ADVERTISEMENT

Pac-12 Network

Loyal Coug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 27, 2003
I watched most this "All-Century" team show the other night. Or last night, I forget.
It was basically one player per position, then a couple of honorable mentions.I missed the RB's and WR's, so I don;t know if WSU had any HM's, but our lone player on the First string was Jason Hanson.

But what a joke - most of the team was either UCLA or USC players, particularly USC. As such the related highlights were primarily USC-UCLA games.

John Elway was chosen as the Offensive player - while yes he was a great college QB, did he ever even have a winning record or go to a bowl game?

Beyond that, this had to cost some bucks to put together. tons of interview snippets with former players and coaches. I'd like to know how much money (that could be going to schools) they spend on these types of programs.

Thats crazy, one could argue that Reuben Mays who put up about 357 yards, tons of TD's, on, against Oregon, and about 150 to 200 yards, 1,2,3, TD's per game, and about 2000 to 2300 to 2500 to 2650 yards, 10 to 30 TD's in a single season, and then went on to a good NFL career, was probably, may have been the best Pac 12 RB of the Century.

Jerome Harrison, and the Ghost were good candidates as well.

At worst Reuben Mays should have been at least Honorable Mention FIRST STRING TEAM, AT WORST.

And Drew Bledsoe should have been Honorable Mention, 2nd String.

I think Elway, Aikman, Moon, Huard, Mark Brunel, Bledsoe would be the best Pac 12 QB's ever.

And I think only Elway was better then Bledsoe.

So Bledsoe should have been Honorable Mention, 2nd String Team.

Thats crazy, one could argue that Reuben Mays who put up about 357 yards, tons of TD's, on, against Oregon, and about 150 to 200 yards, 1,2,3, TD's per game, and about 2000 to 2300 to 2500 to 2650 yards, 10 to 30 TD's in a single season, and then went on to a good NFL career, was probably, may have been the best Pac 12 RB of the Century.

Jerome Harrison, and the Ghost were good candidates as well.

At worst Reuben Mays should have been at least Honorable Mention FIRST STRING TEAM, AT WORST.

And Drew Bledsoe should have been Honorable Mention, 2nd String.

I think Elway, Aikman, Moon, Huard, Mark Brunel, Bledsoe would be the best Pac 12 QB's ever.

And I think only Elway was better then Bledsoe.

So Bledsoe should have been Honorable Mention, 2nd String Team.
I submit to you that Charles White, Marcus Allen, and OJ Simpson might dispute your contention regarding Mayes, and that Leaf in college was superior to Bledsoe. Elway might be the most physically gifted QB in Pac history, and the most decorated in the NFL, but yes the teams around him were iffy at best. Plunkett won a Heisman and a conference title. Leinart and McDonald and Haden at USC had the best teams around them but they were merely smart and competent QBs. Aikman had one or two good years at UCLA but Tom Ramsey won a couple Rose Bowls and Aikman got beat by Rodney Peete for the '88 title. If the criteria is a career of achievements I'd think hard about Andrew Luck. Single season performance I'd take Leaf.

[QUOTE="random soul, post: 210006, member: 92"...Aikman had one or two good years at UCLA but Tom Ramsey won a couple Rose Bowls and Aikman got beat by Rodney Peete for the '88 title.[/QUOTE]
Pretty sure Aikmen was only an honorable mention in ‘88, his senior year. Peete was first team and Rosenbach was second team if memory serves me right.

[QUOTE="random soul, post: 210006, member: 92"...Aikman had one or two good years at UCLA but Tom Ramsey won a couple Rose Bowls and Aikman got beat by Rodney Peete for the '88 title.
Pretty sure Aikmen was only an honorable mention in ‘88, his senior year. Peete was first team and Rosenbach was second team if memory serves me right.[/QUOTE]
Yeah that sounds right. Being great in the NFL doesn't make you the greatest Pac QB, at least to me

Reactions: SDCoug
Pretty sure Aikmen was only an honorable mention in ‘88, his senior year. Peete was first team and Rosenbach was second team if memory serves me right.
Yeah that sounds right. Being great in the NFL doesn't make you the greatest Pac QB, at least to me[/QUOTE]
I mean, you got to put Jerome Harrison right in that mix for 2 reasons..... He was the nation's leading rusher within a program known for passing and he did so on an extremely mediocre team at best. Although he only had a couple seasons with us, I'd argue if he was with us his entire college career and was surrounded by a better team with better coaches, we'd be talking about the all time Pac-12 leading rusher IMHO (yes a lot of if's in there but this is what the offseason is all about).

Yeah that sounds right. Being great in the NFL doesn't make you the greatest Pac QB, at least to me
I mean, you got to put Jerome Harrison right in that mix for 2 reasons..... He was the nation's leading rusher within a program known for passing and he did so on an extremely mediocre team at best. Although he only had a couple seasons with us, I'd argue if he was with us his entire college career and was surrounded by a better team with better coaches, we'd be talking about the all time Pac-12 leading rusher IMHO (yes a lot of if's in there but this is what the offseason is all about).[/QUOTE]

Not only that, but Jerome Harrison had about 2000 yards rushing, and about 10 to 20 TD's in a single season

I dont think Marcus Allen, OJ Simpson, etc, stats are as good as Reuben Mayes, Jerome Harrison

And if their stats were as good, it was at a USC, etc, instead of at a Pass happy WSU.

For Reuben Mays to get 357 yards, 2,3,4 TD's against Oregon, 150-200, 1,2,3 TD's per game, 2000 to 2300 to 2650 yards, 10 to 30 TD's in a season at PASS HAPPY WSU in FREAKING AMAZING.

would Marcus Allen, OJ Simpson, etc have been able to do that at WSU?

I dont think so.

And if some point to Marcus, OJ, etc, winning more games, championships, etc, that is more the team they were on, instead of being at WSU, then on them.

Also they ran the ball like 1000 times per game at USC etc.

And doubt that Marcus, OJ would have put up their stats, at WSU, or would have made WSU win championships, etc.

While Marcus Allen, OJ Simpson, etc, had better NFL career then Reuben Mays, Reuben Mays was probably better at, in college.

I mean, you got to put Jerome Harrison right in that mix for 2 reasons..... He was the nation's leading rusher within a program known for passing and he did so on an extremely mediocre team at best. Although he only had a couple seasons with us, I'd argue if he was with us his entire college career and was surrounded by a better team with better coaches, we'd be talking about the all time Pac-12 leading rusher IMHO (yes a lot of if's in there but this is what the offseason is all about).

Not only that, but Jerome Harrison had about 2000 yards rushing, and about 10 to 20 TD's in a single season

I dont think Marcus Allen, OJ Simpson, etc, stats are as good as Reuben Mayes, Jerome Harrison

And if their stats were as good, it was at a USC, etc, instead of at a Pass happy WSU.

For Reuben Mays to get 357 yards, 2,3,4 TD's against Oregon, 150-200, 1,2,3 TD's per game, 2000 to 2300 to 2650 yards, 10 to 30 TD's in a season at PASS HAPPY WSU in FREAKING AMAZING.

would Marcus Allen, OJ Simpson, etc have been able to do that at WSU?

I dont think so.

And if some point to Marcus, OJ, etc, winning more games, championships, etc, that is more the team they were on, instead of being at WSU, then on them.

Also they ran the ball like 1000 times per game at USC etc.

And doubt that Marcus, OJ would have put up their stats, at WSU, or would have made WSU win championships, etc.

While Marcus Allen, OJ Simpson, etc, had better NFL career then Reuben Mays, Reuben Mays was probably better at, in college.[/QUOTE]
Marcus Allen was a beast at USC. Yes he had a better supporting cast, but seriously, watch the footage of him running over, around, and through people even when defenders got to him. Mayes was good, but Allen was better, and so was OJ. Also, WSU under Walden was uh, not pass happy. Maybe threw the ball more than SC, party because they had to, but nobody talks about the 'rump turn' spread

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT