ADVERTISEMENT

Nice win!

How_did_this_happen?

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Nov 3, 2012
Always nice bearing UCLA. We're better than Kentucky, right?

Now where are we going to get the other PAC-12 win? UW? ;)

Always nice bearing UCLA. We're better than Kentucky, right?

Now where are we going to get the other PAC-12 win? UW? ;)

9-5, 1-1 in conference. We were looking down the barrel of 0-2 after the USC game. Good job, EK, for keeping this team focused.

I only was able to catch from the end of the first half but they did a nice job playing together and players like Suggs and Callison stepped up and shot well. They are going to need more of that kind of play to win some games. It doesn't make up for the SC debacle but a good step in the other direction.

Now the shinola gang is now confusedly scratching their ,, er heads and wondering what happened. They have ripped Kent on his recruiting etc and whatever they can think of.Kent has recruited well and yes shinola s he has a PAC 12 roster. It is a young team who has to recognize that only a 100 % effort will win games.I still hope that the cougs will finish above ,500 in conference play. They will only win by playing together. IKe may have realized that he can go 1 on 5 every time he touches the ball. Bring on Kentucky in Pullman

Suggs and Callison played at a higher level than they have in the past few games and that was needed. We had a very balanced attack which is generally characteristic of what Kent teams do (able to hurt you from every position). I hoped for 2-0 as I always do, but I expected 1-1, but honestly this was the exact opposite of how I expected to get to 1-1:)

Lets hope Suggs and Callison can can continue to play at the level they did against UCLA. Johnson also had a good game and Clifford goes 5-5 for 10 points.

The 3's are finally starting to drop for Hawkinson as well. Something that always looked like just a matter of time.

Good and impressive win. It really makes a difference when Que plays well....is it too late to expect some consistency from him? Hope not.

Hawkinson is clearly one of the very best players in the conference and one of the best bigs WSU has had in many years. It appears Clifford provided great inside scoring from the bench. (Anyone know where Izundu was? His name wasn't listed in the box score).

Very encouraging result after the USC game. It really does appear that any team can beat any other team in the conference on any given night. That certainly includes the Cougars.

Glad Cougar

i expected a 3-0 PAC 12 start for the season. The next USC game will be a close game.

Good and impressive win. It really makes a difference when Que plays well....is it too late to expect some consistency from him? Hope not.

Hawkinson is clearly one of the very best players in the conference and one of the best bigs WSU has had in many years. It appears Clifford provided great inside scoring from the bench. (Anyone know where Izundu was? His name wasn't listed in the box score).

Very encouraging result after the USC game. It really does appear that any team can beat any other team in the conference on any given night. That certainly includes the Cougars.

Glad Cougar
Que was one of my preseason keys to the season because of his obvious scoring potential but he's hit-and-miss at this point. Hopefully when he's not locked in King is and we don't lose the production from their spot. Same deal with Ike, Callison, Suggs. We need 2 of 3 producing game-to-game.

Izundu and Clifford's minutes depend on matchups. Longrus actually stepped up and was productive and also why we will continue to see Boese get minutes off the bench.

I think you're exactly right on Clifford, Izundu and Longrus. Clifford is an effective scorer but a real liability against anyone with quicks. Izundu plays good defense some of the time. He can be very good defender if he keeps after it all the time. However he is an offensive liability. He cannot score other than layups or dunks and for some reason he has a real hard time hanging onto the ball. Don't know if he has small hands or what. Longrus is solid. He's a leader, knows the game and is a very good defender. His height is a liability and he is not a scorer. Boese is Boese. I will say one thing though - no one out works him.

Que continues to disappoint me. He has flashes but doesn't seem to keep his head in it. I'm beginning to really like King. I also like the Ike, Callison, Suggs rotation. I cringe whenever Redding comes in.

Izundu is a great shot blocker but he needs to learn when to go for the block and when not to. He tries to block every shot which often leaves him out of position to rebound,. Also teams are starting to pick up on his tendency to try and block everything and are waiting for him to commit then dumping it to his guy wide open under the basket. Its just part of a learning curve, I get the impression he hasn't played a ton of basketball.

We have a lot of JC kids to assimilate. Our first conference game featured a really bad matchup with USC super mobile bigs. King, Callison and Suggs have really upgraded our athleticism. Even though Izundu and Clifford are limited to certain situations they compliment each other well.

There will be more games like USC this year, but also more like UCLA. If we can get close to 500 this season we could be very good next year.

I do not see any more USC games . The team now knows what it takes to win.As i stated earlier ,the net USC game will be a close game. The cougs may upset them net time

Missed in all this is the defensive job Ike did on Alford. I always thought he had the tools to be a lock down defender. Kent made a point of talking about the unselfish way Ike gave up scoring to shut Alford down.

Missed in all this is the defensive job Ike did on Alford. I always thought he had the tools to be a lock down defender. Kent made a point of talking about the unselfish way Ike gave up scoring to shut Alford down.

Arizona has some really good athletes who can defend, but they couldn't stop Alford when it mattered. This just illustrates your point about Ike's effort.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT