ADVERTISEMENT

KJ Costello visiting UDUB today

PINGDUDE4

Hall Of Fame
Nov 14, 2010
Really kind of telling that still do not seem to have much confidence in the 3 Four Star QB's that they have on campus.

Petersen talks Sirmon out of transferring to sit behind one and done Eason. Ironically then Pete quits. And then I guess Lake wants to bring in another one and done QB.

All of this should be good news for WSU and the rest of the conference. First off personally do not think Costello is that good. Second all of this can not be great for the QB room . Also kind of funny given they blocked Haener from transferring to Cal. last season. I guess inter-conference stuff does not apply to them.

Really kind of telling that still do not seem to have much confidence in the 3 Four Star QB's that they have on campus.

Petersen talks Sirmon out of transferring to sit behind one and done Eason. Ironically then Pete quits. And then I guess Lake wants to bring in another one and done QB.

All of this should be good news for WSU and the rest of the conference. First off personally do not think Costello is that good. Second all of this can not be great for the QB room . Also kind of funny given they blocked Haener from transferring to Cal. last season. I guess inter-conference stuff does not apply to them.

Everyone is behind Sam Huard on the depth chart. The guy that is currently a HS junior. But I'm sure Jimmy will manage that just fine.

UW will do fine getting transfers until they develop their own guys. When you recruit like they do you can mask issues.

and beat WSU...

Actually think that is changing.

Lake took over a very stable well built program and is making some real rookie impetuous moves. Petersen would never make this Costello move and would work to develop the talent on his roster. His history is multi year starting QB's not back to back one and dones. Listened to more Lake interviews since he became HC and I think Rolo has comes off as a much more stable program builder.

Anytime I am in a business setting and someone constantly uses buzz words about being aggressive etc., it usually masks over all incompetence. That is what I hear with Lake.

Last edited:
I think it’s unfair to judge Lake off of the failures of Petersen and his offensive coaches. UW D has been stable and mostly due to Lake. Can’t fault him for going after transfers with the barren waste land Pete left at QB.

I think it’s unfair to judge Lake off of the failures of Petersen and his offensive coaches. UW D has been stable and mostly due to Lake. Can’t fault him for going after transfers with the barren waste land Pete left at QB.
Mostly do to Pete Kwiatkowski. It has been his defense that the uw has been running since Petersen was hired. Their defense was better when he was calling plays before Lake was elevated because the uw was afraid that he would leave.

How is having three 4-star QB's on the current roster a barren waste land ? Help me out on that one.

If they are all busts then the Rivals rating system is seriously broken.

How is having three 4-star QB's on the current roster a barren waste land ? Help me out on that one.

If they are all busts then the Rivals rating system is seriously broken.

They never developed any of them, pick up a transfer. Some leave. I don’t mean barren in regards to potential, but none of them are developed players. We have a lot of potential on our roster, but that doesn’t mean any are capable of starting yet.

Lake took over a very stable well built program and is making some real rookie impetuous moves. Petersen would never make this Costello move and would work to develop the talent on his roster. His history is multi year starting QB's not back to back one and dones. Listened to more Lake interviews since he became HC and I think Rolo has comes off as a much more stable program builder.

Anytime I am in a business setting and someone constantly uses buzz words about being aggressive etc., it usually masks over all incompetence. That is what I hear with Lake.

You put my your finger on a thought I couldn't articulate. Lake seems preoccupied with putting his stamp on the program from day 1. You expect to see this from a coach inheriting a program in turmoil, not one coming off a pretty successful run. He seems hyperfocused on the weaknesses in Petersens approach without a clear understanding of what worked.

Reactions: PINGDUDE4
UW will do fine getting transfers until they develop their own guys. When you recruit like they do you can mask issues.
Their issue has been developing their own guys. They haven’t been able to do it.

All I needed to see was that tweet of him pulling out of the garage in his purple mustang. Lake is either going to suck hind tit or get them in trouble with the NCAA again. There’s no other way that story ends, the guy is a complete douche.

It wasnt a mustang, he ain't classy enough for one of those!
All I needed to see was that tweet of him pulling out of the garage in his purple mustang. Lake is either going to suck hind tit or get them in trouble with the NCAA again. There’s no other way that story ends, the guy is a complete douche.

Reactions: CrazyAnt
Leach's new squad @MSU was also having Costello visit. Posters there are excited. I don't think he was an Air Raid guy in HS?

In any event, career completion % barely above 60%, TD to INT ratio of 2.7... not much to get excited about there.

Leach's new squad @MSU was also having Costello visit. Posters there are excited. I don't think he was an Air Raid guy in HS?

In any event, career completion % barely above 60%, TD to INT ratio of 2.7... not much to get excited about there.
It is not as if Gardner was setting the world on fire at ECU.

You put my your finger on a thought I couldn't articulate. Lake seems preoccupied with putting his stamp on the program from day 1. You expect to see this from a coach inheriting a program in turmoil, not one coming off a pretty successful run. He seems hyperfocused on the weaknesses in Petersens approach without a clear understanding of what worked.

That is great news for WSU fans. Hopefully Jimmy puts his "stamp" everywhere. In fairness, I think he'll recruit well, and the defense will continue to be good as long as Kwiatkowski sticks around. There is room for other aspects of the program to go south, though.

That is great news for WSU fans. Hopefully Jimmy puts his "stamp" everywhere. In fairness, I think he'll recruit well, and the defense will continue to be good as long as Kwiatkowski sticks around. There is room for other aspects of the program to go south, though.

Petersens formula was to score early get a lead and force teams to pass to keep up. It worked unless teams were able to withstand the early onslaught. It'll be interesting to see what Lake brings next year.

For every Minshew, there are dozens of flops.
Is this really true or just your feelings? Maybe if he goes to MSU and gets better coaching, he turns into a Minshew like story. Or, maybe he is just better than anybody on the roster now. I just don't see a downside for either MSU or the uw.

For every Minshew, there are dozens of flops.

He has a high percentage of being a flop. What the UW contingent do not seem to understand is that Costello will not be available for Spring ball.

Seriously only remember one transfer QB that did not get in spring practice working out and that was Gardner, and he was far from great early in the season. I have seen some UW dummies pointing to Joe Burrow as the reason this is a good move. Burrow played at LSU for 2 seasons, as did Kyler Murray and Baker Mayfield after transferring to OU.

Not playing Spring ball adds all sorts of complications to the deal. What happens if Sirmon lights it up in the spring, but Costello shows up in August expecting first team reps ?

A decision like this just goes to Lake's lack of understanding of the big picture of running a program and just wanting to make a splash.

Ping, agree 100%. I had the same thought. People who have the insecurity-driven need to tell you repeatedly how great they are either seem to have a deep need to try to mask their worries, or are simply oblivious to the people around them. Either is not sustainable in the UW HC fishbowl.

And can you imagine how he will react when they lose a few that they were expected to win??

Reactions: PINGDUDE4
Is this really true or just your feelings? Maybe if he goes to MSU and gets better coaching, he turns into a Minshew like story. Or, maybe he is just better than anybody on the roster now. I just don't see a downside for either MSU or the uw.
  • Is the "feelings" comment meant to be a dis? Presumably this is in contradiction to the "facts" which you have? Apologies if you're NOT trying to sound like a snob, but it sure sounds like it here.
  • I am suggesting MSU have little reason to be excited about a QB with (1) a track record of statistical mediocrity (2) inheriting a completely different system offense than he played in HS or college in (3) the back 9 of his career. Minshew was legendary expressly because he overcame all of this to be a giant in production. Do you acknowledge that a QB overcoming these headwinds is an exceptional feat; ie rarer than resuming mediocrity? Because if so, we need to talk about who is speaking from "feeling."
  • "Downside" is a straw man. I'm not saying this. I'm saying they have little cause for excitement.

• Is the "feelings" comment meant to be a dis? Presumably this is in contradiction to the "facts" which you have? Apologies if you're NOT trying to sound like a snob, but it sure sounds like it here.
  • I am suggesting MSU have little reason to be excited about a QB with (1) a track record of statistical mediocrity (2) inheriting a completely different system offense than he played in HS or college in (3) the back 9 of his career. Minshew was legendary expressly because he overcame all of this to be a giant in production. Do you acknowledge that a QB overcoming these headwinds is an exceptional feat; ie rarer than resuming mediocrity? Because if so, we need to talk about who is speaking from "feeling."
  • "Downside" is a straw man. I'm not saying this. I'm saying they have little cause for excitement.
No, not to be meant as a dis at all. After all the years of posting on here, if you think I am a snob, OK.

What I am saying is that people believe in their biased "eye" test. So, when they see something that confirms their belief, they tend to ignore contrary evidence and see only what they want to see.

Coming out of high school, Costello was rated very high. He has the tools. He will likely be drafted. He had a very good sophomore year and was injured much of this year.

I don't know if he will be good or not. But, there are reasons why those with more information about the player and their own team want Costello.

No, not to be meant as a dis at all. After all the years of posting on here, if you think I am a snob, OK.

What I am saying is that people believe in their biased "eye" test. So, when they see something that confirms their belief, they tend to ignore contrary evidence and see only what they want to see.

Coming out of high school, Costello was rated very high. He has the tools. He will likely be drafted. He had a very good sophomore year and was injured much of this year.

I don't know if he will be good or not. But, there are reasons why those with more information about the player and their own team want Costello.
If you want to throw shade, just come out and do it man - but enough with the passive aggression (bold). You are intimating that I am a low-information poster who has not achieved your (or other fans') superior level of gridiron intellect. FTR you will never hear me suggest that about you or anyone on this board.

Though Costello was not a Top 50 QB (Rivals) his year or even Top 10 in his state, he got a lot of offers, especially from schools famous for game managers. Hard to ignore the weak Stanford resume. Hard to ignore that overcoming new system / flop numbers / narrow window of time will be an uphill battle. I hope for MSU's sake (sounds like he's theirs to lose) he beats the odds.

If you want to throw shade, just come out and do it man - but enough with the passive aggression (bold). You are intimating that I am a low-information poster who has not achieved your (or other fans') superior level of gridiron intellect. FTR you will never hear me suggest that about you or anyone on this board.

Though Costello was not a Top 50 QB (Rivals) his year or even Top 10 in his state, he got a lot of offers, especially from schools famous for game managers. Hard to ignore the weak Stanford resume. Hard to ignore that overcoming new system / flop numbers / narrow window of time will be an uphill battle. I hope for MSU's sake (sounds like he's theirs to lose) he beats the odds.
Chip, I'll answer you this weekend. I am not going to waste my time now on your insecurities.

You two knock it off or I’m gonna send Strokee over to kick both of your asses!
Let them try. I could have been a contender. Frankly, I am kind of shocked that Chip is taking a nobody, me, sitting behind a computer so personally. I wasn't even trying to disrespect him at all in my first two posts. The last one, yes.

Let them try. I could have been a contender. Frankly, I am kind of shocked that Chip is taking a nobody, me, sitting behind a computer so personally. I wasn't even trying to disrespect him at all in my first two posts. The last one, yes.
‘‘Tis the season when Cougs eat their own, I’m sure it’s not personal...just nothing else going on.

‘‘Tis the season when Cougs eat their own, I’m sure it’s not personal...just nothing else going on.
So true. We have only a few islands on the vast ocean of time before the next football season. We have signing day on Wednesday. We have spring practice to look forward to watching and reading with the new coaching staff.

Hopefully, we will have a music discussion again like we had last off season. That was fun reminiscing about music last offseason.

Last edited:
You two knock it off or I’m gonna send Strokee over to kick both of your asses!
Never know what personality/poster he'll sign in as. Heard he's not feeling well today
QuarrelsomeOrneryIguanodon-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
Getting back to Costello and football, I got a chuckle reading that apparently it rained in Seattle the entire day of Costello’s official UW visit. Dub staff tried to assure him “it doesn’t always rain like this.”

Getting back to Costello and football, I got a chuckle reading that apparently it rained in Seattle the entire day of Costello’s official UW visit. Dub staff tried to assure him “it doesn’t always rain like this.”
Yeah. They use that line on all the croots

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT