ADVERTISEMENT

More Transfers

7ICoug

Hall Of Fame
Jan 30, 2003
Ty Roberts and Tony Miller to the portal. Miller must have played 10 years.

Ty Roberts and Tony Miller to the portal. Miller must have played 10 years.

Ty Roberts! That is very surprising...although NOTHING should surprise me anymore on the transfer portal musical chairs game.

Is there something wrong with this program...or just "normal" attrition? I'm not sure, but I'm leaning a bit more to the former.

That's it, either Tyrell Roberts is panicking, an or even if he isn't, the rest of the players Jackson, Jaki, Bamba, Gueye(He is not going to NBA, etc), etc, are going to panic, transfer, disintegrate, destroy the rest of the roster. Snowball probably can't or won't be stopped.

While Smith can get good replacements, he probably won't be able to get 5 to 10 serviceably ok replacements.

WSU will be lucky to win 13,14,15;games an or maybe sneak into CBI with 15,16 wins, and WSU could tank as far as 10,11,12 wins

That's what probably will happen, unless Smith pulls off a miracle.

No reason for Diongue, other recruits to join this mess at WSU.

Hope Tyrell enjoys sitting out his mandatory sit out year for his transfer after his 1 free transfer, unless he is a grad transfer.

Bamba and Rice are the only 2 guards left.

Flowers, Roberts, Rapp, Noah, all gone.

Freaking losing 5,6, FIVE, SIX IMPACT/KEY/ contributing players

Freaking go from being a extremely likely to go-to NCAA 2nd Round, Sweet 16, Elite 8, etc, to being Ore St, last place team, etc.

Whose Next, GARANTEE that there will be a next this off-season.

Ty Roberts! That is very surprising...although NOTHING should surprise me anymore on the transfer portal musical chairs game.

Is there something wrong with this program...or just "normal" attrition? I'm not sure, but I'm leaning a bit more to the former.

It's the Snowball scenario I mentioned in the other thread.

A Noah type transfers. Friends of that player transfers because of that in addition to other reasons(play time, perceived better chance at NBA, etc). Then others transfer because of friendship AND because maybe they think HC can't replace transfers, and that team might tank. Then players panic transfer. Rinse, Wash repeat until almost entire team is GUTTED, GONE, DESTROYED, ETC.

A Noah type transfers. Friends of that player transfers because of that in addition to other reasons(play time, perceived better chance at NBA, etc). Then others transfer because of friendship AND because maybe they think HC can't replace transfers, and that team might tank. Then players panic transfer. Rinse, Wash repeat until almost entire team is GUTTED, GONE, DESTROYED, ETC.
It's like a Snowball effect. Once the Snowball, Avalanche go down the hill, mountain, it's hard to stop, deal with.

I lean toward the latter. There is nothing surprising about any of this. Roberts has a history of moving. Fully expected Noah and Rapp to transfer. Not really surprised by Efe. I expected him to test NBA, but hoped he wouldn't transfer. Miller, even if he wasn't injured as usual, wasn't going to see any playing time.

Robert's is a grad transfer. If he's leaving because of a grad program that would make a lot more sense.

A player I hope kicks the tires with us is Khalil Shabazz out of USF. I don't believe he ever played for Smith but seems like he would be a fit.

I think there is some movement going on behind the scenes, at least I hope that is the case. My hope is that there might be some transfers coming in that are not announced yet. Maybe Roberts wants to go back to CA, maybe he got some NIL money somewhere, there are so many variables these days it is hard to say. I don't think its the staff, you look at any program and there are transfers everywhere. The transfer portal is still a relatively new experiment, hopefully after dealing with it for years we will see less activity, but right now it doesn't look that way. As of last week over 1400 players have hit the portal, there are about 350 D1 programs, so that is an average of 4 per school. I believe the deadline to enter is May 1, so in the next month we will see who comes in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coug1990
I think there is some movement going on behind the scenes, at least I hope that is the case. My hope is that there might be some transfers coming in that are not announced yet. Maybe Roberts wants to go back to CA, maybe he got some NIL money somewhere, there are so many variables these days it is hard to say. I don't think its the staff, you look at any program and there are transfers everywhere. The transfer portal is still a relatively new experiment, hopefully after dealing with it for years we will see less activity, but right now it doesn't look that way. As of last week over 1400 players have hit the portal, there are about 350 D1 programs, so that is an average of 4 per school. I believe the deadline to enter is May 1, so in the next month we will see who comes in.
I believe the May 1 deadline is for immediate eligibility for first time transfers. The school has 2 days to enter players so announcements could limp through for a couple days after the May 1 deadline.

This is the new norm. I doubt it has much to do with the staff although this year there seemed to be a lot going on behind the scenes. The staff has always been active in the portal. Hopefully it pays off as the roster is built back up.

I lean toward the latter. There is nothing surprising about any of this. Roberts has a history of moving. Fully expected Noah and Rapp to transfer. Not really surprised by Efe. I expected him to test NBA, but hoped he wouldn't transfer. Miller, even if he wasn't injured as usual, wasn't going to see any playing time.
Good points.

Yeah programs lose a KEY player to the Portal, and yeah programs lose 3,4,5,6,7, NON KEY, DEEP RESERVE NOT GONA GET PLAYING TIME, ETC, players that they can AFFORD, won't hurt or won't hurt that much losing.

WSU has already lost 5, FIVE KEY PLAYERS, STARTERS.

These are players that collectively in numbers, WSU can't afford to lose, and losing them does hurt.

And COLLECTIVELY, the numbers of players either aren't replaceable with good enough players, an or harder to replace.

Also these other programs ARENT COMMONLY having the Transfer Portal cause them to go from a extremely likely 25 to 30 wins(after post season), 2nd in conference, 3 wins in Conference tourny, 4th to 7th seed in NCAA, 2nd round to Sweet 16 to Elite 8(Pre Transfers), and then extremely likely go down to about 10 to 15,16 wins, maybe sneak into CBI, maybe finish last in conference, after having a good post season(Post, after transfers)

Not a ACCURATE comparison to these OTHER programs. APPLES TO ORANGES, instead of APPLES TO APPLES.

But your partially right about how that no matter whether it's hitting programs as hard as WSU, that's just the Portal and the Snowball, Avalanche scenario example I explained

Yeah programs lose a KEY player to the Portal, and yeah programs lose 3,4,5,6,7, NON KEY, DEEP RESERVE NOT GONA GET PLAYING TIME, ETC, players that they can AFFORD, won't hurt or won't hurt that much losing.

WSU has already lost 5, FIVE KEY PLAYERS, STARTERS.

These are players that collectively in numbers, WSU can't afford to lose, and losing them does hurt.

And COLLECTIVELY, the numbers of players either aren't replaceable with good enough players, an or harder to replace.

Also these other programs ARENT COMMONLY having the Transfer Portal cause them to go from a extremely likely 25 to 30 wins(after post season), 2nd in conference, 3 wins in Conference tourny, 4th to 7th seed in NCAA, 2nd round to Sweet 16 to Elite 8(Pre Transfers), and then extremely likely go down to about 10 to 15,16 wins, maybe sneak into CBI, maybe finish last in conference, after having a good post season(Post, after transfers)

Not a ACCURATE comparison to these OTHER programs. APPLES TO ORANGES, instead of APPLES TO APPLES.

But your partially right about how that no matter whether it's hitting programs as hard as WSU, that's just the Portal and the Snowball, Avalanche scenario example I explained

And the 5,6 that WSU has lost is just the start. I wouldn't be surprised if Jackson, Gueye, Bamba, Rodman, 4 MORE TRANSFER out for a total of 8,9 transferring out.

That would pretty much be the whole freaking rotation, team that would be almost impossible to replace.

And it's even theoretically possible that either WSU Smith either not able to replace them at all, an or replace them with garbage and only win 1 game all season long.

That's how DIRE this team could end up, and it's not even Smith's fault.

Needless to say Mik, you're in a full blown panic mode, I don't like this, but it is the way things are right now. The key players lost to the portal are Noah, Effe, and Roberts, all major contributors last year, Rapp, Warren, and Jefferson, and Miller, were non factors and probably saw themselves not getting any playing time, or were unhappy they didn't so they are leaving anyway. So 3 key contributors are gone, and we have one graduating, Flowers. To start suggesting the sky is falling and the whole team is leaving is a bit much, but I suppose it's possible. And we will know within 2 days. Assuming Jackson, Geuye, Bamba, Rodman and Yaki are back, it gives you a good starting point, replacing Noah and Tyrell through the portal is possible, Effe probably not. I love Effe and love his confidence, but I do think his confidence exceeds his talent at times. Someone got in his ear about the NBA and if that doesn't work you'll find a big NIL deal outside of Pullman, and I am sure he will. I hope all these guys find what they are looking for, but most won't and maybe that will slow down the portal in the future. I don't like any of this either, but unfortunately is is the new face of college sports. Oregon, USC, OSU, ASU and others have all lost key players to the portal. There are 2 recruiting periods now, the high school and JC player period, and then there is the portal recruiting period. Rosters are moving around like NBA teams ,if not quicker, and those that learn how to adapt and recruit a half of a new roster each year will survive. I'd hate to be a coach right now, but somehow you have to create an environment where everyone wants to stay, much easier done than said. Everyone had supported the players and the NIL options, I know most fans have, however the portal and NIL will drive fans away if you can't keep players, and it will also drive away the NIL money. It's tough to be a fan right now.

The AAU-ization of college basketball is complete.

Soon enough, players will be switching teams between weekends.
I was thinking that they would come out in one teams' jersey to start the game, and then transfer during half time, and come out with the opposing team's jersey.

I was thinking that they would come out in one teams' jersey to start the game, and then transfer during half time, and come out with the opposing team's jersey.
Unless the deeply corrupt NCAA can come up with a way to control this that would stand up in court, I don't know why it won't continue.

I mean...why can't a player change teams just like their coach? Pursuit of happiness and all that...

Well I am thinking that there is some significant additions about to come. Guards and Bigs
One thing a poster brought up on the other board is maybe with some players it's a way to keep their options open. Roberts could be in this kind of position. Maybe he thinks he's being recruited over? Maybe he simply wants time to assess options and needs to get his name into the portal for that to take place and be eligible to play next year if he were to transfer.

FWIW, I haven't seen an announcement on Roberts Twitter/Instagram. So now we will probably see the "I'm never going to set foot in Pullman again" in 3, 2, 1...

Hmm.. I’ve said from
The beginning…

No panic.. it’s actually exactly what I said..There are issues with coaches relating to and communicating with players..

Sounds like pure speculation to me
At some point the number of circumstances occurring has to lead one to a set of possible conclusions… Is it possible that each of these decisions over the last 2 years occurred in a vacuum? Absolutely! I just believe it’s far more likely given the names, the timing, and the number of people equals an issue. May not be anything major, but certainly a disconnect in communication and expectations… Some blame the portal.. Which I can certainly understand…I just believe the portal allows for kids who have that disconnect or a different set of expectations to move around… It doesn’t happen at every program and rarely with the numbers we’ve seen over the past 2 years… Might some of it be initiated by the coaches, of course… Does it affect the players when coaches handle players that way.. Absolutely. Bare in mind those kids jettisoned from the program last year were friends of the current players as well.. They battled together… Those types of moves create an attitude amongst players that they are expendable “a negative” if you will.. I believe we are seeing the results of that now..

At some point the number of circumstances occurring has to lead one to a set of possible conclusions… Is it possible that each of these decisions over the last 2 years occurred in a vacuum? Absolutely! I just believe it’s far more likely given the names, the timing, and the number of people equals an issue. May not be anything major, but certainly a disconnect in communication and expectations… Some blame the portal.. Which I can certainly understand…I just believe the portal allows for kids who have that disconnect or a different set of expectations to move around… It doesn’t happen at every program and rarely with the numbers we’ve seen over the past 2 years… Might some of it be initiated by the coaches, of course… Does it affect the players when coaches handle players that way.. Absolutely. Bare in mind those kids jettisoned from the program last year were friends of the current players as well.. They battled together… Those types of moves create an attitude amongst players that they are expendable “a negative” if you will.. I believe we are seeing the results of that now..
Human Nature tells me that people who are happy typically don’t make these types of decisions.. Relationships, Buisness, sports, it makes no difference. Unless I see a huge $$ commitment to these guys I stand on my speculation…

Who was "jettisoned from the program last year"?

Lots of opinion floating around, some I agree with some not so much.

first I believe we had potential to make theNCAA tourney but in no way guaranteed to make it. Even if we returned every single player including Flowers and had the same team. Why? Because we didn’t come close to making it this year, definitely no guarantee the same team would improve next year.

second I don’t think anybody is offering Efe big or any NIL money. He literally scored 8 points and grabbed 5 boards a game. He is at this point an also ran PAC 12 player with potential nothing less nothing more.

third it’s way to early to panic. We have no idea who we are bringing in. We could easily upgrade from every player who has left. At this point we just don’t know.

Relax, wait and enjoy the ride!

Lots of opinion floating around, some I agree with some not so much.

first I believe we had potential to make theNCAA tourney but in no way guaranteed to make it. Even if we returned every single player including Flowers and had the same team. Why? Because we didn’t come close to making it this year, definitely no guarantee the same team would improve next year.

second I don’t think anybody is offering Efe big or any NIL money. He literally scored 8 points and grabbed 5 boards a game. He is at this point an also ran PAC 12 player with potential nothing less nothing more.

third it’s way to early to panic. We have no idea who we are bringing in. We could easily upgrade from every player who has left. At this point we just don’t know.

Relax, wait and enjoy the ride!
I am not panicked at all.. Merely giving an opinion..

Who was "jettisoned from the program last year"?
Correct me if I am wrong, but I was referring to Rapp, Kunz, Kouilaby. All players in my mind who were shown the door in an effort to open up spots for conceivably better players.. I hear people say it’s ok, so long as we get better players. I won’t agree or disagree, but the fact remains that it sends a message to players, even those that remain… I get that it has become a business and is within the rules. There are certainly times where the fit between school, team, and player is just not there.. But, getting into the practice of pushing kids out the door to free up scholarships, sews disconnect, lack of loyalty, and creates an Everyman for himself mentality…
As a coach you are often the victim or beneficiary of the environment you create…
I prefer to see a coach develop the kids he made a commitment to.. You can’t stop them from leaving, but it should be rare that you encourage them to do so… Just my 2cents

Reactions: jourdand
I Agree loyalty to players is gone and that perpetuates the attitude of me me me. And quite frankly you can’t blame the player for leaving when they see there friends run off. Have a bad year or a new recruit comes in and you could be next

Correct me if I am wrong, but I was referring to Rapp, Kunz, Kouilaby. All players in my mind who were shown the door in an effort to open up spots for conceivably better players.. I hear people say it’s ok, so long as we get better players. I won’t agree or disagree, but the fact remains that it sends a message to players, even those that remain… I get that it has become a business and is within the rules. There are certainly times where the fit between school, team, and player is just not there.. But, getting into the practice of pushing kids out the door to free up scholarships, sews disconnect, lack of loyalty, and creates an Everyman for himself mentality…
As a coach you are often the victim or beneficiary of the environment you create…
I prefer to see a coach develop the kids he made a commitment to.. You can’t stop them from leaving, but it should be rare that you encourage them to do so… Just my 2cents
I’m pretty sure they wanted Kunc back. At least Smith mentioned wanting him back during ooc. If they wanted him gone then why not push him out the year before? His last 10 games in Pullman he made a big impact. Arguably the most productive and consistent player until the Pac 12 Tournament. Before that, he was a good soldier type.

Something went down with Koulibaly during the season. He disappeared for whatever reason. Some posts saying whatever it was it was a “young” type move on his part. Rumors but seemed there was some smoke to them.

Rapp want going to play but didn’t think he would necessarily leave.

I prefer to see a coach develop the kids he made a commitment to.. You can’t stop them from leaving, but it should be rare that you encourage them to do so… Just my 2cent

It's not known whether Smith asked, encouraged those players to leave.

Rapp was a Grad Transfer, so he may have left to go-to a better graduate program combined with lack of playing time.

Smith may have told him that he wasn't going to get playing time. Doubt that Smith actually asked him to leave.

But even if he did(Doubt it), we really DONT KNOW, just conjecture.

Kunc same as Rapp was a Grad Transfer that likewise may have wanted to goto better graduate program, combined with lack of playing time.

Again Smith may have told him that he was not going to get playing time. Again Smith may have asked him to leave, but again, doubt it. And again, we don't know, conjecture, etc.

I don't know and we don't know all of the Koulibaly situation, but Koulibaly didn't like that he wasn't getting as much playing time, and he seemed to pout, have a bad attitude, and might have whined, complained. And he seemingly disciplined, for something and because of that he seemingly LEFT the team, etc. He probably wasn't forced to leave, but again we don't know, conjecture.

You are mixing two different years, Coug4Life, last year Kunz and Jaki, and Jaki came back as the grass was not greener. This year its Jeff, Rapp, and Noah, and Efe. Rapp wanted to graduate. Jeff Quit on the team 2-4 months prior to the end of the season, Noah most fans didn't like and he clearly needed to clear his head and decided home was the place to do that. Efe 100% wants to go Pro and if not wants NIL money.

Most interesting is that the guy we got to replace Kunz bailed as he couldn't qualify for WSU PolSci Graduate program and is now once again in the portal, so I guess Grad school wasn't his cup of tea. Nor did he play any significant minutes for UA.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT