ADVERTISEMENT

Most Cougs actually like Gonzaga?

PeteTheChop

Hall Of Fame
May 25, 2005
One of the guys in my office, a recent WSU graduate, is a huge Cougar Football fan and GU Basketball fan — and says most of his folks he graduated with are the same way.

As a matter of fact, they would even go to Spokane a time or two each season to attend a Zags game.

This person and his friends see absolutely no problem with this "dual affection" since, he explained, the teams don't compete in football or basketball.

I'm long gone from my school days, so I had no idea that "CougZags" actually existed until I listened to this person talk about it with pride for 20 minutes!

Are any of the diehards here aware of this phenomenon?

And are any of you also fans of the Gonzaga basketball and Coach Mark Few?

I did like Gonzaga but not anymore. When Few stopped scheduling WSU in basketball because, as he was quoted “we do not play bottom feeders” that was the day I stopped liking Gonzaga.

WSU and Gonzaga had a great rivalry series for 80+ years and Few ended it. WSU leads the series by a wide margin and while Gonzaga has dominated the last 20 years the games were still competitive. I will not root for Gonzaga again until the series is renewed and their fans are almost as putrid as the Mutts.

Last edited:
no. screw few, screw GU, screw "dual Cougs".

I won't go as far as say that they are the reason we suck at MBB, but them being strong definitely doesn't help our cause. How any "Coug" can root for them is beyond me.

Reactions: wazzucougs96
Definitely aware of it. Few wouldn't admit to it but it bothered him and others in the program when WSU would come to the Kennel that a lot of people were suddenly clad in crimson. A lot of their season ticket holders are Cougars. I really liked them when they were getting good. Never to the extent that it would make me more a fan of them than us though. I don't really get that but to each his own.

I'm not a fan of GU and even less of Mark Few. With some of the Med school stuff I am even less of a fan of their institution. They really aren't a friend of WSU or the state for that matter. If the med school stuff is true they put their interest above the state just like the UW. FUW and FGU.

I did like Gonzaga but not anymore. When Few stopped scheduling WSU in basketball because, as he was quoted “we do not play bottom feeders” that was the day I stopped liking Gonzaga.

I'm not a Zags fan but can respect what they've been able to accomplish. When did Few make that comment, and what were the circumstances? (I seem to remember Gonzaga wanting an inequitable split in where the games are played, but don't remember a quote like that.)

I'm not a Zags fan but can respect what they've been able to accomplish. When did Few make that comment, and what were the circumstances? (I seem to remember Gonzaga wanting an inequitable split in where the games are played, but don't remember a quote like that.)
Believe he said it during our "dark years" if I remember correctly. While there was some truth to the statement it's one of those things he could have chosen to express differently. When the Bennett's came in he said things that seemed to suggest he respected them personally but not exactly WSU if you know what I mean.

He's a really good coach but to me comes off as one of those people with a gigantic stick up their bum that thinks their poop doesn't smell like the rest of us.

Hmm, guess this thread struck a bit of a chord for me. Ha!

Monson was actually the guy who badmouthed WSU the most. Though Few and Lloyd titter amongst themselves regularly.

What's this new generation coming to? True Cougs don't root for another team because ours sucks in a certain sport. Take the pain like the rest of us have in countless years of bad teams in both basketball and football. Get a backbone dammit!

A lot of Coug alums in the area are season ticket holders and use the games for socializing and networking...which are good business builders. GU has been a top West Coast team for about twenty years, so they get to see good basketball as part of the bargain. I think my Cougs are looking at years before they can successfully compete.

One of the guys in my office, a recent WSU graduate, is a huge Cougar Football fan and GU Basketball fan — and says most of his folks he graduated with are the same way.

As a matter of fact, they would even go to Spokane a time or two each season to attend a Zags game.

This person and his friends see absolutely no problem with this "dual affection" since, he explained, the teams don't compete in football or basketball.

I'm long gone from my school days, so I had no idea that "CougZags" actually existed until I listened to this person talk about it with pride for 20 minutes!

As a Spokane Coug, I have grown very tired of being inundated with GU basketball day in, day out from October to April of every year.

The last 3 games Gonzaga would only play in Spokane with games 1 and 3 on their home court and the with WSU’s “home” game being played in the Spokane Arena.

F Gonzaga and F Mark Few. And yes, I cheered my ass off for North Carolina in last year’s title game and went to bed with huge smile in my face because Gonzaga lost.

Betty White doesn't like them either - here she is at a game in spokane

images

Reactions: SDCoug
For some
F Gonzaga and F Mark Few.

What is about Mark Few?

Zags fans and basketball journalists like Bud Withers and Andy Katz worship at his alter.

There also a lot of fans of other teams — and maybe a few rival coaches — who barely can hide their contempt.

Again, why does Few elicit so many strong reactions?

Pete, what year did you graduate from WSU? I think the perception on this issue may have changed over time.

For some

What is about Mark Few?

Zags fans and basketball journalists like Bud Withers and Andy Katz worship at his alter.

There also a lot of fans of other teams — and maybe a few rival coaches — who barely can hide their contempt.

And, if i remember right, isn't Bud a Coug?

Cause the guy absolutes loves the Zags

Pete, what year did you graduate from WSU? I think the perception on this issue may have changed over time.

Well, I barely graduated from high school, much less any college.

Used to be ashamed about it, but I've done OK for a working stiff I guess.

Started following the Cougs closely in the days of Clete Casper and Ricky Turner.

Anybody else old enough to remember watching them play?

For some

What is about Mark Few?

There are a lot of people that fell in love with the “little engine that could” era of GU basketball- back when they made it to the Elite 8 with Cavalry and those guys. A lot of them think this is still the same “little engine that could” era.

Reactions: Wasichus
I go back to Hank Grenda, Steve Boots, Jerry Henderson, etc , so Casper and Turner seem like yesterday.

Started following the Cougs closely in the days of Clete Casper and Ricky Turner.

No worries on that front at all -- I'm all for the Cougs having as many non-alumni (and non-attendee) fans as they can get, and there's no reason to be ashamed. Honestly, at times I've thought you were a UW troll due to the way you'd ask a lot of questions that seemed designed to get people to respond with unflattering facts about the football program. Has since become apparent that this is unlikely.

Uh yeah, I was attending WSU then.

Here's my Gonzaga take (I hate them).

Back in the Bennett glory days when we beat them home and away life was good. Enduring image of Baynes with blood dripping down his face at the game in Spokane as we ground out a win.

At a home game around that time (can't remember if we won that year) the place had way too many Gonzaga cretins there. One Gonzaga punk was prowling the inner concourse flipping the bird and yelling F-you to everyone. Families, kids, didn't matter. I went down there and would have punched him if Security had not arrived and ejected him. Class act, Jesuits.

Then there were the "Casto can't read" chants up at the kennel. Can't remember Casto's whole growing up story but I think it was sad (didn't his mom die?). Class act, Jesuits.

Then there is the school itself. Academically low to middle of the road at best, certainly not a National Doctoral research institution. Their entire identity is their basketball team. Their enrollment growth is solely due to their basketball team. Donations flow in primarily because of their basketball team. But they think they are something else. It was OK when they were a blue collar-ish underdog, with the Santangelo's and Calvary's. Now they are just a basketball team with a school around them. And think that makes them special. I hate them.

No worries on that front at all -- I'm all for the Cougs having as many non-alumni (and non-attendee) fans as they can get, and there's no reason to be ashamed. Honestly, at times I've thought you were a UW troll due to the way you'd ask a lot of questions that seemed designed to get people to respond with unflattering facts about the football program. Has since become apparent that this is unlikely.

Thanks 425.

Glad to be here and discussing talking WSU Football and Basketball on CougZone, although I didn't know the "Beasley Baseline" forum even existed until Glad Cougar pointed it out for me a couple days ago.

I go back to Hank Grenda, Steve Boots, Jerry Henderson, etc , so Casper and Turner seem like yesterday.

Yeah, I started following the Cougs as a grade schooler in 1965 - Tom Roth, Larry Eilmes and Doug Flansburg were my early heroes.

As for Coug hoops - they didn't carry them much on TV/radio back in the day (as I recall), but I would rush out to get the Spokesman Review off the porch every AM following a game, so that I could read up on the exploits of guys like Jim McKean, Ray Stein, Lenny Allen and Ted Wierman.

Last edited:
Thanks 425.

Glad to be here and discussing talking WSU Football and Basketball on CougZone, although I didn't know the "Beasley Baseline" forum even existed until Glad Cougar pointed it out for me a couple days ago.

BTW, "Baseline" refers to the pulse of our basketball programs. I think Scott is going to change it to "Flatline". :p

I just wanted to say that I appreciate how young you guys are making me feel. My knee hurts from playing basketball last night.

Holy smokes! I was in school right after Ty Paine was finishing up his career as WSU's QB. Was there for the Wally Bennett-John Hopkins-Jack Thompson run. You are still a pup, Pete! (wrong term, especially given the topic! Sorry about that)

Glad Cougar

same here

glad to know there's more then one old fart on this forum

No wonder none of you make any sense or bring anything to the table. You are all a bunch of senile old geezers! My mantra: Never trust anyone over 60 or under 50.

And my knee hurts from playing softball - 15 years ago. And my ankle from rec league football - 30 years ago. And my prostate from........oh never mind that.

Die hard Coug, but enjoy sometimes wearing a Zag shirt around Seattle. At least they can kick the Mutt's a$$es every year and scores are not even close. Never get a rude remark, unlike wearing a Coug shirt here.

I’m split, kinda like I am with Oregon. Few is kind of a douche, but I like that they ended the series with UW because the UW was trying to big time them. So, similar to Oregon, I find solidarity in our mutual hate for UW. So F Gonzaga, but F UW about 1000 times more.

I’m split, kinda like I am with Oregon. Few is kind of a douche, but I like that they ended the series with UW because the UW was trying to big time them. So, similar to Oregon, I find solidarity in our mutual hate for UW. So F Gonzaga, but F UW about 1000 times more.

F Oregon too.

Reactions: BleedCrimsonandGray

WSU and Gonzaga had a great rivalry series for 80+ years and Few ended it. WSU leads the series by a wide margin and while Gonzaga has dominated the last 20 years the games were still competitive. I will not root for Gonzaga again until the series is renewed and their fans are almost as putrid as the Mutts.

Don't hold your breath on gu ever playing WSU again, even if WSU becomes a consistent top of the Pac12 team. Few hates gu and since they can sell out every game I don't think they have much to gain by playing WSU. If uw gets their bball program back on track I hope they dump the zags.

Not a fan anymore and formerly a big fan having grown up going to a lot of gu games.

Raise your hand if you've even cornered few and told him it was Chicken shyt that gu was cancelling the series with WSU.

My dislike of Gonzaga goes back to long before they were relevant on the basketball court. I helped design the concrete canoe that we used to compete in the 1992 ASCE/Master Builder's concrete canoe competition. We had a good team of people and WSU had dominated the event in the Northwest since its inception in 1988 with first place finishes each year. In 1992, the regional competition was held in Olympia and there were about a dozen boats from different colleges in the area. Gonzaga brought an impressive looking boat that was well finished but looked more like a crew shell than a canoe. The problem with it's design is that while it was incredibly fast.....it couldn't turn. One of the most important parts of the competition was a race across a lake/river/body of water and around a set of buoys and then back to the start line. Because their boat wouldn't turn, their solution was to simply change the direction that that they were facing and paddle back. After the first race, they were told that the rules expressly called for the boats to turn around the buoys and that they had to do so. They went from first place to last place when following the rules. Needless to say, they were no longer a contender after that. For those that don't care, we won the region for the fifth straight time and due some great work by some of my team-mates on the presentation part of the national competition, our team finished 6th out of 24 teams that competed in Fort Collins that year.

For me, that established Gonzaga as the school that doesn't worry about following the rules when it comes to winning a competition. Before that race, I barely knew that Gonzaga was in Spokane and had never thought about them much. I was shocked when they started the competition talking tough and laying it on us like we were bitter rivals because frankly, I viewed them as a glorified community college at the time. It did set the tone for my long term dislike of them though.

One cannot argue with their quality of basketball though. I like the way they play ball, it's entertaining, they share the ball well, like hoops should be played..... I always want WSU to beat them, but I enjoy their game and attend some games at GU. Truth be told. WSU hoops is very difficult to watch. GU VS huskies...... GU every time!!!!

You may not like Gonzaga but you have to respect what they've done. They saw an opportunity to 'build a brand' and seized it by recruiting Northwest kids that WSU turned their nose up at.

The WSU powers that be decided to look westward instead and fumbled around with crap like the Seattle game and such. Hell, I'm not sure V. Lane even knew how to turn right off of 195. Father Spitzer ate WSU's lunch and formed really strong bonds with the community leaders in Spokane and made seeing and being seen at GU games a cool thing.

And aside from the Bennett years and Year 1 of Bone, WSU basketball has been stinky as moldy Cougar Gold. You can remember when it was good but not gonna take a bite from the hairy, nasty mess left in the can.

Not surprised at all there are Coug/Zag fans out there.

Reactions: Cougzz
Observer,

You seem really plugged in to the Greater Spokane community.

What do you make of Mark Few?

He seems like such a lightning rod for those Cougs who don't like GU.

Is it just envy of Few's remarkable success or is there something else at work with all the personal vitriol?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT