ADVERTISEMENT

Road Sweep

Ed…Coach k and dean Smitn are not burning clock and waiting to get fouled at that point. It’s way too early in the game.

As for the free throws, they didn’t take any down the stretch. They just pissed away two possessions trying to milk every second off the clock…one possession ended in a Steph curry range contested 3, the other we didn’t even come close to getting a shot off. There comes a time in a game where clock is more valuable than a possession and we weren’t there yet. Run your damn offense and get a good look, even if it’s with 10 seconds left on the shot clock. Kyle smith F’d the end of that game up like Leach F’d the end of the CSU bowl game up (in the opposite way I’ll be it). I love Smith he’s awesome but that shit can’t happen the margins are too thin for us.
wtf are you talking about . Ever hear of four corners ?

If you burn clock, get fouled and make your free throws you win . Simple as that .

That may well have been a contributing (but not only) factor at the very end of the game, but it doesn't explain everything that came before that. Are you going to blame fatigue for their inability to second turnover #2 until after 30 minutes of game action? Couldn't get a second steal, a second travel call, force a second bad pass, a second 5 second call on inbounds, a second turnover of any kind. Inexcusable!
How much zone did they play ? And despite everything you said hit free throws and they win.

I wonder if minutes caught up to us a bit at the end of the game against Cal.

Stanford, Jakimovski 37, Rice 36, Jones 35, Wells 31, Cluff 29.

Cal, Jakimovski 43, Rice 42, Jones 34, Wells 38, Cluff 23.

Rice especially given he's in his first year. He had the late open midrange shot that I expected him to knock down. Then the first few possessions in OT where we couldn't clear a defensive board. We miss Yesefu a ton. Could take minutes from Rice at the point and still have a scorer on the floor.
I dunno. Our bench played 10 more minutes than theirs. What I see is Cluff only playing 23 minutes with only 2 rebounds (both offensive) while Cal had 13 offensive rebounds.

wtf are you talking about . Ever hear of four corners ?

If you burn clock, get fouled and make your free throws you win . Simple as that .
Well dipshit apparently cal didn’t get that memo because they patiently let the Cougs run the clock down and not get a good shot then proceeded to head down to the other end of the floor and stick it up our ass. We were never at a point where we could run the clock out without getting points. It’s really not that complicated.

Well dipshit apparently cal didn’t get that memo because they patiently let the Cougs run the clock down and not get a good shot then proceeded to head down to the other end of the floor and stick it up our ass. We were never at a point where we could run the clock out without getting points. It’s really not that complicated.
“Dipshit” ? Ouch . That really hurts coming from you since we are so close .

So what dipshit observed was horrible coaching at first, then great coaching to get up back up by seven, then collapsed .So he was one for three .

Hit free throws at 70% clip and win. Kinda like winning in spite of your coach.

I love those who nit pick. The coach who lost four starters, one to USC , one to Villanova, one to the NBA, and one to the G league. Yet he rebuilt the roster better with less resources and you piss and moan about the outcome when the kids are the ones who win and lose down the stretch . No wonder coaches leave and honestly I don’t blame them. But that is just one dipshits opinion.

“Dipshit” ? Ouch . That really hurts coming from you since we are so close .

So what dipshit observed was horrible coaching at first, then great coaching to get up back up by seven, then collapsed .So he was one for three .

Hit free throws at 70% clip and win. Kinda like winning in spite of your coach.

I love those who nit pick. The coach who lost four starters, one to USC , one to Villanova, one to the NBA, and one to the G league. Yet he rebuilt the roster better with less resources and you piss and moan about the outcome when the kids are the ones who win and lose down the stretch . No wonder coaches leave and honestly I don’t blame them. But that is just one dipshits opinion.
Ed, did I not say I love Kyle smith and he’s awesome? He also booted the game. Both can be true. Just like leach was awesome and made poor decisions towards the end of games like CSU. It’s not nitpicking it’s stating fact.

Going 49% from the Freethrow line is NOT acceptable. If it happens 1 time over the season, then yes maybe it would be borderline acceptable.

When I was at Big Bend Community College, as a student, mascot, player, etc, their BBALL TEAM NEVER SHOT 49%, in fact I don't think they have even shot 49% over the last 33 years

WSU has lost at least 2 games because of BAD freethrow shooting, and have even had BAD freethrow shooting in wins, and have been CONSISTENTLY BAD IN THEIR FREETHROW SHOOTING MOST OF THE SEASON.

WSU's BAD FREETHROW SHOOTING, shooting 49% to 58% to 67% time and time and time and time again is costing WSU wins.

WSU's EXTREMELY BAD 49% FREETHROW SHOOTING COST THEM THE GAME.
Forgot to reply to this yesterday. Mik, read the box score - we shot 65%, not 49% from the FT line. 65% still sucks, but is way different than 49%.

Ed, did I not say I love Kyle smith and he’s awesome? He also booted the game. Both can be true. Just like leach was awesome and made poor decisions towards the end of games like CSU. It’s not nitpicking it’s stating fact.
You don't need to refer to fellow posters as dipshits. Even Ed deserves better than that. Not much perhaps, but c'mon.

Reactions: Coug90
I dunno. Our bench played 10 more minutes than theirs. What I see is Cluff only playing 23 minutes with only 2 rebounds (both offensive) while Cal had 13 offensive rebounds.
Looking deeper than just the totals and at both games. Cal's bench played 11 more than we did in their first game and as Rich posted it's was their home game. In game 2, Chinyelu took over half of the bench minutes mostly for Cluff. Over the 2 games, Rice played 78 minutes, Jones 69, Jakimovski 80, Wells 69. We really couldn't afford to have them off the court for too long.

On Cluff, Smith indicated he hurt his ankle in the Stanford game. Love Cluff, but that probably slowed down a guy who doesn't have a ton of athleticism.

The rebound difference speaks to a team that seem to run low on fumes. We really could not stop Tyson period. I thought we got some good shots at the end of the game. Jakimovski hit a big 3 and then missed a big 3 that was an open shot. Rice missed a mid-range shot late. Forgetting the other stuff other than the shot clock violation.

Brilliant! Make every shot the entire game and win
make your free throws when you are up and you when . Did Smith get stupid in last three minutes of the Cal game and brilliant last three minutes of the Stanford game ?

Last three minutes when you are up make your free throws and you win . When I say make your free throws hit 70% of them .

It is also about players making plays . Sorry you don’t get that .

make your free throws when you are up and you when . Did Smith get stupid in last three minutes of the Cal game and brilliant last three minutes of the Stanford game ?

Last three minutes when you are up make your free throws and you win . When I say make your free throws hit 70% of them .

It is also about players making plays . Sorry you don’t get that .
Of course it is about players making plays. That cliché is true in every single sport at every single level, from PeeWee through the pros. And if they had made some plays that needed to made all through out the game, those late free throws would be irrelevant.

Speaking of making plays, I have no way of proving this, perhaps some crack media stats team would have the resources, but I would bet that there are a lot more college basketball teams that have won games while shooting 65% from the line than have won games while only getting 2 turnovers during regulation. That is a pathetic effort. Or lack of a focused effort if you will.

I was surprisingly frustrated by Saturday's loss. More than I though I would be. WSU has to find a way to win that game if it wants to be in the conversation for a tourney bid. Same crap different year. I need to emotionally detach from even thinking we have a chance. I'll wait until March.

You’re right, uncalled for Ed, my bad.
Ah, that's better. Group hug all around. :)

Speaking of rebounds, I missed the first few plays of overtime. From what the announcer said, did Cal get two offensive rebounds right there at the start?

Ah, that's better. Group hug all around. :)

Speaking of rebounds, I missed the first few plays of overtime. From what the announcer said, did Cal get two offensive rebounds right there at the start?
Actually, it was THREE consecutive offensive rebounds, leading to a made 3-pointer by Celestine.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT