ADVERTISEMENT

Locked on Big 12 Drake Toll vs. The Monty Show, Part 2. There is some good truth here....

M-I-Coug

Hall Of Fame
Oct 13, 2002
Mercer Island
This makes sense. I've been watching both shows since Week 1. Drake brings up a good point. There's a legal battle going on, and at the moment, and the Big 12 is doing what they should be doing. Keeping out of it and staying silent......for now.

Monty is all about click bait and sensationalism. For fans.....and WSU administrators....we shouldn't give up. This is very possibile and why not? Virtually everything we to the table is positive. We'll need to wait for the current legal battle to settle, before the Big 12 makes a final decision to throw or not to throw us a lifeline.

Here’s my bottom line. The Big 12 will remain silent until after the legal dispute and/or clarity is satisfied. Then an official announcement whether we will be invited or not be invited would come.

We just have to wait and be patient. How we’re going to schedule for next year is now the big question mark?

BTW, UCLA just posted their BIG 10 schedule for next year on an email I just received. (I’m on their email distribution list because I bought a resale ticket on Stub Hub for Saturdays game).

Reactions: PeteTheChop
Here’s my bottom line. The Big 12 will remain silent until after the legal dispute and/or clarity is satisfied. Then an official announcement whether we will be invited or not be invited would come.

We just have to wait and be patient. How we’re going to schedule for next year is now the big question mark?

BTW, UCLA just posted their BIG 10 schedule for next year on an email I just received. (I’m on their email distribution list because I bought a resale ticket on Stub Hub for Saturdays game).
No Oregon or UW. Do play Michigan and OSU.

Oregon and UCLA have a difference on their schedules. One says O plays UCLA the other doesn’t have them playing.

Last edited:
I don't know how you guys can put time into watching these shows that are pure speculation. Confirmation bias, maybe?

Agreed. I don’t think scheduling is going to be a problem. AI can create schedules in minutes. Sounds like MWC is ready to go if needed for OOC scheduling.

Agreed. I don’t think scheduling is going to be a problem. AI can create schedules in minutes. Sounds like MWC is ready to go if needed for OOC scheduling.
We go independent for one or two years and wait for a Power 4 invite. The problem is coaching staff and recruiting.

Not excited about poaching G5, because it won’t be a Power 5 Conference. We need to recruit and retain our coaching staff, therefore holding off for the Big 12 makes more sense.

I don't know how you guys can put time into watching these shows that are pure speculation. Confirmation bias, maybe?
Hope is the reason.

People watch and listen to this stuff because of hope, people that broadcast this stuff hope that people watch. We all hope the Cougs continue to be a power 5 time, any blog, post, or podcast that suggests hope gets looks, which is what both are looking for.

The Baylor AD has stated with regard to the OSU/WSU in negotiations to join the Big-12 rumor, "there is no truth to it." Chun's open letter seeking NCAA "compassion" going forward, is a very strange move if we are on the brink of joining the Big 12 in the near future, don't you think?

Last edited:
The Baylor AD has stated with regard to the OSU/WSU in negotiations to join the Big-12 rumor, "there is no truth to it." Chun's open letter seeking NCAA "compassion" going forward, is a very strange move if our on the brink of joining the Big 12 in the near future, don't you think?

I watched the comments from the Baylor AD and my gut tells me that WSU and OSU to the Big 12 is a close to done deal. They are just waiting for the court proceedings to get to the point where it can become public knowledge without negative impacts to WSU and OSU (and the Big 12). We wouldn't want to inadvertently give notice and lose out on what the feckless 10 owe us.

Reactions: mikalalas
I watched the comments from the Baylor AD and my gut tells me that WSU and OSU to the Big 12 is a close to done deal. They are just waiting for the court proceedings to get to the point where it can become public knowledge without negative impacts to WSU and OSU (and the Big 12). We wouldn't want to inadvertently give notice and lose out on what the feckless 10 owe us.
Gut feelings can be based on an underlying set of facts. Or they are based on a religion-like belief, a gut feeling without any support. What is your's based?

I didn't see it so I'll defer to your gut, but the AD sez there is no truth to the rumor yet you think it's almost a done deal?

I see the merit in holding off for a year in anticipation of this 2 team windfall. But next year will be bitch to schedule. Someone posted that a schedule can be thrown together in no time. Well sure. How many teams don't already have set schedule? Or will in the next couple of months? And how is it going to work late season where schools are heavy into conference play? Yeah we can play OSU late season, but that is one game. I highly doubt that the MW will upend their league schedule just to let us and OSU squeeze in.

The Baylor AD has stated with regard to the OSU/WSU in negotiations to join the Big-12 rumor, "there is no truth to it." Chun's open letter seeking NCAA "compassion" going forward, is a very strange move if we are on the brink of joining the Big 12 in the near future, don't you think?
The thing is… if we were or weren’t/are or aren’t joining the big12, the message would be the same. So asking the question and listening to the answer means nothing. It all means nothing until after the 12 schools know who controls what and how they will proceed with assets.

A WSU and OSU with good viewership, 10’s of millions of cash, and a network is lucrative. A WSU and OSU with 2/12th share of the total assets, maybe not. Still won’t know until after the court case.

The thing is… if we were or weren’t/are or aren’t joining the big12, the message would be the same. So asking the question and listening to the answer means nothing. It all means nothing until after the 12 schools know who controls what and how they will proceed with assets.

A WSU and OSU with good viewership, 10’s of millions of cash, and a network is lucrative. A WSU and OSU with 2/12th share of the total assets, maybe not. Still won’t know until after the court case.
This right here. Everyone’s mum until the $$ becomes more clear.

Reactions: mikalalas
I didn't see it so I'll defer to your gut, but the AD sez there is no truth to the rumor yet you think it's almost a done deal?

I see the merit in holding off for a year in anticipation of this 2 team windfall. But next year will be bitch to schedule. Someone posted that a schedule can be thrown together in no time. Well sure. How many teams don't already have set schedule? Or will in the next couple of months? And how is it going to work late season where schools are heavy into conference play? Yeah we can play OSU late season, but that is one game. I highly doubt that the MW will upend their league schedule just to let us and OSU squeeze in.

I'm 99% sure that my gut is wrong but the thing that really stuck out to me is that the AD felt compelled to say, "at this time" more than once and he also said that things could change down the road. If we are negotiating with them and trying to work the Pac-12 angle, there can't be any admissions of discussions. It would be a little dirty for us and OSU to hoard the money and then dissolve the conference, but given the back stabbin' handed out by the feckless 10...they don't have any moral high ground to stand on.

The Big 12 wouldn't have taken us earlier like some here have suggested, if the Big 12 were going to take us.

The reason why the Big 12 hasn't taken us:

1. They probably didn't know, see the value of WSU, AT FIRST(That's ever so gradually changing, that not completed yet.)

2. If WSU does not have clarity, does not get control of PAC 12, 300 million, votes, and starts losing, etc, the Big 12 wouldn't be interested.

3. Because of point 2 above, the Big 12 is in a WAIT AND SEE APPROACH. Of course the answer if they are asked, is that they have no interest in WSU, OSU, and any rumors that say they are interested, are FALSE.

The BIG 12 IS NOT INTERESTED AT THIS TIME, BUT BUT, The Big 12 might semi probably be semi interested later, AFTER WSU, OSU get CLARITY, CONTROL over EVERYTHING PAC 12 related.

4. If WSU, OSU get control over everything PAC 12 related, COMBINED with WSU going 12-1, COMBINED WITH Pres Schultz being the CFP chair with a vote that would BLOCK everything, then if WSU, OSU gets 300 million, COMBINED WITH WSU'S TV, SEATTLE, ETC.

Then the BIG 12 would want WSU, OSU, for all the reasons above, but if for nothing else, WSU, OSU would either do a settlement, or If WSU, OSU goes to Big 12:

1. The 300 million goes to either all the PAC 12 teams, all 12 teams, or because the PAC 12 then dissolved, the 300 million could if it doesn't go to all 12 PAC 12 teams, the money would go to the other 4 power conferences, INCLUDING THE BIG 12.

IF the Big 12 gets a extra 80 million because of that, if that were to happen, THAT THEN WOULD BE A REASON FOR THE BIG 12 TO ADD WSU, OSU, SO THAT THEY THE BIG 12 COULD, WOULD GET 80 MILLION.

And IF the Big 12 is interested in WSU, OSU, because of all the above, they still are not going to say so, and still will say they are technically not interested, and would still play the WAIT AND SEE.

Because of the above there SEMI MIGHT SEMI PROBABLY BE ABOUT A 23% TO 33% TO 43% to 53% chance that Big 12 add WSU, OSU.

So just like the Big 12 we are going to have to play the wait and see game, and shouldn't say that the Big 12, is not going to add WSU, OSU.

And we shouldn't say that WSU will join the Big 12.

There is LOGIC, REASONS, ETC, on why WSU, OSU, semi might semi probably go to Big 12.

Reactions: M-I-Coug

The MWC would, once WSU, OSU wins control of everything PAC 12, on, by 11-14, and then pays 33 million to MWC to be let into MWC schedule, as part of a cobbled together scheduling alliance.

Also WSU, OSU have probably been talking with the MWC for the last 2,3,4 months laying the groundwork for a schedule alliance in the event that WSU, OSU control everything PAC 12, and that as soon as they find out, they contact MWC, and flip the on switch for the scheduling alliance groundwork plan.

Please see my other comment, in reply to your and others comment here.

Add to that comment this:

Let's say that either Chun, Schultz, WSU, OSU, either doesn't know that Big 12 interested, but playing wait and see game, or let's say that Big 12 is not interested or not interested enough now, but WSU, OSU is ever so slowly, gradually becoming more interesting to Big 12, that Big 12, even tho not interested yet, become interested or interested enough 12 to 18 months from now.

In those things, Chun, Schultz, WSU, OSU could think that they are not going to goto Big 12, and so Chun ask for compassion in the letter.

There are reasons for, why WSU, OSU go to Big 12.

My other comment outlined those.

And maybe WSU, OSU, Chun, are unaware of those logical reasons, etc.

And that's if go by what you say, that the reason Chun asked for compassion, is because supposedly not going to Big 12.

But for things like Chun asking for compassion, there are WSU recruits telling a former CU star player, that they were told that WSU going to Big 12, etc.

However you slice it, we just don't know for absolute certain either way if going to Big 12.

But there are certainly extremely logical reasons for WSU, OSU to goto Big 12.

We will just have to stay tuned, keep watching, and wait and see.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT