bad enough when all the ignorant fans are blaming the refs, but then you have Walden fanning that fire...

Anyway, along the lines of my previous take: I enjoyed listening to him on the radio until I didn't.

Also, I read your post about him as a radio guy, and I've gotta tell you he was at best polarizing, at worst just bad. His last 5 years or so he sounded like someone's drunk uncle sitting on the couch yelling at the refs on the tv - it was embarrassing. Its bad enough when all the ignorant fans are blaming the refs, but then you have Walden fanning that fire...

Anyway, along the lines of my previous take: I enjoyed listening to him on the radio until I didn't.

I used to try to listen to those radio broadcasts as much as possible. It was awesome. I thought of it as "get off my lawn" radio.

You need to listen to radio broadcasts from SEC country. Walden's mannerisms, accent, and attitude are a lot more common place than you may realize.

I can hear him cackling

lots of empty seats there - what's funny Jim?

images

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, where in that "source" does it say that nobody wanted to hire Wulff but Walden made them do it? I get that he lobbied hard for Wulff, but it was a committee and Walden was arguably the least important component of that committee. It's laughable to think that Sterk, Doba, Moos and Floyd were intimidated into hiring Wulff by the all-powerful Walden.

Walden got out ahead of the search and lobbied to the press hard making it difficult on the search committee.

Here's the timeline

11/26 Doba resigns.
11/27 doing interviews promoting Wulff ONE F.UCKING DAY LATER HE'S OUT THERE SAYING WULFF WULFF WULFF to the press.
11/28 he lobbied on radio KRKO 1380 (the media Wulff promotion continues by walden)
The search committee didn't have a chance because Walden was already out front screaming Wulff to any and all press.
12/8/07 Paul Wulff interviewed / 9th
12/12/07 Paul wullf announced

Between the interview and announcement, they didn't look at a bunch of candidates. And Walden was already flapping his gums about Wulff not just 1 day later.

"Search committee" is total bs.

Sumlin was hired on the 12th by Houston (this is who Moos wanted, but it was too late and we couldn't put together a solid offer because SOME 0-10-1 coach is blah blah blah Wulff BEFORE people even got interviewed!)

I wanted Franklin but we never got the opportunity to get him the job. He was hired by Maryland on December 23. TWO WEEKS after Wulff was announced. I knew we could get him, but would be competing against others for Sumlin.

Franklin is who I wanted, but we never got a real shot to get him to come, AND HE WOULD OF. HIS WIFE IS A WSU GRAD AND LOVES PULLMAN.

But noooooooooooo. WULFF WULFF WULFF squaks the great 0-10-1 Walden to the Press promoting someone totally unqualified for the job.

I blame Wulff for 9-40 and I blame Walden for not letting us do a proper search. He set us back into oblivion. Thank god we got Moos in there to clean house throw his crazy old ass to the curb and get Leach. But I am still pissed that we were set back like we were and lost valuable years building the program because of Walden and his cronyism big mouth.

That revisionism is such BS.

Moos headed the search committee. Ken Cassavante, faculty rep was on it as well. Doba weighed in. Hell, Dennis Erickson wrote a letter of recommend for Wulff.

Sterk made the call and Dr. Floyd signed off.

But somehow in your mind, Walden being Walden made the hire. Makes total sense. That's like saying Dennis Patchin or Rick Lukens or Jim Moore was a valued resource in evaluating the candidates.

`
Walden got out ahead of the search and lobbied to the press hard making it difficult on the search committee.

Here's the timeline

11/26 Doba resigns.
11/27 doing interviews promoting Wulff ONE F.UCKING DAY LATER HE'S OUT THERE SAYING WULFF WULFF WULFF to the press.
11/28 he lobbied on radio KRKO 1380 (the media Wulff promotion continues by walden)
The search committee didn't have a chance because Walden was already out front screaming Wulff to any and all press.
12/8/07 Paul Wulff interviewed / 9th
12/12/07 Paul wullf announced

Between the interview and announcement, they didn't look at a bunch of candidates. And Walden was already flapping his gums about Wulff not just 1 day later.

"Search committee" is total bs.

Sumlin was hired on the 12th by Houston (this is who Moos wanted, but it was too late and we couldn't put together a solid offer because SOME 0-10-1 coach is blah blah blah Wulff BEFORE people even got interviewed!)

I wanted Franklin but we never got the opportunity to get him the job. He was hired by Maryland on December 23. TWO WEEKS after Wulff was announced. I knew we could get him, but would be competing against others for Sumlin.

Franklin is who I wanted, but we never got a real shot to get him to come, AND HE WOULD OF. HIS WIFE IS A WSU GRAD AND LOVES PULLMAN.

But noooooooooooo. WULFF WULFF WULFF squaks the great 0-10-1 Walden to the Press promoting someone totally unqualified for the job.

I blame Wulff for 9-40 and I blame Walden for not letting us do a proper search. He set us back into oblivion. Thank god we got Moos in there to clean house throw his crazy old ass to the curb and get Leach. But I am still pissed that we were set back like we were and lost valuable years building the program because of Walden and his cronyism big mouth.
Good grief. Moos Sterk and ultimately Floyd were the decision makers. You get when Erickson left Sweeney threw his two cents in and said there was only one guy for the job---Price. Did Sweeney hold any weight? No. Livengood made the call. Quit making Walden's mouth more important than it actually was. Just cause someone promotes a coach via a megaphone it is imperative management washes out that noise. Outside of Walden, what fan do you believe actually said Wulff is a must? Jesus.

Bashed Mike Price.

"People that worship Walden like CougEd...look at them on here. They are laughing stock to most people because they believed every bs lie Walden told them, and now they don't know what to do because they are so caught up hating on the guy who posted 3 winning seasons and enjoying things because Walden doesn't like him and Walden's guy is out."

What BS lie does someone like me believe? What don't I know what to do? I don't enjoy winning? Really? Gotta admit my family and I hated going to San Diego after 2016 season. And we were disappointed when high school basketball got in the way this past season and prevented us from attending.

As far as being the laughing stock...by people behind a keyboard. You know what, when I actually know someone and have a connection with them then I am the laughing stock I would be concerned. For I know you haven't had your first date, havent got your first job, and have zero life experiences. (and loves Megatron) You think being the laughing stock in your eyes is hurtful?

Mike Leach is a hired gun — and a very, very good one at that, which is why a traditional power with deep pockets like Tennessee had an agreement with Leach to take over until the athletic department suddenly imploded.

Jim Walden and Paul Wulff carried Pullman, WSU and Cougar Football in their hearts.

To some folks, that means nothing.

But to others, it matters. A lot.

Mike Leach is entering his 7th season at WSU. Walden coached 9.

So, how is Leach a "hired gun" while Walden "carried WSU in his heart"?

Reactions: YakiCoug

Bleed....you have to understand the connection Walden had with WSU. He wasn't a hired gun like Powers, Sherrill, Erickson, or Leach. More than anyone he gets it when someone sees a fellow Coug in the airport and says "Go Cougs". He knows what it is like to sell the school against other Pac 10/12 schools. When I say sell Pullman, what is it a recruit can see on a two day visit? A great trip to the Met for a steak dinner? Nope. Coeds in shorts in January? Nope. Laker game? Nope. Seahawk game? Nope.

When someone asks an alumni from UW or other schools where they went to school kid the response is "I went to the UW, or I went to USC. Ask someone who graduated from WSU and they will tell you "I am a Coug." It becomes part of you, it is who you become. You cant sell what it is like to be a Coug, you can only tell someone to live it and trust the connection.

Walden is no different. He watched three coaches crap on his kids back in the mid and late 70's. He begged Warren Powers not to take the job because of what it meant to the kids. Powers didn't care. Walden, Price, Doba all came from a different era. Doba for example didn't fire coaches that he should have. He didn't run off kids that were misses in evaluation. Walden and Price were the same way.

So when Leach comes in and realizes this is big boy football, and is willing to fire coaches, he is willing to run players that aren't buying in or don't have the talent. Walden took exception because of what he saw in 76 77 and 78.

Sure, I too wish Jim would have shut his mouth. But that would be similar to saying I wish Leach would be more forthcoming when it comes to injuries, or less prickly when asked questions he doesn't want to. There are things we either accept is part of Leach (like blowing in the cup at the press conference) or we don't . They are what makes him great and yet might be a shortcoming as well.

Walden is no different. I do give Walden a pass because while his defense may have been misguided, it came from his true self, from the heart and that is who walden is and what makes him tick.

Mike Leach is entering his 7th season at WSU. Walden coached 9.

So, how is Leach a "hired gun" while Walden "carried WSU in his heart"?
It goes to ultimate connection to the university. Will Leach hang around the program or come back to the program when he is done coaching? Will he be like Walden or will he be like say Tony Bennett. It was a different time but anything Walden did it was for the program. Not to say he didn't get raises, but it seemed the school came first.

Hired gun may not be the right adjective. If Moos was still here Leach would never have even met with the Tennessee AD...or should we say lacky. Leach could be a lifer but never will have the connection....and he very much likes Pullman.

Didn’t Walden donate something like $100k for the last weight room upgrade with a pledge to double it by matching x players donations? That says a lot to me.

When was this?

Didn’t Walden donate something like $100k for the last weight room upgrade with a pledge to double it by matching x players donations? That says a lot to me.
I believe it was over 150k.

This is a joke. It's from the "Make Jim Pay" fundraiser.

It was a total flop.

When the athletics department was suffering MASSIVELY from the lack of donations in 2010 and the incredible run of..

2-11, 1-11 From 2008, 2009. from Walden's buffoonery suggestion of Wulff

Golly gee willikers the great "Sage" Walden decided to "put his money where his mouth was" and was going to donate $1 for every $5 donated.

Here's the buffoon promoting it.

Leach walked in the door and we got 1.1 million pledged.

His office naming rights went for 500k alone.

Jim Walden = TRASH. He was always a used car salesman and bullsh*tter of a coach. His scheme "make Jim Pay" was also stupid and of course making it ALL about Jim Walden.

So you think donating $100k and being on the hook for a possible additional $100k is chump change? You must be one of the many big time donars at WSU.

That revisionism is such BS.

Moos headed the search committee. Ken Cassavante, faculty rep was on it as well. Doba weighed in. Hell, Dennis Erickson wrote a letter of recommend for Wulff.

Sterk made the call and Dr. Floyd signed off.

But somehow in your mind, Walden being Walden made the hire. Makes total sense. That's like saying Dennis Patchin or Rick Lukens or Jim Moore was a valued resource in evaluating the candidates.
Moos was a consultant hired by Sterk and WSU the day Doba "firetired" after meeting with Sterk. Doba was also on the advisory committee (he was the Brady Hoke contact).

Doba in his meeting with Sterk earlier in the day actually asked for a 2 year extension.
Ken Cassavant was the actual chair of the advisory committee.
Jim Sterk had 4 years to be prepare for the departure of the elderly Bill Doba.
Jim Sterk's comment in Blanchette's Spokesman column on 12/12/07 the day Wulff was hired? "I really didn't know him" Sterk also said hiring a OC (Sumlin with 17 years of FBS coaching experience) was more of a gamble instead of a current head coach (w/ zero FBS experience).
https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=Ld0nAAAAIBAJ&sjid=gPMDAAAAIBAJ&pg=4347,531017

Reactions: mister noon
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT