ADVERTISEMENT

Leach sure seems confident about the dline

Doesn't make much sense to me either or, I suspect, any of the rest of us. He stated that he wasn't getting on well with Phelps so there is that but I haven't heard or sensed that any of the other d-linemen have a problem with him. His accusation of false rumors/accusations occurring about him seem rather minor. He would have seen a considerable time on the field and maybe even as the starter as the season progressed. As you and I and others have posited, the whole affair seems rather picayune and silly. Wish him well but sorry to see him leave.

Doesn't make much sense to me either or, I suspect, any of the rest of us. He stated that he wasn't getting on well with Phelps so there is that but I haven't heard or sensed that any of the other d-linemen have a problem with him. His accusation of false rumors/accusations occurring about him seem rather minor. He would have seen a considerable time on the field and maybe even as the starter as the season progressed. As you and I and others have posited, the whole affair seems rather picayune and silly. Wish him well but sorry to see him leave.
It is puzzling. But Mike Leach knows what it takes to win. You need buy in. If JLo was asked to play one gap technique and then sing after practice , he better be the best singer on the team if that is what Leach believed needed to be done to win.

When things are looking dire like they did against Boise State, where do you believe this players head will be at if he is in that situation needing a stop ? Better off wishing him luck and saying good bye .

Huh? Just what wrong choice did the coaching staff make 2 weeks before the first game, when no starting lineup has been announced? And no in-game performances have been judged?

This Pono guy makes no sense to me.
Agree LC. As has been said it seems Pono got a little bu%t hurt and/or overworked and bailed. He indicated he quit over a week ago. It's pretty awful timing but I guess better now than in the middle of a game.

Thanks Ed, more of those kind of post.

What you said was reasonable. 5,6 wins is a reasonable possibility. The DL, combined with other issues might cause 5,6,7 wins.

The reason why Yaki,Tron, Me, others were having a problem with what you were saying about the DL, is it seemed that you were saying, suggesting 2,3,4 win season because of the DL.

If that had been what you had been suggesting, that would not have been reasonable according to logic, reason, facts, etc.

But thanks for the clarification, and me, others should have asked for clarification.

I don't know a lot about the DL. But what I do know, have good reason to believe:

EITHER:

1. Phelps is a good coach that usually produces a good DL every year.

2. Phelps is a superior teacher at teaching superior technique.

3. Phelps is great at developing.

4. Phelps and Claeys, are great at scheme, hiding, covering up, minimizing weakness, maximizing limited strengths.

5. Phelps, Claeys, CML, other assistant coaches are great recruiters in BOTH either beating out others for recruits, evaluating under the radar, diamond in the rough talent, developing talent.

6. The players have or will have probably improved from last year, and or will probably improve as the season goes on.

Bottom line is that CML, Claeys, Phelp, will PROBABLY find a way to get it done.

Either scheme is used to hide, min/max strength/weakness.

Or improvement will happen

Or they are or will be talented enough.

Or the DL will be just barely by skin of teeth be good enough combined with offensive production.

Or the Offense will score enough.

But even if that doesnt happen and the DL is bad, they would still win a likely 5,6,7 wins.

2,3,4 wins is just not likely, probably wont happen.

Only about a 3% chance of 2,3 wins, and maybe about a 9% to 17% chance of 4 wins. And about 18 to 33% chance of 5 wins, about 34 to 44% chance at 6 wins. 45 to 55% chance of 7 wins. About 17 to 33% chance of 8 wins. 9 to 17% chance of 9 wins. 4 to 8% chance at 10 wins, 2,3% chance at 11 wins.

Only semi likely way 4.5 wins or less happens is if MASSIVE number of injuries happen, at some to a lot of offensive, defensive positions, AND WHILE IF the back ups, depth is not good enough.

And if 5,6 wins happen:

That would be pretty good, ok for a SMALL rebuild year.

In the past, there would be 1,2,3 years of only 2,3,4 wins per year, until the next 6,7,8,9,10 win, bowl game year.

Now its 5,6 wins at likely worst, and 7 wins average, 8 wins at best for a 1,2 year SMALL reload, rebuild, and then 8,9,10 wins the next year.

Thats why me, others say the DL is fine, will be ok, is because in any reload, SMALL rebuild year where get a likely 5,6,7 wins, the DL was just barely ok enough to get you that 5,6,7 wins, no matter how good or bad the DL actually was or was not.

Thats why the DL is fine, or will be fine.

Thats why me, others are not worried about it.

I'm not worried, say the DL will be just fine, because the DL will be ok enough to get 5,6,7,8 wins with 7 wins the most likely.
Mik...even before Jlo left I could see the bottom being four wins. Crap happens. Would I have been completely surprised if we had only three wins? Nope.

With the injuries piling up in one position group that was thin on experience I think Wyoming game is essential to get if there is going to be a bowl game. If we stumble in that game I fear it may be a long season in terms of wins and losses.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT