ADVERTISEMENT

Root Cause ~ It's our fault

M-I-Coug

Hall Of Fame
Oct 13, 2002
Mercer Island
Tell me if I'm wrong.

People everywhere are blaming everybody, everything and everyone. I haven't seen anyone blame yourself. What? For cutting the cord.

The mass market has chosen to cut the cord. As a result, Network Television is dead, which has been replaced by ala cart Streaming Subscription Services.

The numbers are ridiculously down, as in WAY DOWN with "eyes on TV" for FOX, ESPN, ABC, NBC, and CBS. Not to mention we DVR and record the games to skip the commercials. (That in itself is HUGE).

The Root Cause is that Football Fans have chosen to cut the cord and stream. It's that simple. Numbers are simply down. As a result, advertising revenue is down.

Since their goal is to increase revenue, the Big 10 had to poach the LA market in order to get their TV revenue up.

It's that simple.

Last edited:
Reactions: WindyCityCoug
I think at the end of this next media deal, you could be correct. In current times there is still a huge demand for live programming and the networks need to fill this void with college sports.

I do think we (as schools) need to face the reality that the future media dollars might not be there and bolster our ability to be somewhat self-sufficient.

Why does a University need $100 million per year in TV revenue? Because someone else has $90? The insane amount of money poor into college sports is the issue. If we want to blame the consumer its for spending too much resources into a amautuer game, not for trying to spend less.

Reactions: acgcoug and ATACFD
Tell me if I'm wrong.

People everywhere are blaming everybody, everything and everyone. I haven't seen anyone blame yourself. What? For cutting the cord.

The mass market has chosen to cut the cord. As a result, Network Television is dead, which has been replaced by ala cart Streaming Subscription Services.

The numbers are ridiculously down, as in WAY DOWN with "eyes on TV" for FOX, ESPN, ABC, NBC, and CBS. Not to mention we DVR and record the games to skip the commercials. (That in itself is HUGE).

The Root Cause is that Football Fans have chosen to cut the cord and stream. It's that simple. Numbers are simply down. As a result, advertising revenue is down.

Since their goal is to increase revenue, the Big 10 had to poach the LA market in order to get their TV revenue up.

It's that simple.
That double standard must be sarcasm right? So blame the common individual for trying to minimize costs but if a bloated multimillion dollar organization gets upset that they aren't making as much INSANE profit as they used to, we are supposed to feel guilty. Yeah, sure.

That double standard must be sarcasm right? So blame the common individual for trying to minimize costs but if a bloated multimillion dollar organization gets upset that they aren't making as much INSANE profit as they used to, we are supposed to feel guilty. Yeah, sure.
The advertisers refuse to pay a premium when traditional network television is dead.

Moreover, the residential subscribers who have Cable, DISH Network, or DirecTV, typically RECORD and SKIP the commercials anyway.

P12 Networks Advertising Update:

Say goodbye to:
Mercedes, Lexus, BMW & Audi.

Say hello to:
Reverse Mortgage right for you? by Tom Selleck, spokesman.
The Relief Factor, fish oil pill by Pat Boone, spokesman.
Wounded Warriors Project
Rosland Capital, "You need to buy GOLD COINS"!, William Devane, spokesman.

Last edited:
Reactions: WindyCityCoug
The advertisers refuse to pay a premium when traditional network television is dead.

Moreover, the residenntial subscribers who have Cable, DISH, or DirecTV, typically RECORD and SKIP the commercials anyway.

I don’t think there’s a lot of recording going on with live sports and I record almost everything.

Tell me if I'm wrong.

It's that simple.

I would buy into the argument if it was really about maintaining cash flow. This has nothing to do with that. The B1G scalping USC and UCLA is all about INCREASING cash flow. They are going to go from getting paid around $770 million per year to over $1 billion per year. Their annual payout is going to rise from just over $54 million per year to just over $62 million per year. In other words, if they are arguing that they are just trying to keep their heads above water, they are lying.

The reality is that they just want more money to throw at coaches and facilities in the never ending arms race. It's about keeping ahead of the Joneses with no regard for the consequences.

I would buy into the argument if it was really about maintaining cash flow. This has nothing to do with that. The B1G scalping USC and UCLA is all about INCREASING cash flow. They are going to go from getting paid around $770 million per year to over $1 billion per year. Their annual payout is going to rise from just over $54 million per year to just over $62 million per year. In other words, if they are arguing that they are just trying to keep their heads above water, they are lying.

The reality is that they just want more money to throw at coaches and facilities in the never ending arms race. It's about keeping ahead of the Joneses with no regard for the consequences.
If this is the case, there won't be any Jones' to keep ahead of if the well of CFB $$$ dries up for all the other programs.

Moreover, the residential subscribers who have Cable, DISH Network, or DirecTV, typically RECORD and SKIP the commercials anyway.

P12 Networks Advertising Update:

Say goodbye to:
Mercedes, Lexus, BMW & Audi.

Say hello to:
Reverse Mortgage right for you? by Tom Selleck, spokesman.
The Relief Factor, fish oil pill by Pat Boone, spokesman.
Rosland Capital, "You need to buy GOLD COINS"!, William Devane, spokesman.
They are lazy.

There are several other ways of advertising during tv broadcasts besides completely stopping whatever is on for 2-5 minutes at a time: a scroll, on field ads, uniform ads, split screen, commentators do live ads, etc

Reactions: M-I-Coug
Tell me if I'm wrong.

It's that simple.

Also football is the monster that consumes everything in its path. It can never have "enough" money. It is always building gold-plated facilities.

Utopias in this life. Just like the universities that sponsor them...all at taxpayers' expense.

Tell me if I'm wrong.

It's that simple.
Even if your argument is true, the media outlets share the blame for not moving with the times and figuring out a way to maintain that revenue. Cord-cutting was a completely predictable outcome - so much so that it was part of the advertising campaigns - but they didn't adapt to it.

Web-based services did - youtube, pandora, etc. give you the option to pay extra to remove ads. DVR services should have done the same thing.

the well of consumerism seemingly never dries up in the US, even during times of double digit inflation like right now.
I agree with this but thing with consumerism is that the people decide where their dollars are spent. So if WSU and other programs like it are shut out of these (what is beginning to look like) Super Conferences, the amount of money these programs will see are going to be peanuts compared to the chosen programs.

Reactions: M-I-Coug
I agree with this but thing with consumerism is that the people decide where their dollars are spent. So if WSU and other programs like it are shut out of these (what is beginning to look like) Super Conferences, the amount of money these programs will see are going to be peanuts compared to the chosen programs.
Agreed, and the Super Conferences will be able to attract the Tier 1 Accounts, (big ticket advertisers).

It's not the consumer's fault with cord-cutting. Cord-cutting primarily has created fragmentation, not resulted in lower expenditures. Some of the money that used to go to basic cable now goes to Amazon Prime, Hulu, Apple TV, Netflix, Youtube TV, and the rest. Millions of households still have cable.

Other sports either have figured this out and are dealing with it. The "fault" lies with an insatiable push for more facilities, more expensive coaches, armies of assistants and analysts, more money going to players, etc., all of which can only be supported by the biggest programs.

If cord-cutting hadn't happened in a material way yet and we still had the usual situations with network partners and cable, this still would have happened. It might even have been accelerated. It would be the same kinds of programs trying to be in the most lucrative situations to keep up with the Joneses, and the Pac-12 would still have its challenges with geography, a lack of additional markets or candidates out west, and time zones. It isn't because USC "needs" $100m in rights money coming in every year. USC wants more money to compete at the highest levels, which are becoming more stratified.

It's not the consumer's fault with cord-cutting. Cord-cutting primarily has created fragmentation, not resulted in lower expenditures. Some of the money that used to go to basic cable now goes to Amazon Prime, Hulu, Apple TV, Netflix, Youtube TV, and the rest. Millions of households still have cable.

Other sports either have figured this out and are dealing with it. The "fault" lies with an insatiable push for more facilities, more expensive coaches, armies of assistants and analysts, more money going to players, etc., all of which can only be supported by the biggest programs.

If cord-cutting hadn't happened in a material way yet and we still had the usual situations with network partners and cable, this still would have happened. It might even have been accelerated. It would be the same kinds of programs trying to be in the most lucrative situations to keep up with the Joneses, and the Pac-12 would still have its challenges with geography, a lack of additional markets or candidates out west, and time zones. It isn't because USC "needs" $100m in rights money coming in every year. USC wants more money to compete at the highest levels, which are becoming more stratified.
I respectively disagree. Advertisers won't pay the big bucks when Network Television is dead. For those of us that still have Cable, Dish Network, or DirecTV, we have between 190 (basic) and over 290 Channel (max) and only watch 5 channels, at the most. Network Television is dead, so the advertisers have bailed, unless the numbers can justify.

Pac-12 Networks is a grind, with weak Ratings, unless you're okay with low budget advertisers, such as
Reverse Mortgages, Wounded Warriors, and Rosland Capital.

The only way to get the Ratings and the numbers up is what the Big 10 is doing by creating a Super Conference, which attracts Tier 1 Accounts, big ticket advertisers, such Mercedes, Lexus, Range Rover, Porche, GM, Ford, Chrysler, Jeep, BMW, Subaru, Audi, Nissan, Mazda and Volkswagen.

BREAKING NEWS Update: We're merging with the ACC so we can sell Lexus and Mercedes instead of Fish Oil Pills and Reverse Mortgages.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikalalas
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT