ADVERTISEMENT

Only 400 tickets left for the USC game!

CPtheCoug

Head Coach
Jan 16, 2014
Got an email about it this morning, hopefully its a frickin sell out!

Obligatory "we need to focus on one game at a time" comment.

Now that that's out of the way once we beat Nevada I think that USC game might be one of the biggest games (not including Apple Cups) for Pullman in years. I really really really hope the game being on a Friday doesn't affect attendance too much. I remember the 2014 Oregon game, for me that was the loudest I have ever heard Martin Stadium. I mean people were standing from start to finish, even the alumni side!

Lord knows we need Martin rockin' from start to finish if we want to pull the upset!

EDIT: USC just sold out!

Last edited:

Now that that's out of the way once we beat Nevada I think that USC game might be one of the biggest games (not including Apple Cups) for Pullman in years. I really really really hope the game being on a Friday doesn't affect attendance too much. I remember the 2014 Oregon game, for me that was the loudest I have ever heard Martin Stadium. I mean people were standing from start to finish, even the alumni side!

Lord knows we need Martin rockin' from start to finish if we want to pull the upset!

Loudest I'd ever heard it was 2002 U$C. 2014 was shades of that. It used to be like that all the time during the 01-03 run.

And just like that, game is sold out (per WSU Twitter):

DKMtaqBVAAAobmw

EDIT: USC just sold out!

I was looking at our past schedules to see what games.....in Pullman.......were close to the level of importance as the upcoming USC game. My thoughts....

2016 vs #5 UW - we were only 8-3 (#23) but a win would have put us in the Pac-12 championship game.
2015 vs #8 Stanford - we were 5-2 and they were 6-1 and it ended up being the game that showed we were legit, even in a losing cause.
2006 vs #3 USC - not really on the same level, but we were 3-1, they were at their peak and it was a great game.
2002 vs #18 USC - this game ended up being a more impressive win than it looked at the time. USC had gotten beat by KSU a couple weeks before so they weren't highly ranked, but who knew what kind of juggernaut that Pete was brewing up?
2002 vs #15 Oregon - nice win over a 7-2 Duck team whose wheels were falling off due to the Dixon? injury
2001 vs #11 Oregon - 6-1 Ducks vs 7-0 WSU at #14. Arguably the biggest Martin Stadium match-up in the last 20 years.

Reactions: Fab5Coug
I was looking at our past schedules to see what games.....in Pullman.......were close to the level of importance as the upcoming USC game. My thoughts....

2016 vs #5 UW - we were only 8-3 (#23) but a win would have put us in the Pac-12 championship game.
2015 vs #8 Stanford - we were 5-2 and they were 6-1 and it ended up being the game that showed we were legit, even in a losing cause.
2006 vs #3 USC - not really on the same level, but we were 3-1, they were at their peak and it was a great game.
2002 vs #18 USC - this game ended up being a more impressive win than it looked at the time. USC had gotten beat by KSU a couple weeks before so they weren't highly ranked, but who knew what kind of juggernaut that Pete was brewing up?
2002 vs #15 Oregon - nice win over a 7-2 Duck team whose wheels were falling off due to the Dixon? injury
2001 vs #11 Oregon - 6-1 Ducks vs 7-0 WSU at #14. Arguably the biggest Martin Stadium match-up in the last 20 years.
The Furd game 2 years ago was very loud. I was thinking the atmosphere for the SC game this year would be similar. Especially if both teams take care of business this weekend.

I'd throw in the matchup at Autzen in 2003 where we went in and laid a beat down to the Ducks the week after they knocked off a top 5 Michigan team.

I'd throw in the matchup at Autzen in 2003 where we went in and laid a beat down to the Ducks the week after they knocked off a top 5 Michigan team.

I'd agree.....but my list starts out with a limitation to games in Pullman. If you include road games that mattered, 2016 CU, 2016 Stanford, 2015 Oregon, 2003 USC, 2002 Ohio State and 1997 ASU were all games where we were respectable and facing off against ranked teams in road games that either made, or would have made, a huge influence on our program.

I'd agree.....but my list starts out with a limitation to games in Pullman. If you include road games that mattered, 2016 CU, 2016 Stanford, 2015 Oregon, 2003 USC, 2002 Ohio State and 1997 ASU were all games where we were respectable and facing off against ranked teams in road games that either made, or would have made, a huge influence on our program.

I would say we weren't exactly respectable going into the 2015 Oregon game.

2014 we finished 3-9! At the time we were BARELY 2-2; we had come off an embarrassing opening loss to Portland State, barely beat Rutgers, performed "okay" against Wyoming and then lost a CAL game we should have won. Emotionally and realistically at the time we were NOT considered a strong opponent going into that game. AFTER we beat Oregon, though, was the universal wake up call to the rest of the league that we had some fight in us.

I would say we weren't exactly respectable going into the 2015 Oregon game.

2014 we finished 3-9! At the time we were BARELY 2-2; we had come off an embarrassing opening loss to Portland State, barely beat Rutgers, performed "okay" against Wyoming and then lost a CAL game we should have won. Emotionally and realistically at the time we were NOT considered a strong opponent going into that game. AFTER we beat Oregon, though, was the universal wake up call to the rest of the league that we had some fight in us.

You are right that the 2015 Oregon game is sketchy to be on the list.

Reactions: CPtheCoug
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT